Menu

What is the rule for video games at your house??

We are having major issues with ds7 about video games. It is my fault. I bought them for him. This is the only thing ds wants to do. The rule has always been that no video games until school and chores are done. He is getting these done with no problem. Even though, he does seem to be able to tie everything we learn about to some video:tongue_smilie:. Since Christmas I can not get him to pick anything to do with his free time other than video games. He even tried to bring his Nintendo DS to dinner one night!:glare:

So, I am thinking, that I will let this go on through the weekend and then set some new rules. I am thinking, no Nintendo DS, Wii, or computer at all until after dinner? or not until he has read his free reading book for at least an hour? I am even considering no games except on weekends. I am having a hard time with this because this is something he really loves to do. Also, dh is also very into video games. Since, the Wii showed up at our house I can't get dh to do anything else either!!:tongue_smilie:

What is the video game rules in your house?

We are having major issues with ds7 about video games. It is my fault. I bought them for him. This is the only thing ds wants to do. The rule has always been that no video games until school and chores are done. He is getting these done with no problem. Even though, he does seem to be able to tie everything we learn about to some video:tongue_smilie:. Since Christmas I can not get him to pick anything to do with his free time other than video games. He even tried to bring his Nintendo DS to dinner one night!:glare:

So, I am thinking, that I will let this go on through the weekend and then set some new rules. I am thinking, no Nintendo DS, Wii, or computer at all until after dinner? or not until he has read his free reading book for at least an hour? I am even considering no games except on weekends. I am having a hard time with this because this is something he really loves to do. Also, dh is also very into video games. Since, the Wii showed up at our house I can't get dh to do anything else either!!:tongue_smilie:

30 minutes each on Saturday and Sunday, unless I choose to give them time during the week. They don't ask for time during the week because they know my answer will be no. I had planned to let them each have a bit of time with Wii Outdoor Challenge during the week when it's too cold/snowy/wet/muddy to play outside, but we haven't had time.

The older 3 do stay up late on Friday nights and play games with dh.

My boys each get three 15 minute blocks of computer/video game time each day which they can use all at once or throughout the day (only after school is done.) I use blocks of time because this is what they lose for whining, complaining, fighting, etc during school. This works well for us.

It SO depends on the kid and situation. How long has he had the games? Could it be that he'll self-regulate after a couple months (if you bought them in Dec)?

A couple rules I'd consider:

*X hours on weekends

*1 (or 2) hours after 3pm

*X amt of time unless he earns Y more

*only on weekends

If he regularly has ps friends to play with, I might actually make it where he couldn't play games after 4pm so he'd be riding bikes, playing ball, etc with other boys.

I would NOT do the only after supper because he shouldn't have any screen time in the hour before bed, it'll cut into a bedtime routine, etc.

My son is unable to regulate. We've tried many times (but he didn't have a game at 7). His rule is 1 hour of screen time after all his responsibilities are taken care of. He can also earn up to another hour per day. It is more time than he should have imo, but it is reasonable.

As of right now, oldest DS is in PS. Middle DS is HSed. They are only allowed to play video games on Saturdays. We do allow TV in the evenings after school.

I used to allow them to play both weekend days, but recently cut out Sundays. I like them to have downtime that doesn't revolve around video games.

It SO depends on the kid and situation. How long has he had the games? Could it be that he'll self-regulate after a couple months (if you bought them in Dec)?

A couple rules I'd consider:

*X hours on weekends

*1 (or 2) hours after 3pm

*X amt of time unless he earns Y more

*only on weekends

If he regularly has ps friends to play with, I might actually make it where he couldn't play games after 4pm so he'd be riding bikes, playing ball, etc with other boys.

I would NOT do the only after supper because he shouldn't have any screen time in the hour before bed, it'll cut into a bedtime routine, etc.

My son is unable to regulate. We've tried many times (but he didn't have a game at 7). His rule is 1 hour of screen time after all his responsibilities are taken care of. He can also earn up to another hour per day. It is more time than he should have imo, but it is reasonable.

Ds has had the Nintendo DS for awhile but before Christmas he only hand 2 games. He got a lot more from us and Grandparents for Christmas. So, now he is even more into it. He can not regulate this on his own since the new games. He may not want to play it as much when the new wares off but it doesn't look to be waring off anytime soon!:tongue_smilie:

Also, there are no boys that live on our street. He has his brother and sister to play with but even when we are outside playing he is asking the whole time to go get his DS.

I am thinking we will try the 1 to 2 hours a day after 3. I think that will be a good starting place.

Thanks!

If the child that asks to play has worked cheerfully and diligently at school and has done her chores, I don't really care how long they play. They are getting lots of exercise with the Wii outdoor adventure, stretching their mental skills playing Age of Mythology on the computer and sometimes just plain having fun with Legend of Zelda.

My younger one is on the gifted side and she plays a lot of the things I found on edweb that really stretch her brain. She spent hours on the Frank Lloyd Wright page the other day. I consider that time well spent, she learned a great deal and shared what she learned with clarity and passion.

When they are both done with school they go outside and play together voluntarily.

TV or movies are watched as a family, and rarely otherwise.

Having said that, regarding the hand held games.... My kids loved their Leapsters and used them in the car, on trips, before bedtime and after school. We brought them to the Dr.'s office and anywhere else we were stuck waiting but we didn't let them have them during anything resembling family time.

If he knows he has to do school, chores, and reading before he plays and he is doing what he has to do well and cheerfully, why can't he play?

I know, not in the majority opinion here but it is my .02 for what it's worth.

(of course, I am making 2 assumptions here; first that your child isn't very young, and second, that you chose the games he plays as acceptable)

We don't have video games, but my son likes to play some games on his computer. The rules here are that all school work and other responsibilities must be taken care of, and he needs permission to play. Since he has outside-the-house classes and activities most afternoons, in practice this means he rarely plays computer games at all during the week.

On weekends, he might play for a couple of hours each day if there's nothing more interesting going on.

Edit: Oh, I should add that we have a general rule on weekends that there is no screen time in the morning if we have to be anywhere before noon. That includes TV and computer, because I found that allowing my son to get involved in anything electronic when we have to go somewhere means that we will be late. Since we have church on Sundays and he has choir rehearsals and/or model rocket club two or three Saturdays a month, this means that gaming doesn't start until mid-afternoon even on those days.

Edited by Jenny in Florida

If the child that asks to play has worked cheerfully and diligently at school and has done her chores, I don't really care how long they play. They are getting lots of exercise with the Wii outdoor adventure, stretching their mental skills playing Age of Mythology on the computer and sometimes just plain having fun with Legend of Zelda.

My younger one is on the gifted side and she plays a lot of the things I found on edweb that really stretch her brain. She spent hours on the Frank Lloyd Wright page the other day. I consider that time well spent, she learned a great deal and shared what she learned with clarity and passion.

When they are both done with school they go outside and play together voluntarily.

TV or movies are watched as a family, and rarely otherwise.

Having said that, regarding the hand held games.... My kids loved their Leapsters and used them in the car, on trips, before bedtime and after school. We brought them to the Dr.'s office and anywhere else we were stuck waiting but we didn't let them have them during anything resembling family time.

If he knows he has to do school, chores, and reading before he plays and he is doing what he has to do well and cheerfully, why can't he play?

I know, not in the majority opinion here but it is my .02 for what it's worth.

(of course, I am making 2 assumptions here; first that your child isn't very young, and second, that you chose the games he plays as acceptable)

:iagree:

I found that my kids would not think about anything else unless I really cut down on the video games. We limit the nintendo ds to the car--it keeps kids occupied when shopping and for violin lessons. The gamecube thingie gets played occasionally on weekends for about an hour at a time. We saw a lot of complaints at first about the video games, but now kids are drawing, reading, etc. You will be amazed at the benefits of limiting video games.

Tori

We have a playstation. My dd has a Nintendo and ds has a Leapster 2. They can't play any of them until school work and chores are done (with a good attitude also). I don't watch a clock, just keep track in my mind what they've done and when I know it's been long enough.

The kids got an eye toy for the playstation this Christmas. It puts video of them on the TV screen and they move to play the games. Because this is really physical activity, they can play that a long time. For example, they box a cartoon boxer.

My dd got Brain Age 2 for her ds, but has some other less learning games. Right now, it's her favorite. She does all kinds of mental puzzles, so I feel that it's really good for her. The Leapster 2 is also learning games (math, puzzles, spelling, etc.). She's an avid reader and has neighborhood kids that come play a lot in the afternoons, so she is well-rounded.

My ds is the one we have to watch the most, but if that was all he would do, we'd probably cut it out until he found some other interests that he would do before playing video games during the day.

Our current rule is new. My ds just walked in here and asked, "So I can get used to it and not get mad this weekend, is the hour of screen time on Saturday and Sunday also?"

At least he's learning to control himself and I think it's great that he has enough self-awareness to know he needs time to process things.

ETA: I did give him good news though. Wii's Outdoor Adventure does not count as a video game :)

Very rarely during the week. Unless I'm feeling especially generous and choose to let my 7 year old play late in the afternoon when the kids get squabbly. Primarily we have a system where he earns time for the weekend for cheerful schoolwork, violin practice, etc. Sometimes bonus points for doing something extra. He usually gets up to an hour or so. He can also lose time for negative behaviors. It's pretty controlled here though. My dh is into games too, but he waits till kids are in bed before playing and that's only a couple of nights a week. And the little girls enjoy Animal Crossing on the DS, which they get to do when their brother plays Wii. We enjoy video games and I think keep them in moderation pretty well.

Oh and we have a similar policy to Michele's. Whining, crying, arguing, etc. when it's time to turn things off means you lose future playing time.

Edited by Jami

Each day each child gets 8 chips (we use poker chips I got at wally world.)

Each chip is good for 15 minutes of screen time (TV, video games, computer.)

Chips can't be spent until after school and afternoon chores are done (around 4:30 pm) and can't be spent after bath (around 9:30 pm)

Video games that require exercise (Wii Outdoor Challenenge, Smart Cycle) don't require chips but must still occur within those hours.

Chips are a major currency at our house. Mouth off to mom? Loose a chip. Forgot to finish a chore? Loose a chip. Bust mom yelling to someone in another room (we're trying to bring the noise level in the house down and have instituted a no yelling policy) GET a chip.

We've done this for about a year and it works really well. The kids do end up with more screen time that I think is ideal, but dh and I are both total computer geeks (at home and at work) and spend a lot of time on the computers ourselves.

Looks as if I'm the most generous with video game rules.

We call it screen time, whether its PS2, XBox, Wii, Computer, etc.

No screentime on school days until all school is done for everyone, except if one person is really dilly-dallying, then the non-dillydallier gets to play while the other one still does school.

No screentime on non-school days until kid is up, dressed (independently), and breakfasted....if chores need to be done, they are done prior to screentime.

I don't have to regulate, b/c my kids tend to play for a couple of hours, then switch to another activity. If there is something I wish for them to do, I always say "when this race (or whatever) is over, I need you to do X" b/c nobody wants to drop what they're doing right in the middle. My rule is, if you don't stop within a reasonable amount of time after I ask you to stop, you don't play again when you ask to play.

If someone is playing a one-person game, the timer gets set in order to remind the player when it is time for another kid to play (usually 30 minutes, which I have found is about the time I need to get through a section of one of their games). If fights/arguments break out, I take the controllers until they demonstrate they are able to get along.

I don't have to do anything to get my kids outside, except go outside myself. Yesterday, I went out to scrape the steps and about 15 minutes both boys were outside, having bundled themselves up. they were playing PS2 when I went out and all I said was, "I'm going outside."

Every family/kid is different. If my kids started acting differently, I may change my attitude about games. I used to be anti-games until recently (we had none). Now we have them all, and I have discovered that it really is not that big of an issue for us.

Oh, we also have the rule, no screentime after supper. We eat supper late and I like to be calm before bed!

The rule about video games in our house is that we don't have any and never will. :D

My kids get 1/2 an hour of tv time and 1/2 an hour of computer time daily. All schoolwork must be completed and it has to be used during the kids' free time. We don't build our schedule around their media usage. If we are busy and they don't get to watch tv or use the computer, too bad.

In our house, tv and computer are extras and I have no qualms about restricting them as I see fit.

Tara

You know, I'm kinda all over the place with this issue. A little history here:

When we got a PS2 a few years ago, my ds's were rather aggressive when using it. I was really surprised by their actions and got very defensive. We severely limited time and they rarely played it at all.

Fast forward a couple of years and now I don't really limit their time at all. They usually only play an hour at a time and they just don't ever try during school time.

What was the change? Well, it certainly wasn't my attitude but I think the bigger picture is this: How are you going to spend your time? Over the years, we have realized that eliminating PS2, computer games, etc. isn't going to be very helpful to them in the long run. They will inevitably have to deal with this issue at some time in the future. I feel like this is almost a "life skill" for children now and they need to be prepared.

We discussed time usage rather casually here at home over the last two years. I think so much has to do with age, but they have begun to see that being successful and playing video games all day don't really jive. They have any made comments to me about friends they know and how they are "losers" because they only want to play and talk about video games. If you would have told me my kids would have talked about others like that two years ago, I would never have believed you.

7 is very young and I doubt he would see much use in "time management" talks at this point. However, I would definitely put some limits on his time and draw a pie chart of time. Begin to show him the hours in his day and what piece he is losing by playing. Also, I would highly recommend you read the book "Playstation Nation." This book changed my perspective tremendously. In fact, my older two read this themselves without me even prompting them and were really concerned about some of the trends discussed in the book. I think you need to enter this video world armed, especially for the mothers of boys.

Their hand-held games are only allowed to be used in the car or in waiting rooms! My 9yo plays his at Tae Kwon Do while he's waiting for his sister's class to finish. They also come in very handy around here because we live 30 minutes away from the nearest 'town', so a drive to Wal-Mart can take an hour, round-trip.

Their system games may only be played after school and chores are completed. I don't have a time-limit on them. It hasn't really been a problem here.

My children don't watch much television, if any. My youngest might watch an hour per day of Noggin. She also plays about an hour a day of computer games, but she doesn't play video games, so it's a trade-off. :)

Edited by hsmamainva

For us there is no time limit. There are days that we will play video games all day long. There are months that go by and they aren't turned on.

The only time they aren't allowed is during school.

Dh & I don't play at all. EK only plays when ER is home; they play together, and sometimes they'll spend most of the day or all evening playing two-player games. When ER was younger (say 11-13), he would sometimes play all day, and when I noticed he was overdoing it, I would limit his playing to about 1 to 1 1/2 hours per day. He learned to self-regulate as he grew older. ER & EK would like to have a Wii, and I think dh & I might even enjoy it, but it's not in the budget for the foreseeable future.

Edited by ereks mom

Since your ds is only 7, I would take a pretty firm stance on video games. That is too young to be so hooked on something electronic, kwim? My 12 yo and 8 yos have DSs too, and I know how much they enjoy them, but I do try to limit it. My kids don't play every day, maybe every other?, and on days when they do play, it's no more than 30 minutes.

My dc can each get 1/2 a day, and if they want, they can "share" their time and choose to play something together (dh won a Wii at his company Christmas party, so they do enjoy playing that together). But they have to have had a good school day (no melting down, arguing, or otherwise having a bad attitude - which my ds has been very prone to in the past).

We don't have formal rules.

I don't like them to play after 7pm, as both of my kids have a hard time falling asleep at night.

They can play on breaks during the day, but I discourage it. They seldom want to.

They can play during the week, and on the weekends, it doesn't matter to me.

I don't limit play time as long as they are doing their school work, playing with friends at appropriate times, going to sports commitments, getting good grades, getting along with everyone, and doing their chores when asked.

Our kids know that they have a lot of privileges based on our trust/expectations of them.

Our kids self monitor themselves and I stick my head in and comment every once in a while if it seems to be getting excessive.

I don't care. They have already stopped playing the Wii.....and only play online games with their siblings/friends.

When we have things to do....I let them know....and they don't give me any problems about getting off the game.

It is really no big deal at my house.

I don't limit their playing time, but they can only play on the weekends.

As soon as they start arguing, the game goes off for awhile.

It works like a charm, and cuts down on the 'game talk' that seems to overtake their little brains when they are playing it every day.:glare:

I get really annoyed when all they want to talk about is the last level that they passed on such and such game.

It HAS cut down on what kids want to come over to our house to play during the week.

Several won't come over since they know that we won't have the ps2 on.

Apparently, it's a problem.

Such is life~

;)

Mine seem unable or unwilling to self regulate and if they play too much their behavior towards each other is less than desirable. That said: During the school week they can play for 1/2 an hour after school and chores are done. On the week-ends they can play for an hour, sometimes longer if the weather is bad.

We have video game days and that's it. A turn is 1 1/2 hours long. It's W-F-Sat right now.

As a discipline technique, they get marks on a white board for every time their behavior or attitude is poor and each mark = 5-10 minutes off their next turn, depending on age. When video game turns come around, we subtract, everyone starts their timer and plays. Time for the next turn is taken off if they don't get off within 5 min. of their turn being over!

I think it's an important reminder to parents that video games are involved and usually require a good block of time for them to be enjoyable. I can't believe I'm advocating for longer turns, BUT when I see that some give their kids 15 minutes at a time it seems pretty strict. If they are playing arcade type games that's one thing, but many games require you to keep at a particular mission or reach a check point and when you have to stop and may not be able to save your game time or you've spent the whole 15 minutes trying ONE skill, it's kind of a bummer. Just sayin'. :tongue_smilie: This is partly why we do longer times allowed on fewer days per week.

DS 8 has a DS we do not have a wii. 1/2 hour per day allowed and it must be after ALL school, music practice, reading, chores etc.. The half hour must be purchased using a ticket (we use Accountable Kids) So if no tickets, no game time. The exceptions to this are if it is a special occasion like he has a sleep over with a friend or something.

Two kids, ages 14 and 9:

We have screen time, which generally includes any independent TV watching, video games, or computer time (outside what I require for school, and outside any family TV or movie time).

Guidelines are:

one hour on weekdays, per child if chores and school are done, and we have not had attitude problems.

two hours on weekends, per child.

If I feel the time needs to be reduced, I reduce it. If I feel they may have extra, I increase it.

Thank you all for all your suggestions. I am going to have to get with dh tonight and go over it with him also.

I think we might try the 1 to 2 hours after school and chores and the same for weekends. Ds is only 7. It just feels wrong to let him just play for hours and hours. Video games just seems to be all he can think about. But it isn't bothering his school or chores. So, I hate to put to much of a limit on it.

Thanks again.

Lori

I have not read all the responses but here goes. I am probably a bad mom...but when all school, chores and reading are done for the day, there are no limits on Wii play. Now I say that during the winter (it's -5 here today) When it is too cold to play outside, there is no limit to 'screen time' once all daily requirements are done. They usually also play lots of board games, I think the unlimited play time helps with that, they know they can play it pretty much whenever they want. When it warms up, there will be more strict rules...I REALLY like the poker chip idea! They play outside a lot when it's nice....so Wii will cut dramatically when it ever warms up. Oh and oldest DS gets up before dawn and we let him play Wii quietly in the morning while we all finish sleeping!

I haven't read the other responses, but here is our one rule. Video games (as well as t.v. and computer games that are not educational) are after 3:30 p.m. on school days. No rules for the weekend or evenings. My younger dd schools only till noon or 12:30, this gives her time to do other things till 3:30. Older dd also get done at least an hour before this time frame. They amuse themselves till then. Our dd's tend to self regulate, so it is not always the first thing they do at that time. Dh and I love them too. We are an electronic family, to us strict regulations almost defeat the purpose of having them. But that's just us:D

Only on Saturday and only for an hour or so each. They don't know when to stop. (and how they can all sit around and watch each other play for hours is beyone me)

I gave big DS unbridled access to PS2 after tonsil surgery, he played for 8 hours straight before I said, "Enough!!!!"

Then, I find that after they play, even if its something innocuous like Spyro, that they are irritable, mean and grumpy. Currently PS2 is packed away since a few days after Christmas.

Believe you, me. If I have even a minor rebuttal over turning off the PS2, it goes in the closet. But, sheesh, I'm the one who bought it...