Menu

What is the rule for video games at your house??

We haven't had any console games until we got a wii for Christmas. We played it a lot the first few days but now, there have been days when it hasn't been turned on at all, and when it has, it's often because I want to play tennis.

The kids occasionally borrow my laptop to play a computer game from the library - zoo tycoon or such. Ds will occasionally ask to play for a bit on freeonlinegames or miniclip, and he's even purchased a couple games for download to unlock all the levels but his interest really waxes and wanes. There are weeks and weeks that he won't play at all. Dd is really not terribly interested; I think she would get into something like the Nancy Drew games but those won't work on my laptop.

Having only one computer in the house, which btw, I use for my professional work, means that their access to the computer is limited by virtue of me using it.... and no, I'm not buying them their own. It's awfully convenient to say - nope, you can't use it now; go outside/play chess/take the dog out/build a fort for the rats/read a book.....

We do have a rule of no screen time until schoolwork is done but that's it.

If I think someone is on a screen too long I'll suggest some other activity for us BOTH to do together. I do think they self regulate fairly well.

My kids are older though - 14 & 10 1/2 & I have been trying hard to not expose them to more electronic temptation than they can handle.

Our dc can only play on the weekends unless we are playing Wii Sports as a family, which we do about once a week. We let them play for a few hours over the weekend but reserve the right to have them save and cut it off at any point.

These rules apply to other media as well, though we do allow occassional use of the computer during the week. I use computer time as a reward but they only get to play for 30 minutes. This happens maybe once a week and some weeks not at all.

I cannot stand the incessant chatter about everything video game related and I say as much. I tell my children that Dad really enjoys gaming and he might be more interested in their thoughts than I am. I don't say it to be snippy and I try to be kind, I'm just not at all interested.

We haven't had any console games until we got a wii for Christmas. We played it a lot the first few days but now, there have been days when it hasn't been turned on at all, and when it has, it's often because I want to play tennis.

On a side note, isn't Wii tennis CRAZY fun?! I kind of beg my husband to play every night after the kids go to bed.:tongue_smilie:

No video games, period. We are the only ones who do this that I know. They can watch Mom approved movies, no TV unless it is on the The Discovery Channel and approved by me. My ds17 favorite show is that Survival show with that man who goes to the north pole or set adrift in the middle of the ocean with nothing and has to improvise. He asked for the Planet Earth videos for Christmas and I bought them. My girls are into American Girl movies and dd6 loves Scooby Doo. I do allow Barbie movies, I have watched them and I think they are good. Definite good vs evil, good wins sort of thing. Remakes of Fairy Tales.

We are more lenient than many on this board. Two of our sons want to design games, and one is seriously working on programming and game design in his free time, so they do end up with quite a bit of screen time.

But those are for the older kids. For a younger child unable to self-regulate, I'd be pretty strict. My normal rules are 30 minutes a day, after all school work, chores, reading, and exercise are finished. Since I have four boys who want to play on the computer, and since it drives me up the wall to have kids around it all the time, we have recently gone to 30 minutes each on T, TH, Sat. and Sun. If the older boys want to play a longer, more involved game, they may either bank their time, or sometimes do extra chores or schoolwork to earn the time.

I'm probably coming into this thread very late, but...

At our house, each child gets two 30-minute turns each day. They can't have their turns consecutively unless all three of them agree on it, so most often they'll each have their first before one of them gets a second.

If we're having a busy day/going on a lot of errands/don't want them inside so long (like during nice weather), we ask that they combine their turns to play against or team with each other.

Sometimes we'll have a family competition night on the wii -- we just got it this Christmas -- but even that doesn't go on "forever." They have a GameBoy that a friend gave them, but they are not allowed to bring it to family gatherings or anywhere they're expected to socialize and enjoy other people's company, since a GameBoy tends to isolate them.

We've always had the rule of no toys at the table, whether it's a Hot Wheels car or that oh-so-special stuffed animal ("but he's part of the family and he's hungry!" LOL), so games are not an issue.

BTW, their allotted video game time includes computer time -- not for research or school papers, but if they want to play a computer game, it needs to count as the Nintendo does.

Hope this helps!

Lynda

Almost forgot: our children are 8, 13, and 15 and get no Internet time. They don't email friends, don't do the IM thing, and truly have no reason to be surfing the Web, so they don't get online unless I have requested they do some research. And in that case, I'm with them making sure they don't accidentally click on a link that's not what they're expecting.

They don't seem to be bothered by this at all and never ask for it.

Lynda

No limits in our house. The computers or game consoles (yes, both are plural!) have to go off for meals or chores or if someone else would like to watch or play something but otherwise they could play all day if they choose.

They hardly ever choose to though. Occasionally there's a run of several hours but often the games get forgotten for a week or two at a time.

We have issue with this also, like my oldest gets up really early and plays before everyone else gets up. When everyone else gets up it's shut off though.

And I KNOW this isn't good, because he hasn't bothered to do chores or anything. . . I'm just trying to decide what to do.

I'd like to say we'll just get rid of the thing. But unfortunately, DH & I like to play it also. lol. . . .

Thanks for all of these good ideas. I'm going to discuss with my DH as well! :D

Our rules:

No t.v., computer or video games on school days.

Weekends: 2 hour screen time limit per day, per child. All screens off at 10 p.m. (my kids are teens).

If one of the kids has completed their chores, personal care, and schoolwork to my satisfaction, and still has time left for entertainment, I will give extra t.v., computer, and video game time as a reward, even on a school day.

The rewards are rarely given because the kids can find a million ways to drag out the time it takes them to complete their responsibilities. It never ceases to amaze me that they have not realized that if they buckle down and do their work, they will have ample free time. I have been pointing this out for years.

If anyone tries to circumvent my rules, I take the game machines into my bedroom at night. The computers are set to not allow anyone on them until I change the parental control settings.

What we have been doing is that you can have two 30min sessions if all chores and school is finished. He has to ask if now is a good time and he must set the timer on the microwave to help him not go over time. My only serious gamer is our 10 year old though, so it isn't really an issue with the oldest boy.

However, since neither of our big boys are big readers I'm seriously considering changing that next week. I'm thinking of tying game time to play time. For each 30min reading time he can earn a 15 or 30min game time. Anyone have thoughts on that?