Menu

Who is your best friend?

Who is your best friend?  

1. 1. Who is your best friend?

• My spouse/partner/significant other.
    • My mother/father (including steps).
    • My sibling (brother/sister, including steps and halves).
    • My parent-in-law (mother- or father-in-law).
    • My sibling-in-law (sister- or brother-in-law).
    • My near or distant relative (grandparent, great-aunt, etc.).
    • My child(ren).
    • My close friend/neighbor.
    • I do not have a best friend at this time.
    • Other (who?).

It sems like there are "seasons" of friends for me. When my dd spent a couple of years in a preschool group, the mom of her friend was my best friend. Part of it was just the fact that we saw each other so often. She's still my friend, but because our kids have grown into other things, we no longer see each other more than a couple of times a year.

After that, my best friend was the mom of my son's best friend. We saw each other often, and went on weekend trips with the kids, etc. She's still kinda my best friend, but since her son now goes to public school I just don't see her very often. I miss her, but we both don't really have a lot of time for social interactions unless they happen in the course of other activities.

My dear friend, whom I have known for over 8 years, since she moved here, is my BFF. We do a ton together - co-teach lit and history to our oldest children, co-run a science co-op for our younger children, work in the same business, and exercise together. She knows me better than I know myself.

It would be my hearts desire for dh to be my best friend. While I would not say that I have a bad or troubled relationship with dh, he simply does not desire the kind of togetherness (as a couple) and emotional intimacy that I crave. He is content the way things are.

I have said that when I met my dh the first time it was like meeting my best friend. But I put "other". Dh and I are close and committed, but my dearest best girl-friend is D.M. I can say ANYTHING to her, no matter what, and she listens, doesn't judge and loves me just the same. I don't think I've ever offended her, nor vice versa. (I hope that this type of relationship develops over time with dh) We laugh, we cry and we know that we feel the same for each other - it's reciprocal. She is significantly older than I am, by about 20 years, so I treasure these years we have as best friends... and she lives hours away by plane... days away by car... we talk every week, though.

I put my mom. I think we were only allowed to choose one choice, so I picked her. I think a person can have several best friends, though. My dh is my best friend in a lot of ways, but I still picked my mom because we talk so much. I also have a best friend from childhood that I talk to several times a month that would say is very much my best friend. Finally, as a lot of you know, I was very, very close with my sil that past away 5 years ago. We were the best of friends even though I was close to my dh, my mom and others.

I need to be able to select multiple options :D

My li'l bro is probably my best friend, as in, I can tell him a lot and he thinks on almost the exact same wavelength I do --it's almost scary, lol.

I've had a couple seasons of 'best friends' too; I have a best friend in NY that I can call on for advice [and vice versa] even if we haven't talked to each other in months. We did a lot together when i lived up there.

I have a couple of Really Really good friends now --my 'best' friend for the past 3 years that i talk to and work with closely is a fellow homeschooler who is a wonderful friend even after some pretty tough situations; she's done a great job putting up w/ me, and lots of y'all know how tough that can be ;).

I have another neighbor homeschooler that is a pretty close friend too --she's still learning that she can literally tell me almost ANYthing and i won't be offended :lol:

But each person is a 'best' friend in a different way. My li'l bro really doesn't want to hear my vents about petty homeschool stuff. My previous best friend is too far away to offer much advice on local issues. My current best friend is an atheist, so she's not much help w/ theological issues. My pretty close friend above is a homebody that keeps a pretty strict schedule, so I can't call on her for stuff at the drop of a hat.

I do have several close friends that I turn to for various situations, but my atheist best friend is probably the closest to a "best friend" that I have right now.....

My mom has always been my very best friend. She passed away 2 1/2 years ago and there is no one who can take her place.

So, I have 'friends' but my best friend is waiting for me with my kitty on the other side.

I have to say Dh! He has been my best friend for over 20 years. I have had some best girlfriends over the years...these are ladies that when we are together it is like no time has passed. We are military and move often...I have 3 best friends that are always there for me...even across the miles & time. My sister is also one of my best friends.

My best friend is my second cousin once removed.:D We grew up together and have so, so much in common. We are just a year apart in age, have similar ideals when raising our children, attend the same church, co-op together...she is like a sister to me.

I would also put dh as a very close runner up. While he is like a best friend to me, it is just not the same as a best girl friend. He does not want to hear about my womanly woes unless they relate directly to him.:D While I discuss just about everything with him, it is just a little different from having a close girl friend.

My dh is my best friend (and so much more :) ), but it is, in some way, a different type of friendship.

I would say my brother is my best friend aside from dh. We have always gotten along great. He is someone I can be completely myself with and be ok about it.

I do have a girlfriend that is a very good friend and holds a special place in my life, but we don't talk on a regular basis or anything (she lives in another state).

Anyway, I voted for dh. :)

I answered DH because he is truly my best friend. When I need to talk to someone, he is the person I want to talk to first. I also have a best girlfriend whom I talk to several times daily. We could be sisters and I could not imagine my life without her in it!

I guess Dh is my best friend. Except he's my husband, and that's different than a friend. My Mom is a close friend, but she's my Mom, and friend is different from Mom. My sisters are the same - close in a friendly way, but I think being a "sister" (or mother, or husband) implies a really close, special relationship that isn't exactly a 'friend.' Even my MIL is something other than, and in many ways better than, a friend.

But then when I think of my closest friends, I love them and feel close, but not as close as I do to my Mom, my husband, my sisters. And I am in no way minimizing what a "Friend" is because I think a true friend is an amazing thing, and sometimes even better than one's Mom or sister, but still different from a Mom or sister.

I don't have a best friend, though I do have a few really close friends whom I feel connected to.

Edited by Danestress

But I did say I have no bf right now. I keep to myself pretty much, invest in my family, dont have time for social stuff, except with kids, dh travels and to be frank, seems to be on a different page than I am, in a few areas. He will be with me forever, but BF...dont know. Isnt that sad. I hope it makes sense....

My dh is my best, all around, in every circumstance, forever best friend. I did have a girlfriend, who I considered my best girlfriend, but things happened and we no longer see each other. Very, very sad. :sad: And that has made me very reticent about making new friendships on that kind of level; it takes a alot of emotional energy to open yourself up and then have the relationship fall apart.

My dh is safe and secure so I'm sticking with him.

Janet

I have a best friend that I've had since 7th grade (18 years!). She and I are sooooo close--we tell each other everything! But my husband is also my best friend, but in a different way. He is my rock, my strength, my lover, my everything. I would be lost without either one of them. But I cannot even begin to imagine my life without Patrick.

I am also very blessed to have two other really close female friends, and I am really close with one of my younger brothers. I am close to my mom too, but she and I are like night and day, so we clash a lot.

Wow! I am smiling just thinking about all the people who I love!

My creator, God!

My husband would be second.

:iagree:

#1... Jesus

#2... DH

I don't venture into the General Board very often, but this called out to me when I saw the title. It reminded me that I want talk with him about a few things... Jesus, I mean... DH is sleeping. ;)

Edited by CMama

Dh is the obvious answer but I also really enjoy a few other people in my life.

Ds14 is an incredible person and we have amazing conversations due to homeschooling. He is one of my favorite people to talk to. His views are unadulterated and are simple and pure. I love to see how the world looks through his eyes.

My friend Kim and I have amazing similarities, but we can have differing opinions and that is fine too. We help each other out with a lot of kid logistic issues, carpooling, vacations and such, and I know that if I really needed something she is my "go-to getter-done" friend. She is high energy and is always ready to do something. Having her in my life really simplifies my life and enriches it immensely!

I have another friend who has a dd with similar issues to dd2 so she has been a great resource to me. She also is my daycare and my buddy. She would rather stay home and chat than go somewhere, but she also really pays attention because of it. She is my "soft place to land" friend.

That's a hard question. A best friend can be defined by so many things.

I dont have any girlfriends. Sadly, I'm very much a shy and quiet person. I dont do well interacting with people unless I know them really well. I dont have any girlfriends that I can call on the phone or go off and do things with or have children near my kids ages.

I do, however, have a DH, a mother, and a sister. They all mean different things to me though.

DH is the one I do the most stuff with, of course. We live together, share the same life.....we like the same sorts of movies, etc. So we do have fun together.

But when I'm looking for someone to go shopping with or something like that, my sister is the one I turn to. I actually have two sisters, but one is only 15 years old....so she's not as much like a friend to me since she's so young. My other sister is four years younger than me. While she is not married and does not have kids, we still have a good time together. But I cannot talk to her about family stuff because she hasnt reached that stage in her life yet. But she loves my two girls to death and has a lot of fun with them and helps with them when we go off together.

My mom and I are very close. I talk to her daily.....usually about three times a day. She lives right around the corner (with my dad, of course), I can talk to her about anything even though we sometimes may not have the same views on things. She helps me with everything....and vice versa.

So they are all three best friends in different ways.

My DH is my best friend in the sense that he is the first one I talk to about just about anything, the one human being I know who loves me more than anyone else, the one who would lay down his life for me.

He has his limits, of course, and I've learned that he can handle a BRIEF discussion of "Which fabric for the valances?" or "Would a wool-silk blend yarn be more like wool or more like silk?". ;)

Of course, he has also learned that there comes a point in the "Server crashed again and we had to reconfigure all the tape drives on the backup array." and "I scheduled the rips to the printer and then Dr. SoandSo needed something laminated." discussion when my eyes will glaze over and I will become catatonic. :tongue_smilie:

Hmmm, my true, true 'Best Friend' I met the first of a new school in 8th grade. We've been best friends for over 25 years. I've other 'best friend' I met in 9th grade so we've been best freinds for 24 years. They and their families (meaning their parents/siblings) are my family. One is my son's godmother, one his guardian in our wills. But we haven't seen each other in over 2 years, we're still as close as ever, but that's been our relationship since I got married and moved.

But I also end up with a best friend "here". We're Air Froce. We move every two years. Every place I end up, I have the best friend of that location. The person I talk to daily, do stuff with, get coffee with, cry with whatever. And then we move. We are alwasy still close, but we both end up moving. And then we each get new 'here' best friends. And that's fine. That's just how it works in the military.

Now I'm totally lucking out, because next move is actually putting us basically back home. So my 25 year Best Friends, will end up also being my 'here' best friends for whooping total of 3 years. And I really just can't wait!

I would say that my mom is my best friend. Her and I are so close and I share the most about my life with her. I feel so lucky that I have been able to maintain such a beautiful relationship with her.

I was going to say my dh, but I consider our relationship to be on a different level.

And at this point in my life I do not have any other close friends that could qualify.

I couldn't vote for one category. I have different needs that are met from different people in my life. My husband is a true friend, as are two girlfriends I have known since high school, as well as my sister, and a few women I have been lucky enough to think of as mentors. I really feel that collectively they create my best friend.