Menu

Book-A-Week in 2009: Week 1 Update

Whew! Week 1 is done! Everyone finished? Or pretty close? Congratulations, readers!

Tonight it's time to start book #2. You can post here, and post a review if you want at the wonderful blog set up by My2Blessings. Make sure your name is on the list there as well.

http://read52booksin52weeks.blogspot.com/

Feel free to join in at any time--Recapping the rules:

1. Read an average of a book a week - 52 books in 52 weeks
  2. Re-reading a book counts--as long as you first read it before 2009
  3. School related books don't count (unless you want them to)

My first book was The Chronicles of the Imaginarium Geographica: The Search for the Red Dragon.

n228627.jpg

I'm planning on reviewing it on the blog, but in short--great fantasy novel for a classical schooler. A decent knowledge of ancient Greek myth makes it all the better!

My week 2 book will be the third in this series, The Chronicles of the Imaginarium Geographica: The Indigo King.

28243269.jpg

I'm also simultaneously reading a longer non-fiction history book, A History of the Vikings by Gwyn Jones. It is dense, comprehensive, and I won't finish it in a given week if I want to digest the material thoroughly. So my plan for now is to read it alongside whatever book I'm doing for a given week, and then count it as the book of the week during the week that I actually finish. Make sense?

Well, The Last Child in the Woods was a bust. I just don't enjoy non-fiction so much. I did read Tiger Lillie by Lisa Samson, which I really liked. It was my first Lisa Samson novel. My DH went to the library for me tonight and picked up The Church Ladies by Lisa Samson and A Singular Hostage by Thalassi Ali (thanks Rosie for the rec!). I can't decide which to read first. I am kinda bummed because my library doesn't have the other books in the Thalassi Ali series. :confused:

I finished my book, The Wednesday Letters by Jason Wright, in two days last week. So I started and finished this weeks book, which was The Secret Life of Becky Miller by Sharon Hinck. I really enjoyed them both.

My books were light reads and I was engrossed and blew through them. So I am going to start my next book, Creating an Intimate Marriage by Jim Burns. I figured my as well stay ahead, for weeks when I will not be able to get as much reading done.

I read The Reason for God and Physik (the third Septimus Heap book). Next up are Queste (book 4) and The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Perilous Journey.

Can you tell that I never make it out of the kids' section every time I go to the library? :P

Kay in Cal, the Chronicles of the Imaginarium Geographica sound very interesting.

I read The Man Who Was Thursday. Way strange. Fast moving and while I managed to figure out most of it I did not figure out all of it before the end. I posted on the blog. I think I will have to read it again before discussing it with the reading group. I have already started The Last Lecture and am enjoying it very much. Like another poster I am working my way through Don Quixote ala The Well-Read Mind and will count it the week I finish it which will be NEVER at the rate I am going. I do like it though. It is very amusing.

I read the fourth in the Maisie Dobbs historical mystery series, Messenger of Truth.

messenger_ppbk.jpg

The library lacked this book when I was ready for it, so I read the fifth in the series beforehand. I am now awaiting publication of the next volume in the series, Among the Mad, coming in February.

When I first started thinking about doing this challenge, I didn't think there was any way that I would finish one book in one week. Well, I read two books this week! Yay for me!

I read The Atonement by Ian McEwan. I absolutely loved this book. It was so beautifully written. There was a surprise ending that brought me to tears. I highly recommend this book.

My other book this week was Persuasion by Jane Austen. I am not a big Austen fan but I really liked this book. I couldn't put the book down cause I wanted to see who Anne Elliott actually ended up with. ;)

Next up is The Book Thief.

My first book was Dennis Lahane's The Given Day.

I posted a couple of short quotes here and here.

I haven't decided what I will pick up next. We are leaving for vacation on Monday (our visit with Dr. Billington, Librarian of Congress! :D), so I'll have to pick my third book before then.

No rush, right? I've got all night...;)

My mind is still on vacation, but since the first I read Extreme Measures by Vince Flynn (quadruple awesome!!!), am finishing up Orbit by John Nance and listened to Lionboy by Zizou Corder with my daughter while we put together a very large puzzle.

I adore Christmas vacation - for me it's all about snowy days, spy novels and sci-fi thrillers. The classics can wait a few more days.:D

ETA: I read aloud The Story of the Other Wise Man by Henry van Dyke during Christmas. It was one of the most beautiful books I have ever read.

Dana

Edited by Dana in OR

I read Bel Canto, by Anne Patchett, on my daughter's recommendation. I liked the writing very much, and the characters were beautifully drawn, but the ending was a bit depressing. It was the first book I've read by this author, though, and I'll probably seek out some more.

I've already started (about 75 pages in, I think) In Cold Blood, by Truman Capote. It is one of the books on that Modern Library list, and I happened to see a nice, trade-sized copy at my church's bazaar for $1. I haven't formed an opinion yet.

I'm also re-reading The Little Prince, because I bought a copy of the most recent translation for my son. I love that book.

Whew! Week 1 is done!

Tonight it's time to start book #2. You can post here, and post a review if you want at the wonderful blog set up by My2Blessings. Make sure your name is on the list there as well.

http://read52booksin52weeks.blogspot.com/

Hey gang. I'm seeing lots of visitors to the website, but hardly any comments. Be sure to leave a comment or two, even if it's just to say hi or good job. Should I come up with a blurb for the side bar saying something like -- don't be a lurker, let us know what you think. Or maybe Thank you for visiting. Let us know what you think. Or just "We would love to hear your comments."

Have fun reading.

I really enjoyed my first book, The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid by Bill Bryson. I wrote a mid-read review a few days ago on my new blog, http://jennwinsocal.blogspot.com/2009/01/52-books-in-52-weeks.html. (I'm wrestling with html tags or would otherwise have a snazzy hyperlink for y'all.) If you like Bill Bryson, you should enjoy this.

I'm also reading a biography of Joseph Needham, the man notable in Asian Studies circles for writing the multi-volume Science and Civilization in China. It is called The Man Who Loved China, and is a really good read, but not a page turner, so I'm not sure if it will be the offical week 2 or week 3 book.

And Kay, my 13yo has had the Red Dragon sitting by his bedside for months now -- a signed edition no less, and he has yet to start it. I'll tell him you liked it. He loved the first, I don't know why he has put off starting this one -- and there is a 3rd too?!!

Happy reading everyone!

I read two books this first week, but, one was horribly written and very easy to read and the other was an easy read AND, dd is with her father this week, so I've had extra time.

Anyway, I read "The Christmas Star" by Thomas Kinkade (Dd has better writing skills) which was sappy and predictable. The other was an Erma Bombeck book on marriage, and the title escapes me right now.

The next book is called, "If You Will Ask," by Oswald Chambers.

Since I'm a slow reader, I read a couple of short books this week to help in the motivation department: Of Mice and Men and The Precious Present. The second was extremely short - a 10 minute read? I almost feel guilty counting it.

I'm still working on The Never Ending Story. I've read that the movie only covers the first half of the book, so I should hit new material soon. Just like the movie, the part about Atreyu's horse still bothered me.

Being 37 weeks pregnant and suffering through 34C weather (that's with the wretched AC on too) I found plenty of time for reading.

I read the second and third in Thalassa Ali's trilogy instead of finishing the history of Beijing, but that's ok because the former were so good and the latter can be finished this week :) Also managed to nose through a book on herbal teas and read "Side by Side" which was another marriage book and didn't say much that I haven't read elsewhere already.

Dh read two and a half pictures books that arrived from amazon this morning, Jennifer Morgan's evolution books, and half of "Free Culture," an online book about freedom software. Or something like that. I've tried very hard to be interested in, but haven't been really successful. He's rapped to the eyeballs with it through.

My goal for this week is to finish that Beijing book then divide my time between the books I just received from amazon (Robyn Matthew's Language Logic, a miso cookbook and Cut my Cote) and the pile of library books I have sitting about. Will have to see how the mood strikes. Dh hopes to finish off "Free Culture" and read a bit more of "The China Study" by two fellas surnamed Campbell. I read that a couple of months ago. Food for thought...

:)

Rosie

I'm starting the year by finishing the books I have home from the library - but they are fluff. I'll get to the more serious stuff later. :001_smile:

Oh! I added a column on my blog for putting the books I finish. Of course, right now, there's only one book listed!

I was still finishing Great Expectations by Charles Dickens when January began - I finished it a few days in so I don't think I can count it :(

I started Snow by Orhan Pamuk (it won the Nobel prize for lit) on January 1st and I''m a little more than halfway through.

Yesterday I received my Chapters order!! So I have a few new books in there as well. One of them is SWB's book, The Art of the Public Grovel, which I started reading last night.

My poor blog has been languishing since I switched over to a new computer. I should probably revive it and get my book list written down before I lose track of what I've read.

I finished O Pioneers! by Willa Cather yesterday morning and started The Song of the Lark by the same author immediately after. I'm confused on days, though. I think I need to look at a calendar. Somehow I thought I was two days ahead of schedule!

I did enjoy O Pioneers! though there were some things that irritated me about it. I loved the descriptions of the prairie and the relationship of the people to the land. There were so many things I'm familiar with and that I love in those descriptions, and it was obvious that the author had a love for her native Nebraska prairie. I enjoy her style of writing and her characters really lived for me.

Alexandra is such a wonderful, strong female character. Her only real fault, and one cause of irritation for me, is her inability to understand one of the other characters when she was able to so easily forgive another who I did not feel deserved such forgiveness and understanding. I was also disappointed in the ending for two of the characters and couldn't understand why they did not choose to do something different. Um, I don't think I can say more without spoiling it, but gosh that sounds vague.

I may put some quotes that I particularly enjoyed up on my blog later today. It was a good book, but not a great one for me.

I finished The Inheritance of Loss last night. It was not a fun read and I am so glad to be done with it! Today I will begin The Used World by Haven Kimmel and Nickel and Dimed by Barbara Ehrenreich. The latter is a preloaded mp3 player I picked up on my last library trip. The preloaded mp3's are my favorite technical innovation of 2008 in the library system! I plan to listen while I paint a room. :001_smile:

Finished The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick. 500+ pages, but at least half of that was pencil drawn illustrations. Saw an interview about the book over a year ago on some morning show. It captured my interest immediately.

Having read it, the idea for the book was very clever, but I felt that so much time and attention was spent on the illustrations, the narrative didn't keep up. Did I enjoy it? Yes. Did I think it was well-written? No. Will my girls enjoy it? Probably yes.

Next up for me A Long Obedience in the Same Direction by Eugene Peterson.

I finished A Confederacy of Dunces based on many recommendations from you lovely ladies. It is a hillarious, albeit bizarre, story. I find myself still smiling and chuckling over little bits and pieces that the author (Toole) added.

This week I am reading The Man Who Was Thursday. I just started it, but it seems very interesting. I will also finish listening to On the Road by Jack Kerouac on audiobook this week. And, I might finish reading Little Lord Fauntleroy by Francis Hodgkins Burnett out loud to the kids as well.