Menu

Face is looking old….help

Ottakee

You might look into microneedling. There are pens available for about $100 on Amazon. They can restore collagen and tighten loose skin. I learned about them on YouTube. Most people there use dermarollers, but I don’t recommend that because they’re easy to damage, less sterile, and less precise. 

• Like 1

Hydration! Make sure you are getting plenty of water. I drink green smoothies and I think my skin looks more vibrant when I am consistent with drinking them. I sometimes add vegan collagen powder to my smoothies. I do hot yoga in an infrared heated studio. I have lost 60 pounds over the past four years and think those things have really helped my skin. 
edited to add: congratulations on the weight lose! 

Edited by GoVanGogh
  • Like 1

It might tighten a little bit over time.  My dad went on a pretty extreme low fat diet to prevent heart disease at one point, and his facial skin hung down and he looked kind of drawn for a while, but then it gradually tightened back up quite a bit.

I HAVE noticed that people who lose a lot of weight get heavy lines around their mouths, in three of my friends.  In each case they looked super cheerful and smiley before the weight loss, and glum and disapproving afterwards.  I think that before, they looked like they were smiling even when they weren’t, with their chubby cheeks, and afterwards, they looked like they were frowning even when they weren’t, with their hanging faces.  I’m concerned about that happening to me, but it hasn’t yet.  However, I’m only at 14 lbs down.  If it does, I plan to look into mild cosmetic surgery, something I have always avoided even considering, because my face (and hair) is pretty much how I present myself to the world, and this matters to me.  

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, GoVanGogh said:

. I sometimes add vegan collagen powder to my smoothies. 

What brand(s) do you use? Regular collagen powder - bovine, fish, pork - gives me insomnia (even taking it at 6am) plus some mild anxiety. So I'm on the lookout for a vegan alternative.

2 hours ago, GailV said:

What brand(s) do you use? Regular collagen powder - bovine, fish, pork - gives me insomnia (even taking it at 6am) plus some mild anxiety. So I'm on the lookout for a vegan alternative.

This made me curious because I know collagen and gelatin are related, and gelatin makes me anxious and itchy (I have MCAS). Gelatin causes oxalates to rise in the blood. Vegan collagen seems to be made from foods that tend to be high in oxalates.

I’d try to find out if you could get samples of products you want to try; BTDT with spending money on good, clean ingredient products that I still can’t use. 😖

• Like 1

I’m not sure this will help with weight loss effects, but a year ago or maybe closer to 18 mos ago, I felt that my face skin was showing its age. I talked to the derm and started using tretinoin at night and Vit C serum in the am. I added a really inexpensive collagen cream for moisturizing, something for rosacea, and switched the few makeup products that I use to something more moisturizing. It’s been a pretty dramatic change, I can really see a difference.

I know those ideas won’t tighten up skin after weight loss, but they might help with in a general overall healthy skin way.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Spryte said:

I’m not sure this will help with weight loss effects, but a year ago or maybe closer to 18 mos ago, I felt that my face skin was showing its age. I talked to the derm and started using tretinoin at night and Vit C serum in the am. I added a really inexpensive collagen cream for moisturizing, something for rosacea, and switched the few makeup products that I use to something more moisturizing. It’s been a pretty dramatic change, I can really see a difference.

I know those ideas won’t tighten up skin after weight loss, but they might help with in a general overall healthy skin way.

I have rosacea.  What do you use for that?

38 minutes ago, Carol in Cal. said:

I have rosacea.  What do you use for that?

Metronidazole cream. It’s not ideal, because it should be used twice daily and I don’t always get both in. I use it every morning, and at night I use tretinoin. If I have time I use the tretinoin and wait 20 minutes to put on the metronizadole cream. But honestly — sometimes I’m tired and I just go to bed. I would prefer a once daily option. The derm wanted me to use Soolantra but my insurance won’t cover it, and I react badly to azelaic acid, so we settled on this and will talk again soon. It’s working really well though, so maybe I shouldn’t change it!

2 hours ago, Spryte said:

Can you tell me which Vitamin C serum you use? I used one years ago, but got lazy and now I can't remember what it was called! 

I hear ya on that!  Last year I complained to myself because my biceps looked fat. I thought, what the heck, I swim for fitness, how could that be? Then this weekend, I made the mistake of shopping and seeing myself in the mirror of the dressing room. When I bend forward, now my biceps look wrinkly.  So I realize that I would rather have my 'fat' arms back.  I guess I am losing muscle which they say happens as we age. Early 60's here, and  I'm not enjoying the changes. I will be all ears about the face suggestions and have begun to workout with Kaleigh Cohen, as suggested in another thread. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, GailV said:

I use SunWarrior brand

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Catwoman said:

Can you tell me which Vitamin C serum you use? I used one years ago, but got lazy and now I can't remember what it was called! 

I use Obagi. My derm office sells it, but I watch Zulily for deals and they have better prices. I like Obagi products, but this is the only one I still use.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Catwoman said:

I’m not the one you asked, but I wanted to say I use Timeless and really like it. I don’t use many face products, but this one has been a keeper for me! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Botox (or Dysport) and fillers. I get a little Dysport but not fillers. I could probably use more, but I only get it in my worse sport where I have a horizontal line between my eyes. I also use PCA brand skincare products—ex linea tightens the skin.  Nothing is a miracle but can help. The bad thing about needles in the face is it is expensive, snd it’s another appointment often… congratulations on your weight loss.  We do lose collagen as we age. I’m curious about home micro needling! 

For me, it's just the way things are.  Plumper people around me have fuller faces than I do.  I keep well moisturised, but otherwise try to just accept.  This is attributed to Catherine Deneuve

"After 40 a woman must chose between her ass or her face"

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 12

20 hours ago, Spryte said:

Do you use tretinoin over your whole face? Around your eyes? 

DD switched to a different strength for her acne and I'm tempted to try her leftover low concentration cream for my wrinkles and age spots. 

13 minutes ago, MercyA said:

Do you use tretinoin over your whole face? Around your eyes? 

DD switched to a different strength for her acne and I'm tempted to try her leftover low concentration cream for my wrinkles and age spots. 

I don’t put it on my eyelids, but yes, I put it on my whole face and if there’s leftover on my neck and back of the hands.

My previous derm PA had me on the same strength as DS for acne, and he couldn’t tolerate it — so I used his for about six months, then my current derm doubled the strength about a year ago, and I can see a difference. It took time, though. I think tretinoin is a long game, not a quick fix.

I did have some peeling at the start, but nothing unmanageable.

It’s not perfect, but I’m not going to do fillers or Botox (at least not planning on those!) and I’m happy with these results. My skin looks healthier, and I have less fine lines, I think/hope.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Ting Tang said:

Botox (or Dysport) and fillers. I get a little Dysport but not fillers. I could probably use more, but I only get it in my worse sport where I have a horizontal line between my eyes. I also use PCA brand skincare products—ex linea tightens the skin.  Nothing is a miracle but can help. The bad thing about needles in the face is it is expensive, snd it’s another appointment often… congratulations on your weight loss.  We do lose collagen as we age. I’m curious about home micro needling! 

I love the PCA Silk Coat Balm a ton!

If nothing invasive, I would use tretinoin prescription strength (I prefer an online pharmacy like Agency) and vitamin C such as Maelove or Timeless. I know there are devises such as MediCube or Nira Pro or even LED masks that could possibly help with collagen production, but they are rather expensive and could take a long time to see results. 

Congrats on the weight loss! I can barely get it down by 5#s. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Pick a happy medium.  Unless your doctor tells you to keep losing weight, it's fine to be a little bigger in the behind in order to be a little less wrinkled in the face.  All my 50-65yo skinny friends who exercise constantly look 10-15 years older than they really are.  It's really confusing to meet someone who looks like she's 75yo, only to find out she's 62 and teaches aerobics classes!  Meanwhile, my friend who's 73 and has a little extra on the bones looks like she's around 60, maybe less.   

• Like 3

14 hours ago, klmama said:

Pick a happy medium.  Unless your doctor tells you to keep losing weight, it's fine to be a little bigger in the behind in order to be a little less wrinkled in the face.  All my 50-65yo skinny friends who exercise constantly look 10-15 years older than they really are.  It's really confusing to meet someone who looks like she's 75yo, only to find out she's 62 and teaches aerobics classes!  Meanwhile, my friend who's 73 and has a little extra on the bones looks like she's around 60, maybe less.   

That is where I am.   I used to look much younger than my age.   Doctor wanted 150 for me at 5’5” and mid 50s.  I decided 155-160 was a healthy range.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Ottakee said:

That is where I am.   I used to look much younger than my age.   Doctor wanted 150 for me at 5’5” and mid 50s.  I decided 155-160 was a healthy range.

I am in the same boat, same height. I decided 160 is okay. My doc and his nurse practitioner are determined that I should be 120. Sigh. The nurse practitioner admits she eats 2400 calories a day, and doesn't exercise, and maintains 130 on her 5'7" frame. No worries. I exercise hard and regularly, and have had to drop to 1100 calories a day in order to not gain weight. I am pretty certain I am going to have to fast for 30 days to lose weight because my body hates me. I barely have enough energy on 1100 calories to keep up the exercise routine. My face looks younger than I am at my current weight which is not down to 160 by any stretch. I feel like if I was insane enough and declared such a war on food that I got down to anything lower than 160, I will look 80 and am only 54.

I just want to say you are my hero, Ottakee! You inspire me.

• Like 2

You might want to look into Hyaluronic Acid oral supplements. But do a little research on what molecular weight is best. I used to think a low molecular weight was better, but more recently the studies I've seen are using high molecular weight. donotage.org is a reputable source for high molecular weight. I am taking Pure Encapsulations which is low molecular weight. I will probably switch when this supply runs out. Not sure. Still looking at research. 

Topical HA has been really hyped over the past several years, but it doesn't really do anything--unless you are getting it injected as a filler of course. (I have never tried that though) Topical HA can actually dry your skin further if you live in a dry climate because (supposedly) it will draw moisture out of your skin. 

Here is a link to donotage.org HA supplement. There is a TED talk video if you scroll down. eta: just watched...it isn't about skin rejuvenation at all. It is about her work with long lived species of animals. There is probably more info on the website's blog. 

https://donotage.org/pure-hyaluronic-acid

Edited by popmom
  • Like 1

I linked above, but I was just looking at it again, and he has a 2 minute routine he says will make you look an average of 5 years younger in 2 months IF big IF- you don’t already take good care of your skin.

Wash twice a day morning and night - if dry skin use a creamy soap, if oily skin, use a foaming soap. In the morning apply a vitamin c and e serum followed by a sunscreen. In the evening after washing apply a retinol, preferably the prescribed kind, but not necessarily if you can’t get it. Just use a retinol type cream. Exfoliate twice a week. 

I’m not great with products, but I do take decent care, so I don’t think I’ll get the 5 year effect. But, I did order a new serum for the morning. I’ve tried prescription retin a a few times and I can’t get past the peeling part, although I do think it would help. So now I just use a retinol that feels good. 

• Like 1