Menu

Controversial topic: is "Fast Car" a girl song or not?

SKL

It usually takes me quite a few listens to really enjoy a new song. I like my tried and true favorites. Not so with covers! If I loved the original, chances are I will like the remake, if it's done with respect and care. 

Tracy Chapman's song was and is sublime. Luke Combs did a very nice job with it. I appreciate his support for Black Lives Matter and his apologies for using the Confederate flag years ago. 

• Like 5

"Fast Car" v "I Will Always Love You"

1 hour ago, KidsHappen said:

I never interpreted the original as a girl song or the writer as a lesbian so I am not fighting with that cognitive dissonance. I interpreted it as a young couple trying to escape generational poverty. When I first listened to Combs version I thought Tracy's was better but after the first few bars I think he found his footing and in the end brought a lot more depth to the song. I think his version will reach a lot more people. The country genre I think will really reach out to a lot more teens and young adults trying to escape generational poverty. 

This very much reminds me of "I Will Always Love You" by Dolly Parton. I listened to it as a child growing up and knew that she had written it as a sort of goodbye to a very dear friend that she was moving on from. Then in the 80's Whitney came along and redid it and her version has become one of the greatest love anthems of all time. The words are exactly the same but she brought so much depth to the song. There is no doubt that she is singing to a past lover. 

That is one of the wonderful things about music, it often meets you where you are. 

I definitely also think of these two songs together -- both songs started one place and some years later crossed music genre and racial divides to land in another, with both songs there is a significant bend in the "storytelling" associated with that cross; with both crossovers the song (mebbe not so much the original songwriter/artist?  dunno) became known to a much wider audience, in both cases with a significant financial benefit to the original songwriter.  Different song, different crossover directions, different particulars; same story.

In my own case, my exposure to the songs was in the opposite order than yours -- when Fast Car came out in 1988 I was living overseas, and went several times a week to a particular neighborhood cafe that played Tracy Chapman's "album" (that was the era, folks) overandoverandover. (In hindsight I expect it was likely the only gay-friendly cafe in the city but I was too young and clueless to recognize it as such at the time.)  Anyway I was VERY familiar with every song on that album.

Whereas I never heard I Will Always Love You until Houston's version exploded on the scene; and when it did I had no idea it was Dolly Parton's song; I just received it as her glorious breakup ballad and only learned it was Dolly's song years later; and the particular Dolly/Porter Wagoner story behind it I did not learn until decades later when I listened through the (absolutely awesome) Dolly Parton's America series (which, run, don't walk, if you're a DP fan).

I just listened to both songs both ways, and to my untrained ear (I'm a much closer/ attentive/ informed reader, than listener to music, so YMMV), both covers sound to me extremely close to their respective originals, in terms of the instrumentation and even pacing, than many transformative covers that have crossed over genres / audiences / implications to the storytelling (Hound Dog, All Along the Watchtower, Babe I'm Gonna Leave You, Hallelujah).  But the differences in the voice, and also the particular person who's singing (gender, race, personal background, etc) transforms how the story lands.

Which to me is just the coolest thing ever, and wonderfully exemplifies the particular vs universal capacity of art.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, KidsHappen said:

I never interpreted the original as a girl song or the writer as a lesbian so I am not fighting with that cognitive dissonance. I interpreted it as a young couple trying to escape generational poverty. When I first listened to Combs version I thought Tracy's was better but after the first few bars I think he found his footing and in the end brought a lot more depth to the song. I think his version will reach a lot more people. The country genre I think will really reach out to a lot more teens and young adults trying to escape generational poverty. 

This very much reminds me of "I Will Always Love You" by Dolly Parton. I listened to it as a child growing up and knew that she had written it as a sort of goodbye to a very dear friend that she was moving on from. Then in the 80's Whitney came along and redid it and her version has become one of the greatest love anthems of all time. The words are exactly the same but she brought so much depth to the song. There is no doubt that she is singing to a past lover. 

That is one of the wonderful things about music, it often meets you where you are. 

And in the movie version of "Best Little Whorehouse", she's singing it wrt to a guy she loves, but can't be with for social reasons...and also to the life that she had and is losing.

I'm a musician, so I never quite "get" cover discussions. Less than 1% of the music I've performed or played or sang in my life is original to me, and that's the case for most of us. Interpretations are part of being a musician. The idea that only one artist, and only one interpretation is valid seems destined to fail, because artists die, but songs can be immortal. 

And since music is so much a reflection of your personal memories and experiences, if you ask 10 people, they'll have 10 separate impressions of the original, let alone a cover. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, KidsHappen said:

The bolded is how I always interpreted it. I find it both sad and inspirational. Sad because the couple who had such high hopes doesn't make it. Inspirational because she finally decides she's going to break the cycle even if he (in my mind it's definitely a he) won't come along.

I had no idea it's considered a lesbian anthem until I saw this thread.

I also didn't know there was a cover version by a male country singer. I'm not a country fan but I listened to Combs' version before commenting. He does a decent job but I think part of the reason is due to Chapman's insistence he not change anything. Good for her.

I much prefer the Dolly Parton version to Whitney's cover. I don't know musical terms but the reason I like Dolly's better is because it slowly reaches the crescendo. Whitney's reaches a peak early on. It's not bad and I do like it but I find Dolly's slow burn to be much more emotional.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Lady Florida. said:

I much prefer the Dolly Parton version to Whitney's cover. I don't know musical terms but the reason I like Dolly's better is because it slowly reaches the crescendo. Whitney's reaches a peak early on. It's not bad and I do like it but I find Dolly's slow burn to be much more emotional.

I agree.  WH's version is nice, and it would be a great song if there had been no DP version.  But I always liked the DP version better.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Heartstrings said:

So, what makes a song a “girl” song? Is it just the POV?  I’ve never really thought about it before.  

What I meant was:  does the song's message or inspiration come in part from the fact that the singer / protagonist is a female?

Like, "The Rose" is a beautiful song sung by a woman, but it wouldn't lose any of its meaning / message by being sung by a man.

The reason I thought the Hive might have things to say about this was, partly, the recent trends in how we view genders.  Specifically, it is not necessary that the person driving a fast car on a date is the male in the couple.  It's not necessary that the person who takes on the caring roles for the father and the children is the female of the couple.

And honestly, while I'm happy roles are being shared more, I feel like it also glosses over reality.  Because still today, and probably for generations to come (like it or not), the genders aren't equal, their roles are not 50/50 (and I'm not sure they should be), and women still have a tougher row to hoe in much of the world.  I don't know that it's helpful to take away things like "girl songs" that help get us through tough times.

• Like 3

I agree with you, SKL.    
I heard Luke Comb's version 3 times today, driving to and from my grocery pickup.  I think I finally figured out what bothers me about his version, but I won't say it because I'll be deemed woke or some other nonsense.   I'll just say that I wish another female artist (Mickey guyton comes to mind) would've redone it instead of LC.  Not that I have anything against him (seriously, I don't!  I actually like his music!) but this song feels like it should be for women, by women.    I *am* glad the song is being listened to by more people and I'm glad Chapman is getting *something* from it.  

This is not the thread I expected!

Songs aren't 'girl' or 'boy' songs.

People cover other people's songs all the time, they don't have to gender match.

I have no idea how people got into the whole lesbians IVF thing.

I like the original song, haven't heard the cover, not really interested - the guy is a country singer? Yeah, nah.

• Like 3

The other reason I'm dismayed is that the production of a "cover" often means we no longer hear the original.  And when the original is so good, or meant so much to us, that feels like a real loss.  A loss to us, and a loss to the next generation.

I'm being way too dramatic here.  But I am sad that this is probably the end of a super good song.

IMO don't do a cover unless the original is meh and your cover is going to be amazing.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, SKL said:

The guy version sounds nice enough, but I feel like it takes away the "girl power" aspect of the song for me.  Maybe if I re-listen from the perspective of the child of the couple, I'll feel differently.

I'm not sure what the "girl power" aspect of the song is supposed to be, because she ends up almost exactly where she started. Somewhat better job? Maybe? It just says that she has a job that pays their bills while he drinks - she's taking care of him while he drinks exactly as she took care of her dad while he drank. 

And it seems really clear to me that she didn't reach her goals: I'd always hoped for better, 
Thought maybe together you and me would find it

She didn't find better. 

Edited by katilac
  • Like 7

2 hours ago, SKL said:

The other reason I'm dismayed is that the production of a "cover" often means we no longer hear the original. 

I don't think holds true in the age of streaming. 

A younger person might not go looking for it, but a younger person is also not likely to be listening to the oldies radio station to hear it by chance. There's actually probably a better chance that someone who would like the song would hear it via streaming, bc it takes your tastes into account. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, katilac said:

I'm not sure what the "girl power" aspect of the song is supposed to be, because she ends up almost exactly where she started. Somewhat better job? Maybe? It just says that she has a job that pays their bills while he drinks - she's taking care of him while he drinks exactly as she took care of her dad while he drank. 

And it seems really clear to me that she didn't reach her goals: I'd always hoped for better, 
Thought maybe together you and me would find it

She didn't find better. 

The way I interpret it is that she kicks him out because it turns out she always had what it takes to succeed, she’s found herself and is ready to shake off the shackles of self doubt.  She didn’t find better in that man, but he’s not going to drag her down any more.  And she doesn’t feel the need to run away from her situation any more.  Maybe she will “find better” in another man or without a man.

Of course it’s just my interpretation.  But there is some reason this song is so popular.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, SKL said:

The way I interpret it is that she kicks him out because it turns out she always had what it takes to succeed, she’s found herself and is ready to shake off the shackles of self doubt.  She didn’t find better in that man, but he’s not going to drag her down any more.  And she doesn’t feel the need to run away from her situation any more.  Maybe she will “find better” in another man or without a man.

Of course it’s just my interpretation.  But there is some reason this song is so popular.

That's more or less how I read it too. As a kid, she (though she) needed some one else, and a fast car, to get out. By the end, she realized she'd reproduced both her mother's story and her own origin story, still in a (comparatively) dead end job and (again) shouldering the burden of taking care of a (different) hard drinking unemployed man, now with kids as well.  But it's different, because by the end she realizes that she *has* the resources find better all on her own.  (My reading of the last stanza was always that she's kicking him to the curb, enough already, much as her mother left her dad. I just reread the lyrics and I can see other ways to read it too.)

Definite girl power trajectory in the particulars.

And, also, same time, a generalized coming-of-age story, and also a generalized haul-out-of-poverty-by-sheer-determination-and-grit story, which hits universal themes.

• Like 1

Honestly, I knew the song by the title and can sing most of the lyrics but it was before my time and I had no clue who the writer/singer was. The voice is beautiful and unique, but somehow I always thought/assumed it was a man singing. The "checkout girl" line was not one I remember and it must have never registered. So this whole thread was news to me, and when I saw Tracy was a woman, I figured it was not biographical. I don't think most songs are biographical. (Is biographical even a word or do I mean biographic? I am tired.)

22 minutes ago, Brittany1116 said:

Honestly, I knew the song by the title and can sing most of the lyrics but it was before my time and I had no clue who the writer/singer was. The voice is beautiful and unique, but somehow I always thought/assumed it was a man singing. The "checkout girl" line was not one I remember and it must have never registered. So this whole thread was news to me, and when I saw Tracy was a woman, I figured it was not biographical. I don't think most songs are biographical. (Is biographical even a word or do I mean biographic? I am tired.)

I thought it was sung by a man for a very years too.  

I've never thought this song had a happy ending. Power anthem?

Woman now in slightly less poverty than earlier due to slightly better job than earlier check out role, although now with kids, kicks out dead beat husband...I mean, good, but not exactly rags to riches!

It's a sad song, to me.

To me it's about poverty, and how corrosive it is, and how the 'dream' is just hard work, and maybe loss too, if you need to leave behind others who understand what it's like to come from poverty.

• Like 4

Thinking about this while lying in bed last night, some of the song kinda mirrors my folks' situation, but only partly.  My mom grew up in a pretty awful situation, including divorced parents, alcoholism, and abuse.  She dropped out of school on her 16th birthday with her mom's encouragement, so she could help out.  She married my dad at 17 (he was 19) partly to get out of her mom's house.  (No idea if my dad had a "fast car," but my mom didn't drive until later.)  My dad had a lot of issues related to being dyslexic - left school at 15, found it hard to keep a job.  He was also wired to be alcoholic.  They had 6 kids together.  The differences - my dad woke up at some point in his 20s and quit the alcohol completely.  My mom taught him to read.  He read the Bible and we joined a church.  Both of my parents did their GEDs and eventually their associates' degrees.  Was it rags to riches?  No way.  6 kids who all went to college.  They're lucky to have avoided bankruptcy.  (I helped them a lot, financially, after I had a good job.)  But ... they are still together, living in a paid off house.

I think my mom was like the lady in the song in terms of hard work and inner strength and growing to know what she was.  I think my dad was different in that he gave a damn enough to give up the drinks.  Possibly the turning point was when I busted my head open and my mom couldn't reach my dad to drive us to the hospital / stay with the other kids.  My sister was a newborn at the time.  Dad showed up home oblivious and my granny, assuming he'd been at the hospital, asked if "the baby" was OK, which freaked him out.  And maybe my mom, after bringing me home all bandaged up like a mummy, said something along the lines of "you gotta make a decision - leave tonight or live and die this way."  Just a thought.

• Like 3

Not a country fan, thought the new version was "meh".  Loved the Tracy Chapman version, yes a girl song I think because so much of what she goes through seems female to me.  I think in the digital age it will prompt more interest in the original song.  But yes, a really good song meets you where you are.  What always hit me the most, that applies to SO MANY THINGS is this line...   Leave tonight or live and die this way. 

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
4 minutes ago, SKL said:

So I learned that Tracy Chapman and Luke Combs performed the song together last night.  Cool!

I learned that too. I don't watch awards shows but from some Facebook posts it seems they did a good job. I might see if I can find it. I'm sure it will be on YouTube.

• Like 1

Thank you so much for posting the video. I don’t watch awards shows and was seriously bummed this morning to find out they performed together. Everything about that was beautiful. Tracy Chapman is gorgeous. They seemed to have some great chemistry and appreciation for each other. The audience shots were lovely. I am indifferent to Taylor Swift but I loved the shot of her. 
I loved Tracy Chapman back in the day and had her CDs. I didn’t know anything about her personally to have an opinion on the lyrics. I enjoy Luke Combs music and bought the album when it first came out because I loved several of the songs and was surprised to see Fast Cars was a remake of my fav Tracy Chapman song. 
I know I already said this, but Tracy Chapman was gorgeous last night on stage! 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, GoVanGogh said:

Thank you so much for posting the video. I don’t watch awards shows and was seriously bummed this morning to find out they performed together. Everything about that was beautiful. Tracy Chapman is gorgeous. They seemed to have some great chemistry and appreciation for each other. The audience shots were lovely. I am indifferent to Taylor Swift but I loved the shot of her. 
I loved Tracy Chapman back in the day and had her CDs. I didn’t know anything about her personally to have an opinion on the lyrics. I enjoy Luke Combs music and bought the album when it first came out because I loved several of the songs and was surprised to see Fast Cars was a remake of my fav Tracy Chapman song. 
I know I already said this, but Tracy Chapman was gorgeous last night on stage! 

Agree!!

She looked genuinely moved, especially at the beginning, and just looked so happy. ☺️ I also liked how he kept looking over at her and mouthing the words while she was singing. I don't know if that was to keep time with her or just because he was excited. They sounded amazing together!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sassenach said:

There was also a whole lead-in video where he talks about how much the song meant to him and why he chose to record it. That segment was my favorite part of the night.

I didn't see that...I'll have to go find it. 

5 hours ago, Vintage81 said:

Their performance was so good! 

Thank you! I had wanted to hear this. I love how music crosses generations and color lines and geography, and this shows that. 

But, I'd pick Tracy Chapman's version over his, just because I adore her. 

Edited by ktgrok
  • Like 3

i heard a live version of Chapman singing it at some point - I think maybe NPR did it. She was at some big festival, and was scheduled to play on one of the small stages as an opening/side act, which she did. But then someone canceled or was sick or something happened, I forget what, and they asked her to go sing on the main big stage in front of the whole big festival. And she did, and was a pro and acted like she'd been doing it all her life. Was amazing. 

• Like 2