Menu

Have you had your latest Covid vaccine yet? (Edited…not a booster)

Scarlett

Dh and I got our vaccines yesterday. Did it earlier than we would have liked for the holiday season because ds is having surgery next week. Disappointed that we couldn't just wait a little longer and get Novavax (just to change it up a little)--we were literally driving home from the vaccine when I read online that Novavax has been approved. But better vaccinated than not, so it's all good.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, goldberry said:

I really wanted to wait for Novovax also.  I can't seem to find any info on the timeline?  I'm wondering if I should keep waiting or go ahead and go for the usual booster.

Now that FDA approved Novovax  I’m hearing it might be available beginning next week? My county Board of Health said they will have it, and I’ve heard Rite Aid and some CVS and Costco locations. 

• Like 2

I got mine on Monday, and also got a flu shot (one each arm). My arm was sore, and I felt a little under the weather about 24 hours later - like achy and cranky. My arm was pretty sore but is better today (48 hours later) but I think I've got a swollen lymph node or two in that arm pit, as it feels a bit weird to put my arm at my side. Nothing I can palpate, but feels odd/pinchy. 

Worst part of it all is my car battery died while I was inside Walgreens getting my shots, lol. DS 24 had to come jump the battery so I could go home. 

• Sad 4

17 hours ago, Harriet Vane said:

Dh and I got our vaccines yesterday. Did it earlier than we would have liked for the holiday season because ds is having surgery next week. Disappointed that we couldn't just wait a little longer and get Novavax (just to change it up a little)--we were literally driving home from the vaccine when I read online that Novavax has been approved. But better vaccinated than not, so it's all good.

May I ask why you would have preferred the norovax?

Just now, Harriet Vane said:

Merely to do something different. I have read that having different formulations encourages a broader immune response. 

Oh ok.  I am seeing that the Norovax is the first non MRNA and it is ‘almost as effective as the MRNA ones’.

Just now, Scarlett said:

Oh ok.  I am seeing that the Norovax is the first non MRNA and it is ‘almost as effective as the MRNA ones’.

I feel that Pfizer and Moderna and Novavax are all solid, relevant vaccines. I have toggled between Pfizer and Moderna all along for whatever small boost I can get from using a mixture rather than just one thing. But I think it’s clear that doing just one type is effective too.

• Thanks 1

My doctor's office (in a large health system here) confirmed that they don't have the Covid vax--there was some issue with the bivalent, not sure what but they hope to have it by mid-October. So I'm holding tight for a few weeks and I'll hold off on flu shot too in the hope I'll still be able to get both at the same time. While flu has been hitting earlier in recent years, it's still usually a little later on west coast than east coast.

I got mine last week, along with flu and tetanus, at Walgreens. It was a popular idea, and even with an appointment, the line was very long. The pharmacist giving the shots was super rushed. I actually bled a bit and bruised from the COVID shot, which I think has more to do with the rush than the vaccine. I was sleepier than normal the next few days, but nothing like my second shot when I fell asleep in the middle of the day and pretty much stayed asleep till morning.

On 9/29/2023 at 12:19 PM, Lady Florida. said:

However many have been available. Four? Five? I had the initial two then a booster. Then a second booster. Was there a third? I can't remember. 

I look forward to the day when the covid vaccine is just an annual shot like the flu shot and I don't have to keep going to get boosters.

To the bolded, we're already there. I've gotten all the shots shortly after they were available,  and the last one was pretty much exactly a year ago, and from what I've heard there's no plan to have them available any more frequently going forward. 

Even though Covid mutates faster than flu and does not appear to be as seasonal, and coverage for each shot wanes quite a bit after 6 Mos.  I kinda wish they had the option for biannual shots for older or immunocompromised people. And maybe used that fancy mRNA tech that we were told was so great partly because it can be produced in just 6wks to match a new strain, instead of it seeming to take longer to appear seasonally than the flu shot that takes like half a year to adapt.

I just had the latest booster. That's #6 now.

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Matryoshka said:

And maybe used that fancy mRNA tech that we were told was so great partly because it can be produced in just 6wks to match a new strain, instead of it seeming to take longer to appear seasonally than the flu shot that takes like half a year to adapt.

The developers of the mRNA covid vaccines just won the Nobel Prize for Physiology. I expected Nobel Prize winning medical tech to be much better than what we've seen. I think if more people got vaccinated early on the mutations wouldn't have happened so quickly. That's my layman's opinion and it could be totally wrong though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Matryoshka said:

I kinda wish they had the option for biannual shots for older or immunocompromised people.

If I understand the CDC recommendations correctly then moderate to severely immunocompromised people already have that option. From my interpretation (which definitely could be wrong) they're recommending that group get the updated 2023-2024 vaccine and saying they're eligible to receive one more dose eight weeks or more afterwards.

3 hours ago, Lady Florida. said:

The developers of the mRNA covid vaccines just won the Nobel Prize for Physiology. I expected Nobel Prize winning medical tech to be much better than what we've seen. I think if more people got vaccinated early on the mutations wouldn't have happened so quickly. That's my layman's opinion and it could be totally wrong though.

Jesus. You expected the two people who created the technology to save millions of lives from Covid, and perhaps millions more with the other diseases it's being experimented with, to be much better than what you've seen after how many short years?? Smh. 

As to the title thread- this is not being called a booster. It's being called and updated vaccination. 

Here's an article from last year with Faucci explaining why perhaps the vax doesn't last longer, and maybe they'll understand it better once it gets used on other diseases.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/05/20/health/mrna-vaccine-technology-covid-19-durability/index.html

Edited by Idalou
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Matryoshka said:

To the bolded, we're already there. I've gotten all the shots shortly after they were available,  and the last one was pretty much exactly a year ago, and from what I've heard there's no plan to have them available any more frequently going forward. 

Even though Covid mutates faster than flu and does not appear to be as seasonal, and coverage for each shot wanes quite a bit after 6 Mos.  I kinda wish they had the option for biannual shots for older or immunocompromised people. And maybe used that fancy mRNA tech that we were told was so great partly because it can be produced in just 6wks to match a new strain, instead of it seeming to take longer to appear seasonally than the flu shot that takes like half a year to adapt.

I just had the latest booster. That's #6 now.

My immunologist wrote a prescription for me to get a second one last year, and I plan to request one this year. I don't qualify as severely immunocompromised, but the risk to me is enough that she feels it's warranted, 

• Like 1

On 10/3/2023 at 7:42 PM, madteaparty said:

Are we still doing this? No. Why?

Is this rhetorical or are you actually wondering why people are trying to reduce Covid risk? I’ll explain if you’re really wanting to know, but I won’t bother if you don’t actually care. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Lady Florida. said:

The developers of the mRNA covid vaccines just won the Nobel Prize for Physiology. I expected Nobel Prize winning medical tech to be much better than what we've seen. 

Kariko and Weissman did not develop the covid vaccines, their research on mRNA solved a fundamental problem that previously prevented lab-made mRNA from being used as a basis for vaccines. Their research was patented (by UPenn — Kariko and Weissman did not get any financial benefit and in fact Kariko was demoted and fired by UPenn) and the technology was eventually licensed to BioNTech (which partnered with Pfizer) and Moderna, who developed the covid vaccines. Kariko and Weissman's research has immunotherapy applications that go beyond the covid vaccines, including personalized treatments for cancer.

• Like 14

6 hours ago, Harriet Vane said:

Merely to do something different. I have read that having different formulations encourages a broader immune response. 

I read something similar.  I'm kind of disappointed we haven't seen a nasal vaccine for COVID yet.  Considering that the vaxxes were not that great at preventing initial illness/infection, I read a lot saying that a nasal vaccine might help that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Corraleno said:

Kariko and Weissman did not develop the covid vaccines, their research on mRNA solved a fundamental problem that previously prevented lab-made mRNA from being used as a basis for vaccines. Their research was patented (by UPenn — Kariko and Weissman did not get any financial benefit and in fact Kariko was demoted and fired by UPenn) and the technology was eventually licensed to BioNTech (which partnered with Pfizer) and Moderna, who developed the covid vaccines. Kariko and Weissman's research has immunotherapy applications that go beyond the covid vaccines, including personalized treatments for cancer.

Yes, I should have been more clear in how I worded my post. It was modifications leading to development of the vaccine that won them the prize.

for their discoveries concerning nucleoside base modifications that enabled the development of effective mRNA vaccines against COVID-19

The discoveries by the two Nobel Laureates were critical for developing effective mRNA vaccines against COVID-19 during the pandemic that began in early 2020. Through their groundbreaking findings, which have fundamentally changed our understanding of how mRNA interacts with our immune system, the laureates contributed to the unprecedented rate of vaccine development during one of the greatest threats to human health in modern times. 

• Scarlett changed the title to Have you had your latest Covid vaccine yet? (Edited…not a booster)
56 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Has anyone else had trouble finding the updated shot for kids?  

I am having trouble getting an appointment for an updated shot for me, an adult. Had one scheduled today at noon and the pharmacy called me at 8am to say they ran out yesterday afternoon. I tried somewhere else today that didn’t want to process my insurance and now the only sure appointment isn’t available til Oct 24 (though I keep looking for something sooner). This is really frustrating, I’ve been trying to get one for the last two weeks before some upcoming travel. 

Sorry, I realize I didn’t answer your question re vaccine for kids but just chiming in to say demand is high and apparently exceeding availability. 

Edited by Grace Hopper
  • Sad 3

2 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Has anyone else had trouble finding the updated shot for kids?  

Yes. I have been reading there have been major distribution issues with the kids’ shots. I have heard of people making appointments and having them cancelled. I don’t know anyone who has actually been able to have their child vaccinated with the updated shot yet.

• Sad 1

Got my flu shot last Friday. Got COVID shot yesterday (October 6). My arm is so sore. Woke up with a headache and just kind of achy all over but I didn’t sleep well last night. It’s mild enough I could just feel off from not sleeping well or it could be side effects. Who knows. DH & DS are getting their COVID shots Monday. We all wanted to get flu & covid shots together but they both weren’t available last week. Glad it’s taken care of. 

I had fever/chills with my second booster but that’s been it. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Same. It’s super concerning to think of people not being able to get necessary medications. We have one that can’t be refilled until next week, so I can’t get it ahead of time and I’m very worried about it running out. I guess we’d have to get it called into a different pharmacy. Staffing issues are bad at our Walgreens, but I’m not certain how management can fix it if nobody is wanting those jobs. It’s a tough problem. I guess they need to make the compensation high enough to make up for it being such a stressful place to work right now. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I got Moderna last evening. My arm is a little sore and I'm a bit achey but that's it. No major headache or fatigue such as I've had with the earlier vaccine and some boosters.

ETA: felt a little warm on that second day and some fatigue. All clear a day later except the aching arm, which isn't too bad.

Edited by Pippen

29 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

huh, wonder if maybe it was just that my pharmacy was only doing ages 12 and up?

Maybe they don't have the kid shots.  The only thing that is 12 and up is the Novavax.

It comes after updated COVID-19 vaccines from Pfizer and Moderna began rolling out last month, intended for adults and children as young as age 6 months. Another option was added on Tuesday with the U.S.-approved reformulated Novavax shots for anyone 12 or older.

COVID Map Shows Four States, Territories With Highest Positive Test Rates (msn.com)

For those thinking about Novavax. https://www.science.org/content/article/should-you-pick-novavax-s-covid-19-shot-over-mrna-options

Nowhere to be found here yet (Topol ended up getting Pfizer). Also,  no under 12 of any kind available yet around here, according to vaccines.org. This rollout is a mess. And our state (and our employer!) is doing lots of flu clinics, but no covid clinics 😞

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

We all four got the new covid shots yesterday, including DS11. The walgreens website wouldn't let me make an appointment for him, but when I called the gal said no worries, she'd just put it in when we got there.

We got both flu and covid shots at the same time. We've all been taking some Tylenol for achy arms, but have had no other issues. I'm so glad we got them now, because we're going to a wedding soon and I don't want to catch or spread anything there.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, El... said:

We all four got the new covid shots yesterday, including DS11. The walgreens website wouldn't let me make an appointment for him, but when I called the gal said no worries, she'd just put it in when we got there.

We got both flu and covid shots at the same time. We've all been taking some Tylenol for achy arms, but have had no other issues. I'm so glad we got them now, because we're going to a wedding soon and I don't want to catch or spread anything there.

Oh good to know!!!!!!!! I will try that.

• Like 1

Both adult and kid doses have been nearly impossible to get here. 

Our Walgreens regularly has reduced hours or completely closed days on short notice due to staffing. They seem to be having longer shortages of meds also. We used to use them—had some rx actually sent there accidentally this last week—and they had 0/3 meds available within 72 hours. These were very common meds, not listed as in shortage on the ashp website. 

• Sad 5

Ok I finally got an appointment at the minute clinic (rather than the pharmacy) and got my flu and covid this morning. 

The nurse practitioner said they don’t give shingles at the same time as the Moderna covid vax, so I’ll get that later. I’ve had four Pfizer shots and this is my first Moderna. I’m glad to have finally gotten one and have a leisurely day planned for tomorrow in case I start feeling crummy. 

• Like 4

On 9/27/2023 at 11:23 PM, Scarlett said:

Are they calling it a booster?  Shrug. Covid vaccine.

Dh had his yesterday about 5 pm. He felt terrible this morning and was so sick by noon he wanted to come home but couldn’t manage the 45 min drive until about 4. He has been in bed since he got home with fever and chills and headache.  This is pretty typical for him. 

I got mine today about 5. I don’t usually have as bad a reaction. Fingers crossed. 

I had mine at midday yesterday and man I feel crummy today! I’d have had to call in sick if I were scheduled to work. Very sore arm, headache, chills, sore leg muscles, and I’m pretty sure a low grade fever but don’t feel like tracking down the thermometer (that probably got carried off to some child of mine’s dorm room). I gave myself a sick day and hope it doesn’t last beyond tomorrow. I’ve heard Moderna reactions are often more felt than Pfizer; this is my first Moderna. 

On 9/28/2023 at 11:10 AM, Frances said:

Everyone I know reacted to the first shingle shot. I had my first fever in almost 30 years with it.

I had a mild reaction - sore arm, slight headache, slight fatigue - the day after my first shingles shot. The NP yesterday told me to schedule shingles #2 on a Friday (or when I have a couple of days off) because in her experience the second shot can generate unpleasant side effects. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Grace Hopper said:

I had mine at midday yesterday and man I feel crummy today! I’d have had to call in sick if I were scheduled to work. Very sore arm, headache, chills, sore leg muscles, and I’m pretty sure a low grade fever but don’t feel like tracking down the thermometer (that probably got carried off to some child of mine’s dorm room). I gave myself a sick day and hope it doesn’t last beyond tomorrow. I’ve heard Moderna reactions are often more felt than Pfizer; this is my first Moderna. 

I had very little reaction to the original Pfizer shots, but Moderna boosters kicked my butt. That is one reason I'm waiting for Novavax, since the side effects are supposed to be less intense.

• Like 4

The vaccines.gov website does not appear very accurate. A couple of pharmacies I called had kid shots today (5-11), but nothing is listed in my immediate area on the government website. I've only been able to locate Pfizer for the kids so far (and I think that dose is too small).  Even for adults, the vaccines.gov site is not  accurate - it doesn't list local independent pharmacies that have adult vaccine in stock; it looks more like an ad for CVS and Walgreens. 

• Like 3

On 10/7/2023 at 5:18 PM, prairiewindmomma said:

Both adult and kid doses have been nearly impossible to get here. 

Our Walgreens regularly has reduced hours or completely closed days on short notice due to staffing. They seem to be having longer shortages of meds also. We used to use them—had some rx actually sent there accidentally this last week—and they had 0/3 meds available within 72 hours. These were very common meds, not listed as in shortage on the ashp website. 

Same 

• Sad 1

On 10/7/2023 at 11:52 AM, KSera said:

Same. It’s super concerning to think of people not being able to get necessary medications. We have one that can’t be refilled until next week, so I can’t get it ahead of time and I’m very worried about it running out. I guess we’d have to get it called into a different pharmacy. Staffing issues are bad at our Walgreens, but I’m not certain how management can fix it if nobody is wanting those jobs. It’s a tough problem. I guess they need to make the compensation high enough to make up for it being such a stressful place to work right now. 

They could start by hiring nurses to give all of the vaccines as my local grocery store started doing last fall. The wait time is much shorter for patients and pharmacists aren’t constantly being pulled away to give shots.

They also need to stop trying to influence state pharmacy boards and let them work as intended and get rid of their metrics and quotas that treat human employees like machines.

If your insurance plan allows it, I would encourage boardies to get their prescriptions filled at independent pharmacies or hospital based outpatient pharmacies, unless you know your local chain pharmacy does right by its employees. In general, the big chain pharmacies treat their employees terribly.

Edited by Frances
  • Like 2

We're doing everything we can to avoid the chain pharmacies for vaccines. They're absolutely chaotic. I've got an appointment with my PCP next week and hope I can get all the needed vaccines then. DH has an appointment at a Saturday flu shot clinic they run. He needs the new Covid vaccine and RSV, too, and if he can't arrange to get them through our PCP then I'm going to see if I can get him an appointment with the county health department. I learned with the first Covid vaccines that they're organized and calm.

Two of my kids and I got Covid and flu vaccines on Friday, and I took my 3rd kid on Saturday.  

We were all sore from the Covid shot, for 2 days.  

My husband needs to go, and my parents are waiting until they can go in to their doctor.  

One sister got it two weeks ago from her doctor, and my other sister has an appointment for Oct. 18.  

I need to keep talking to my husband and my parents.  My husband will be easier than my parents…. I will probably need to tell him when to go.  My parents seem to be pretty lackadaisical this year.  I’m going to offer to call the Dr for them if they haven’t scheduled in the next few days.  

• Like 1

I had my aunt scheduled today for the Covid vaccine at a CVS near her home but the insurance won't cover it -  I called because everything I can find says that it should be free under Medicare but the customer service said to call her PCP be cause the pharmacies aren't allowing Medicare to cover it?  Anyway, it's annoying but I just switched her to get the flu shot there today and I'll contact the Dr. Later today.  It's just annoying that it seems more difficult.  Cost without insurance is just shy of $200.

• Sad 2