Menu

When you were nursing did you eat spicy food?

Drama Llama

Yes, I did, for two reasons.  First, it is my understanding that the mother eating spicy food eases the transition to the toddler eating spicy food.  It seemed to work for our three kids.

Second, I had horrible reflux with my pregnancies.  Being able to eat all the wonderful spicy foods I had avoided was irresistible.  I made my husband get me spicy food in the hospital.  My third pregnancy was particularly bleak.  I am vegetarian, had terrible reflux and gestational diabetes.  There was so little I could eat.  I had a planned c-section, and a planned dream lunch of spicy foods and two desserts.

I will say that if I had a baby with digestive troubles or colic, I would probably try avoiding spicy food (and diary and a lot of things) to see if that helped.

• Like 1

I did, but I would still have some alternative to spicy food. I always have an alternative to spicy food, like enough to make a meal from, because some people aren't used to it, and some people who are used to it might be having an issue where they can't have it. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, katilac said:

I did, but I would still have some alternative to spicy food. I always have an alternative to spicy food, like enough to make a meal from, because some people aren't used to it, and some people who are used to it might be having an issue where they can't have it. 

We'll have elderly people, and little kids, and some adults who don't like spice.  So, there will be variety.

But my SIL loves spicy food, and I wouldn't want to make something she loves and then have her have to watch other people eat it.  

1 minute ago, BandH said:

We'll have elderly people, and little kids, and some adults who don't like spice.  So, there will be variety.

But my SIL loves spicy food, and I wouldn't want to make something she loves and then have her have to watch other people eat it.  

Oh, I wouldn't change the menu based on that. Sounds like you have a bit of a crowd, and there's generally always going to something that at least one person can't eat. 

1 hour ago, katilac said:

Oh, I wouldn't change the menu based on that. Sounds like you have a bit of a crowd, and there's generally always going to something that at least one person can't eat. 

I like to feed people I love.  I aim to make a menu that pleases everyone.  

i was fine with my usual level of spice.  Onions and garlic were fine, too.  But, I had to avoid broccoli and cabbage with one of my babies for as long as milk was their main food.  Once they started eating real food and nursed less often, I was fine with anything.  

• Like 1

I am not really a spicy food eater.  I mean, I eat food that is a lot spicier than say my in laws eat.  But by spicy food standards, I top out pretty mild.  I rarely get anything over a 3 or a 4.  But I ate my usual level of spice when I was nursing.  

7 hours ago, BandH said:

My friend loves spicy food but have to avoid for her first daughter and can eat moderately for her second daughter while nursing. She nurse for six months so she had to avoid even mild curry for her firstborn. She has extra breast milk saved so her children had breast milk until her saved breast milk ran out. 

I ate and drank everything and anything I wanted with all of mine.  I was so dadblum thrilled to no longer be puking sick and also felt like I was absolutely starving half the time when nursing.

But if you are concerned - just ask her.