• Smoker and proud of it
    • Smoker but trying/plan to quit -- it's my New Year's resolution
    • I'm one of those reformed smokers your mom always warned you about
    • Social smoker
    • I only smoke after making tea
    • Can't afford it in today's economy
    • ... but I never inhaled
    • Other because my answer doesn't fit into any neat little boxes

My grandmother smoked until she died when I was 15. Until I was around 10, I spent most everyday with her. From that, I have developed asthma as an adult. When I was 16-19, I smoked intermittently to "look cool." When I found out I was pg with my oldest son, I stopped cold turkey. I have not smoked even once in over 10 years. :) And I never will, ever again.

My dh lived with his parents until he was 21. They smoked all of his life. He also has developed asthma as an adult. His mother was in total denial that it ever had anything to do with her...even though my dh never smoked in his life! Unfortunately, his dad died when he (dh) was 21 (dad was 49) of a massive heart attack. He had a mild heart attack the year before he died and the doctor told him he would have to quit smoking. He tried, but eventually went back to it. He lost his life for it and my husband lost his best friend in the world. :(

Edited by Tree House Academy

I began smoking when I was 15 and smoked for 5 years. When I was 20 I had a near God experience. I was smoking outside of the house I was a nanny. (I never really discussed smoking with them. They told me in my off hours I could do what I liked, but never in front of the children.) Well this break was not off hours and so I was sneaking it. Anyway, after I came inside I could not.could not lock the sliding glass door. It needed to be locked so the alarm could be turned on. This day was very rainy/nasty weather. I tried and tried to lock the door all the while trying to think of a good excuse of why I went out there in the first place. I couldn't. Finally about 15 mins later I told God that if He would help me I would quit smoking. No sooner than the words left my mouth the lock slid up. I quit 2 days later. Smoked once more 2 weeks later and haven't touched one since. Interestingly, I still get what alcoholics/drug users call using dreams about smoking. They seem so real. For the most part cigarettes really disgust me, but every once in a while . . .:tongue_smilie:

I voted "tried it, didn't like it". I knew I'd never be a smoker, though. My mom smoked and I couldn't stand it. One night when I was about a senior in high school, some friends and I were at a club. Someone we were with had a pack of cigarettes and we decided to each smoke one. It was as disgusting as I'd imagined, but I smoked the whole thing. I wanted to see if there was any possible way I could ever like it. I wanted to understand what the attraction was. And I wanted to be just the tiniest bit rebellious. I have never, ever tried drugs of any kind though. I kept my rebellion to that one cigarette, getting drunk a few times, and, oh yeah, getting pregnant before I was married. But at least I stayed away from cigarettes (for the most part) and drugs, LOL.:D

I am an ardent anti-smoker. My dad smoked and I hated it. However, in my young, stupid years, while under the influence, I did try smoking. I flirtatiously grabbed a cigarette from a coworker (this was after work) and took a puff. I hated it, but I thought I would make him notice me. That is the one stain on my otherwise perfect anti-smoking platform.

I am a nonsmoker, but I love the smell of a freshly lit cigarette. Every time I smell one, it takes me back to my childhood.

I also didn't drink coffee for the first 40 years of my life (then I discovered that if I put enough french vanilla creamer in it I couldn't taste the coffee), but loved the smell of coffee brewing for the same reason.

I also didn't drink coffee for the first 40 years of my life (then I discovered that if I put enough french vanilla creamer in it I couldn't taste the coffee), but loved the smell of coffee brewing for the same reason.

Me too! I love the smell of coffee, but it tastes nothing like as good as it smells. I just don't get it.

I've never smoked and never will. Never even wanted to try. 3 of my 4 grandparents smoked, and I can remember the headaches and red, sore eyes from spending time with my mom's folks (my dad's dad was not allowed to smoke in the house).

And, truly, I just don't see the point of inhaling smoke. People die from smoke inhalation - why on earth would you do that to yourself on purpose? (Then again, I am very overweight and people die from that too, so I know I'm throwing stones from a glass house over here.)

I was a social smoker until my husband proposed. The first time we went out with friends after we were engaged, no one would give me a cigarette! I found out he told everyone I had agreed to quit:smilielol5:! At the time, I was annoyed, but he told me he wasn't going to marry me, only to watch me die a slow, horrible, self inflicted death. So, I quit:blush:

I love him! Did I mention our 11th :001_wub:anniversary is Saturday?

I smoked. I quit. I don't lecture other people about how they should/need to quit. In my experience it's counter productive. It just gets people ticked off, and then they want a cigarette.

I wanted to post something like this. I like to comsider myself a gracious non-smoker.

Though my father (who smoked through my childhood in spite of my constant badgering to quit) was one of the most obnoxious reformed smokers I have ever seen. It was embarrassing to be in public with him. I love him dearly, and he has grown, but back then he was an ass.

I was a social smoker for a few years in my early/mid-20s. I smoked the most when I lived with a group of guys, all of whom were recovering alcoholics. Suffice to to say the 12 step program doesn't apply to cigarettes.;) Then when I met Hans, he smoked, of course ~ the norm for almost any young European guy. He smoked a lot more than I did, but we both quit cold turkey when I got pregnant.

Still, there are times when I'd gladly take a Marlboro ~ mostly slopeside, after a good day of skiing. A cold beer and a cigarette hits the spot, but I don't resist the urge in deference to my offspring. Other times, though, when I'm out of their space, I go ahead and take a cigarette. I must have gone through an entire pack the night I was at the faux-AC/DC party in Switzerland. I had to get through it somehow, and if I'm trapped in a small space with a bunch of other people smoking, I'd rather just do the dirty deed myself. LOL

I smoked. I quit. I don't lecture other people about how they should/need to quit. In my experience it's counter productive. It just gets people ticked off, and then they want a cigarette.

Yep. When I have people here who smoke ~ like brothers-in-law from Switzerland, for example ~ I just offer up the ashtray (the cool German ashtray once featured on my photo blog.:D) and they smoke outside. Doesn't bother me. Now, if they brought their bong along and smoked what they really prefer to smoke, that'd be more of a problem.;)

Yep. When I have people here who smoke ~ like brothers-in-law from Switzerland, for example ~ I just offer up the ashtray (the cool German ashtray once featured on my photo blog.:D) and they smoke outside. Doesn't bother me. Now, if they brought their bong along and smoked what they really prefer to smoke, that'd be more of a problem.;)

:lol:

This is me too. I smoked on and off in high school and started to be a regular smoker in college. I quit so many times it's ridiculous but am proud to say that I'm coming up on 4 years without one. I still miss it every day. And when I'm really stressed (like now with my family) I'm down right jonesin'. I don't give in though because I know just 1 and I'll fall off that wagon but good!

I was at the county fair with my big cousin when I told him I couldn't wait till I was old enough to smoke. He immediately hauled me off to watch the American Cancer Society film. I was so grossed out by the pictures of smokers' lungs, I never had anymore desire to smoke.

Good thing, too, because I had chronic bronchitus.

social smoker during teen years and early 20's. I inhaled sometimes depending on the substance:D

That was me, except I started even younger (4th grade). Had a bully neighbor who dared me. I also had snobby taste in tobacco, usually smoked South African or European (English Ovals), and even Djarums/cloves. Quitting was great for my wallet!

I still have that old longing when I'm in a club or a bar, but I don't give in. After watching my MIL die of lung cancer, you will never again find me smoking cigarettes.

I was at the county fair with my big cousin when I told him I couldn't wait till I was old enough to smoke. He immediately hauled me off to watch the American Cancer Society film. I was so grossed out by the pictures of smokers' lungs, I never had anymore desire to smoke.

Good thing, too, because I had chronic bronchitus.

:smilielol5::smilielol5:

Where do I get one of those for health class!?!

Dh and I both smoked until I got pg with ds14 (22yo). We came from smoking families and both started smoking regularly as young teens. He will have an occasional cigar, I will have an occasional cigarette if I am in a bar with friends who smoke. Either of these are only likely to occur 1-2x a year.

I threaten my kids with various forms of torture if I catch them smoking.

I don't care if my friends smoke, as almost my entire family are smokers. I do try to encourage them to stop if they are trying to, but otherwise I don't say anything. I have my vices too! (typed as I look at a Coca-cola bottle on the counter and as I sip my morning carmel latte :0) )

Both of my parents were 2 packs a day smokers my whole life. I spent 2-3 months every winter coughing with bronchitis that my mom and I passed back and forth. My teachers would send me to the library because my nonstop coughing was too disruptive to class.

I smoked myself throughout 8th grade. That was my major rebellion year where I was doing everything I shouldn't have. I haven't smoked since.

Once I moved out of home, I quit getting bronchitis every year. I think I've had it 2-3 times in 16 years. I'm extremely sensitive to second hand cigarette smoke. It makes me nauseous almost instantly. My dad's house (my aunt lives with him and smokes indoors) makes me sick so I can't comfortably visit. I get very congested, nauseous, my eyes itch, and the conjunctiva of my eye swells if I stay too long. So, I avoid cigarettes as much as possible and wish they'd just go away.

I smoked from early in high school up until I was a few months pregnant with Austin (so that would be about 8-9 years?). I don't get onto people about quitting smoking, because you have to want to do it within yourself to make it work. My children know I used to smoke, and I hope they never do it.

I started in grade school...I think around 6th grade, through high school and a couple years beyond. I quit once during that time, but spent some time on vaca w/my 'cool' aunt and started again. Then quit sometime after meeting my now hubs who wasn't fond of smoking but really didn't harass me about it. That man helped change a lot in my life ;) I haven't looked back since and I now find cig smoke revolting!

Weird confession time.

I puffed one cigarette once. I was partying with friends in high school and the cops burst in. We ran. Once we got away we shared a cigarette to cover the smell of alcohol on our breath. What were we thinking?!!!!?

I never smoked other than that. My dad was a smoker when I was growing up, and I absolutely hated the smell, especially when we were in the car on long trips. When I was in high school I hated smoking so much that every time dad lit a cigarette in the living room, I would get up and leave the room.

When I was 6yo, my uncle handed me a cigarette. One of those French cigarettes, without a filter, and with a high content of nicotine. My parents were there and didn't object. I coughed for 24 hours and have never looked at a cigarette again.

OT a bit...but this is why I can not *stand the taste of beer. I can't really tolerate the taste of alcohol much at all...unless it is a very fruity wine.

When I was about 4, my parents and I, were at another couples home. They did not have any children, so all there was to drink was water, milk and beer. I have never liked water or milk. So I demanded beer...and threw quite a fit about it...so, my mother filled a small tuperware (think 70's here) cup to the brim with beer, and made me drink the entire cup. I cried and cried...but have never drank it since!

*NOT how I would have handled it...but I have to say it worked!

Whe I came home with an anti-smoking comic book from middle school, my dad took us all (my sister, my Mother, and myself) into the kitchen for our collective "first puff." His instruction was something along the lines of, "Breathe in real deep and then exhale slowly." Guess what? I would like to say I never tried it. I would like to say that I didn't inhale, but just that once yeah. BTW, my dh and I discussed smoking on our first date. Neither one of us intended to even date a smoker, so we were relieved to get that clear from the start. His parents smoked until their drs. orders to stop finally got through to them. My dad smoked off and on, but quit years ago. He never smoked around the family and that is the only time I ever recall a cigarette being lit in our home. I have asthma and can't stand smoke :tongue_smilie:

My grandfather died when I was 10 years old as a result of smoking--combination of lung cancer, emphysema, etc. He was in his early sixties. He lived far away and I had only met him a couple of times. He had been warned for many years that he needed to quit, but only did in the last few weeks before his death. I remember very strongly how I was feeling on the plane as we flew to the funeral: That he had been so uncaring of others as to choose smoking over life with his family.

As an adult I realize that there are a myriad of variables that contribute to any addiction, but whenever I see an adult who has children smoking, I feel that same sense of anger and abandonment. Funnily enough, all three of my other grandparents (non-smokers) are still living well into their 90s.

Needless to say, I've never been tempted to smoke.

I started smoking when I was 12 b/c all my friends did it. I quit when I was 27 and pregnant with my first child. I tried for years to quit but could not handle the emotional and behavioral changes that it caused until I had someone other than myself to do it for.

ETA: 6 years later, I still crave them if I am stressed or tired enough.

I had to say I tried it because I'm not going to lie. My parents both smoked and a couple of times I tried to light up cigarette butts from the ashtray when I was home alone. That, plus one time when I smoked most of a whole cigarette with one of my girlfriends while hiding out in the bathroom with the fan on, was my attempt at smoking. It was simply AWFUL, DISGUSTING -- SICKENNING...and I can still taste the foul flavor and smell of burning tobacco in my mouth and up my nose. I was twelve at the time and trying so hard to be a rebellious child, but for the life of me I could not pull it off.

I just figured that if it tastes and smells so nasty, it wouldn't be worth the trouble. I'm so glad, so VERY glad that I didn't go any further than I did. My elderly mother, bless her soul, lives with me now and suffers from Emphysema.

Blessings,

Lucinda

I'm the lone "smoker and proud of it" choice. I am *not* proud of it, at all, but am not making it my New Years resolution, so it was the closest fit.

I don't smoke indoors, around the kids, or in the car. It was easy-peasy to quit when pregnant with my oldest, she was surprise (although in retrospect we ought not have been *too* surprised!) but with my youngest I quit well before getting pregnant. And wanted to smoke literally as soon as she came out.

It is so,so,so,so hard to quit. I have quit, but always restarted, DH is military and his deployments are my prime stressor.

I do my best to negate my other health risks: I am not the least bit overweight, in great shape, eat healthy non processed foods for the msot part. Oddly enough, I am almost never sick. Not since I was in middle school, except for a few stomach upsets. No coughing or bronchitis, which makes me wonder if the crud is just building up, not getting coughed out. (I don't wonder too much, as I try nto think about it of course!)

Despite my nasty habit, I am a nice person, kind to animals, and a good mother. Well, the nice person may be an exaggeration. :tongue_smilie:But I am not a monster. None of my mommy-friends (gymnastics, hs'ers, etc) know I smoke. The only ones who do are my long-time, trusted friends, and I value their non-judgemental friendship so, so highly. They will help and support when I *do* quit, and don't look down on me for smoking.

I tell my kids that if I can't be a good example, I'll have to be a horrible warning. DON'T EVER START! Its almost impossible to quit, at least for me. Thank goodness I discovered cigarettes and not, say, crack- I have never been tempted to try any drugs due to my addiction to cigarettes. I'd be a crack ho' fo' sho'.

Thank goodness I discovered cigarettes and not, say, crack- I have never been tempted to try any drugs due to my addiction to cigarettes. I'd be a crack ho' fo' sho'.

:smilielol5::lol:

I know what you mean. I was insanely addicted to cigs. My current drug of choice is obsessive quantities of caffeine.

I'm between reformed smoker and social smoker. I smoked for years, always quitting right before pregnancy and while nursing. But the moment baby was weaned I had a stupid cig in my mouth. I loved it. When the last baby came along, I knew I had to quit for good. So I never started up again after she quit nursing. I never, never smoked in the house, car, or near my kids.

Right now I occasionally indulge if around other smokers (which is extremely rare). I guess I'm still somewhat rebellious. And besides, smokers usually have better alcohol;).

When I was 6yo, my uncle handed me a cigarette. One of those French cigarettes, without a filter, and with a high content of nicotine. My parents were there and didn't object. I coughed for 24 hours and have never looked at a cigarette again.

When I was 5 or 6, my grandma let me try one of her cigarettes. I think it was the best preventative measure I could have ever had. I suggested to some folks at church that they do this for my ds when he was 5-6, but no one ever took me seriously. I tried smoking when I was a teen, but never liked it.