Menu

Sensitive topic - DO NOT QUOTE

gardenmom5

So it's not just the last two weeks and this new med, but a pattern (both of dependency and controlling/potentially abusive relationship issues) that have been present for months, and he's being released from the hospital, still on these frankly near-psychosis inducing meds, tomorrow. That's a very different picture. As far as I can tell, you're doing the right things 

• Like 7

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is he being released still on this med combo that is contraindicated and extremely powerful? If it's that crazy of a combo, it doesn't seem like he would be sent home with them or that he would be able to get it filled by an outpatient pharmacy.

2 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

I really hope it wakes him up.

I hope he has doctors and family around to help him get off all dangerous medications and support him through withdrawal and that he recovers from his injury and returns to whoever he was before this all happened to him, assuming that was a fairly decent person (I can't say the guns give me any warm fuzzies about him, but I know otherwise nice people who love their *#@$ guns, so...)

This has to be awful for your dd and her little ones. Poor kiddos. Hopefully there will be no legal repercussions from all this (unless a doctor or pharmacist committed any wrongdoing worthy of such) and things can get sorted out to a good arrangement.

• Like 4

He's being released to home.  On the dangerous cocktail. 

He's told his drs his pharmacist wife is crazy and not to talk to her.

He likely will go home with drugs.  The protocol to wean off them takes weeks. 

He's pushing away every one willingly and able to help him.  The friend bringing him home tomorrow expects their friendship to end as soon as he realizes he's on dd's side.

I had seen signs of depression last summer. But he's smart,  kind, gifted at managing people.  He's become a different person. The angle of down slope is increasing.

• Sad 13

11 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

He's being released to home.  On the dangerous cocktail. 

What about contacting the hospital ombudsman? They won't be able to tell her anything about her dh's care, but she should be able to make a report and then they can follow up on if there is a problem there with the medications prescribed.

• Like 3

If the guns are communal property, she might be okay in removing them, but I'm assuming since this ruling, no state court can. I don't know the status pending appeal, but the ruling says it is unconstitutional to take guns from people with protective orders against them for domestic violence.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/02/02/politics/domestic-violence-guns-fifth-circuit/index.html

• Sad 4

Just now, livetoread said:

If the guns are communal property, she might be okay in removing them, but I'm assuming since this ruling, no state court can. I don't know the status pending appeal, but the ruling says it is unconstitutional to take guns from people with protective orders against them for domestic violence.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/02/02/politics/domestic-violence-guns-fifth-circuit/index.html

This, thankfully, applies only to the fifth circuit at this time but that includes TX, LA, and MS.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KSera said:

What about contacting the hospital ombudsman? They won't be able to tell her anything about her dh's care, but she should be able to make a report and then they can follow up on if there is a problem there with the medications prescribed.

Tried going through directors.  Didn't go well.

They moved him to a room that she isn't allowed to know.

I've at least two people to let us know his progress on coming home tomorrow. I absolutely cannot be here.  But can go to the neighbor across the street.   I don't think he'd care because I'm not in the house.  Dd wants to be long gone before he gets here. 

• Sad 4

4 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

Tried going through directors.  Didn't go well.

They moved him to a room that she isn't allowed to know.

I've at least two people to let us know his progress on coming home tomorrow. I absolutely cannot be here.  But can go to the neighbor across the street.   I don't think he'd care because I'm not in the house.  Dd wants to be long gone before he gets here. 

I feel so awful for your family and hope you can see them safely away.

• Like 1

I finally had A chance to actually talk to dd. (We've been too busy running different directions. )

The two drugs are NOT suppo⁷sed to be given at the same time because they magnify each other.  Even an hour apart reduces the effects. Though it's still considered a no-no in the pharmacy world. 

The rehab floor started giving them at the same time.  It explains how it affected him so quickly and so badly. 

ETA- he's coming home with a two week supply.  His regular dr made him sign a pain contract. It limits what he can get, and he's cut off if he violates it.  He will not be able to legally get more of what  the surgeon gave him.  I hope it's a start in the right direction. 

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 7

If it helps give some hope, the medication combination a relative was on after a serious surgery years ago caused paranoia and crazy thoughts/personality change. It was also worse about 2 weeks after the surgery, which seems in line with what you are seeing. I think a lot of it was the lack of good sleep - narcotics can interfere with sleep quality and quantity in some people (make you feel tired, but not actually able to sleep well or at all), and lack of sleep is a known cause of psychosis. At first we just thought it was stress/exhaustion/pain causing personality changes, but then this person started thinking the "doctors were lying to her" and "She was dying and they just wouldn't tell her" and all sorts of other crazy stuff. Not violent, but still a total 180 personality shift and as if an alien had taken over this person's body. As the meds were reduced (we started tapering as soon as realized the issue) the person's normal personality returned. It was not permanent. 

Now, if the person likes the high, and wants to stay on the meds that is a different issue. I actually do LOVE LOVE LOVE the feeling I get from vicodin. (not oxy or percocet or codeine, just hydrocodone based meds). But I'm careful when I take it, only a single dose a day at bedtime, or maybe twice a day for a day or two if really bad pain, because I know this. If the person is under a ton of stress for other reasons (job/money stress, the injury, etc) that would be harder to resist - and psychiatric meds to help with the anxiety/depression would be needed to help avoid the self medication of anxiety with narcotics. 

It also sounds like this person may need to go on one of the narcotic treatment medications, like methadone/suboxone/etc. Getting off narcotics is VERY hard, physically, and tends to cause actual pain and depresson and anxiety. 

• Like 11

30 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

I think a lot of it was the lack of good sleep - narcotics can interfere with sleep quality and quantity in some people (make you feel tired, but not actually able to sleep well or at all), and lack of sleep is a known cause of psychosis.

Being in the ICU, or (probably) even just in the hospital for a length of time can also hugely disrupt sleep. ICU psychosis is widely recognized.

Good luck, @gardenmom5. This is a bad situation all around.

• Like 8

36 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

If it helps give some hope, the medication combination a relative was on after a serious surgery years ago caused paranoia and crazy thoughts/personality change. It was also worse about 2 weeks after the surgery,

2dd is a pharmD.  The drugs he's on, especially in this combination,  are known to be highly addictive. 

Dd talked to her hospital pharmD friends to see if theirs used it.  None of them,  it's considered too dangerous. 

We hope he'll get off them, she loves her husband,  but are preparing for the worst 

ETA, withdrawal if he doesn't get them is very likely. 

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Sad 6

Thinking of you guys today - I hope everything goes smoothly and everyone stays safe. Does he have any idea his house will be empty when he returns? Have he and your DD been talking at all? Wondering if he'll hit the roof?

Edited by AmandaVT
  • Like 2

The situation sounds very complicated, and I am sure it is even more complicated than what the brief information here suggests.  Overall, I am not one who would jump to divorce.  But, if I had major concerns about immediate safety, I would have the children leave and return with me to my home state if at all financially feasible.  This could be done simply as a situation where daughter really needs all of the extra help with 2 babies at this point (not stating that it is leading to divroce) and is coming for a visit.  Her husband is probably not in a situation where he can easily travel long distances, so the immediate safety issue would be dealt with.  This would allow for some thinking about the situation in the absence of immediate threat and fear.  In the meantime, I would be checking with attorneys regarding how long she would need to be in your state to file for divroce in your state if things do come to that and to a attorney in the state where she presently is to see what would happen if he files for divorce while she is out of state, visiting her parents, with the kids.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Pawz4me said:

Being in the ICU, or (probably) even just in the hospital for a length of time can also hugely disrupt sleep. ICU psychosis is widely recognized.

Good luck, @gardenmom5. This is a bad situation all around.

Yes, in the zoom classes I've been taking for my mom's lung transplant ICU psychosis and hospital psychosis were brought up and discussed. Also anxiety - often severe - and depression, and that family members need to alert the staff as they may not realize what is happening. And that there are medications that can be adjusted/changed/added to help with this. 

• Like 7

I’m just going to throw this out there to consider as an option. Pain can be treated using pemf (pulsed electromagnetic fields) as well. I have used this myself quite a few times for over 10 years. It is great and has no bad side effects. It can be used for severe, chronic pain and is capable of healing the issues causing the pain.

For acute pain, I have found a few short sessions do the trick, whereas for more chronic pain, it can take a twice daily session up to two months to kick in. Or it might work in days. Just depends how someone’s body responds.

The MD who has been studying and using it for years here in the US is Bill Pawluk. He has a website and is an excellent resource.

https://www.drpawluk.com/?s=Back+pain

He is friends with the bioengineer who NASA has used to design their pemf devices for astronauts which I believe are used mainly to help maintain muscle, bones, etc. This is his forum where you can ask him any questions, etc. if you’re interested.

https://forum.fluxhealth.co/t/m1-setting-for-back-pain/2424

They are both very nice, down to earth guys and if you wanted to try pemf, they can answer your questions.

eta: Hope everything goes smoothly for all of you today and in the next few weeks.

Edited by BeachGal
  • Like 1

Update.

We're currently safe.  He had someone else bring him home.

10 minutes we would have been gone.

He went after the car with a huge shovel.   The window needs to be replaced. 

She took out $10k yesterday.  He changed all their passwords.  Too much to do in a short time.  She did get passports and birth certificates. 

I have 3 credit cards with me, so I'll be paying for stuff until she gets a new card.

She's turned off her phone. We're getting a new one.  

• Sad 46

So glad you are safe.  I am sorry to hear that the situation has deteriorated into this.  I am shocked that this soon after major back surgery that he had the strength and mobility to handle a large shovel in a manner to do so much damage; that seems to point to a severe level of rage.  It is so good that you have been nearby to help your daughter and grandkids.

• Like 11

That's terrifying, @gardenmom5. I'm thinking of you all and praying for you. I hope you can get some solid protections in place quickly. Is her workplace such that she can transfer to another location (like where you live)? I mean, I know pharmacists are probably in demand pretty much everywhere, but I mean her particular company or hospital system.

• Like 2

Yes, safety first, then police report.

Record keeping (especially registering what is happening with outside authorities) is going to matter a lot, even though it seems like a pointless task when you are busy doing what is needed for safety. As the support person, you are just that one step removed from being the person whose life is falling apart that you can try to keep an eye on the journal of events (dates, times, details, witnesses) and necessities like making police reports.

• Like 15

1 hour ago, WildflowerMom said:

Were the police called?

Yes

He called first to report someone as stealing his car.

I yelled so the 911 operator would hear me that it was his wife and she's on the title

We called 911 while escaping and drove to the closest police station. 

We have names and numbers 

• Like 22

2 hours ago, Harriet Vane said:

I'm so sorry! How awful!!!

I hope you got a police report asap. And as much visual evidence and documentation as possible. Praying for safety. 

Dash cam of him chasing us with a shovel and a 6 " gash in her windscreen.   .

We haven't looked at  the video   but it has to be loaded manually so he can't do anything remotely.

Edited by Rosie_0801
Removing identifying info
  • Like 1
  • Sad 21

3 minutes ago, Spryte said:

Oh my goodness, so glad you all are ok. Are the kids ok? DD was driving? So scary!

I was thinking an involuntary hold, too, mental health. They will try to straighten out his meds and get him on something to stabilize him.

It would have to be involuntary, at another hospital. 

• Like 5