Menu

Cannoli

klmama

We make our own shells. I know many people who don’t care for cannolis but love ours. The kits (and even bakery bought ones) have thick heavy shells. Ours are thinner and lighter and fabulous, if I do say so myself. Yes, they are quite a chore to make. We generally only do them at Christmas time and make tons. But sooo worth the effort. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

Costco has a kit 😬 Its good. It’s a problem. If you’re lucky your local baker will have them. I’ve also seen them at Wegmans. For birthdays, my kids always request a cake that has a cannoli filling. 

Oh, this is sooooooo good.  Highly recommend to get a cake made with this!   10/10

2 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

Sometimes I make the filling and serve it like a dip with pizzelle. It satisfies the craving without dealing with keeping the shells crispy. 

Oh, this is a great idea!!  I'm gluten free and haven't been able to find gluten free cannoli -- but this is something that I think I can find.  Thank you. :)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

Sometimes I make the filling and serve it like a dip with pizzelle. It satisfies the craving without dealing with keeping the shells crispy. 

I adore pizzelle--so Mrs Spy Car gave me a gift of pizzelle press years ago--and if I shape freshly made pizzelle around a dowel-like object while they are still warm, they harden into a very acceptable substitute for deep-fried cannoli shells.

Far from an original idea on my part. A very popular substitution.

So much less hassle than "real" cannoli shells. I like them just as much.

Bill (who will at times "cheat" tradition)

ETA: adding internet picture:

Chocolate-Cannoli_EXPS_TOHCA23_41757_P2_

Edited by Spy Car
  • Like 2

Cannoli filling is one of my favorite things! I worked at a bakery in my younger years, and there was always a huge mixing bowl full of cannoli filling in the walk-in fridge. Sometimes I'd fill a small paper coffee cup with the filling and munch away. They should always be filled fresh! I love the chocolate dipped shells, but as long as they are crispy I'll take either one. Ok, now I want a cannoli.☺️

• Like 1

Yum!!

As a kid I found my first bite of cannoli surprising because, to me, they look way sweeter than they actually are.  

Eta: They are perfect the way they are!  I was just surprised *as a small child* 

We are spoiled because we have an awesome Italian bakery nearby!

Edited by happi duck

32 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

They don’t have to be, though. The one I had from the food truck this weekend was Euro-level sweet….not savory, but not anything an American would call sweet. 

I had a typo I think.  I was trying to say that they are *not* super sweet.

As a kid I expected frosting sweet so that first bite was a surprise.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Spy Car said:

I adore pizzelle--so Mrs Spy Car gave me a gift of pizzelle press years ago--and if I shape freshly made pizzelle around a dowel-like object while they are still warm, they harden into a very acceptable substitute for deep-fried cannoli shells.

Far from an original idea on my part. A very popular substitution.

So much less hassle than "real" cannoli shells. I like them just as much.

Bill (who will at times "cheat" tradition)

ETA: adding internet picture:

Chocolate-Cannoli_EXPS_TOHCA23_41757_P2_

I have a pizzelle press that I’ve never used and keep forgetting I own. 🤣

20 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

I have a pizzelle press that I’ve never used and keep forgetting I own. 🤣

Here is my feeling about using pizzelle as cannoli shells.

If you compare them to the very best cannoli, fresh and made by a master, with the "bubbles" around the exterior and cooked just right. Then "real" cannoli shells win. No contest. Apex.

But compared with commercial ones that are not made by gods, the race tightens. I'd take a fresh pizzelle cannoli over a cannoli shell that had been sitting for awhile prior to being stuffed. And is it was "stuffed" for too long, not so good either.

And compared to ones fried at home (leaving out the huge hassle and unless one is a "master") pizzelle wins. Unless one is really good or really lucky. And then the amount of time and the hassle of deep-frying that's avoided, and no contest. Makes it so easy. 

You know how well they work as "dips." Just fold then over a broomstick or something like that. They harden quickly.

I know you will approve.

I still like to add anise to the pizzelle (because that's my favorite part), so my "cannoli" are a bit of a hybrid.

I'm making a note to self to make some pizzelle cannoli when my son comes home on Spring break. 

Bill

• Like 1

So I started daydreaming about Cannoli--only it is now the beginning of "nighttime"--anyway "daydreaming" about Cannoli and I'm one of those people who likes his "sweets" to be "Euro-sweet" or less.

I'm mentally imagining the taste of a perfect cannoli in my mind, and it is planted there--almost like I'm actually tasting it--when all of a sudden the taste of sour cherries, as in Greek sour cherry preserves comes into my mind from out of nowhere, and it is so pleasurable that the saliva flows.

That doesn't happen very often.

I think I better run with that idea :tongue:

Bill

Edited by Spy Car
Because preserves and "jam" are not the same thing, and I know that

5 minutes ago, Junie said:

So something like this might work for me?

Except you could not fold those, as they have "hardened" and would crack if you tried to bend them.

You could use the cannoli filling as a "smear," or use them for a "dip" as @KungFuPanda does, then you would be all the essentials, in a slightly different form.

I could see pizzelle cannoli "smears" become a thing. Why not?

Bill

• Like 1