Menu

Are we talking about this impending cold weather?

KungFuPanda

My little dogs were apparently absent from class the day they were taught that they're not supposed to like cold weather. Last I checked it was 21 here with a wind chill of 5 (for comparison, our average low this time of year is 32). They're all outside either happily roaming around (the older two) or doing laps-around-the-yard-zoomies (the puppy).

It makes me wonder how uncomfortable they are in our hot, humid summers.

• Like 1
  • Haha 10

We're ok here, with some power flickers last night but no permanent power losses. 

Got the woodstove going and it's really really nice since our HVAC needs work.

TVA is calling for rolling blackouts in Tennessee, so I dont' know how that will affect us.

It is in fact, affecting my dh since he works for the water department and they have to figure out how to keep water/wastewater operational until they have consistent power. But they got it. He works with good guys. It;s just a bunch of management and ensuring that the generators are in the right places.

Edited by fairfarmhand
  • Like 7

Power flickering here. The wind speeds are just epic. I figure it is is only a matter of time before power is out. We can't get to mother in law, the ice is awful, and the winds are unworthy of driving except for the utterly insane, Mad Max kind of people. But, she had a fireplace, and we loaded four days of wood inside, all of it small enough logs to her to handle. She is actually almost looking forward to it because she has two oil lamps she loves to use and enjoys a rip roaring fire. Her cell phone is charged and we left a bunch of fully charged portable batteries with her so she can keep it that way. Christmas music is a click away on her tablet courtesy of our eldest son who was there last Monday and wanted to make sure she was set up well for the storm. She has lots of fruit, dried fruits, nuts, peanut butter and bread, bottled water. She will should be fine.

My mom has propane stove that runs without electricity so she can keep her living room and half bath toasty. But, if we went a long time without power, we would put on the cleated boots, drag the sled down there (she can't walk out in this at all), and haul her the two blocks home here. We have the generator ready. House is currently holding at 73° because the wood boiler is doing a great job.

Hugs to everyone without power or soon facing it.

• Like 3
  • Sad 3

We're warming up here in the middle of the country. We're up to -7/-35. Everything was a bit of a non event for those of us who don't have to work outside in it. Feeling awful for USPS, UPS, etc.

But for those who now want to be amused:nvmd. Watched it & it was really just snarky and not funny. 

Edited by BlsdMama

We got really lucky in the Baltimore- DC area. The precipitation played through before the temperature dropped so we avoided the snow. We still have to watch for ice and it’s getting colder and windier. I am blessed to live in a town with buried power lines. I am perpetually grateful for this. 

I almost forgot to winterize my outdoor faucets so I was out there in my PJs doing that this morning before it dropped to freezing. 

Stay warm Everyone!  

This is our current situation. It’s cold but we really cannot complain. 

F34708C6-C821-4EE1-9826-BE2D10266709.png

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Pawz4me said:

My little dogs were apparently absent from class the day they were taught that they're not supposed to like cold weather. Last I checked it was 21 here with a wind chill of 5 (for comparison, our average low this time of year is 32). They're all outside either happily roaming around (the older two) or doing laps-around-the-yard-zoomies (the puppy).

It makes me wonder how uncomfortable they are in our hot, humid summers.

They might have been playing hooky with my dog and my 12 year old who have disappeared to the park.  Thank goodness they have each other.  

• Like 3

Powers out, generator is running. Espresso Baileys and warm almond milk drink in hand. 🙂 

Weirdly we don’t need to run the pellet stove because it’s so warm. 

As soon as the power went out I threw a small package of chicken tenders in the freezer (small freezer above the fridge, not the chest freezer). Is there any chance it will survive, and if so how long would be safe? I’d rather lose the $7 in sunk chicken cost than risk food poisoning, but don’t want to toss it if I don’t have to. 

32 minutes ago, MEmama said:

Powers out, generator is running. Espresso Baileys and warm almond milk drink in hand. 🙂 

As soon as the power went out I threw a small package of chicken tenders in the freezer (small freezer above the fridge, not the chest freezer). Is there any chance it will survive, and if so how long would be safe? I’d rather lose the $7 in sunk chicken cost than risk food poisoning, but don’t want to toss it if I don’t have to. 

We bought freezer thermometers from Amazon ($25ish) for this type of situation. Odds are you will be ok if you aren’t down long, but as cold as it is, would tossing it outside work? 

Our freezers normally range from -10 to 15F. Our fridge sits at 37 most of the time.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, fairfarmhand said:

We're ok here, with some power flickers last night but no permanent power losses. 

TVA is calling for rolling blackouts in Tennessee, so I dont' know how that will affect us.

It is in fact, affecting my dh since he works for the water department and they have to figure out how to keep water/wastewater operational until they have consistent power. But they got it. He works with good guys. It;s just a bunch of management and ensuring that the generators are in the right places.

I am thankful for people like your dh, who help keep things running! 

NES posted about the rolling blackouts, but our power was only out for about 15-20 mins mid-morning.

Wood fire is burning nicely. House is comfy at 68, with gas heat. 

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

We bought freezer thermometers from Amazon ($25ish) for this type of situation. Odds are you will be ok if you aren’t down long, but as cold as it is, would tossing it outside work? 

Our freezers normally range from -10 to 15F. Our fridge sits at 37 most of the time.

Normally it would be plenty cold out, but weirdly it’s 48 degrees right now (dropping to 15 overnight so in the morning that’ll be a good option. I keep a cooler in the enclosed but uninsulated 3 season porch for this purpose).

A freezer thermometer is a good idea. I’ll look into those for the future.

Edited by MEmama
Temperature update

2 hours ago, MEmama said:

Does a pellet stove work without electricity? We need an insert for our fireplace and I’m having so much trouble choosing between wood, pellet, and gas. 

Just now, Indigo Blue said:

Do you have another source of heat? 

For us: dh is building a fire in the fireplace. We have a generator but we can only run a couple things on it. Dh turned it off for now. 

For the chickens: no. I literally bought a new heat bulb yesterday because of the forecast but now it makes no difference. They are shut in their coop but it’s probably twenty degrees in there. 

• Sad 10

The weather here is currently -1 F and the wind is blowing like crazy. Thankfully we had snow and not freezing rain. If we'd had freezing rain, I'd be worried about our trees.

We had three kids over for a birthday party today because this delayed peoples' travels.

I'm hoping we'll make it to my parents' house in time for Christmas, but I'm not holding my breath.

• Like 1

It’s cold here but not all that bad, although I do not these days own the proper clothing to spend any extended time at 5 degrees with a windchill of -8.  Obama the cat keeps wanting to go outside, and I feel badly for letting him go out, but I figure as long as people are home and awake to let him back in that it’s okay?  I hope so.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, math teacher said:

We have power but no water. i cant cook or clean. If I had known dh wouldnt remember to leave the faucets running, I wouldnt have gone to visit parents. Ds is driving home right now,and I cant prepare. Sorry to be so grouchy. At least I have heat.

k

I hope your water gets fixed soon.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Quill said:

For us: dh is building a fire in the fireplace. We have a generator but we can only run a couple things on it. Dh turned it off for now. 

For the chickens: no. I literally bought a new heat bulb yesterday because of the forecast but now it makes no difference. They are shut in their coop but it’s probably twenty degrees in there. 

Do you have any extra straw for them?  And any extra I don’t care blankets?  That can help them keep warm.  The Mennonite I am friends with wraps her coop in moving blankets  and adds extra straw when the power goes out during winter.  Her chickens stay nice and warm.  

• Like 5

9 hours ago, fairfarmhand said:

This is interesting about TVA. Historically TVA's electricity rates were so cheap that there was never a demand for another fuel source. Every house I've lived in under TVA had heat pumps. I think nowadays there is more access to natural gas, but from what you are saying there must still be a lot of people with heat pumps! Yikes. Those strips will be working overtime! @TravelingChris is Huntsville affected by this?

Edited by popmom

8 minutes ago, popmom said:

This is interesting about TVA. Historically TVA's electricity rates were so cheap that there was never a demand for another fuel source. Every house I've lived in under TVA had heat pumps. I think nowadays there is more access to natural gas, but from what you are saying there must still be a lot of people with heat pumps! Yikes. Those strips will be working overtime! @TravelingChris is Huntsville affected by this?

There are still tons of people with heat pumps. We have one. Currently it’s assisted by our wood stove. So it’s just fine. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

Does a pellet stove work without electricity? We need an insert for our fireplace and I’m having so much trouble choosing between wood, pellet, and gas. 

We built this this year. It’s wood. It has a blower to circulate the heat but will still work if power goes out.

CC527B26-924C-44F6-B2CD-5C3F88BD610D.jpeg

• Like 9

10 minutes ago, popmom said:

TVA here, but no-how would I live in middle TN with only a heat pump. Btdt, froze all winter for the first three years of my marriage. Nope, nope, nope. Gotta have hot heat! I ❤️ our natural gas furnace! Still needs power to make the fans work, of course.  

• Like 2

I’ll add a pet pic. This is dd’s “son”, Phil—named after Phil Collins. She has been trying to get him to wear a jacket, but he’s not having it. He does NOT enjoy the cold. He wishes he could move to Mexico where it’s warm all the time. 

We think Phil rests too close to the fire. How do his watery eyes not dry out? Phil believes he is not close ENOUGH to the fire. (He was on the MARBLE at one point, and we made him move back) ETA: I have no idea what is stuck to his rear lol.

2315EE39-F576-459D-ADB1-95B34838D581.jpeg

D0E81BD4-9355-4220-AE14-AC961EC831F1.jpeg

Edited by popmom
  • Like 3
  • Haha 9

51 minutes ago, ScoutTN said:

TVA here, but no-how would I live in middle TN with only a heat pump. Btdt, froze all winter for the first three years of my marriage. Nope, nope, nope. Gotta have hot heat! I ❤️ our natural gas furnace! Still needs power to make the fans work, of course.  

Same! I love my furnace!

ETA: our natural gas provider just sent out an email asking everyone to conserve to help prevent supply interruptions. 

Edited by popmom

Another one. On the left is Winnie , my baby who goes has to go for a car ride every day. And Phoebe, another dd’s daughter. She’s a Cardigan pup—in her obnoxious teenager stage of puppyhood. She has dug up my strawberry beds TWICE. I decided to leave it since now all the plants are buried. Phoebe says, “I was just mulching dems to protect dems from de cold!”

They had been snuggled up w dh in the bed until I distracted them with my camera. 😉

7BAEE01A-8E78-40B3-B572-531CE66C04C6.jpeg

Edited by popmom
  • Like 9

I'd take a picture of our dog if she weren't completely covered up by blankets. Every room in our house is warm except our bedroom ( only room that doesn't have an air vent to give us heat from our geothermal system.) It has baseboard heat that I accidentally turned off this morning and didn't turn it back on until 6pm, which was already too cold for the baseboard to warm the room back up.

So dh, the dog, and I are bundled up keeping each other warm. I may sleep downstairs if I get to cold

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, hjffkj said:

I'd take a picture of our dog if she weren't completely covered up by blankets. Every room in our house is warm except our bedroom ( only room that doesn't have an air vent to give us heat from our geothermal system.) It has baseboard heat that I accidentally turned off this morning and didn't turn it back on until 6pm, which was already too cold for the baseboard to warm the room back up.

So dh, the dog, and I are bundled up keeping each other warm. I may sleep downstairs if I get to cold

when she comes out, send us a pic. 🙂

Winnie sleeps under the covers up against my legs. 🙂 We have vents in our bedroom, but it's still the coldest room in the house.

6 minutes ago, popmom said:

when she comes out, send us a pic. 🙂

Winnie sleeps under the covers up against my legs. 🙂 We have vents in our bedroom, but it's still the coldest room in the house.

It has been a few years since Daisy has been able to get up on our bed to keep my legs warm. She's 15 now and sleeps on her bed on the floor usually. Tonight she decided to take over a cover that my son put on the floor for her instead of her bed.

She poked her head out when I went to make sure she was warm enough.

PXL_20221224_045551152.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

On a more serious note the weather service has extended our hard freeze warning. We won't get above freezing until mid morning on Monday. That's concerning--especially considering how far south the warning extends. Plumbers will be very busy next week. I am getting concerned about dd's trailer.

I'm so grateful we don't have travel issues on top of this like so many of you guys to our north. That is so stressful. 

Edited by popmom
  • Sad 2

11 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

No, that’s the downfall. We bought a small generator for the primary purpose of running the stove for heat security (though it sure is nice to have light and Wi-Fi when the powers out too). Pellet stoves are so easy and clean to run though, it’s a small trade off. Ours heats the entire house well enough.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

We went with wood because, for us, in our area, we don’t ever have to worry about any sort of supply chain issue. We can stockpile outside, everyone’s brother sells wood, and we border a forest.   
Ours is freestanding, but an insert that sticks out enough can still hold heat powered fans for circulation.

• Like 3