Menu

2023 Travel Plans?

mommyoffive

If it all comes together, I am going kayaking at the end of May with Mark's cousin, E in Colorado where she lives. We have become quite close, and I am super excited about it. But she is a serious kayaker, and I am a beginner. Due to a hole lot of stuff working against me this year, I only got to kayak three times, and three miles was the most in one setting. So I do feel out of shape for it, and do not want to hold her back. Therefore, I am still thinking about the wisdom of going. For purely selfish reasons, it would feed my soul to do it. I need to have an honest discussion with her about what I am capable of, give her an easy out, and then see if she still wants me to come or not.

I will be in Alabama in March, and taking my grandsons on some field trips.

In June, we have our 35th anniversary and should the stars align on our behalf, we will be road tripping out to Glacier National Park to see the glaciers before they are gone, and will be hauling our tandem kayak and doing some easy water trips. Neither of us are in the mood to do anything super strenuous over our anniversary, just relax. We are looking at a small lot house on the river in a nearby town to rent. Much as I would love to NOT cook on vacation, it just isn't feasible to do good food at current restaurant prices and manage the wheat allergy as well. This place has a really nice gas grill, and Mark likes grilling out, so I think if we take the steel shishkabob skewers, and my grilling basket for vegetables, he will help me out a lot on the food front.

Then in July we are headed to Piscah National Forest area in North Carolina with our nephew and his wife. We have shared the expense of a really nice log house in the mountains. We will again be kayaking, but also will be doing some historical tours as well as quilting. My niece quilts, so we are both bringing our machines and supplies. The guys like to fish together so they are bringing their gear and will do that when we are quilting.

Memorial Weekend, Independence Day weekend, the 2nd weekend of August, and the first non-rainy weekend of September will be spent on Lake Huron in the sailboat. The grandsons will be here for the Independence Day sail, and then I will be back in Alabama in October to help Dd host this kids' Halloween party.

And in all of this crazy, if my sister and brother in law come home from France in August, we will not only take them sailing, but I will probably have a short camping trial with them as well.

Thankfully, I completely adore traveling, kayaking, sailing, and camping or otherwise I would be exhausted just thinking about it.

• Like 10

We're starting the year off at the beach in January.  Then possibly driving cross country to help move Navy kid home😁.  Our third trip will be to New England for my moms Memorial service and considering renting a cabin, although off season, in Maine or Vermont for a few extra days.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, kokotg said:

Newfoundland in summer. Not exactly tropical 🙂 Oh, and we might visit my college kid in Saint Paul for spring break. ALSO not tropical! I live in Georgia, so I look for the opposite of tropical come summer.

Are you guys doing a road trip in your RV in Newfoundland?

1 hour ago, kokotg said:

Newfoundland in summer. Not exactly tropical 🙂 Oh, and we might visit my college kid in Saint Paul for spring break. ALSO not tropical! I live in Georgia, so I look for the opposite of tropical come summer.

Oh my there was a little heat wave that went through St. John's last summer and I thought we would melt. We love Newfoundland. 

• Like 1

I just *today* booked my ride on the Jacobite Train in the UK next May. (The train and route depicted in the Harry Potter movies.) I am ridiculously excited about it; it is my first firm booking for dd and my trip to England and Scotland next spring. 🙂

• Like 15

21 minutes ago, Ottakee said:

@Faith-manor GO KAYAKING.   If possible, hit the gym or do some workouts at home to build your endurance and strength but GO.

I am heading to Utah for a 5 day hiking trip on March and then Cancun in April.   

I want to, I really do. But, we don't have gyms near here in my rural county. The only workout I can come up with is riding the exercise bike, WiFit yoga, and whatever calisthenics I do in my living room! Without a rowing machine, I don't know how to build up the shoulder, arm, and back muscles needed to be able to do the really long paddles she is capable of. She is such a fit person, and I am a desk job music teacher trying to overcome not working out enough when I was younger. But I am trying! I can't afford to buy a rowing machine either, and have no where to put one. Still, I will what I can do to make it possible. I am hoping she doesn't mind doing shorter paddles and wants me to come. We have so much in common, and we always laugh and have a good time when we are together. My heart of hearts really wants to go.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Faith-manor said:

If it all comes together, I am going kayaking at the end of May with Mark's cousin, E in Colorado where she lives. We have become quite close, and I am super excited about it. But she is a serious kayaker, and I am a beginner. Due to a hole lot of stuff working against me this year, I only got to kayak three times, and three miles was the most in one setting. So I do feel out of shape for it, and do not want to hold her back. Therefore, I am still thinking about the wisdom of going. For purely selfish reasons, it would feed my soul to do it. I need to have an honest discussion with her about what I am capable of, give her an easy out, and then see if she still wants me to come or not.

I will be in Alabama in March, and taking my grandsons on some field trips.

In June, we have our 35th anniversary and should the stars align on our behalf, we will be road tripping out to Glacier National Park to see the glaciers before they are gone, and will be hauling our tandem kayak and doing some easy water trips. Neither of us are in the mood to do anything super strenuous over our anniversary, just relax. We are looking at a small lot house on the river in a nearby town to rent. Much as I would love to NOT cook on vacation, it just isn't feasible to do good food at current restaurant prices and manage the wheat allergy as well. This place has a really nice gas grill, and Mark likes grilling out, so I think if we take the steel shishkabob skewers, and my grilling basket for vegetables, he will help me out a lot on the food front.

Then in July we are headed to Piscah National Forest area in North Carolina with our nephew and his wife. We have shared the expense of a really nice log house in the mountains. We will again be kayaking, but also will be doing some historical tours as well as quilting. My niece quilts, so we are both bringing our machines and supplies. The guys like to fish together so they are bringing their gear and will do that when we are quilting.

Memorial Weekend, Independence Day weekend, the 2nd weekend of August, and the first non-rainy weekend of September will be spent on Lake Huron in the sailboat. The grandsons will be here for the Independence Day sail, and then I will be back in Alabama in October to help Dd host this kids' Halloween party.

And in all of this crazy, if my sister and brother in law come home from France in August, we will not only take them sailing, but I will probably have a short camping trial with them as well.

Thankfully, I completely adore traveling, kayaking, sailing, and camping or otherwise I would be exhausted just thinking about it.

This all sounds fabulous!!! 

• Like 1

My family (dh, ds18, dd15, and me) are headed to Punta Cana in less than a month!!! I am so excited!!! We have never gone anywhere outside of the US and we haven’t even taken a family vacation for just the four of us in years. I am really hoping this trip provides some time for us to enjoy one another and have fun together, because it’s honestly been way too long since we’ve done that. 

Anyone been to Punta Cana and have recommendations for any excursions that we need to look into??

• Like 5

The current plan over Christmas break includes Japan, Hong Kong, Singapore, and Bali?

My kid is still trying to figure out what she wants to do for her Sweet 16 in January.  We had a long weekend in Miami for the other kid's 16, so probably something comparable.  (She nixed the big party that she'd been planning.)

Oh and we are hoping to go to Guatemala during Holy Week to see the alfombras de aserrin.  The school break finally coincides with holy week!  But they also have the band's Disney trip through that Thursday, so we'll probably grab them from Disney and fly down.

Edited by SKL
  • Like 5

48 minutes ago, SKL said:

The current plan over Christmas break includes Japan, Hong Kong, Singapore, and Bali?

My kid is still trying to figure out what she wants to do for her Sweet 16 in January.  We had a long weekend in Miami for the other kid's 16, so probably something comparable.  (She nixed the big party that she'd been planning.)

Oh and we are hoping to go to Guatemala during Holy Week to see the alfombras de aserrin.  The school break finally coincides with holy week!  But they also have the band's Disney trip through that Thursday, so we'll probably grab them from Disney and fly down.

Wow, how awesome!!!  I would love to see one of those places.  How many days are you doing all of those in?

• Like 2

My husband's best friend just bought a house in Newfoundland so my husband and I are planning a vacation for early August. I have only seen as far east as Quebec so I am very excited! We are going for a full week and not bringing the kids. It will be our first kid-free vacation ever. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Faith-manor said:

I want to, I really do. But, we don't have gyms near here in my rural county. The only workout I can come up with is riding the exercise bike, WiFit yoga, and whatever calisthenics I do in my living room! Without a rowing machine, I don't know how to build up the shoulder, arm, and back muscles needed to be able to do the really long paddles she is capable of. She is such a fit person, and I am a desk job music teacher trying to overcome not working out enough when I was younger. But I am trying! I can't afford to buy a rowing machine either, and have no where to put one. Still, I will what I can do to make it possible. I am hoping she doesn't mind doing shorter paddles and wants me to come. We have so much in common, and we always laugh and have a good time when we are together. My heart of hearts really wants to go.

If she invited you, she wants you to come.   Seriously.

small light weights might help or doing planks, etc.  

but GO.    I am taking adventures tut might be a once in a life time thing.  I have never left my kids for more than 3 nights and now I am doing 5 to Utah and just a month lasted 6 to Cancun.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Are your kids all going to Europe together?

Yes!! 😊 They’re making the itinerary together over skype since they’re scattered all across the country right now for school and work. They are visiting several countries over a month!

One of them has a chunky scholarship that covers travel abroad costs of a generous amount, so they are using that $$ to cover hotels/air bnbs and that child’s travel expenses. The others are paying for their own travel expenses and splitting food costs. 🙂 Having the rooms paid for makes it a relatively inexpensive trip. 

Some are flying in/out at different times due to likely internships, so they’re playing it by ear for now until everyone knows what they're doing over the summer. 

• Like 6

We are heading to the Andalusia area of Spain in April. We had airline credits that needed to be used by the 25th, and I wanted warm, so that won. Now that I’ve done some more research, I’m really excited for the trip!

Also trying to plan a long weekend in FL with my sister in February. I’m in the northeast and she’s in Asheville. The plan was west coast until the hurricane hit so I’m back to the drawing board. We want something low key/non touristy near a major airport. If anyone has ideas, let me know!

Edited by whitestavern
  • Like 4

We are planning to go to Morocco in February and then Spain in October.

We are living in Europe for just 3 years and it is hard to balance saving money and also doing all these once in a lifetime opportunities. It seems like a lot of other expats travel all the time so I can easily feel like I am doing something wrong. But we have 4 kids (3 teen boys) and just the food alone adds up.

I am wanting to take my younger two to do Harry Potter things in London because they are really into that right now. I’m afraid if I wait they may outgrow this stage. My two older kids want to see the Northern lights but that might get pushed til 2024. And I would really like to go to Italy at some point.

Edited by lovinmyboys
  • Like 6

We're hoping for spring break in Nashville, TN (with side trip to Huntsville, AL).

There is a rare disease community annual conference in Chicago, and we hope to tack on a couple of days to do some Chicago-specific stuff. The conference itself will have special side trips for the kids and teens that attend, so we won't have to do it all ourselves, which is nice. 

• Like 4

17 hours ago, easypeasy said:

Yes!! 😊 They’re making the itinerary together over skype since they’re scattered all across the country right now for school and work. They are visiting several countries over a month!

One of them has a chunky scholarship that covers travel abroad costs of a generous amount, so they are using that $$ to cover hotels/air bnbs and that child’s travel expenses. The others are paying for their own travel expenses and splitting food costs. 🙂 Having the rooms paid for makes it a relatively inexpensive trip. 

Some are flying in/out at different times due to likely internships, so they’re playing it by ear for now until everyone knows what they're doing over the summer. 

Awww that is the cutest thing.  I am glad that they are so close they want to vacation together.  How cool to get a scholarship to pay travel abroad costs.  What kind of scholarship is that?

14 hours ago, lovinmyboys said:

We are planning to go to Morocco in February and then Spain in October.

We are living in Europe for just 3 years and it is hard to balance saving money and also doing all these once in a lifetime opportunities. It seems like a lot of other expats travel all the time so I can easily feel like I am doing something wrong. But we have 4 kids (3 teen boys) and just the food alone adds up.

I am wanting to take my younger two to do Harry Potter things in London because they are really into that right now. I’m afraid if I wait they may outgrow this stage. My two older kids want to see the Northern lights but that might get pushed til 2024. And I would really like to go to Italy at some point.

We went to Morocco a few years ago.  Where are you going?  

Where do you live in Europe?  That is so amazing.  How do you like it?

• Like 1

I’m not really into traveling, but I’ve recently found myself craving sun, water, food made for me, and drinks magically refilled.  
But we’re not keen on cruise life, and most all inclusives seem kind of pricey for people who don’t want to do all the special things that are included.   
I literally just want to sleep, eat, drink, and admire the horizon.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Carrie12345 said:

I’ve recently found myself craving sun, water, food made for me, and drinks magically refilled.  
But we’re not keen on cruise life, and most all inclusives seem kind of pricey for people who don’t want to do all the special things that are included.   

Yessssssss....me too.  ❤️

We want to do a cruise from Boston to Quebec City/Montreal next fall. 

We are considering an event in Utah in the summer so would add on to make an adventure out of that at parks etc.

I'd love to go someplace warm and relaxing in the spring but I think we are long overdue to visit inlaws in the Midwest, ugh.

Edited by Dianthus
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Carrie12345 said:

I’m not really into traveling, but I’ve recently found myself craving sun, water, food made for me, and drinks magically refilled.  

Could you do a less all inclusive resort so it isn't quite so spendy, and then order food and drink delivered to the room? Mark and I find that we can often share an entree and just get a small side salad to go with it, so it isn't quite so pricey. We have also been k own to take alcohol with us to our room along with other beverages, and then take turns giving each other refills. So if you picked someplace warm, sunny, and with great beaches, then compromise on food a little. I do know what you mean. I have been fairly desperate to have a vacation in which I just am not in charge of organizing food. I hate cooking. I am good at it which means my family really wants my kitchen work all the time, and they love what I plan for our vacations and road trips. It has been necessary so often to save money. But nearly 35 years I to this, and I am just so sick of thinking about food, prepping food, organizing it all. Dh is NOT enough of a plan in advance guy to manage this even though he is an excellent cook. He flies by the seat of his pants so to speak. I just.do.not.want.to.cook.and.think.about.food.on.vacation. However, with the cost of restaurant food so high, and being limited to places where I have a reasonable chance of getting food that is not glutened, I am destined to it yet again IF I want our 2023 excursions to come to fruition. Maybe I should get an AirBnB, and then pay my youngest to come along as the chef. He cooks quite well!

Why does everyone have to eat? 😱

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Carrie12345 said:

My friend got us a great deal on an all inclusive in Cancun.   Might see what is available.   It isn’t the top of the line resort but has a beach, kayaking, pool, activities, room service and many other dining options all included.  

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

Could you do a less all inclusive resort so it isn't quite so spendy, and then order food and drink delivered to the room? Mark and I find that we can often share an entree and just get a small side salad to go with it, so it isn't quite so pricey. We have also been k own to take alcohol with us to our room along with other beverages, and then take turns giving each other refills. So if you picked someplace warm, sunny, and with great beaches, then compromise on food a little. I do know what you mean. I have been fairly desperate to have a vacation in which I just am not in charge of organizing food. I hate cooking. I am good at it which means my family really wants my kitchen work all the time, and they love what I plan for our vacations and road trips. It has been necessary so often to save money. But nearly 35 years I to this, and I am just so sick of thinking about food, prepping food, organizing it all. Dh is NOT enough of a plan in advance guy to manage this even though he is an excellent cook. He flies by the seat of his pants so to speak. I just.do.not.want.to.cook.and.think.about.food.on.vacation. However, with the cost of restaurant food so high, and being limited to places where I have a reasonable chance of getting food that is not glutened, I am destined to it yet again IF I want our 2023 excursions to come to fruition. Maybe I should get an AirBnB, and then pay my youngest to come along as the chef. He cooks quite well!

One of the best vacations we took was just staying at a Homewood Suites in San Diego where I didn't have to think about food once.  We ate the huge breakfast went to Legoland and other fun things and then came back for the evening reception.  No cooking, shopping, planning or anything.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, SKL said:

I don't have the exact itinerary but I believe it's 12 or 13 days from takeoff to return.

I hope you have a great time.  We have done that on every European trip that we have done and it was to much for us.  I much prefer slow travel.  However, we had a ton of little kids too, as our first European trip our youngest was 1.  Probably somewhat easier with just teens.

6 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

I hope you have a great time.  We have done that on every European trip that we have done and it was to much for us.  I much prefer slow travel.  However, we had a ton of little kids too, as our first European trip our youngest was 1.  Probably somewhat easier with just teens.

There are definitely pros and cons.  Realistically we don't have time to do "slow travel" and still see the places we want to see.  In addition, I personally don't love temporary living (hotel, cabin, tent, whatever).  It loses its charm rather quickly for me.

If I could design my ideal vacation, it would be somewhere wild with daily hikes / mountain climbing / canoeing etc., lots of time to meditate in quiet nature, and a generous taste of the local culture and history.  Unfortunately, this exact vacation would be hell for some if not all of my travel mates.  😛

We try to hit at least something that everyone likes at each stop.  A bit of nature / hiking, a bit of city / museums, and something kid/teen friendly (since my kids claim to hate the former two).  And whatever else the location is particularly known for.  Going for a nice hike/walk, for me, makes the travel pace feel slower than it looks on paper.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, SKL said:

There are definitely pros and cons.  Realistically we don't have time to do "slow travel" and still see the places we want to see.  In addition, I personally don't love temporary living (hotel, cabin, tent, whatever).  It loses its charm rather quickly for me.

If I could design my ideal vacation, it would be somewhere wild with daily hikes / mountain climbing / canoeing etc., lots of time to meditate in quiet nature, and a generous taste of the local culture and history.  Unfortunately, this exact vacation would be hell for some if not all of my travel mates.  😛

We try to hit at least something that everyone likes at each stop.  A bit of nature / hiking, a bit of city / museums, and something kid/teen friendly (since my kids claim to hate the former two).  And whatever else the location is particularly known for.  Going for a nice hike/walk, for me, makes the travel pace feel slower than it looks on paper.

Oh yeah I get it.  In college up to my 30s I think we were like that and loved it.  And had we not been dragging a bunch of young kids with us I am sure we would have continued on doing that especially when you go far away and there are so many things you want to see or this other country is so close now. 

But this summer we did a slow travel trip that we only stayed in 2 locations  in 7 weeks and I loved it and realized I love looooong slow trips instead of shorter see everything on a list trip.   And we mostly stay in Airbnbs for more space and all the home amenities so I get used to living in whatever home I am in.

2 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

One of the best vacations we took was just staying at a Homewood Suites in San Diego where I didn't have to think about food once.  We ate the huge breakfast went to Legoland and other fun things and then came back for the evening reception.  No cooking, shopping, planning or anything.

I love homewood suites when I am traveling with my young adult kids.  Breakfast and supper….buffet style so they can chose what they want….included with the room price which makes the rooms actually super affordable vs a cheaper room and paying for breakfast and supper 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Faith-manor said:

I have been fairly desperate to have a vacation in which I just am not in charge of organizing food. I hate cooking. I am good at it which means my family really wants my kitchen work all the time, and they love what I plan for our vacations and road trips. It has been necessary so often to save money. But nearly 35 years I to this, and I am just so sick of thinking about food, prepping food, organizing it all.  I just.do.not.want.to.cook.and.think.about.food.on.vacation. However, with the cost of restaurant food so high, and being limited to places where I have a reasonable chance of getting food that is not glutened, 

yes to all of this.  We switched to all inclusive after many many years and it completely changed how I felt about vacations.  I could relax and enjoy our family and be excited about the trip instead of dreading/planning ahead of time and then constantly think about shopping/meals/food while we were away.  We're good on gluten but have other dietary issues/preferences that make meals so difficult.  

This is an issue when my kids are home for visits too.  Not for short visits but when they come home for extended visits it's incredibly stressful figuring it all out.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ottakee said:

I love homewood suites when I am traveling with my young adult kids.  Breakfast and supper….buffet style so they can chose what they want….included with the room price which makes the rooms actually super affordable vs a cheaper room and paying for breakfast and supper 

Yes!!! It saves so much $$ when you calculate how much you would spend on breakfast and supper. Especially in the teen and up years when you can just let them eat until they are full.   There are some other hotel chains that do the same thing. I know Embassy Suites does, but I know there are others.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Awww that is the cutest thing.  I am glad that they are so close they want to vacation together.  How cool to get a scholarship to pay travel abroad costs.  What kind of scholarship is that?

It's even better because it will be the first "kids only" big trip they've taken all together with our bonus kid, who came to us at 17 years old. ♥ We are very lucky that they are close, despite living in the four corners of the world nowadays (with DH and I staying somewhere middlish so we can get to any of them within a 25+ hour drive, 😭).

Her scholarship is of the Amazing variety. 🤪 Pays for absolutely everything (even if you stay in the "nice" dorms, haha) and then they just have to fill in paperwork and have two travel abroad trips covered. Plus, the scholarship program takes them abroad all together as a group once as well, when they are freshmen. It was very competitive and she was very fortunate to receive it. 🙂

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mommyoffive said:

Yes!!! It saves so much $$ when you calculate how much you would spend on breakfast and supper. Especially in the teen and up years when you can just let them eat until they are full.   There are some other hotel chains that do the same thing. I know Embassy Suites does, but I know there are others.

Embassy Suites in Huntsville has a chef who makes custom omelettes in the morning. Yummy yummy.

• Like 3

We just got back from Hawaii and the first week was hot. I can see why Hawaiians complain when the temp gets close to 90. We had two nights at an Embassy Suites and the made-to-order breakfast omelets were 👍🏼 as were the happy hour margaritas. We were up in “dangerous” Waianae right on the ocean the rest of the time which was relaxing to the bone.

Dh and I are retired and are hoping to travel a lot now that we understand Covid better and ways to mitigate catching it. For this next year we are planning to go to southern California, Oregon (to see kids and do a 2-day bike trip), Florida (to see family), Montana (family), Mexico, Italy (family), Germany (family again), France and England. I love traveling so hopefully it will go smoothly with no new pandemics.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, BeachGal said:

We just got back from Hawaii and the first week was hot. I can see why Hawaiians complain when the temp gets close to 90. We had two nights at an Embassy Suites and the made-to-order breakfast omelets were 👍🏼 as were the happy hour margaritas. We were up in “dangerous” Waianae right on the ocean the rest of the time which was relaxing to the bone.

Dh and I are retired and are hoping to travel a lot now that we understand Covid better and ways to mitigate catching it. For this next year we are planning to go to southern California, Oregon (to see kids and do a 2-day bike trip), Florida (to see family), Montana (family), Mexico, Italy (family), Germany (family again), France and England. I love traveling so hopefully it will go smoothly with no new pandemics.

Wow so much travel!  I hope Covid doesn't get in your way. I hope to do this with dh when he retires. 

54 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Wow so much travel!  I hope Covid doesn't get in your way. I hope to do this with dh when he retires. 

We mask a lot when traveling and use nasal sprays. An unmasked passenger was coughing non stop in front of us all the way to Hawaii. Whatever he had we luckily didn’t catch, probably because we wore an N95 mask the whole way. Most were not masking though. 😬

• Like 2

The only thing we currently have scheduled is a week in Utah in the summer. We almost always go to to Aruba in the spring or fall, but haven't really discussed it yet. Dh would like to try another island or beach locale instead, though. Long weekends aren't usually planned this far in advance. 

• Like 2