Menu

My front yard is wild.

mom2scouts

I live in a suburban type neighborhood in a small city. We have birdfeeders on a tree in our front yard and every night there's wildlife out there eating the fallen bird seed. Tonight there's a large raccoon and two deer (one young one eating the rose bushes), two days ago there were three baby oppossum, most nights there's at least one of the two skunks that visit (one black and one blond) and we also have fox, groundhogs, coyotes, squirrels, ducks, and all kinds of birds that come to our yard. Sometimes there's a whole variety of animals all eating together in the front yard. What kind of animal visitors do you get?

• Like 22

❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

we live on a farm so have coons, possums, rabbits, deer, coyotes and one time a fox. Oh! And for some reason a lot of turtles that cross the yard! 🤷🏼‍♀️
Oh! And one time we got a flying squirrel down our chimney and into the house!

Eta: Lots of birds I don’t know and occasionally we see an owl. Not to mention the rodents or the actual farm animals- chickens, hogs, dogs, cats and a pony! 🥰

Edited by saraha
  • Like 7

@mom2scoutsthats so sweet to see different species eating together! 

For us it’s mostly deer. So many deer. We live in a suburban area, too. We are just a few miles from the largest state park in our state. Also, we have a lot more green space than other metro area suburbs I’ve been to. Most of the homes are on .3 acre on up. There are horse farms, too. Lots of forested areas.

Other than deer, we see an occasional fox. We’ve seen raccoons, moles, possum, armadillos, coyotes, snakes…

We hear owls all the time but don’t see them.  

• Like 6

We have a tiny urban lot. We get tons of butterflies, bees and hummingbirds visiting our bedding areas. There are wild brown rabbits that visit often from the woods surrounding the greenway.  Somehow they have not found the lettuce. We also have a good supply of earthworms this year, but I only see them when I’m playing around in the beds. Oh yes - songbirds. Little brown ones. They nest in our gutters in the spring. This year we had a fledgling on our patio for nearly an entire day, he finally hopped into the bushes and we lost track of him. He probably flew shortly after we saw him - he seemed close. 

Edited by TechWife
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, mom2scouts said:

. What kind of animal visitors do you get?

I live rural, we have regenerated a couple of acres of natural habitat and it is a nature corridor connecting crown land bush on one side of us  to a swampy waterway 

A huge range of birds, including kookaburras, fairy wrens, yellow breasted robins, galas, magpies, corellas, new Holland honey eaters, satin bowerbirds, willy wagtails  plus many more

kangaroos and wallabies, samber deer, wombats, bandicoots, possums, goannas, snakes, blue tongue lizards, dragon lizards, at least 20 varieties of frogs plus many more

I wont even list the insects

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I know we get wallabies because they ate all our camellias. Kangaroos eat grass, but wallabies like eating young trees. I've had an apple tree for years which is basically bonsai due to the wallabies. I've spotted wallabies once or twice. 

I've seen wombat scat in the paddock but haven't seen a wombat (they're out at night). Possums, of course. Snakes, pythons, black. Some kind of small mammal, maybe antechinus. Lizards, frogs. Once I saw two baby foxes playing. Our neighbour has seen deer (they're feral not native of course) but I haven't.

Lots of birds - kookaburras, bush turkeys, swamp hens, blue wrens, willy wagtails, butcher birds, yellow robins, fire finches, more bower birds than you'd believe, wonga wonga pigeons, ducks, different kinds of honey eaters, different kinds of parrots (rosellas, king parrots, gang-gangs) and magpies of course.

• Like 8

What kind of animal visitors do you get?

Turkeys. We have one persistent turkey mama who keeps trying to raise her babies here. Most of them seem to get picked off by red tailed hawks and/or peregrine falcons, but she keeps trying. And then in the fall we see the enormous flock from I don't know where. Actually, they're kinda scary at that point! They do not back down when you come close!

We also have raccoons and possums and corvids, plus a fairly impressive array of songbirds including, since my adulthood, mockingbirds. We can thank climate change for them! Oh, and we have bats! Literally living in a church belfry!

Mid-island and the South Shore they have deer and rabbits and turkey vultures. I'm not sure that the deer live here, though. I think I heard that they commute from Jersey.

• Like 8

We get raccoons, foxes, possums, deer, skunks, rabbits and groundhogs mostly. We see turkeys, but those mostly tend to be in the spring (as do our fox sightings). There are tons of coyotes around but I've never seen one actually in our yard, thank goodness. Squirrels and chipmunks by the dozens, or at least it seems that way. In the spring we usually see a black snake or two. And we have lots of hawks. I've only seen a few that were big enough to make me worried about our dogs, but we still rarely let them go out alone. Do feral cats count? We have two of those.

• Like 8

We're suburban.

Herds of deer. Really, we'll have groups of 6 or more at a time. The neighbor was trying to teach them to eat out of his hand (such a breathtakingly dumb idea).

For years we had cardinals (and little brown jobs) nesting in our garage, but managed to keep them out the past couple of years. So annoying to have to get up in the morning and "go let the birds out" by opening the garage. Corvids. A hawk. Sometimes I hear an owl.

Raccoons, opossums, squirrels (so many squirrels), rabbits, a turtle, black snakes, chipmunks (they try to come in the house)(actually, so do the squirrels and cardinals, who now nest in the back and try to come in via the slider). One fox.

The neighbor's dog from 2 doors down -- a couple of years ago he got loose, got into our house, and ate all the cat food, so now whenever he gets out of their yard he wants to relive that glorious moment.

You know, as I list this out I'm realizing a trend of how many of these animals are trying to come in and make themselves at home. I'm not really sure what to think about this. Even the deer come up on the patio and look in the slider.

• Like 4
  • Haha 6

13 minutes ago, GailV said:

You know, as I list this out I'm realizing a trend of how many of these animals are trying to come in and make themselves at home. I'm not really sure what to think about this. Even the deer come up on the patio and look in the slider.

We've had a raccoon attempt to come in our front door (scratching as if to get our attention) and a groundhog knocking (with his nose) on the slider.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

We've had a raccoon attempt to come in our front door (scratching as if to get our attention) and a groundhog knocking (with his nose) on the slider.

Yes! They come up and knock on the door! Chipmunks, squirrels, the cardinal - they all do it!

Oh wait -- I just realized this is all at the slider. Some of them are reacting to their reflections. That makes sense for the cardinal. OTOH, the chipmunks are just plain dumb and just want to get in EVERYTHING POSSIBLE. I'm pretty sure one has slipped in our house at least once.

• Like 2

In addition to the delightful mix of birds at our feeders, we’ve seen squirrels, deer, flying squirrels, rabbits, and coyotes in our yard,. Currently there’s at least one armadillo digging in my back yard, which we just had sodded a year ago and I have lovingly tended this year. I’m like a crazy woman when my security lights in the back yard come on, running out there to scare the armadillo.  Anyone looking to expand their yard’s animal variety, I offer an armadillo. That guy has to go!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

We're Suburban but rural-ish in our immediate neighborhood.  Lots of woods, a river, farms, etc in the immediate vicinity.   

We get black bears frequently, deer constantly, squirrels, chipmunks, raccoons, opossum, skunks and groundhogs are always around, we have a couple red fox and bobcats that live in the neighborhood, coyotes and cougars are seen but rarely, wild turkeys are pretty common, lots of other birds of all kinds including hawks, bald eagles, hummingbirds (when its warm), cardinals, blue jays, etc.   Turtles, snakes (harmless garter snakes mostly).  

• Like 4

16 hours ago, mom2scouts said:

What kind of animal visitors do you get?

We are also suburban and get a lot of the animals you listed, though not in mixed groups! The wildest thing we have had was a drunk man wearing a toga and a Statue of Liberty crown at 2am who had wandered away from a party down the street. 🙄 I called the police to help that little lost sheep home.

Edited by Miss Tick
  • Haha 7

Mammals:  Coyotes, deer, squirrels, raccoons

Birds:  Lots!  Some of the more exciting ones are flickers, pileated woodpeckers, owls, and the occasional great blue heron and bald eagle

Other:  Frogs, snakes, salamanders, slugs, snails, dragonflies, butterflies

• Like 4

We get almost every "wild" mammal that still exists in our geographical area, except for bears.  (Not really sorry that we don't get bears.)

Our list is similar to the OP's.  Deer, coyote, fox, raccoon, skunk, possum, various rodents, and whatever I'm forgetting.  😛  We hear owls at night and have seen bald eagles flying over, and at least once we had a Canada goose waddle through our yard.  (Not a fan of goose poo.)  Turkeys are often seen nearby, but I don't recall seeing one in our yard so far.

• Like 3

Deer. Herds and herds of deer.  
Also black bears, foxes, rabbits, raccoons, opossums, squirrels, groundhogs, and So. Many. Toads.

I haven’t yet seen a coyote in the yard, but I hear them hunting every night.

Our yard backs up to thousands of acres of preserved land.

No bird feeders for us. I would never be able to leave my house!

• Like 5

We have mostly rabbits, ground hog, possum, toad, several kinds of birds and moles in our yard. But on the outskirts of this little town we have coyote, fox, deer, coon, beaver, geese, ducks, pheasant, partridge, quail, wood ducks, wild turkey, and sometimes sea gulls. Everyone hates and despises coons, ground hogs, and deer because they do such substantial damage to crops and gardens. We had to shoot the occasional rabbit and ground hog until we started raised bed gardens that are two feet off the ground.

• Like 3

I temporarily took down my bird feeder because there was a rat visiting. Yikes!! I do not want rats in my house.

Prior to this, I had a ton of different birds, chipmunks, squirrels, rabbits and a couple small mice at the feeder. I miss my feeder, and will put it up again soon. I hope the rat has moved on. 

• Like 2

Suburban here. Squirrels aplenty, lots of songbirds (but I am horrible at identifying them!), hawks, foxes, possums, rabbits, turtles (the houses across the street from us back up to a small lake), Canada geese (😡), owls...probably more that I'm not thinking of. A stray cat every now and then, but I don't feed it, so it moves along. Oh, sometimes a group of herons or egrets...I can never recall which they are.

We had deer in our yard a lot at our previous house, but not so much here. Previous house was in a neighborhood whose main road was called Deerlake, so, yeah. 😄

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mom2scouts said:

I've never had an alligator or an armadillo! I'll pass on the alligator, but maybe Annie G will send her armadillo.

My sister in Florida has conservation land right next to her house and routinely has alligators at her front door. Hard no for me. 
I’d happily send the armadillo! I was out there screaming at that lumbering animal and nearly fell off my deck when he zoomed past me. I had NO IDEA they could run as fast as 30MPH.  That was crazy.

• Haha 4

7 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Our coyotes were traveling in a very brazen pack.  I did come face to face with them and they did not show any fear of me at all. 

😳Yikes!

At the old house, the coyotes lived farther away (maybe half a mile to a mile) and I spotted 1 far off in the woods exactly once in 17 years. 
I expect to see them more frequently right here, but your scenario might destroy my relationship with this area!

Deer, fox, coyotes, racoons, skunk, groundhog, hares, moose, bear, fisher, bats, mice, squirrels, chipmunks, flying squirrels

Crows, ravens, gulls, wrens, pileated, downy, and woody woodpeckers, juncos, chickadees, nuthatches, phoebes, bluebirds, flickers, broad-winged hawks (a nesting pair every year) Cooper's hawk, barred, barn, screech, and saw whet owls, plus cardinals which I dislike as they are a harbinger of climate change.  Migrating geese, sharp-shinned hawks, osprey, plus bald eagles high overhead.

Peepers, wood frogs, fairy shrimp, spotted and other salamanders, toads, leopard frogs, newts, garter, ringneck, and milk snakes

Dragonflies, black flies, luna moths, monarchs, mosquitos, bees and wasps, crickets, grasshoppers, mourning cloak, swallowtail, and painted lady butterflies

Maybe the wildest nature sighting in my yard was the Northern Goshawk that was killing and eating my young chickens one year - it was so beautiful I forgave it and was also  a little blown away by its size and ability.  Plus this year I was getting the mail and heard a loud humming that I thought was the electricity wires but was in fact a swarm of wild honeybees in a large white pine across the road from the mailbox.

I am super grateful every day for where I live and my proximity to wildlife.  We keep a running list each year on the fridge to write the dates we see them and any interesting observations.  We like to compare the dates when the first wood frogs, peepers, etc are heard.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, popmom said:

Wow! Our coyotes are very aloof.

We live in a very secluded spot surrounded by thousands of acres with no other people. The wildlife are used to us because we spend so much of our days (and nights) outside caring for our horses.

Last year there was one little coyote (the one in the picture here) who would come up every morning and watch me do chores. She’d sit about 30’ away and just watch what I was doing. She was so inquisitive, and had a funny little personality. 

I don’t worry about our coyotes because they have never shown any signs of aggression towards us, and are very well fed on rabbits, deer, etc. I would definitely not have outdoor cats or small dogs here, though. Our cats are strictly indoors, and our dogs are all big and behind a fence that the coyotes can’t get over.

B89BD13B-C15F-4955-9777-27EBF5472C05.jpeg

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Carrie12345 said:

😳Yikes!

At the old house, the coyotes lived farther away (maybe half a mile to a mile) and I spotted 1 far off in the woods exactly once in 17 years. 
I expect to see them more frequently right here, but your scenario might destroy my relationship with this area!

This was a few years ago. There were a LOT of posters going up for lost cats and small dogs. I can’t remember the climate that year but something had pushed this pack of four coyotes down into our suburban town. I would assume lack of food like rabbits elsewhere.   Every time there is a cougar or bear sighting there is talk on the news about the lack of food in their normal hunting grounds and the abundance of easy pickings in town. There has never been an attack on a human in the situations that I have seen but lots of small pets being “lost”. 

• Like 1