Menu

Bivalent vaccine?

sangtarah

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hubby had both bivalent & flu at same time on Sunday. Felt sick at work for a few hours yesterday, to the point of having to lay down in his office (he's a real Type-A, so.......) for about 45 minutes.

And then he was fine. And was completely back to normal today.

DD and I will have bivalent boosters in a few weeks.

BTW, Dr. Jetelina's blog post today (about the effectiveness of the vaccines, and who is dying now from Covid....BTW, we're still losing ~400 people/day to Covid). Worth a read.

Edited by Happy2BaMom
  • Like 6

I had mine about noon yesterday and by about 6:30/7 I started to feel cruddy:  aches, feverish, tiredness. Went to bed early and woke up this morning still feeling tired but it seems the other symptoms have passed. I was very diligent about moving my arm following my booster (I'm sure I looked the fool walking around Costco waving my arm all about LOL) but I didn't have any problems sleeping on it last night. 

• Like 3

Here are the side effects to expect from your omicron-specific Covid booster shot (msn.com)

A single dose of Pfizer's monovalent vaccine contains 30 micrograms of mRNA targeting the original Covid strain. The updated booster shots contain the same number of micrograms, with 15 targeting the original strain and the other 15 targeting BA.4 and BA.5.

Moderna's monovalent shot contains 50 micrograms of mRNA per dose targeting the original strain. Its updated booster has 25 micrograms targeting the original strain, and 25 targeting the omicron subvariants.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Dd14 and I got the new booster today at Walgreens. It turned into a good learning experience, as the pharmacist was bawled out by someone whose opioid prescription he was declining to fill without calling her three doctors first.  Experiential learning, check. 

Anyway, zero issues with the shots so far. We're going to drink lots of water. 

• Like 4

I got the pfizer yesterday at 2pm.  I have some mild arm pain but if I had fever or anything else, it must have happened in the night.  I feel pretty normal as of right now.  One thing that did happen was that about one hour after getting the shot I had a very strong nauseated feeling.  So much so that I thought I might throw up.  It lasted for about an hour then went away.  I have a stomach of steel and this was a very odd feeling for me.  I had not eaten anything out of the ordinary.  Nothing like that happened the other three times.  So, who knows?  

24 minutes ago, strawberries said:

I have a mammogram scheduled at the end of the month, so will wait and get it after that. DS turns 18 in less than two weeks. I am wondering if he should also wait and get Moderna since his first 3 shots were Pfizer. Is there current advice on that?

My ds in that age group is the only one I prefer to get Pfizer, since the lower dosage carries lower risk of myocarditis and he’s in the prime age range for that (as is your ds). The rest of us have had Moderna but may switch up our booster for Pfizer (though having looked more closely at the dosing, I am inclined to feel like the higher Moderna dose would do us more good then switching it up by going to Pfizer), but I have gotten my ds Pfizer throughout. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, strawberries said:

I have a mammogram scheduled at the end of the month, so will wait and get it after that. DS turns 18 in less than two weeks. I am wondering if he should also wait and get Moderna since his first 3 shots were Pfizer. Is there current advice on that?

Males under 30 are advised to have Pfizer rather than Moderna because there is a higher risk of myocarditis from Moderna for males in that age group.

My son is going to have Pfizer for that reason. Does anyone know if this applies to young women  as well? DD22 is planning to have the booster on Friday and is considering Moderna after 3 Pfizers. Should she stick with Pfizer as well?

• Like 3

On 9/10/2022 at 1:00 PM, J-rap said:

So I don't really get the vaccine for myself.  I get the vaccine for other people who wouldn't be able to handle it as well.  

That’s an interesting perspective since the vaccines have not been shown to prevent the spread of infection. In fact, this point is now so widely acknowledged that the entire country of Denmark no longer even offers the vaccine to healthy individuals under age 50. https://www.sst.dk/en/english/corona-eng/vaccination-against-covid-19

• Like 2

Thanks @KSera and @Longtime Lurker - I had somehow forgotten about the increased myocarditis risk for young men!  He'll stick with Pfizer; maybe I can schedule him at Walgreens this weekend.  My parents are getting theirs at CVS tomorrow.  DD sometimes gets dizzy or passes out after shots, so for her I may wait for the ped or a community center event where there's somewhere to sit afterward. The drugstores here don't always have open chairs.

2 hours ago, El... said:

Dd14 and I both have sore arms from yesterday. I had a headache with a sore neck for an hour yesterday, and she had one for a little while this morning. I think we're about past the immune reaction effects. 

I'm post 48 hours and I have a headache with sore neck as well. I'm relieved to see others have experienced the same thing. My arm that didn't trouble me at first feels like it's the size of a cantaloupe and its hurt quite a bit. Looks fine though. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, She Travels said:

That’s an interesting perspective since the vaccines have not been shown to prevent the spread of infection. In fact, this point is now so widely acknowledged that the entire country of Denmark no longer even offers the vaccine to healthy individuals under age 50. https://www.sst.dk/en/english/corona-eng/vaccination-against-covid-19

While protection against severe disease and death is lasting a lot longer than protection against infection, the CDC still reports an infection rate 2-3x as high for the unvaccinated as for the fully vaccinated over this past summer, a number that's been pretty consistent ever since omicron took over (about 5x as high during delta and 10-13x as high before that). There could be other things at play there (perhaps the fully vaccinated are also more likely to take other precautions, although my observation lately is that...they're not), but those numbers certainly make it seem that there is some protection against infection, just not nearly as much as pre-omicron. But I think it's important to note that the rate of infection is at least twice as high in the unvaccinated in the US right now. That's pretty significant.

Edited by kokotg
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 5

5 hours ago, She Travels said:

Well, you completely missed my point then.  I don't get it for myself, because I AM healthy.  I get the vaccine in the hopes that I might be able to prevent passing Covid on to people who cannot tolerate it as well.  Countries, such as Denmark, aren't necessarily pushing the moral part of it -- understandable.  They leave that part up to individuals.  As an individual, what I'm saying is that to me, the morally responsible approach is to think of those who cannot tolerate Covid as well, due to age, health, etc.  

I don't know why it's such an interesting perspective, actually.  It seems like a pretty common approach.

Perhaps you didn't read through the entire link you listed, but the article does say:  

Why do we need to re-vaccinate?

We have achieved very high population immunity in Denmark. This is due both to the high adherence to the vaccination programme and to many people previously having been infected with covid-19. However, we expect that this immunity will gradually decrease over time. In addition, we know that covid-19 is a seasonal disease and that the number of infections are expected to increase during autumn and winter.  We expect that a large part of the population will become infected with covid-19 during the autumn, and we therefore want to vaccinate those having the highest risk so that they are protected from severe illness if they become infected.

They are saying that there are benefits to the vaccine, and we do know -- also through studies -- that the the vaccine still helps reduce your risk of getting infected, which then reduces the risk of passing it on.

Edited by J-rap
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, whitestavern said:

For deaths, US is 15. Denmark is 60.  

Yes. They have a very high vaccination rate compared to the us. Including one round of boosters. I imagine a strategy of only boosting higher risk people going forward will keep their death rate low. If death was the only bad outcome with covid, that strategy would be less controversial, I imagine.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Longtime Lurker said:

My son is going to have Pfizer for that reason. Does anyone know if this applies to young women  as well? DD22 is planning to have the booster on Friday and is considering Moderna after 3 Pfizers. Should she stick with Pfizer as well?

The risk appears specific to males. My young adult dd's have gotten Moderna for that reason.

19 minutes ago, whitestavern said:

For deaths, US is 15. Denmark is 60.  

Quite likely related to the fact that the US is only 67% fully vaccinated (primary series) and Denmark is 81%.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, kokotg said:

Incidentally, I just checked, and Denmark ranks 11th in the world in cases per 1,000,000, so it's possible they're not the best country to look to for guidance on reducing transmission. just saying. 

They were also absolutely slammed by Omicron, which hit just as they opened everything up. I think they estimated that 70% had been infected with Omicron, so most of the population has already had an Omicron-specific "booster," and they are just focusing on re-boosting the most vulnerable.

I haven't had any version of covid yet, and neither have my kids, so we are all definitely getting the bivalent booster.

• Like 7

On 9/15/2022 at 2:46 PM, J-rap said:

Well, you completely missed my point then.  I don't get it for myself, because I AM healthy.  I get the vaccine in the hopes that I might be able to prevent passing Covid on to people who cannot tolerate it as well.  Countries, such as Denmark, aren't necessarily pushing the moral part of it -- understandable.  They leave that part up to individuals.  As an individual, what I'm saying is that to me, the morally responsible approach is to think of those who cannot tolerate Covid as well, due to age, health, etc.  

No, I think I understood your point perfectly. You believe you are getting a vaccine to prevent others from getting sick. If the vaccine actually prevented infection, that might be a valid reason for taking it (although the health risks of vaccine injury would still weigh heavier against, imo.) But the vaccine does not prevent infection. The site I posted made that point quite clearly when it stated “The purpose of vaccination is not to prevent infection with covid-19, and people aged under 50 are therefore currently not being offered booster vaccination

Edited by desertflower
Don’t need to have the last word
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, She Travels said:

The site I posted made that point quite clearly when it stated “The purpose of vaccination is not to prevent infection with covid-19, and people aged under 50 are therefore currently not being offered booster vaccination

That’s in a population with a high primary series vaccination rate, and clearly, as with most countries it seems, they have chosen also to ignore the risk and burden of long Covid and elevated risk of other adverse outcomes after having Covid illness (heart attack, stroke, mental illness, etc). Just because they’ve chosen to go that route doesn’t make it a good decision. 

• Like 4

On 9/15/2022 at 10:29 PM, Corraleno said:

They were also absolutely slammed by Omicron, which hit just as they opened everything up. I think they estimated that 70% had been infected with Omicron, so most of the population has already had an Omicron-specific "booster," and they are just focusing on re-boosting the most vulnerable.

As is the case in the US. Back in Feb 2022, it was estimated that 73% of the population was already immune to Omicron. Since then a ton more people got infected, likely bringing the percentage much higher, although I don't know what the number is.

Just read this in Woman's Day magazine

August is National Immunization Awareness Month, but you might want to take a walk post jab.  People who exercised for 90 minutes after a flu or Covid-19 vaccine had more antibodies a month later than people who didn't.  Researchers say exercise may create an environment that optimizes the body's immune response. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 9

I have several reasons to get the booster:

I have two auto immune diseases and am over 50. Substantially lower chance of severe illness or death is a good thing. 

I have not yet had covid. 

Some jobs I am applying for require it.

I spend time with my 86 yo mom and am often in her AL home around elderly people. If my likelihood of passing the virus on is even a tiny bit less bc of the booster, I’ll take that.

I had mild to moderate reactions to the initial series and the first booster, so have no reason to expect a severe reaction this time. (Esp. getting the Pfizer) 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Malory said:

As is the case in the US. Back in Feb 2022, it was estimated that 73% of the population was already immune to Omicron. Since then a ton more people got infected, likely bringing the percentage much higher, although I don't know what the number is.

having had omicron is not the same thing as being immune to omicron. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

7 hours ago, She Travels said:

No, I think I understood your point perfectly. You believe you are getting a vaccine to prevent others from getting sick. If the vaccine actually prevented infection, that might be a valid reason for taking it (although the health risks of vaccine injury would still weigh heavier against, imo.) But the vaccine does not prevent infection. The site I posted made that point quite clearly when it stated “The purpose of vaccination is not to prevent infection with covid-19, and people aged under 50 are therefore currently not being offered booster vaccination

I'm not sure if this is splitting hairs (I don't think it is), but this doesn't say (as you claimed) that vaccination DOESN'T prevent infection, but that that's not the purpose of Denmark's vaccination program. Again, it certainly seems to reduce the rate of infection, if not as much as we would like. But Denmark seems to be saying they don't particularly care if you get covid if you're not at high risk, not that a vaccine wouldn't reduce the risk of that happening. 

I'd also point out that we've been through this before; many countries, including the US, were very reluctant to recommend universal boosters last fall, even after it became clear from data in countries like Israel that pushed boosters early on, that they were a really good idea. And then they eventually had to backtrack and try to get everyone to get boosters after all when omicron hit. 

• Like 6

I was signed up for mine today (Moderna after Pfizer for all previous), and it was cancelled due to not having enough doses. I am pretty peeved. It's not really possible to get our whole family in at once, so it's already a pain. I wanted to have a day to not go anywhere in case changing which type of vaccine I get kicked my rear, so today was really the best day for it.

I don't know if I should try again for Moderna or just get Pfizer.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

Just now, kbutton said:

I was signed up for mine today (Moderna after Pfizer for all previous), and it was cancelled due to not having enough doses. I am pretty peeved. It's not really possible to get our whole family in at once, so it's already a pain. I wanted to have a day to not go anywhere in case changing which type of vaccine I get kicked my rear, so today was really the best day for it.

I don't know if I should try again for Moderna or just get Pfizer.

The dose for Moderna is still higher than Pfizer (I'm pretty sure), so it would make sense to expect fewer side effects with Pfizer...anecdotally, I've heard that that's the case for a lot of people...but my 16 year old who got Pfizer felt worse than Moderna people here, so....????

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Just read this in Woman's Day magazine

August is National Immunization Awareness Month, but you might want to take a walk post jab.  People who exercised for 90 minutes after a flu or Covid-19 vaccine had more antibodies a month later than people who didn't.  Researchers say exercise may create an environment that optimizes the body's immune response. 

Thank you for posting this -- I hadn't heard about the benefits of exercising after getting the vaccine! 

• Like 2

On 9/15/2022 at 12:41 PM, She Travels said:

Denmark? Really? That's the best you've got? 🤣

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

15 hours ago, She Travels said:

The vaccine does shorten infectious period and reduce viral load I think? Or at least for a period of time. It’s kind of not a black and white thing - it doesn’t prevent transmission but reduces which is still a worthwhile goal.

I do agree the moral impetus for vaccination is much lower than it would be with a vaccine that provides sterilising immunity

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

The vaccine does shorten infectious period and reduce viral load I think? Or at least for a period of time. It’s kind of not a black and white thing - it doesn’t prevent transmission but reduces which is still a worthwhile goal.

It does. This has continued to be shown during omicron. Here's one summary of household omicron attack rates showing the attack rate is higher when the index patient is unvaccinated vs vaccinated Variant Transmission Within Households — Four U.S. Jurisdictions, November 2021–February 2022. Boosted individuals transmitted to household members at a rate of 42.7% vs 63.9% for unvaccinated index patients.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4

DH and DD22 each got a Moderna booster on Friday after 4 previous Pfizers (DH) and 3 Pfizers (DD). I got my Moderna a week ago after 3 previous Pfizers. They each had only mild side effects: sore arm (both), mild headache (DD) and some fatigue (both). I was relieved to have only a sore arm, some swollen lymph nodes under my left arm, and a mild headache. I had been concerned about worse side effects from the higher dose in Moderna but that was not an issue.

• Like 4

How long are we supposed to wait after being infected with covid before we get the booster?  3/4 of us came down with covid this past week after not having it for 2.5 years.  I plan to get my 17 year old, who did not catch it, boosted as soon as I'm relatively sure she isn't going to come down with covid from us, but I thought the rest of us needed to wait 2-3 months?  Would waiting and doing a booster in December make sense after September infection?  Or would November be better?

11 minutes ago, Terabith said:

How long are we supposed to wait after being infected with covid before we get the booster?  3/4 of us came down with covid this past week after not having it for 2.5 years.  I plan to get my 17 year old, who did not catch it, boosted as soon as I'm relatively sure she isn't going to come down with covid from us, but I thought the rest of us needed to wait 2-3 months?  Would waiting and doing a booster in December make sense after September infection?  Or would November be better?

I would decide when based on what cases are doing in November and you’ll also have the benefit at that point of knowing something about how well the new boosters are working. I’m feeling a bit regretful about having gotten Pfizer because the dose is so low, but it was all I could find and I was worried about having your experience and catching it this week while waiting for Moderna. So I did Pfizer. You might have the benefit of at least preliminary data to help you decide. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Terabith said:

Considerations for your fall booster - by Katelyn Jetelina (substack.com)

How long after infection/last vaccine should you booster?

The aspect of timing is, to me, the most tricky part. It really depends on your last infection and/or vaccine and risk tolerance.

Infection: If you’ve been previously infected, the “official” CDC guidance says you can get your vaccine immediately following recovery from symptoms or, at maximum, defer up to 3 months after infection. We do not have to wait 3 months after infection. We won’t “exhaust” or “overwhelm” our immune system, but by delaying we get the biggest bang for our vaccine buck.

This week a really great preprint found a booster doesn’t add much benefit within 2 months (60 days) of infection. While it increases neutralizing antibodies (our body’s first line of defense that prevents infection and transmission), it will not broaden the memory of B cells (our second line of defense and long term-memory). So wait at least 2 months.

Unfortunately, beyond that, we don’t know the optimal timing.

The same is true with previous vaccination. The “official” guidance says to wait 2 months after last vaccine. And that makes sense given this latest preprint. However, we may benefit from a longer delay. It’s not random that the UK recommends 12 weeks (3 months) between doses.

How much longer to delay should take into account: individual risk (age, comorbidities); degree in which you don’t want to miss an event (because you’re sick) or an event is high risk (wedding, family vacation); and/or not wanting to be sick in general (for example, if someone depends on you). I recommend the following:

• <2-3 months since infection/vaccination: Wait.

• 3-4 months since infection/vaccination: Consider a booster if you’re high risk, or have an event. (Get your booster 2 weeks before this event for optimal protection).

• 4-6 months since infection/vaccination: Get your booster at some point.

• 6+ months since infection/vaccination: Get your booster ASAP. This includes me—I haven’t been infected, and I had my booster last November.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Considerations for your fall booster - by Katelyn Jetelina (substack.com)

How long after infection/last vaccine should you booster?

The aspect of timing is, to me, the most tricky part. It really depends on your last infection and/or vaccine and risk tolerance.

Infection: If you’ve been previously infected, the “official” CDC guidance says you can get your vaccine immediately following recovery from symptoms or, at maximum, defer up to 3 months after infection. We do not have to wait 3 months after infection. We won’t “exhaust” or “overwhelm” our immune system, but by delaying we get the biggest bang for our vaccine buck.

This week a really great preprint found a booster doesn’t add much benefit within 2 months (60 days) of infection. While it increases neutralizing antibodies (our body’s first line of defense that prevents infection and transmission), it will not broaden the memory of B cells (our second line of defense and long term-memory). So wait at least 2 months.

Unfortunately, beyond that, we don’t know the optimal timing.

The same is true with previous vaccination. The “official” guidance says to wait 2 months after last vaccine. And that makes sense given this latest preprint. However, we may benefit from a longer delay. It’s not random that the UK recommends 12 weeks (3 months) between doses.

How much longer to delay should take into account: individual risk (age, comorbidities); degree in which you don’t want to miss an event (because you’re sick) or an event is high risk (wedding, family vacation); and/or not wanting to be sick in general (for example, if someone depends on you). I recommend the following:

• <2-3 months since infection/vaccination: Wait.

• 3-4 months since infection/vaccination: Consider a booster if you’re high risk, or have an event. (Get your booster 2 weeks before this event for optimal protection).

• 4-6 months since infection/vaccination: Get your booster at some point.

• 6+ months since infection/vaccination: Get your booster ASAP. This includes me—I haven’t been infected, and I had my booster last November.

Thank you; this is very helpful!  I have a pretty low risk tolerance, and I'm working in a preschool this year, and my youngest is attending a public high school where almost nobody is masking and they are jammed in like sardines.  I feel like, unlike previous years when our risk levels were relatively low, we're at pretty high risk of infection.  We aren't at crazy high risk of severe illness; everyone is under 50, and while several of us, including me are obese, we don't have any other risk factors.  

But because further boosters are unlikely to be available, I do want to get the most bang for our buck, vaccination wise.  So this is very helpful info!  

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Catwoman said:

Denmark? Really? That's the best you've got? 🤣

Yes, the only thing I have to make me know that the vaccine does not prevent infection is the entire country of Denmark acknowledging that fact. It’s not like I have ever seen anyone that has been vaccinated and boosted go on to actually get Covid. The many world leaders around the world that pushed the vaccine—Biden, Harris, Macron, Boris johnson, Macron, Jacinda Ardern, it’s not like they ever got Covid after being vaccinated and boosted. The health leaders that told us vaccines would prevent spread—Fauci, Becerra, Bourla have avoided Covid because they were vaccinated. And the numerous Hollywood elites and politicians that were double, triple, and quadruple jabbed — all managed to escape the virus. Oh, wait…

• Confused 2

28 minutes ago, She Travels said:

Yes, the only thing I have to make me know that the vaccine does not prevent infection is the entire country of Denmark acknowledging that fact. It’s not like I have ever seen anyone that has been vaccinated and boosted go on to actually get Covid. The many world leaders around the world that pushed the vaccine—Biden, Harris, Macron, Boris johnson, Macron, Jacinda Ardern, it’s not like they ever got Covid after being vaccinated and boosted. The health leaders that told us vaccines would prevent spread—Fauci, Becerra, Bourla have avoided Covid because they were vaccinated. And the numerous Hollywood elites and politicians that were double, triple, and quadruple jabbed — all managed to escape the virus. Oh, wait…

I’m actually unclear what precisely you’re trying to say at this point. The vaccines are no longer preventing infection very well, which they used to do. However, as has been pointed out, they continue to make a measurable impact on decreasing transmission. That’s not the same thing as saying that they prevent it, and nobody here has said that they still do that. They decrease the rate of spread modestly and they save lives massively. 

• Like 10