Menu

Toilet with a view

Ottakee

18 minutes ago, Catwoman said:

The only view I want from a toilet when I’m on vacation, is of the shower and the vanity in my hotel room. 😉 

I would rather have this view.   We saw 6 other people in 2 days and no one near our campsite or open air bathroom

16323D1F-F045-4E3B-9550-4C62DBFACC97.jpeg

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Elizabeth86 said:

Sure as hell beats digging a hole! 

Exactly.   That happened out on the trail but this was sure a nice addition to our campsite which was 2+ miles from the nearest campsite or other people

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Ottakee said:

I would rather have this view.   We saw 6 other people in 2 days and no one near our campsite or open air bathroom

16323D1F-F045-4E3B-9550-4C62DBFACC97.jpeg

It's a beautiful view, but I can go places and see great views... and then go to a hotel to sleep.

It's a win-win for me, because I would rather set myself on fire than go backpacking and camping! 😉 

I'm glad you love it, though!  🙂 

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, LifeLovePassion said:

I had to look that up. We will be day hiking at Pictured Rocks soon. I am adding that to a list for future years. We have family and a family cabin in the UP so it's a regular destination. 

We also camped Cuhlane Lake and visited Two Hearted River and Crisp Point lighthouse.   The last two required mud running in the mini van so a 4 wheel drive vehicle is highly recommended 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ottakee said:

This was my toilet with a view for my backpacking trip last week.   Actually the latrine was a very nice addition to our backcountry campsite.

8F613695-6242-4475-965F-B0543F9F5563.jpeg

I was using a toilet with a view like that once and a group of hikers walked by and waved. I carefully kept my jacket draped over me and hoped that they didn’t realize where I was sitting. And that I would never meet them again!  

• Haha 20

2 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I was using a toilet with a view like that once and a group of hikers walked by and waved. I carefully kept my jacket draped over me and hoped that they didn’t realize where I was sitting. And that I would never meet them again!  

This one was set far off the main trail so hopefully that doesn’t happen…..but better than the squat option when hikers come past

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

That would be my main reservation.

7 hours ago, Ottakee said:

This one was set far off the main trail so hopefully that doesn’t happen…..but better than the squat option when hikers come past

I’m no longer capable of squatting to a…um.. trustworthy height, iykwim.  So your picture actually made me feel like I could cope with that.  Honestly, I think that’s probably better than an enclosed outhouse with all the spiders and other ickies that are attracted to dark, enclosed spaces.

But then I remembered that I’m also no longer capable of sleeping on the ground and still function the next day, so I’ll leave it to the people who can, lol.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Ottakee said:

The other options are a trowel to dig a hole.

Oh, I know. I have an Eagle Scout. He and my dh went to Philmont. I don’t “vacation” that way. Indoor plumbing and sturdy structures are major advances for humanity. I have zero desire to go backwards. I admire those of you who do. No view is worth that to me. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My best friend and I squatted in the woods less than a week ago.  It made me kinda sad to realize how difficult it was.  I have been  doing it my entire life,  and I have come across many disgusting bathrooms that make squatting look like a dream.  And @Ottakee’s pic look like a dream too!

My favourite loo with a view was at a guest house in either Shigatse or Gyantse in Tibet. It was a mud brick tower. You climbed up the outside by ladder then squatted on the top over a hole.  I assume compost was shoveled out of the bottom periodically. The views of the Himalayas were astonishing, and no one could see you unless they climbed up because of the width of the structure. 

• Like 6

12 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

12 hours ago, Ottakee said:

When I was a girl scout and we go hiking often, our teachers would insist we bring along the thick army style rain poncho because we were hiking in tropical rainforest area. Those ponchos come in useful for more than just rain, we use them as make do picnic mats as well.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Catwoman said:

The only view I want from a toilet when I’m on vacation, is of the shower and the vanity in my hotel room. 😉 

In fairness, she did say it was a backpacking trip, not a vacation. 

This is at Philmont, where my boys hiked.....

It gets a giant NOPE from me.

Edited by DawnM
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Great view!

17 hours ago, Ottakee said:

The other options are a trowel to dig a hole.

Um, I've done that. We used to go camping often in our younger days. Most times we'd camp at parks with actual campsites and facilities but we did some primitive camping. My favorite was a canoe/camping trip down the Peace River in SW Florida.

https://www.floridarambler.com/kayaking-in-florida/peace-river-florida-kayak/

ETA: These days my back prefers a nice comfy hotel bed but glamping isn't out of the question. The old days of sleeping on the ground and primitive camping though are long past. 😂

Edited by Lady Florida.

I love reading the responses….. the NOPEs and the YESes ——depending on if you like backcountry camping/backpacking or more hoteling.

it was not stinky at all.  Fresh air, lots of pine trees for privacy, but no moose.   We were hoping to see some moose on this trip but just saw deer and other small animals.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Rachel said:

Beautiful view! I’d much rather have that than have to dig a hole. 

I’m glad you are enjoying backpacking. I backpacked and kayaked at Pictures Rocks last August, it’s beautiful up there!

The friends I went with backpacked Pictured Rocks last month.  I hope to do a section of that someday.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Ottakee said:

I love reading the responses….. the NOPEs and the YESes ——depending on if you like backcountry camping/backpacking or more hoteling.

it was not stinky at all.  Fresh air, lots of pine trees for privacy, but no moose.   We were hoping to see some moose on this trip but just saw deer and other small animals.

I would do it. I have used more rustic accommodations on day hikes and my main concern is poison ivy and copperheads. 

What I couldn’t get behind is WC in France with no door and no throne. I mean…what? This isn’t the woods, it’s urban!? Hard pass. I’ll play camel for the next couple hours. I joke that the three things I was always looking for in France: 1) a place to charge my phone; 2) a place to fill my water bottle; 3) a decent public WC. If I could find all three in one town, I was golden. 

I backpack and remote canoe and often encounter these.  We lovingly call them "thrones" and I far prefer them to enclosed outhouses or digging a hole.  But my last trip, two weeks ago, had a LOT of mosquitoes. Like wear-a-bug-net-at-all-times mosquitoes.  And they don't make those for when you gotta do your business.  It was a little traumatizing to offer that region of my body up as a bug buffet.  I still have welts. LOL! 

• Sad 1