Menu

Have you ever as an adult had a shirt with buttons in the back?

Have you ever worn a shirt as an adult with buttons at the back?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Have you ever worn a shirt as an adult with buttons at the back?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. If yes how did you like it?

• Awful, I couldn’t do the buttons without help
    • Buttons kept popping undone
    • Loved it
    • Look a flying pig

I bought sort of a Henley-type shirt that has a few buttons at the neck opening, but not all the way down the front. Didn’t even realize until I took it home that it has a row of buttons down the back. So I’m not sure this qualifies, lol. But I thought it was a cute detail and I’ve had compliments on it. 

• Thanks 1

Yes but it was several sizes larger with elastic shirring around the waist and cuffs, so it looked purposeful and easy to put on. For that I’d instead make a hidden zipper on the side and sew the back closed. Or a back zipper hidden behind the buttons. Or maybe use a stretch fabric and choose a size with enough ease that I could pull it on overhead instead. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I don't do stretch fabric. I am trying really hard to sew with  only natural fibers for environmental reasons. 

If I did a side zip I would still need some buttons at the neckline.  

maybe I will make it up with some op-shop bought material with  back buttons just for fun, just to see what it is like having back buttons . I could use it as a gardening top.

• Like 1

I made some  woman's land army overalls from a ww2 pattern the other week. DH , who in 29 years of marriage has never said anything looks nice before commented on how cute he thought it was.  let me tell you though  it is a pain to undo  a dozen buttons on the side every time you need to go to the toilet. and none of the pockets fit a mobile phone 😄

image.png.1b01512105031948fa2e2f59893a78d5.png

• Like 15
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Melissa in Australia said:

I don't do stretch fabric. I am trying really hard to sew with  only natural fibers for environmental reasons. 

maybe I will make it up with some op-shop bought material with  back buttons just for fun, just to see what it is like having back buttons . I could use it as a gardening top.

It’s beautiful and in trend with the current cottage core style. You could use a jersey knit with natural fibers but it wouldn’t have the same slightly formal effect. I would use it to wear on errands or church or events. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Melissa in Australia said:

I made some  woman's land army overalls from a ww2 pattern the other week. DH , who in 29 years of marriage has never said anything looks nice before commented on how cute he thought it was.  let me tell you though  it is a pain to undo  a dozen buttons on the side every time you need to go to the toilet. and none of the pockets fit a mobile phone 😄

image.png.1b01512105031948fa2e2f59893a78d5.png

Gorgeous!  Maybe a hidden side pocket sewn into the side or behind the bibb if you’re not opposed to the radiation near your heart. 

• Thanks 1

A button or two at the neck is ok, but buttons too far down the bank can be very uncomfortable when sitting in a chair (or car) with a seat back.

Both patterns are cute, but I really love the overalls! Maybe you could add a second, larger patch pocket on the left-hand side to fit your phone.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Melissa in Australia said:

I want to make view B but with the Peter Pan Collar in a cream floral

Could you do 1 real button at the top, that you could reach to open the neck enough to pull it over your head,  and then decorative buttons down the back?

• Thanks 1

I'm with all those who say to only put a button or two at the neck.  Leave a slit (with a turned facing) that goes down far enough to make easy on and off over the head.  We had similar blouses in the mid-eighties, along with similar ones with bows at the neck. Before I learned to sew, I had a beautiful long-staple cotton one from Joseph A. Bank, back when they did women's clothing. 

(Don't anyone go off on a tangent about what that blouse style is called now...I don't know why, and it's probably for some reason I don't want to know about. 😉 ) 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Halftime Hope said:

Don't anyone go off on a tangent about what that blouse style is called now...I don't know why, and it's probably for some reason I don't want to know about. 😉 

I guess I need a hint.

Edited by SusanC
didn't want to sound too excited about something I might regret.
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Melissa in Australia said:

image.png.8ceac4f30b893638c54606a4b773cff0.png

Yeah, that's going to look completely different and lose the vintage vibe if you put buttons down the front. I think you could get away with just a few buttons, enough to get it on and off, even if it calls for buttons all down the back. Using a zipper on the overalls you posted would lose a tiny bit of the charm, but it would still be essentially the same garment. whereas buttons on the front of this is going to be a different shirt altogether.  

I like the idea of a trial run with cheaper materials. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, SusanC said:

I guess I need a hint.

https://thebowtiegurl.com/history-of-the-womens-necktie-aka-pussy-bow-photo-gallery/   

Well...it looks like the term p u s s y is innocent (regarding blouses) and not derogatory like I dreaded it might be.  The first time I ever saw a blouse with a bow referred to as a "p u s s y blouse" (no kidding) was when Melania Trump wore one, and the reporting referred to it exactly as I wrote it before. 

I've worn many a blouse with a bow in professional offices, and I had never heard it called that, so I assumed that it had picked up a naughty name in the 25 years between then and now. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Melissa in Australia said:

I want to make view B but with the Peter Pan Collar in a cream floral

I had a frock with Peter Pan collar and buttons down the back when I was younger. I would love to wear what you describe as an adult. I would also love to see the finished product.

As to answer your question, when I wear my ethnic clothes and several dresses they have buttons, hooks, zips or even bows at the back. Some of them like the bow or a zip is sometimes part of the design. I wear and have worn enough of them that I am quite adept at them. The stray cases is why DH is there for. In gatherings among friends or family, it is not unusual to ask someone (usually a woman) to fix a hook, button, bow or zip that has come undone. People don't balk at it and we move on.

The reason I love back buttons is most of the clothes that have them are embroidered or have something in the front that will take away from the look. Sometimes they are hidden in the case of hooks mostly and sometimes zip.  But if they are buttons they are usually part of the design. I have fond memories of my grandmother's button box and sifting through them to choose buttons when she made a dress for me. 

I am rambling now, but I would say back buttons for what you propose. Covered if possible.

Edited by DreamerGirl
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have but I don’t have a large breast area c-cup, am flexible and fairly thin. I leave them all buttoned except the top two. Slip the shirt on, then button the top two with my arms behind my neck. I grab the color behind my neck and pull the shirt up, so the buttons are easy to get to. No biggie to me, but it is a combination of body style and shirt fit that makes it work. 

my daughter who has a larger breast area and is not flexible, could never wear a shirt with buttons like that. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Halftime Hope said:

https://thebowtiegurl.com/history-of-the-womens-necktie-aka-pussy-bow-photo-gallery/   

Well...it looks like the term p u s s y is innocent (regarding blouses) and not derogatory like I dreaded it might be.  The first time I ever saw a blouse with a bow referred to as a "p u s s y blouse" (no kidding) was when Melania Trump wore one, and the reporting referred to it exactly as I wrote it before. 

I've worn many a blouse with a bow in professional offices, and I had never heard it called that, so I assumed that it had picked up a naughty name in the 25 years between then and now. 

I figured  that was what you were referring to but was too lazy to look for old illustrations of cats with a bow around their neck. 

24 minutes ago, itsheresomewhere said:

The first one.

The second fabric reminds me of the bed set my now passed elderly neighbor had.  

Yes well the reason I got the second one is because it reminded me of some pillowcases my grandmother had when I was a child. 

You have convinced me. I will use the first 

Thank you

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Melissa in Australia said:

didn't have enough of the first fabric. 😮 will look through my stash and find some

The first one is really pretty. It would make a really lovely dress. 

Will there be enough for a sleeveless blouse  with a Peter Pan collar and buttons down front instead ? You could use plain white for the collar. 

Or it will make a lovely frock with a Peter Pan collar for some little girl in your circle. 

In any case, please show the finished product. 

• Thanks 1

On 5/30/2022 at 4:00 AM, Melissa in Australia said:

I keep thinking of this comment that you could use it as a gardening top!  I can’t  imagine wearing something like that for gardening but I am a dirty, sweaty gardener who comes in covered with “bits of nature”. I only use breathable easily washed fabrics that move with my body for that purpose. And even then I save my “grubbies “ for gardening and then shower and change afterwards. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I keep thinking of this comment that you could use it as a gardening top!  I can’t  imagine wearing something like that for gardening but I am a dirty, sweaty gardener who comes in covered with “bits of nature”. I only use breathable easily washed fabrics that move with my body for that purpose. And even then I save my “grubbies “ for gardening and then shower and change afterwards. 

I live an extremely isolated life. Way in the middle of nowhere. I hardly talk to anyone outside household members or people on this forum. I love looking to me pretty.  I guess I like living in my imagination. at the moment I am into clothing from the late 30s early 40s. So I make pretty tops  to garden. I garden some every day. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, DreamerGirl said:

The first one is really pretty. It would make a really lovely dress. 

Will there be enough for a sleeveless blouse  with a Peter Pan collar and buttons down front instead ? You could use plain white for the collar. 

Or it will make a lovely frock with a Peter Pan collar for some little girl in your circle. 

In any case, please show the finished product. 

It is winter here at the moment so I am wanting a long sleeve top. I most probably will make that material into a really cute puffy sleve top from a pattern I have from the 30s

• Like 1