Menu

Oscars/Will Smith

Mrs Tiggywinkle

32 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

so this man’s bad behaviour or the consequence of two men‘s bad behaviour if Chris Rock knowingly made the joke, is really a woman’s fault?

No it's not her fault, and the way she treats him is not an excuse for what he did. But I don't think there's any question that the toxic dynamics of their relationship are a big part of why he did what he did. 

• Like 6

https://7news.com.au/lifestyle/health-wellbeing/mum-living-with-alopecia-weighs-in-on-will-smiths-infamous-slapping-of-chris-rock-at-the-oscars-c-6259357

Channel 7 is not high quality reporting but this is the story of a lady with alopecia. She says she doesn’t wear a wig anymore because the embarrassment of it slipping off at the wrong time is worse than just going without it.

Edited by Ausmumof3
  • Thanks 1

This morning I saw some clips about what others at the show thought.  The opinions were diverse, but one lady mentioned that the G.I.Jane reference was an accusation of being homosexual when she was in high school.  Considering a lot of the background provided by previous posters, the "aren't you the man of the family" implication might have been more of a trigger than the medical disorder thing.  Or it was a double whammy.

I'm probably the last person to realize this though.  I don't follow that family at all.

Also - someone said there was a standing ovation?  At what point?  Did the crowd give WS a standing ovation for hitting CR?  If so, then doesn't this indicate that whole culture supports/encourages this kind of behavior?

6 minutes ago, SKL said:

This morning I saw some clips about what others at the show thought.  The opinions were diverse, but one lady mentioned that the G.I.Jane reference was an accusation of being homosexual when she was in high school.  Considering a lot of the background provided by previous posters, the "aren't you the man of the family" implication might have been more of a trigger than the medical disorder thing.  Or it was a double whammy.

I'm probably the last person to realize this though.  I don't follow that family at all.

Also - someone said there was a standing ovation?  At what point?  Did the crowd give WS a standing ovation for hitting CR?  If so, then doesn't this indicate that whole culture supports/encourages this kind of behavior?

He got a standing ovation for his win, not for slapping CR.

18 hours ago, Melissa Louise said:

You know whose responsibility it is to understand the antecedents of a man's choice to behave violently? 

His. His and his therapist/counsellor/other trusted person. Scholars who study and seek to prevent violence. 

The rest of us (women and children particularly, but not only women and children) have every right to give a blanket no to 'understand'.

I am well aware you would never think this, so am not suggesting you are saying this, but the suggestion we spend a moment of time 'contextualising' an act of violence in lieu of abhoring it reminds me of the way media responds when a man kills his wife - exploring what 'made him do it', as if he was pushed, as if it wasn't always a choice. 

Smith wasnt 'driven' by culture or anything else to enact physical violence. He chose to participate in it. 

I just think it is 2 conversations.  One is that WS lost his temper and slapped CR, and there is simply no excuse.  I agree he chose, and I agree he is wrong.  On an individual level, the action and responsibility are clear.  

The second conversation is what motivates a person to act as they do.  It is the discussion of "scholars who study and seek to prevent violence," as you say.  I think it is good for moms to join this conversation, so they can teach their children.  No one has to, for sure.  But these conversations can exist in parallel.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, thewellerman said:

I just think it is 2 conversations.  One is that WS lost his temper and slapped CR, and there is simply no excuse.  I agree he chose, and I agree he is wrong.  On an individual level, the action and responsibility are clear.  

The second conversation is what motivates a person to act as they do.  It is the discussion of "scholars who study and seek to prevent violence," as you say.  I think it is good for moms to join this conversation, so they can teach their children.  No one has to, for sure.  But these conversations can exist in parallel.

Fair enough. 

It does feel perilously close to excusing, at times, however, especially when the victims of a physical or verbal assault are ignored at the same time. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Melissa Louise said:

Because I'm home sick from work, I have been browsing Twitter and apparently the Academy asked WS to.leave after the slap but he refused. Also they apologised to CR. 

I’m sorry you’re sick…feel better soon!

Here’s more info about the Academy’s statement…

https://www.tmz.com/2022/03/30/will-smith-asked-to-leave-oscars-but-refused-academy-claims/

It says they have until April 18th to make a decision on a punishment. I’m curious what they’ll do, if anything. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Melissa Louise said:

Because I'm home sick from work, I have been browsing Twitter and apparently the Academy asked WS to.leave after the slap but he refused. Also they apologised to CR. 

That’s pretty bad on his part. Hard to imagine what was going on that he thinks any of that was acceptable.

• Like 3

On 3/29/2022 at 8:31 AM, Sneezyone said:

ETA: A lot of people don’t realize that the particular brand of dysfunction this family is dealing with is rooted in the push/pull between street and mainstream culture. Jada is ratchet. She grew up in the streets, sold drugs, was SUPER tight with Tupac Shakur (well before he got famous). They attended high school together. Will Smith is not that and never has been. Their issues, separate and together, are all mixed up in that push/pull. You can see it in those coming to Smith’s defense (Tiffany Haddish) and those that are not (Stephen A. Smith). Street rules aren’t compatible with mainstream culture. Anyone remember the closing episodes of the Wire? The Smiths aren’t in Kansas anymore.

(I’m two pages behind, FTR.)

I feel for the people who see this as… crap, I can’t think of a non-punny word right now… bad reflection! On the black community.  And I also feel for the people who are being told that their take, their gut feeling/cultural perspective/what have you is wrong. The end result may be mainstream wrong, but it doesn’t change the lens each person sees it through in the moment.

I was not nearly as shocked as I found myself being told to be the next day. I’m a white lady who was raised to know violence was wrong, but also that it happens in real life, AND that most of the time, unless someone is in severe danger and I should call for help, it isn’t any of my dang business.
Now, I have never seen such a hugely public spectacle before, but I have seen my fair share of brawls.  And a slap is *nothing* compared to what I witnessed in a suburban NJ high school at least a few times a month.  Those 16yo kids would have laughed hysterically at an open handed slap. AT THE PERPETRATOR! (Slapping was for the girl fights.)

Toxic masculinity? Yes. Do I morally rail against that? Yes. But do I still have pieces inside of me that haven’t been fully reprogrammed? Absolutely.

I, however, don’t have the unfair weight of representation on my back. I can be written off as 1 ignorant person.  And I can disagree with that. And neither perspective actually means anything to anyone more than those in my private (or board, lol) conversation. 

With that, I maintain that 2 dudes with history acted like dumb@sses. Regardless of the size of their platform, I’m still baffled by the degree of attention a b-slap (sorry, not sorry) is getting. Including from myself!

• Like 2

So apparently Jada and Will are refusing to comment or answer any questions about The Slap because they plan to discuss it on Jada's Red Table "talk show" next week — where she can totally control the narrative and make sure Will says exactly what he's told to say. I mean if you can't screw up your husband's career and then exploit the situation for clicks and views, what's the point of even being "married"?

• Like 7

8 hours ago, Corraleno said:

So apparently Jada and Will are refusing to comment or answer any questions about The Slap because they plan to discuss it on Jada's Red Table "talk show" next week — where she can totally control the narrative and make sure Will says exactly what he's told to say. I mean if you can't screw up your husband's career and then exploit the situation for clicks and views, what's the point of even being "married"?

Yeah I read that in the articles I posted too.  UGh.    I couldn't stand these two before this and now that has only grown so much more. 

And Chris didn't say anything really about it at his show.

High road, low road.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Here is my question about this whole thing: A criminal assault took place during the event. It is not the Academy's place to decide if Chris Rock wants to press charges or not. It is a matter for police. The people involved are moved to a room with security members and close witnesses to wait for police to arrive and take statements. This is sorted out by police and DA, not the Academy.

Why is there no backlash from the DA's office about not calling police? I do not get it. Has the world gone so around the bend that Hollywood, in pursuit of a show that exists for the sole purpose of patting themselves on the back, is exempt from even the most basic legal guidelines? Yup. But this is a rich man's privilege because I am pretty sure that if the local high school witnessed a basketball coach smack a ref in the face, the expectation would be stop the game, call the police, have statements taken. The fact that the show went on is just so gross.

Will Smith needs to grow up. The lout laughed at the joke, saw that his wife was annoyed, and then acted like a buffoon, committed a crime, and then spent five minutes defending it. Way to role model middle school playground behavior. I had boys in my 6th grade class exactly like this.

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

Here is my question about this whole thing: A criminal assault took place during the event. It is not the Academy's place to decide if Chris Rock wants to press charges or not. It is a matter for police. The people involved are moved to a room with security members and close witnesses to wait for police to arrive and take statements. This is sorted out by police and DA, not the Academy.

Why is there no backlash from the DA's office about not calling police? I do not get it. Has the world gone so around the bend that Hollywood, in pursuit of a show that exists for the sole purpose of patting themselves on the back, is exempt from even the most basic legal guidelines? Yup. But this is a rich man's privilege because I am pretty sure that if the local high school witnessed a basketball coach smack a ref in the face, the expectation would be stop the game, call the police, have statements taken. The fact that the show went on is just so gross.

Will Smith needs to grow up. The lout laughed at the joke, saw that his wife was annoyed, and then acted like a buffoon, committed a crime, and then spent five minutes defending it. Way to role model middle school playground behavior. I had boys in my 6th grade class exactly like this.

And apparently the academy did not ask him to leave as they had originally claimed.

https://www.tmz.com/2022/03/31/academy-lied-asking-will-smith-to-leave-oscars-slap-chris-rock/

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

I'm not shocked police were not called. In all honesty, it was a slap. These people can afford good lawyers. It's not worth the tax payers time to go through all that for a slap. Cops have bigger things to spend their time doing than dealing with rich men acting like toddlers. 

I would not want my tax dollars spent on that, when there are not enough resources for women in abusive relationships, rape kits to be processed, etc. 

Not saying it is okay, and maybe showing my Florida native genes, but it would never cross my mind to call the cops. Kick him out, yes. Legal system, with cops, lawyers, judges, etc etc? Meh, not worth it. 

Honestly, in my mind this was so childish my first reaction is someone should call their parents on them. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 4

14 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

I'm not shocked police were not called. In all honesty, it was a slap. These people can afford good lawyers. It's not worth the tax payers time to go through all that for a slap. Cops have bigger things to spend their time doing than dealing with rich men acting like toddlers. 

I would not want my tax dollars spent on that, when there are not enough resources for women in abusive relationships, rape kits to be processed, etc. 

Not saying it is okay, and maybe showing my Florida native genes, but it would never cross my mind to call the cops. Kick him out, yes. Legal system, with cops, lawyers, judges, etc etc? Meh, not worth it. 

Honestly, in my mind this was so childish my first reaction is someone should call their parents on them. 

Sure, in private homes, I get it, small private events, people decide to handle things "in house". But, this was on national t.v. and not private in anyway. Plus, if he bounded up onto the stage and hit a female comic, all of a sudden I think everyone would view that as worse and think police resources should be used, or if he leaned over and slapped Jada in the face, suddenly it is domestic violence and worse. Yet, I don't think Marx's face is more important than Chris's face.

I think they are getting a pass because " Boys will be boys" and that isn't a good message to send. We say "it was a slap" but Will is big, muscular, and obviously not in control. He could have knocked Chris's teeth out. The absence of teeth on the floor and blood dripping down his face doesn't make it any better in my eyes. I say this as someone who grew up in a culture of boys will be boys, and settling things like men. I really didn't appreciate it then and don't now especially as I see people think losing control and being violent is the accepted way to solve verbal spats., and especially so when worshipped "heroes" do it on stage for boys to see with no repercussions in that moment.

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

$25 fine where I am.

58 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

I’m no lawyer but since the assault was against Chris Rock, he would have to have needed immediate assistance and want to press charges for the police to be called. That’s how rape domestic abuse continue; victims don’t want to press charges. There was no ongoing disturbance after the slap and shouts. Later if he would choose to press charges, he’d have lots of witnesses and video evidence. I personally don’t see there was any crime committed against the academy. 

47 minutes ago, Fritz said:

And apparently the academy did not ask him to leave as they had originally claimed.

https://www.tmz.com/2022/03/31/academy-lied-asking-will-smith-to-leave-oscars-slap-chris-rock/

I’ll believe this when I see it from a more reliable source. 

Edited by Grace Hopper

6 minutes ago, Catwoman said:

TMZ is actually pretty reliable when it comes to celebrity stuff.

This article is really a he said/she said kind of deal, particularly the headline. While some asked him to stay, others disagrees and may have actually asked him to leave. We may never know the truth. And does it really matter? The real consequences lie ahead, in the ramifications to his future career and any decision the academy may make about his status. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Faith-manor said:

https://apple.news/AaNYLGJZJTM-AsHW2QpGzKA

LAPD was there and did ask about pressing charges. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ktgrok said:

Same here.  I don't think police should have been called.  Of course it was wrong, violence is never the answer and all that....but I doubt DA would have pressed charges anyway. 

22 minutes ago, Catwoman said:

TMZ is actually pretty reliable when it comes to celebrity stuff.

I've read that they pay huge amounts to paparazzi for gossip and news, so they are also are often first to report stuff, which can seem pretty cold at times, like when they reported on Kobe within an hour of the crash and even before family had been notified. I think the local police spoke of how that wasn't appropriate.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Scarlett said:

Can the Academy strip WS of the award?  That is what I really wish would happen.  

I think they'd need to deny the rapists and sexual assaulters of past awards, too? And if you rescind those awards, it's a slippery slope to denying perverts and assaulters their nominations to office.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Faith-manor said:

Sure, in private homes, I get it, small private events, people decide to handle things "in house". But, this was on national t.v. and not private in anyway. Plus, if he bounded up onto the stage and hit a female comic, all of a sudden I think everyone would view that as worse and think police resources should be used, or if he leaned over and slapped Jada in the face, suddenly it is domestic violence and worse. Yet, I don't think Marx's face is more important than Chris's face.

I think they are getting a pass because " Boys will be boys" and that isn't a good message to send. We say "it was a slap" but Will is big, muscular, and obviously not in control. He could have knocked Chris's teeth out. The absence of teeth on the floor and blood dripping down his face doesn't make it any better in my eyes. I say this as someone who grew up in a culture of boys will be boys, and settling things like men. I really didn't appreciate it then and don't now especially as I see people think losing control and being violent is the accepted way to solve verbal spats., and especially so when worshipped "heroes" do it on stage for boys to see with no repercussions in that moment.

I see what you are saying, as a setting an example kind of thing. 

5 hours ago, Scarlett said:

Can the Academy strip WS of the award?  That is what I really wish would happen.  

When they strip Roman Polanski of his, we can talk about it.

Edited by SKL
typos
  • Like 11

14 minutes ago, SKL said:

When they strop Roman Polaski of his, we can talk about it.

Polanski, Weinstein and at least one other guy have been kicked out of the academy. I don’t believe any person has ever been stripped of the award once given… though if the court were public opinion a few probably would be. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Grace Hopper said:

Polanski, Weinstein and at least one other guy have been kicked out of the academy. I don’t believe any person has ever been stripped of the award once given… though if the court were public opinion a few probably would be. 

Yes. I get why on the basis of them having completed the work that earned them the reward, it isn't taken away. The argument that I have seen was he made the movie, and the award was decided upon before he did this. Therefore he should get to keep his Oscar which is based on the work he did, not on his character as a human, but then be barred from the Academy. I don't really care because it is basically a bunch of rich, pretentious folks who think they are heroes to the world for being actors getting together to pat each other on the back, wear crazy clothes, and get weepy with each other. So for me, if it weren't for the fact that kids in this country often do hero worship actors, I would more inclined to think of it as the neighbor's poker party got out of hand, the cops sorted it out, and who cares if the winner kept the pot or not. I do concede it being more involved than that even if I don't have any respect for the whole thing.

• Like 1

Smith has resigned from the Academy rather than wait to be kicked out, which was almost certainly coming. (Note that not being a member just means he can't vote, he can still be nominated and win awards.)

Here's his statement:

"I have directly responded to the Academy’s disciplinary hearing notice, and I will fully accept any and all consequences for my conduct. My actions at the 94th Academy Awards presentation were shocking, painful, and inexcusable.

The list of those I have hurt is long and includes Chris, his family, many of my dear friends and loved ones, all those in attendance, and global audiences at home. I betrayed the trust of the Academy. I deprived other nominees and winners of their opportunity to celebrate and be celebrated for their extraordinary work. I am heartbroken. I want to put the focus back on those who deserve attention for their achievements and allow the Academy to get back to the incredible work it does to support creativity and artistry in film.

So, I am resigning from membership in the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, and will accept any further consequences the Board deems appropriate.

Change takes time and I am committed to doing the work to ensure that I never again allow violence to overtake reason."

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Corraleno said:

Smith has resigned from the Academy rather than wait to be kicked out, which was almost certainly coming. (Note that not being a member just means he can't vote, he can still be nominated and win awards.)

Here's his statement:

"I have directly responded to the Academy’s disciplinary hearing notice, and I will fully accept any and all consequences for my conduct. My actions at the 94th Academy Awards presentation were shocking, painful, and inexcusable.

The list of those I have hurt is long and includes Chris, his family, many of my dear friends and loved ones, all those in attendance, and global audiences at home. I betrayed the trust of the Academy. I deprived other nominees and winners of their opportunity to celebrate and be celebrated for their extraordinary work. I am heartbroken. I want to put the focus back on those who deserve attention for their achievements and allow the Academy to get back to the incredible work it does to support creativity and artistry in film.

So, I am resigning from membership in the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, and will accept any further consequences the Board deems appropriate.

Change takes time and I am committed to doing the work to ensure that I never again allow violence to overtake reason."

Awww... poor baby.Â đŸ™„

Sucks to be him.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

13 hours ago, Corraleno said:

Here's his statement:

This just makes me even more mad.  It was like he did that move before he could get in any trouble and then he and Jada are going to talk about it on her show.    What a gross way to go about it.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

This just makes me even more mad.  It was like he did that move before he could get in any trouble and then he and Jada are going to talk about it on her show.    What a gross way to go about it.

I’m wondering if the Academy told him he could either resign or get kicked out. He doesn’t seem like the type of person who would have resigned voluntarily.

• Like 2

World's smallest violin playing just for WS. đŸ™„

Note he didn't offer to give up his Oscar. So he refuses to leave when asked after acting abominably, gets his award, gives a five minute narcissistic speech, leave we with his prize in hand, and NOW is quitting the Academy, and then on his wife's show no doubt seeking sympathy and to downplay his actions.

I don't think I can watch Men in Black again, and I like a good slapstick comedy, and Tommy Lee Jones. 

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, katilac said:

I don't think he should give up the Oscar, voluntarily or involuntarily. It's an award for acting, not humaning. 

True. And well, an awful lot of them don't human well at all! 

My problem is he was asked to leave and should have. But he was a total slime and insisted on staying so he could get his award in the spotlight and yammer out his absolutely atrocious speech because ego. That should not have happened. When he didn't leave, security should have hauled his butt out of there, and they should have skipped presenting or announcing his award even if it would be awkward. He got everything he wanted, and then the  "oh nowwwwwwwwI I will quit" pout. The Academy should NOT have let that happen even if it was uncomfortable to do the right thing and made an even bigger scene to remove him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Faith-manor said:

True. And well, an awful lot of them don't human well at all! 

My problem is he was asked to leave and should have. But he was a total slime and insisted on staying so he could get his award in the spotlight and yammer out his absolutely atrocious speech because ego. That should not have happened. When he didn't leave, security should have hauled his butt out of there, and they should have skipped presenting or announcing his award even if it would be awkward. He got everything he wanted, and then the  "oh nowwwwwwwwI I will quit" pout. The Academy should NOT have let that happen even if it was uncomfortable to do the right thing and made an even bigger scene to remove him.

Didn't they walk back the fact that he was asked to leave?  

I mean, I think he absolutely SHOULD have left, but I've been very confused on the messaging around that.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Terabith said:

I mean, I think he absolutely SHOULD have left, but I've been very confused on the messaging around that.  

I don't know what to believe on that either.  It was all anonymous sourcing saying he wasn't asked to leave either.  It is certainly possible he was quietly asked and not everyone involved knew about it.  It's also possible he wasn't asked of course.  Who knows what to believe.  

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, catz said:

I don't know what to believe on that either.  It was all anonymous sourcing saying he wasn't asked to leave either.  It is certainly possible he was quietly asked and not everyone involved knew about it.  It's also possible he wasn't asked of course.  Who knows what to believe.  

I have not seen a source walk that back. But I am not heavily following it in the media, just saw a mainstream outlet report a day ago saying he was asked to leave. So who knows? I mean at this point I think they should just name the 2022 Oscars the "Dumpster Fire Awards Show".

• Haha 1

I read through a couple of pages of responses here and ran out of time, but what surprised me from posters here -- and maybe it's deeper into the thread -- is that you all read WS' response as only being about JPS' disease.  I had a completely different take on it.  I think WS came completely unglued when CR said, "It's a GI Jane joke; that was a nice one!" which I read as, he had picked a rather tame joke compared to where he could have gone.  It completely fits with WS coming out of his seat, and then his tantrum forbidding CR from saying her name. 

Am I the only one who read CR as saying, "Dude, that was tame. It could have been a lot worse?" 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Terabith said:

I saw an interview with the producer of the Oscars, Will Packer, and he said that some people were telling WS to leave, but that he (Packer) intervened and told them that CR would not want WS to be kicked out, that he was not pressing charges and just wanted the show to move on.

Packer did not claim that CR explicitly said "don't kick him out," and I got the impression that it was more the producer's idea, because he didn't want "his" show to be totally derailed, and he was just using "I don't think that's what CR would want" as a convenient excuse. But he did clearly state that there were people telling WS to leave, and that he personally intervened and stopped that. 

So basically, he was told to leave, but then that was overruled and he was told he could stay.

Edited by Corraleno
correction, Packer was the producer, not director
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

I saw an interview with the producer of the Oscars, Will Packer, and he said that some people were telling WS to leave, but that he (Packer) intervened and told them that CR would not want WS to be kicked out, that he was not pressing charges and just wanted the show to move on.

Packer did not claim that CR explicitly said "don't kick him out," and I got the impression that it was more the producer's idea, because he didn't want "his" show to be totally derailed, and he was just using "I don't think that's what CR would want" as a convenient excuse. But he did clearly state that there were people telling WS to leave, and that he personally intervened and stopped that. 

So basically, he was told to leave, but then that was overruled and he was told he could stay.

Ah!  No wonder it's confusing!

• Like 2