Menu

Anyone else feeling the spring cleaning bug?

Carrie12345

I’ve basically been a lump for the past few weeks. Months? Lots of things going on in my brain, but not in my house.  I think (hope?) dd having a friend over for dinner the other night may have shaken me out of it. And thank goodness for sun and warm(ish) weather!

I did about 3 hours of deep cleaning so far this morning and it actually felt good. Which I’m not all that thrilled to be saying, lol.

Spring things I hope to accomplish this week:
- container planting
- breaking down the skeleton of my gazebo for moving
- scrubbing out my outdoor trash cans (indoor ones could use a refresh, too)
- get my last box of not-currently-necessary books packed, which will bring my total to about 800 packed books. Sigh.
- offload the stack of books we’re not taking with us
- wash curtains
- clean windows/sills

I need my winter funk to be gone for good!

• Like 3

It’s amazing how the seasonal depression lifts, isn’t it?!! We are north enough that it affects a lot of people here and EVERYONE is so.much.happier! It’s like a light switch! 

I have been cleaning pretty steadily all winter so that I can get out and do things once spring hit. We spent the weekend dragging out the hiking gear (now that we don’t need ice cleats) and getting ready for a new season. Some of the kids grew enough we need to get them refitted.

• Like 4

Yes! We had sleepover guests last week, and it prompted some big jobs to get finished.

Now the ball is rolling, I’ve been cleaning out curriculum and donating. (Can’t seem to give the stuff away around here, I don’t get it!)

When my mother moved to LTC, I couldn’t face her room, and just closed the door. But yesterday I got started on it. Donating a lot of that stuff, too. Sorting the rest to take to her or save for another time.

• Like 2

I don't even know where yesterday went because it was like one project after another, but it didn't feel like it was taking as long as it was.

I need to remember this and be easier on myself when I can't seem to get off the couch in the dead of winter. Not being motivated in the moment doesn't mean I'll always be that way. 

• Like 2

I've been working on the inside of my house for the last 2 weeks. But now with a week of amazing weather we're focusing on the outside. Over the weekend we pulled up a bunch of plants that had spread too close to the so it would cause the deck to rot and we got a huge garden bed, we didn't use last year, prepared for wildflower planting.

Today we're going to dig out a new garden plot and start the 2 week process of preparing it. Also, starting some seed inside. I love working out in the yard.

We have a lot of outside work for the next few weeks along with finishing the inside work. But with nice weather I'm only focusing on outside

• Like 3

Oh yes. I did a deep clean of the bathrooms, replaced the bedroom rugs, they finally were delivered, and my spouse put a new porcelain deep sink in the laundry room. I noticed this morning that there are bulbs peeking up in my flowerbeds and the lilacs are beginning to show.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Farrar said:

I was motivated to move the bed frame that's been broken into pieces and sitting in the upstairs hallway since New Year's. SO. That was it. That was my spring cleaning. 😂

Whew, that's my kind of spring cleaning!  I was feeling like such a slacker! 

• Thanks 1

We had a lot of unexpected things happen one right after the other and really lost a lot of momentum in renovating our house.  Finally starting to get moving again.  Yesterday, we ripped out some bushes along the front of the house, and pulled up the edging blocks.  Today, we are laying some quarter round downstairs.  I'm not sure how much will get done, but every hour of work done is an hour closer to finished.  I'm going out to buy blinds for the boys' room, and light switch cover things for my dd's room. The current ones are painted sparkly pink and blue.   I would really like to finish painting both of those rooms this week, but I just don't think we can squeeze it in.  My husband plans to switch out 4 light fixtures this week, prep the garage to use the paint sprayer, add dirt and grass seed to the beds where the bushes used to be, and take the bushes and rocks to the dump.  I'm trying to find places for things that are still in boxes, or a least make closet space for the boxes so we don't have to look at them anymore.  Deep cleaning happens here all the time because it seems something major happens that requires it.  Like, scrubbing the walls from mud the dog slung all over, or scrubbing the bathroom after his bath, or scrubbing down the kitchen after someone spills lemonade.  

• Like 2

Yes! It's spring break, so there's a mix of fun and catching up around here. But I have TWO non-regular cleaning tasks on my list. Maybe 3 if you count doing the dog bedding laundry before I mop the floors. But the two are

1) Mop the wood floors (this is happening about 3-4 times per year. We do vacuum them regularly)

2) Spot clean carpets. (no moving furniture--just using the carpet cleaner in the high-traffic areas that really need it).

• Like 1

It is a grey raining day here today, and I don't have motivation to do much at all.  Tomorrow is supposed to be sunny though, so that will be nice.

Just after my middle headed out for boot camp, I got into a big reorganizing phase.  I have changed up where a lot of furniture is placed.  I like to change up furniture placement several times a year, which drives DH batty.  I also finally went through our books and gave a whole bunch to DD to trade in for credit at the bookstore.

I really need to get the downstairs bathroom cleaned, stairs and upstairs vacuumed, and the downstairs floors mopped.  DD is home for spring break and has offered to help out with some of it.

I should also go through the pantry and get it cleaned out and organized. 

I have a whole bunch of stuff that we have collected that needs to get donated.  I just need to find a place to take it all.

I’m enjoying reading where everyone is at, whether full speed or blah,so I won’t feel bad when I eventually have a blah period, lol.

I pulled out the drawer of my oven to clean under there today. Ugh!!! But it’s done!
And I got that last box of books closed up. THAT felt good.

It really helped that dd took the kids out for fresh air and lunch today. I didn’t have to manage school work, and no one was in my way. I may have to bribe her to do it more often!

I'm a terrible housekeeper, and a 1500sq ft home with seven people living in it does not make it easier! I've been trying to keep to regular cleaning schedule, but I'm no good at it and fall off the wagon more often than not. We really could use a deep clean/massive purge around here.

I did manage to throw *all* the snow boots out of the kitchen and into the basement, so they are at least out of the way. Today's regular chores are to change my sheets, do the laundry for me & DH, and clean the 1st floor half bath. If I can get that all done today,I will feel accomplished!

• Like 1

The last 2 weeks have had me throwing/donating everything out. I'm pretty sure my kids and husband are afraid to have messes in fear, I'm going to throw it out. Went through the winter stuff, spring/summer stuff, purged some broken toys and old books, purged my closet. Next up is the outside shed and garage. 

• Like 1

Given that I’m still essentially on couch rest and not yet allowed to do any cleaning at all, I’m just thrilled whenever the cat fur tumbleweeds get vacuumed up and the kitchen is reasonably tidy. I knew going into a surgery with such long recovery time would mean I’d have to accept a different standard of “clean”; thankfully I haven’t had the mental energy for it to matter (yet). Spring cleaning doesn’t even register, maybe I’ll get around to it this summer. Lol

Edited by MEmama

41 minutes ago, MEmama said:

Given that I’m still essentially on couch rest and not yet allowed to do any cleaning at all, I’m just thrilled whenever the cat fur tumbleweeds get vacuumed up and the kitchen is reasonably tidy. I knew going into a surgery with such long recovery time would mean I’d have to accept a different standard of “clean”; thankfully I haven’t had the mental energy for it to matter (yet). Spring cleaning doesn’t even register, maybe I’ll get around to it this summer. Lol

Pretty much the same situation here.  I'm just starting to walk again after foot reconstruction surgery 15 weeks ago.  DH has had been in charge of housework (especially in the first 7 weeks when I wasn't even allowed to walk) and his standards are way lower than mine (and I'm not a clean freak at all) plus he's busy with work and taking care of me and his widowed mom with cancer who recently broke her wrist and then injured her shoulder.  He can only do so much.  Makes me crazy sometimes and I have a lot of catch up cleaning to do but I just have to remind myself that it really doesn't matter...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, happi duck said:

I'm pleased with our progress!  However, we all need a meal and I don't want to switch gears to cooking or fetching takeout.  Maybe we'll just scrounge 🙂

This is the worst part, having to figure out food after a really productive day or stopping to cook then having the kitchen to clean up. 

• Like 1

OMG! My kid abruptly cleaned his room. Like, the whole room. He VACUUMED! With the vacuum. He CHANGED his sheets. I didn't even ask him to. No wonder I don't feel like spring cleaning. All the house spring cleaning energy was magically channeled into a teenage boy. 

• Haha 6

9 minutes ago, Farrar said:

OMG! My kid abruptly cleaned his room. Like, the whole room. He VACUUMED! With the vacuum. He CHANGED his sheets. I didn't even ask him to. No wonder I don't feel like spring cleaning. All the house spring cleaning energy was magically channeled into a teenage boy. 

Hoist up his antenna and point it south, wouldya? 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Grace Hopper said:

If by Spring Cleaning you mean, shovel out every loose item into a dumpster waiting in the driveway… yeah, I have that urge right this minute. I am tired of keeping things tidy, I’m leaning towards just having less things. 

We did that around 5years ago, and it was glorious!!!

• Like 2

I keep looking around and mentally taking note of what needs to be done. However, noting it and being motivated to do anything about it are two very different things. I just don't want to fool with it. Sigh. I really need to thin out belongings a good bit. Especially books. But I love my books. Dh was traveling last week, and I kept thinking that when we are truly empty nest and he retires in a few years, I want a smaller house. Our house is a very pleasant 1800 sq.ft. It's a great house to age in, because there are no steps whatsoever, no basement, easy-care yard, etc. And if we still live here, I seriously doubt we will move. But it is a long way from our older kids and the rest of our family, and if we make it till then, we will want to move. Both here and there are considered LCOL, but housing is more expensive there. So I want less to take care of and clean, less expense in buying, and lower utilities. Even if that doesn't happen though, I need to do some paring down. But the motivation...

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Jaybee said:

I keep looking around and mentally taking note of what needs to be done. However, noting it and being motivated to do anything about it are two very different things. I just don't want to fool with it. Sigh. I really need to thin out belongings a good bit. Especially books. But I love my books. Dh was traveling last week, and I kept thinking that when we are truly empty nest and he retires in a few years, I want a smaller house. Our house is a very pleasant 1800 sq.ft. It's a great house to age in, because there are no steps whatsoever, no basement, easy-care yard, etc. And if we still live here, I seriously doubt we will move. But it is a long way from our older kids and the rest of our family, and if we make it till then, we will want to move. Both here and there are considered LCOL, but housing is more expensive there. So I want less to take care of and clean, less expense in buying, and lower utilities. Even if that doesn't happen though, I need to do some paring down. But the motivation...

Same, Jaybee, same. I still have most of our homeschooling materials and I have zero desire to parent another child to maturity. It all has to go. It's just not something I can deal with/contemplate right now.

• Like 1

Kind of?  We downsized from a 1400 square ft house in September to a 928 square ft apartment, but in May we will be upsizing to 1185 square ft apartment, so it's one more move!  But I want to get rid of excess stuff!  I also love my books, but I found some Clive Cusslers I was willing to let go.

I got rid of 3 CDs yesterday and maybe 6 DVDs.  There's just not much left to get rid of.

I will be cleaning the bathroom tomorrow, and dh vacuums weekly.  So we're pretty good on the actual "clean" front.