Menu

Black Friday shopping was a big dud

Ginevra

Literally came home with three things that fit in my hand and only one was an actual gift, but it is for DS’ birthday a week and a half away. 🤨

I made much more headway online after I had returned home.  I am using Honey on my browser now, so I did get some coupons on things I ordered. 

Maybe I hate shopping IRL anymore. I hate looking around for things; I just want to be taken directly to a page where I can buy a men’s flannel hoodie or whatever. And then I had to pee and I was hungry. 

• Like 13

I’m not a shopper at all, but we did go to a Maker’s Market at a winery/farm because we knew a particular rug artist was going to be there, we both had the day off, and we are slowly trying to finish furnishing our house now that our remodel is almost done. We took our dog and it was a really nice outing. Despite the gloomy weather, it was a beautiful drive through wine country and the the farm had lots of fun areas to explore. It was pretty hilarious to see our old lab encounter alpacas for the first time. And we did buy three small rugs! Now we just need to find four large area rugs.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Quill said:

Literally came home with three things that fit in my hand and only one was an actual gift, but it is for DS’ birthday a week and a half away. 🤨

I made much more headway online after I had returned home.  I am using Honey on my browser now, so I did get some coupons on things I ordered. 

Maybe I hate shopping IRL anymore. I hate looking around for things; I just want to be taken directly to a page where I can buy a men’s flannel hoodie or whatever. And then I had to pee and I was hungry. 

I don’t shop in big retail stores unless it’s a quick in-out for a specific item, no lingering. I would love to find a nice kitschy shop to find some special things. Meh. I only shopped for myself today, online. I needed a new coat so I bought it. I already bought my kids’ gifts and I’ve pawned every other family member off on the kids too. They shop, I pay. Win-win. The only person excepted is DH and I already know what he wants.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

I bought 2 things today. One was full price, and the other was 15% off of my $10 item.  Whoopie Dee Doo. Then they tried to upsell me on some frequent shopper points card club thingy that costs $15 to join. 😩 Ugh, no. 

We are basically done with shopping anyway, but we're just looking in case there was something amazing. Nope. No great deals to be had here.

Edited by MissLemon
  • Like 3

We bought more dinnerware at Macy’s. I have wanted nicer dinnerware now that kids are older. We bought these sets

https://www.macys.com/shop/product/villeroy-boch-new-wave-collection-12-pc.-dinnerware-set-created-for-macys-service-for-4?ID=4344086

https://www.villeroy-boch.com/shop/newwave-sushi-for-two-1025257520.html

https://www.villeroy-boch.com/shop/newwave-caffe-coffee-for-2-1024847262.html

This espresso cup is for me as it was marked down to $3.50 at the Macy’s store (last piece, one of a kind). I have always liked dainty cups.

https://www.villeroy-boch.com/shop/NewMoon-espresso-cup-1042641420.html

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Arcadia said:

We bought more dinnerware at Macy’s. I have wanted nicer dinnerware now that kids are older. We bought these sets

https://www.macys.com/shop/product/villeroy-boch-new-wave-collection-12-pc.-dinnerware-set-created-for-macys-service-for-4?ID=4344086

https://www.villeroy-boch.com/shop/newwave-sushi-for-two-1025257520.html

https://www.villeroy-boch.com/shop/newwave-caffe-coffee-for-2-1024847262.html

This espresso cup is for me as it was marked down to $3.50 at the Macy’s store (last piece, one of a kind). I have always liked dainty cups.

https://www.villeroy-boch.com/shop/NewMoon-espresso-cup-1042641420.html

Those are lovely. I especially like the sushi set. 

• Like 1

@Sneezyone what coat did you buy for yourself?!

I didn’t even attempt to go anywhere, however, I did buy a couple of things online for myself just because they were good prices. One was the cleansing balm I use (marked way down for BF I guess), and the other was some candles I’ve been wanting to try. Has anyone tried Nest New York candles? I got the Holiday scent, supposedly it’s super popular and awesome. I often get headaches with candles, so I’m not holding my breath on this one, but it’s so pretty that I hope it works. 

I went to the mall a few weeks ago because ds11 needed a new dress shirt for an event.  It was an absolutely dismal place.  So many empty shelves and others filled with multiples of the crappiest versions of clothing possible.  In 6 stores, I found a total of ONE dress shirt that would fit him and ONE tie hiding on the rack.

I shudder to think of what it looks like today.  Some things I am buying local, but they are in small, downtown shops.  Black Friday wasn't going to happen here for me.  Nope.  We stayed home, I bought something this morning for ds, still need to go on Etsy for dh. 

2 hours ago, mmasc said:

@Sneezyone what coat did you buy for yourself?!

I didn’t even attempt to go anywhere, however, I did buy a couple of things online for myself just because they were good prices. One was the cleansing balm I use (marked way down for BF I guess), and the other was some candles I’ve been wanting to try. Has anyone tried Nest New York candles? I got the Holiday scent, supposedly it’s super popular and awesome. I often get headaches with candles, so I’m not holding my breath on this one, but it’s so pretty that I hope it works. 

I ended up with two to get free shipping, one heavy and one light for spring/fall. This outrigger fleece-lined coat (no lining in the sleeve) and this heavier one that looks similar to the squall coat (also lands end) that I’ve sadly outgrown. Balaclava coat

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, alisoncooks said:

We are in need of a new tv since ours kicked the bucket on Halloween. DH held out, hoping for some deals…but everywhere  seems to have Black Friday sales all of November. Much of what he was looking at was out of stock by now. Figures. 

Yes, there were Black Friday sales the whole month.  And the prices were much better all month long than they were yesterday. 

• Like 1

I got a really good deal on a Roku ($29) Tuesday on Amazon. Not as a gift, but because one of ours that's several years old was apparently trying to burn our house down. So we lucked into an early Black Friday deal on something we needed. And I ordered me some more socks yesterday at 20 percent off--my annual stocking up on socks day, not really a gift. I'm hoping that'll be the extent of our Black Friday/cyber Monday purchases. 

17 hours ago, alisoncooks said:

We are in need of a new tv since ours kicked the bucket on Halloween. DH held out, hoping for some deals…but everywhere  seems to have Black Friday sales all of November. Much of what he was looking at was out of stock by now. Figures. 

Super Bowl week is the time to purchase a big screen.  Better deals, more quantity.

• Like 1

I was pleasantly surprised that the 2021 Kindle Paperwhite dropped significantly in price.  That was my splurge buy. Everything else was necessary items that I purchased online.  Many had !0%-30% discount.  I have been pleased.  My only brick and mortar shopping has been for groceries.

I did but a few things, in person and online. I never do in person Black Friday sales, but I needed to go to town anyway and it was late morning. I bought equal amounts of things on sale and things full price, nothing big.  Online I did find a deal on the Exploding Minions version of Exploding Kittens that I had been wanting to buy for DS. So that was cool.

We did most of our shopping early online from a variety of companies because we were worried about shipping and low stock issues. But I did need birthday presents for my mom and mom in law since I forgot to take care of that ahead of time. I was able to order them from Kohls on their pre-black Friday sale for curbside pick up at the one closest to me. Thankfully, I had gift bags in my closet. I was happy to not be near any shopping areas yesterday.

10 hours ago, Quill said:

@Arcadia those are very nice. I would like those too. 

I have the opposite requirements for a mug, as I’m always trying to find the biggest one around! 

Beer mug, the ones for A&W root beer float. Anything bigger would be too heavy for me for regular use.

The espresso cup I bought is actually almost identical size as my chinese tea cup. My kids say it would be cultural appropriation if I drink my chinese tea in an espresso cup 🤣

C489F5AB-7332-41DA-BFAF-D68C00237DF0.jpeg

• Haha 1

I've gotten some pretty good deals this week (all online). I got DS two pairs of his favorite Levis for 40% off, and got him some tee shirts, a flannel shirt, and a nice hoodie from Lands End that were 40-50% off. My favorite Lands End tee shirts (100% cotton, 3/4 sleeve, tunic length) were on sale for $8.72, so I grabbed 3 of them plus a pair of Starfish pants that were 50% off. (I never buy anything from Lands End without a coupon for at least 40% off, but the price on those tee shirts is less than half of what I normally pay even with a coupon.)  I also got some nice candles and diffusers for 30% off from Anthropologie.

• Like 2

I picked up a Peanuts gingerbread house kit at Joann's for 50% off. They had quite a few items for 50% off, but all I needed was the kit and some embroidery floss. 

The checkout line was 15 people deep, however. I didn't feel great about waiting with the unmasked masses, so I went back to the car, and bought it online for curbside pickup, lol. 

• Like 1

I never BF shop in person, but did a tiny bit of online shopping over the weekend while the stores were still running “BF sales.” That’s in quotes because the discounts were so underwhelming. Ordered some clothes for the kids, some 50% off Lands End item, and scored a whopping 20% off of a gift we are having made for DS and new DIL.