Menu

Stocking stuffers and small gifts for older boys

DawnM

So far I am getting 

• small waterproof speakers for showers
  • bedroom lights that change colors, etc...cast stars and constellations and such 
  • gift cards
  • the normal socks, underwear, sweat pants, PJ pants, T-shirts
  • body spray/body wash

Give me some other small gift ideas.

• Like 2

Nice mechanical pencils

snacks

pocket knife/multi tool 

Book of Stamps if they write letters (mine does)

Sneaker cleaning kit or shoe polish kit, if they’re into shoes

fast food gift cards

tie pin (ds likes to dress up, he actually asked for this)

extra long phone charging cord

• Like 3

Crazy Aaron’s Thinking Putty has been appreciated throughout the teen & college years.

Silly socks - a family tradition of ours - everyone gets a pair. Silly is in the eye of the beholder. 

Candy from other countries - if you don’t know a world traveler, World Market is a good place to find this.

Something hobby or interest related: art brushes, Star Wars chopsticks, tiny metal models of spaceships or planes, upgraded markers, glow in the dark shoelaces for our runner, flip belts, state or national park camping guide, small bird or plant guides, trail guides, hand warmers, playing cards, popcorn seasoning, special soda, stickers for the laptop cover, magazines about model airplanes or model trains, notepads.

ETA: 

bike repair kit

Phone holder for bike

small first aid kit

bike carry bag 

Edited by TechWife
  • Like 4

Lately it's been snacks. Mine like to hike so they get beef jerky. Also they are into hot sauces, so little bottle for camping. I feel like I've given them all the goofy little gadget toys they could want. Good hiking socks are always appreciated. My youngest told me the other day if all he got was a stocking full of Andes mints he'd be happy. Seriously considering it 🙂

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Earbuds

Starbucks Via packets, bottled/canned drinks (or whatever they like)

Change for vending machines or laundry if they are are in college or have vending machines at a job

Emergency blanket for the car (they have the thin mylar ones, or there are others that are a little more versatile still at a reasonable price point)

Power bank--some double as hand warmers

• Like 2

Thanks.

I do usually get them candy, so I can add that.   Knives and such they have from boyscouts, batteries probably wouldn't be a hit because we have a huge stash in the kitchen closet on a wall rack especially designed for batteries and they can help themselves whenever.

What is a flip belt?

All the cars have emergency blankets and a first aid kit.   And we have more of them in the attic.   

My oldest does love some specialty sodas, so I may order some of those for him.

Sneaker cleaner for 17 year old would be great.

My 21 year old is the hardest to buy for.   He just is a minimalist and doesn't want more stuff and doesn't even use what we do give him.   AND his birthday is in December too.......oy!

Phone cord can always be of use.

Keep the ideas coming!   I will be using this thread!!!!

This is a flip belt - it was made for runners but is helpful in all kinds of situations where you don’t want to carry a lot.  DH puts his ID, a credit card, mask & snacks in his. It has come in handy for sightseeing, at the beach and, in the before times, events like concerts & the state fair. 

https://smile.amazon.com/FlipBelt-Level-Terrain-Waist-Medium/dp/B00JF9DWWU/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?crid=2J0NDZ99TN83G&keywords=flip+belt+for+men&qid=1636556714&qsid=131-7200147-2559241&sprefix=flip+belt%2Caps%2C201&sr=8-3&sres=B00JF9DWWU%2CB01CGXUQHA%2CB08HPMG6LM%2CB07SDSMPQS%2CB017WTPEIO%2CB06ZZPHQSV%2CB077ZNWP1H%2CB07G7M6VVB%2CB01LYZE4UB%2CB01J6JMGSO%2CB019BQNTL0%2CB0711Y2XVL%2CB088BDJN5M%2CB079DVMJKQ&srpt=WAIST_PACK

• Like 2

Is there a magazine that they would like? Maybe hit Barnes and Noble and browse the racks — roll it up and put it in the stocking.

Beanie hat - nice one. 

Water bottles or any nice to-go cups get a lot of use here. If you go with warm drinks you can throw in a Starbucks card.

• Like 1

No magazines.   They could use new beanie hats probably.   They have lots of water bottles and coffee travel mugs from scouting days.   Starbucks card for 2 of them would be good.  THey have the super soft blankets.

Maybe my kids just have too much stuff already.  😝

• Haha 3

Scratch off lottery tickets?  It's hard when they are at that age and still living at home.  With my adult kids I can give them practical stuff in their stockings now that they appreciate because they don't have to buy those items themselves then but it's different when they are home and don't need those things.  

ETA - how about small ornaments? 

Edited by Kassia
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, DawnM said:

My 21 year old is the hardest to buy for.   He just is a minimalist and doesn't want more stuff and doesn't even use what we do give him.   AND his birthday is in December too.......oy!

Both of mine are born in December. DS16 would just want cake, supermarket gift cards and Starbucks gift cards.  What he does use and is small enough for stocking stuffers are flash drives and powerbanks.  When our network printer does not want to print from Windows, it would still happily print from flash drives.

What is too big to be a stocking stuffer but something he asked for and is now using is a laptop riser. Saved him from back and neck pain hunching over his laptop. This is the laptop riser we bought and it helps keep his laptop cooler too. https://www.amazon.com/Compatible-Boyata-Foldable-Heat-Vent-Adjustable/dp/B07HBQSCM3?th=1

• Like 2

some that my DS18, DS15, and DH are getting this year or have received in past years...

t-shirts 

ethernet switch

new mousepad

laptop cleaner/brush

guitar stuff: strings, new picks, pick case, finger strengthener/stretcher, brass slide, wall hanger, wireless receiver

mechanical colored pencil set (have bought very nice regular mechanical pencil set in past years, and I like to buy a colored set for each kid for geometry)

keychain

stickers (DS18 says he wants to "sticker bomb" his desk. I guess that's a thing? LOL)

small planter

new kinds of Rubik's cube like puzzles (DS18 collects these.)

light kits for LEGO sets already built and displayed (These are perfect stocking size items.)

SD cards

Funko Pops of favorite characters

new phone case

hot sauce

furikake

new belt

books

Also, canned air and Windex electronics wipes were a big hit last year. 

• Like 2

When they were little it was easy, just toys and legos.

When they were a bit older it was easy, they just wanted scouting and camping supplies......hammock, knives, backpacks, hiking boots, etc.....

It is so much harder now.

21 year old does play guitar, so maybe a gift card to guitar center???   Or Amazon for whatever he needs for his guitar.

Keep the ideas coming.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Alte Veste Academy said:

stickers (DS18 says he wants to "sticker bomb" his desk. I guess that's a thing? LOL)

Of course "sticker bomb" is a thing. I have seen so many car windows being "sticker bomb" by kids.  Trader Joe's cashiers would give out stickers to kids and my kids used to stick them on their car seats. I have seen car bumpers plastered with stickers too.  My teens' desks have lots of fridge magnets for decorations as they realized sticker residue is not as fun to clean off.

• Like 2

LED flashlight, they make some nice pocket size ones. Very handy. 

Bertie is Every Flavor Beans

Glow in the dark shoes laces.

I kid you not, I have three boys in their twenties and they still like silly string, and will go outside and have silly string wars! We've been known to go outside, pull up a chair, and watch the hijinks.

Audible credits

• Like 6

5 hours ago, DawnM said:

Does he live at home? Either way, my minimalist D has liked the bamboo utensil set we purchased for her. Or what about a stainless straw? A travel toiletry bag? Cologne? Paracord bracelet?

• Like 3

Hand tools? 
When our guys were young, we got them each a toolbox for Christmas and every year they get a new tool in their stocking. It’s not the most exciting gift on Christmas morning but I think they’ll appreciate it when they move out. Hammer, wrenches, screwdrivers, tape measure, carabiners, ropes, multi-tool gadgets, etc.  

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, theelfqueen said:

So far in my kiddo's stockings this year:

Card Games

Keyboard putty

Nintendo Gift Card

Small D&D accessories

Ornaments

Marvel blind packs

multi tool shaped like a snowflake

poppy fidgets

I bought that snowflake multi tool for my son. I was impressed with the quality. Also thx for the keyboard putty recc. That’s cool. I see it can also be used for car vents. 

• Like 2

@theelfqueen

Thanks for the keyboard putty suggestion! I had no idea this product existed! Just ordered some for everyone's stockings!

So far for the teen and young adult guys stockings this year I have:

Fun socks

Chocolate orange

Pack of nuts

Pack of wet wipes (always useful to stash in the car or backpack)

Definitely need more ideas for this year!

Past years stuffers:

Car air freshener

Tire pressure gauge

Keychains

Post-it notes

Sharpies

Travel-sized toiletries

• Like 2

Couple of years ago I got everyone PACK O Games ...

Like this but there are several - they are literally the size of a pack of gum.

Pack O Game - ORC https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B072W6GYSX/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apan_glt_fabc_80W796CDTGZ4TC7AW93Y

Card games like Love Letter

Love Letter | New Bag Edition | 2-6 Players | 20 Minutes Playing Time | Super Fun Party Card Game https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07PHHBWM9/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apan_glt_fabc_M6NR3Y8WWXRQPFBEDTY7

Or chrononauts (many types just bought the star trek one for DIL who is a new trekkie)

Looney Labs Early American Chrononauts https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00H54D7H2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apan_glt_fabc_7DJ1WPTQ5WEMZ6N61JRB

Sushi Go

Sushi Go! - The Pick and Pass Card Game https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00J57VU44/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apan_glt_fabc_TM9WVS0R85K2WF0SZW5M

Timeline (again many varieties available) 

Zygomatic Timeline Classic (Eco-Blister), Various (TIEC03) https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B08FXSBPWQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apan_glt_fabc_J4G47G680V18NE16SGYC

• Like 3

Search amazon for "water bottle stickers" and your kid's fandom of choice. 

The Legend of Zelda Stickers for Water Bottles,Gaming Stickers Decals for Laptop Cups Tumbler Bike Car Guitar Motorcycle Bumper Luggage Skateboard, Best Gift for Kids Teen Birthday Party (Zelda) https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B083YZPHLK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apan_glt_fabc_4FQ0R3V2GNJWMMR0C67V?psc=1

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DawnM said:

When they were little it was easy, just toys and legos.

When they were a bit older it was easy, they just wanted scouting and camping supplies......hammock, knives, backpacks, hiking boots, etc.....

It is so much harder now.

21 year old does play guitar, so maybe a gift card to guitar center???   Or Amazon for whatever he needs for his guitar.

Keep the ideas coming.

How about a replacement set of guitar strings? Personalized picks? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I bought these silly phone holders a few years back for stockings - DS16 still uses his

HONSKY 3361942 Cute Thumbs Up Adjustable Tpu Flexible Mobile Cell Phone Tablet Computer Display Stand Holder for Bed Desk - Blue and Black https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00UKXP6Y2/ref=cm_sw_r_awdo_navT_g_FQQF02CQQW0MM11V9VTR

And  these little cord tie things are endlessly useful

Nite Ize Original Gear Tie, Reusable Rubber Twist Tie, 3-Inch, Assorted Colors, 24 Count Pro Pack, Made in the USA https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00SHBMT1C/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apan_glt_fabc_BFWTVCZMTH5HVVTTFXQQ

Edited by theelfqueen
  • Like 1

Unlock games ( the singles not the three packs) would fit in a stocking

UNLOCK! The island of Doctor Goorse https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01MY0GD0S/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apan_glt_fabc_CY8D61NRQ5QY4M15BH2A

I got these magnet wristbands for both DH and my Dad last year and they both use them

Limited-time deal: Tools Gifts For Men Magnetic Wristband - 2 PACK Christmas Stocking Stuffers for Dad Women, 15 Super Strong Magnet Cool Gadgets Mens Gift Ideas, Wrist Tool Belt Set Holder for Holding Screw, Drill Bit https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07QZHC7VP/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apan_glt_fabc_dl_3K30N2FGYR6XC54PAJ3R?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, WildflowerMom said:

Fitness dice

Watch

$10-15 giftcards: Wendy’s, Chick-fil-A, firehouse, etc. 

Gas giftcard

Vehicle trash bag

Vehicle air freshener tree

Dude wipes

What are fitness dice? Are they like the dinner dice that were mentioned last year that I got for my husband?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, DawnM said:

So far I am getting 

• small waterproof speakers for showers
  • bedroom lights that change colors, etc...cast stars and constellations and such 
  • gift cards
  • the normal socks, underwear, sweat pants, PJ pants, T-shirts
  • body spray/body wash

Give me some other small gift ideas.

Where did you find this? That might work for my tween...

• Like 1