Menu

Kids' Covid Shot advice (pro-vax)

Xahm

I have been asked to show proof of vaccination (at a school), but I would highly encourage my kid to stay in the study and take the letter.  It might cause some hiccups, but it would be worth it, I think, to just deal with them and explain that your kids were part of the study.  Plus, it's a pretty cool piece of history for them later and to show their kids.

• Like 3

We have been asked for proof of vaccination for almost all my teen's activities this fall.  So the proof of vax thing may depend on your location.  But I don't think having a different proof of vax would be a problem at all. 

I would do the study probably if all is looking good.  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, HomeAgain said:

I have been asked to show proof of vaccination (at a school), but I would highly encourage my kid to stay in the study and take the letter.  It might cause some hiccups, but it would be worth it, I think, to just deal with them and explain that your kids were part of the study.  Plus, it's a pretty cool piece of history for them later and to show their kids.

Yes, they like the money aspect of the study, but they also feel pretty proud of their participation. We've framed wearing masks as "doing our part" to help fight a terrible problem, and they feel like this is part of that, but a bigger deal.

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, MooCow said:

I agree. My youngest got the vaccine and has the card, but it wasn't necessary when we flew recently. Around here where I live, no one cares about any vaccine cards or anything because he's not old enough to go into bars or anything.

I did a laugh reaction because I laughed thinking about my little ones trying to use a vaccine card to sneak into a bar. It would have to be one of those sit-com things with one kid on the other's shoulders, wearing a trench coat and fake mustache. 

• Haha 6

We have had to show my teen's vaccine cards for every activity they have been in this year.  A lot.  And over and over.  Say for mountain biking show it each race everyday.  Or dance show it for this show.  THen this audition that is later.  And on and on and on.    Everything is asking for their card.   I think you can also do a negative test within 72 hours.  Not sure on that though if you are of age to be vaccinated. 

Edited by mommyoffive
  • Like 1

I'd definitely stick with the study, and just have your pediatrician record the immunization details in the kids' medical charts. A letter from a pediatrician is the standard proof for childhood vaccines accepted by schools and other other organizations. As time goes on, plenty of people are going to lose their original CDC card and rely on medical records, so I wouldn't worry about that at all.

• Like 6

I can't imagine that it would be a problem to have documentation that looks different than the traditional CDC card.  But, I am wondering why you would not be able to get the information recorded on a CDC card simply because they were part of a study.  Is there some reason that isn't possible?

I can’t find my card and I’m supposed to use a printout from my state’s janky looking website.  (It’s awesome they have our info available online, but the website looks like *I* programmed it in 1997…)  I’m sure your letter will look way more official.  People are going to have all sorts of things!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Corraleno said:

I'd definitely stick with the study, and just have your pediatrician record the immunization details in the kids' medical charts. A letter from a pediatrician is the standard proof for childhood vaccines accepted by schools and other other organizations. As time goes on, plenty of people are going to lose their original CDC card and rely on medical records, so I wouldn't worry about that at all.

This is a great suggestion, I would do this.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Corraleno said:

X2- My teen needed COVID vaccination documentation for college and was able to just send one form from the pediatrician with all the shots listed.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Xahm said:

Yes, they like the money aspect of the study, but they also feel pretty proud of their participation. We've framed wearing masks as "doing our part" to help fight a terrible problem, and they feel like this is part of that, but a bigger deal.

Very, very cool irl civics lesson! Good job, mama! 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I would keep them in the study. Odds are we will be getting boosters at a certain interval forever more, and at some point in the future, I might cross brand pair with Pfizer, but the adult moderna studies look promising.

My family members (university verification, work verification, kid schools) have all had their vax records verified through the state database. We haven’t had to show cards except for me—in getting my third dose. I also had to show proof from my rheumatologist that I qualified for a third dose (this was before boosters). 

• Like 1

If your kids want to stay in, and you don't feel like it's dangerous, I would keep them in.

Two of my daughters participated in a medical research study a few years ago.  (It was concerning their birth defect.)

They were really excited about being part of research that might help them, or other kids with the same defect, or even their own future children.

For their participation, they were given a free trip to San Francisco and a cash stipend which we took to the American Girl store.  

• Like 2