Menu

Your favorite cheer up movie

TexasProud

Legally Blonde 
Clueless
Midnight in Paris (the only Woody Allen movie I've ever liked)
The Joss Whedon version of Much Ado About Nothing.
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Mamma Mia or Singing in the Rain if I'm in the mood for a cheer up musical.
The Blues Brothers if I want music AND a laugh.

Not a movie but I also love the miniseries Lost in Austen. I think it's still on Hulu.

• Like 1

Austenland (2013)
Enchanted April (1991)
In a World (2013)
Secret Life of Walter Mitty (2013)
Arranged (2007)
Logan Lucky (2017)
Paterson (2016)
Miss Congeniality (2000)
Babbette's Feast (1987)
Singin' in the Rain (1952)
Arabian Nights (2000)
Spirited Away (2001)
Yellow Submarine (1968)
Help! (1965)

And, of course, some of the specific TV or film versions of Jane Austen. 😉 

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Lady Florida. said:

I love Enchanted April, the book and the movie. Both are lovely.

Paterson is my hometown though I haven't lived there since I was 13. I only saw the movie once.

Enchanted April, along with  Austenland and In a World, are my hands-down go-to movies that make me feel better when I need "comfort food" films. 😍

The movie Paterson made me fall in love with Adam Driver as an actor. Such a gentle, lovely film about a gentle, lovely young married couple.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Loowit said:

The Princess Bride YESSSSS!!!! How could I have forgotten this one.

Star Wars (Original Trilogy) The only decent ones in my opinion, but yes. So many memories of standing in line three different times to see the original Star Wars in elementary school. It is the only movie I've ever seen more than once in a movie theater. 

6 minutes ago, WildflowerMom said:

You've Got Mail 

Yeah, I love Meg Ryan and Tom Hanks, but I found both Sleepless in Seattle and You've Got Mail really boring.  If I remember correctly, I fell asleep during You've Got Mail.

So now I have to ask, ( No judgement!!!) what is it about this movie that makes it a comfort one for you? Special memory?  

11 minutes ago, Loowit said:

The Princess Bride

How could I forget that one??!! Our family quotes from it often (along with the Monty Python one).

I'm going to have to look for the Ciaran Hynes version of Persuasion. That's my favorite Austen novel. I'm not usually happy with adaptations of Austen books. The only one I really like is Emma with Romola Garai and Jonny Lee Miller.

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, TexasProud said:

Yeah, Legally Blonde is one of my faves in that genre. Been awhile since I've seen Sweet Home Alabama. Definitely putting it into the queue.  Thanks!

So many favorite parts of Sweet Home Alabama. When she asks if the dog can swim, and he says, "doesn't look like it". When the "you've gotta baby...in a bar" and her friend replies, "this ones still on the tit so I can take her anywhere" (that WAS my life, lol). And "Why you make me be mean to you?" which I say to my dogs all the time, lol. 

22 minutes ago, TexasProud said:

Yeah, I love Meg Ryan and Tom Hanks, but I found both Sleepless in Seattle and You've Got Mail really boring.  If I remember correctly, I fell asleep during You've Got Mail.

So now I have to ask, ( No judgement!!!) what is it about this movie that makes it a comfort one for you? Special memory?  

Same, I love both those actors a LOT, but not in those movies. I think I also fell asleep in You've Got Mail. Meg Ryan in that movie where she is a teacher in a rough school? Loved her in that (and wanted her hair style). 

Just now, AmandaVT said:

Twister (I have to stop and watch if I see it on), Lord of the Rings, Star Trek (Next Generation Era), Rear Window, Independence Day - I'm sure I have a few others that I can't think of right now.

oh yeah, love Independence Day and Twister!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

Oh, wrong time of year for it, but White Christmas. It's just a cozy fun one with lots of singing and dancing. And the whole feel good helping thing...love it. 

Yep. One of the ones we watch every Christmas… or should I say my daughter and I do.  The boys often  opt out .  🤣🤣🤣

Cloud Atlas is one of my favorite movies. (and books). It’s not always happy, in fact it has a lot of dark elements to it but it’s overall message is one of hope.

favorite quotes:

Haskell Moore: No matter what you do it will never amount to anything more than a single drop in a limitless ocean. Adam Ewing: What is an ocean but a multitude of drops?

Sonmi-451: Our lives are not our own, we are bound to others, past and present. And by each crime and every kindness, we birth our future.

Edited by Wishes

1 hour ago, Lori D. said:

MUCH better is the original 1940s The Shop Around the Corner -- You've Got Mail is a pale, boring remake next to the original. JMO. 😉 

Jimmy Stewart.. ...  Sold. I will definitely check this one out! I love Jimmy Stewart.  I cannot remember the boardie that recommended that half an hour Christmas movie this past year that had the Tabernacle Choir in it.  Oh my goodness, I bawled like a baby. Such a great actor.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Carol in Cal. said:

Also, Ghostbusters

Yeah, this was a huge parenting fail that my kids will not let me forget.  I remembered Ghostbusters fondly. Kept telling my teens they had to see this move. So one day we watched it.  Well, it wasn't that great and I fell asleep only to wake up to my daughter and middle child shrieking at the oral s-- scene." MOM...why in the world did you let us watch this movie... How did you think it was appropriate???"

So now, when I wax nostalgic over some 80's movie that was so good, they ask if it is as good as Ghostbusters...  LOL.  It is a big family joke here.

• Haha 6

6 minutes ago, alisoncooks said:

This is on Disney+. I loved this when I was young. 😄

I may have to try it. My memory from when it came out is that it was awful, but I was in college, so I don't think I actually saw it, just heard that.  May have to give it a try!

OOOh!  Yes!!!  Which Father of the Bride? I adore the Steve Martin version.  The Colin Firth Pride and Prejudice by any chance?

Now Elf. Just no.  I know a lot of people really like it, but I couldn't stand it. Sorry!!!

Sandra Bullock is adorable in several movies, like the one where she is a beauty contestant.  That one was really funny.