Menu

Update People on Hive Advice You Followed

JumpyTheFrog

3 hours ago, rebcoola said:

Yeah that probably would have worked when I was 19 if I had rested.  Instead it was massage, stretch, shot go do sport, heat therapy, stretch, night splints do it all again the next day.  I can keep it under control now with stretching, rollering and good shoes.

Forgive me for being ultimately in your case and perhaps the advice is "obvious?" I don't know.

I did a taste of just how messed up Plantar fasciitis can be. Ouch! And having one's feet cramped up makes one feel unsteady and vulnerable. Hated that.

And thank you @Carol in CA for the tips about the greater thread.

Bill

Edited by Spy Car
  • Like 1

My older boy is at MIT because of this board and all the advice I have gotten over the years. @Kathy in Richmond introduced us to math competitions, which are not a thing here and I had never heard of them. And I learned about AoPS from this board, which was a life changer for my older. @regentrude helped me for months to figure out how to make sense of my boys mostly unschooled education and write all the homeschool documentation. MIT has been a profoundly positive experience for him, and I will be eternally grateful. 

• Like 15

3 hours ago, Not_a_Number said:

And many thanks to @lewelma for suggesting the "Explosive Child" book -- we are just starting to try some of the techniques and they've definitely been helpful. I am embarrassed to admit that I was reluctant to try it because DD8 isn't explosive, per se... but apparently it is just as helpful with kids who are quietly and inflexibly obstinate 😉 . 

I'm so glad you like it! I used it on my explosive older, but also for my high EQ inflexible younger. I learned about it here, and it changed the way I parent. Huge win for our family.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, popmom said:

I got a steam cleaner after @Spy Car’s thread. It’s a Karcher, and it’s amazing. And I think my propane weed torch came from his recommendation, too! 😂

I better get credit for the flamethrower!!! LOL. The funnest plaything ever :tongue:

🔥 🔥 🔥

Bill

• Haha 6

10 hours ago, Quill said:

I will forever be grateful that I got most of my “this coronavirus thing might become a pandemic” information here, months before people locally were paying attention. It is literally the reason I had four cloth masks, a bottle of sanitizer, toilet paper, a pulse oximeter and a packet of travel wipes. It may also be the reason I did not contract COVID, even when I had a COVID+ husband. 

As far as updating past threads, I recently received in the mail the Mother-of-Bride dress I discussed here and for which I got a hundred suggestions. I hate it. It’s going back. So I am more or less back to the drawing board. (I do have another dress I might try but it does not have each detail I wanted. ) 

Can you link the one you are sending back?

1 hour ago, lewelma said:

I'm so glad you like it! I used it on my explosive older, but also for my high EQ inflexible younger. I learned about it here, and it changed the way I parent. Huge win for our family.

that book changed my parenting too, and not just for the one explosive kid. It really helps me be a better listener so that my kids feel that I'm on their side. And yes, I sometimes pull the mom card and ask them to please do x y z because it's important to me, but man, it changes the relationship when you take the time to hear them out, even if you both disagree. 

• Like 6

13 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

So much great advice from the Hive, particularly on gifted and LD issues, and Third Culture Kid stuff.  

Can you point me in the direction of Third Culture Kid Stuff on these boards?  I haven’t found em yet and I’m a TCK homeschooling my littles in America and was homeschooled by my mom in Africa. 

4 hours ago, Scarlett said:

Can you link the one you are sending back?

https://www.jjshouse.com/Sheath-Column-Scoop-Neck-Knee-Length-Satin-Lace-Mother-Of-The-Bride-Dress-With-Sequins-008217310-g217310

This is going back. 

This is close to what I want. The neckline is exactly what I want and I want this color/fabric. But I dont want such a long/full length and I dont think that little cascade piece adds anything. https://www.macys.com/shop/product/sl-fashions-beaded-halter-glitter-gown?ID=12306744&CategoryID=5449

I am considering this one: it is the right color and they have my size available. https://www.macys.com/shop/product/nightway-embellished-mesh-gown?ID=11921452&CategoryID=5449

Edited by Quill
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Quill said:

https://www.jjshouse.com/Sheath-Column-Scoop-Neck-Knee-Length-Satin-Lace-Mother-Of-The-Bride-Dress-With-Sequins-008217310-g217310

This is going back. 

This is close to what I want. The neckline is exactly what I want and I want this color/fabric. But I dont want such a long/full length and I dont think that little cascade piece adds anything. https://www.macys.com/shop/product/sl-fashions-beaded-halter-glitter-gown?ID=12306744&CategoryID=5449

I am considering this one: it is the right color and they have my size available. https://www.macys.com/shop/product/nightway-embellished-mesh-gown?ID=11921452&CategoryID=5449

What did you hate about the one you are sending back? Just curious.  

Of the two others you linked, I love the first one.  I even like the cascade......the second one I like ok, but not near as much as the first.  

I went to a wedding this past weekend and the MOB wore something similar to the second. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Quill said:

Can you order them both and see which one you like best "in person"? (I hate ordering and sending back, but this is a special occasion!) I like the elegance of the second one.

As to the OP, well, so many many things. To get started:

Speed Queen washer and dryer. Concept 2 rower. Numerous small kitchen items. Numerous recipes. @Catwomangave me the courage to use American School for one ds; it was perfect for him (but not at all for the next one, ha, which leads me to "teach the child you have"). Numerous curriculum ideas--some worked marvelously and some didn't, lol, but the ones that did made it worth the ones that didn't. Covid info. Information on all kinds of random and non-random things that I sometimes share with my family and friends. Meaningful conversations, even though some of them I just listen to. People I care about even though I've never met them in person.

So yeah, a big thanks to you all.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Suggested brand? We put gravel into a bit of our landscaping and weed seeds have blown in and grown. Would a torch be a good application for this type of problem? 

Harbor Freight. Greenwood brand. They have two models. One with a starter built in (more expensive) and one w/o. Both are equal otherwise. If you get the one w/o a starter get a welding sparker for $3 and attach it to the propane tank. Prices are up a little at the moment $25/$35. 

I got mine to burn out tough to pick weeds in my gravel paths. Being really fun and being the best tool to char steaks cooked sous vide were nice side benefits. Thinking about it, I do more charring than weed burning (but definitely great for gravel paths).

Just don't burn the house down.

https://www.harborfreight.com/search?q=weed burning torch

Bill

Edited by Spy Car
  • Thanks 1

@prairiewindmomma My goodness...look what I found on Amazon. 

A Red Dragon 100,000-BTU weed burner. Gets to 2,000 degrees f. OMG! 

Get one of these and I'll be envious (and more than a little scared for you). Seriously can't imagine. LOL.

Bill

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00004Z2FP?linkCode=ogi&tag=bp-lift-20&ascsubtag=[artid|2089.a.33107924[src|arb_ga_bp_d_bm_a33107924[ch|373092456ed51560dc520b6f039632fa[lt|

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, AngelaR said:

Can you point me in the direction of Third Culture Kid Stuff on these boards?  I haven’t found em yet and I’m a TCK homeschooling my littles in America and was homeschooled by my mom in Africa. 

I'm  sorry, it was all so long ago. If you ask a question,  I'm sure you will get some responses.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Spy Car said:

Get one of these and I'll be envious (and more than a little scared for you). Seriously can't imagine. LOL.

Bill

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00004Z2FP?linkCode=ogi&tag=bp-lift-20&ascsubtag=[artid|2089.a.33107924[src|arb_ga_bp_d_bm_a33107924[ch|373092456ed51560dc520b6f039632fa[lt|

Good grief! I have the RedDragon but it’s just 25,000 btus! 

Honestly, anything more is just a waste of propane! 🙂

11 hours ago, Jaybee said:

Can you order them both and see which one you like best "in person"? (I hate ordering and sending back, but this is a special occasion!) I like the elegance of the second one.

Yes; I have considered doing this. 

12 hours ago, Scarlett said:

What did you hate about the one you are sending back? Just curious.  

Of the two others you linked, I love the first one.  I even like the cascade......the second one I like ok, but not near as much as the first.  

I went to a wedding this past weekend and the MOB wore something similar to the second. 

It fit poorly and was thus unflattering. Also, the lace parts were made of a scratchy, terrible fabric. You can order these dresses with custom measurements, but then they are not returnable at all. 
So I took a chance on standard sizing because I am pretty close to standard for a six. But it was baggy and gappy on the torso and it just looked wide. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

2000F makes me worry about the gravel exploding. Any bit of moisture trapped in the rock would just instantly boil and poof!

I was wondering if the gravel might turn to glass. LOL.

The one from Harbor Freight...like most of their stuff...is inexpensive and adequate. Nothing special. Until you use it. Then OMG. Plenty of power.

I have used the Greenwood on my gravel paths for years now. It sure beats trying to dig weeds out between gravel and rocks.

Bill

6 hours ago, popmom said:

Good grief! I have the RedDragon but it’s just 25,000 btus! 

Honestly, anything more is just a waste of propane! 🙂

I can't imagine using 100,000 BTU (unless one was trying to smelt iron or something). Supreme over-kill I'd think.

I wonder how a steak charred with 100,000 BTUs @2000 degrees f would turn out?

Bill

• Haha 3

47 minutes ago, Spy Car said:

I can't imagine using 100,000 BTU (unless one was trying to smelt iron or something). Supreme over-kill I'd think.

I wonder how a steak charred with 100,000 BTUs @2000 degrees f would turn out?

Bill

Charred

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Spy Car said:

Bill

I want this so badly!! What would dh say, though? I guess I know. 😜

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PeppermintPattie said:

I want this so badly!! What would dh say, though? I guess I know. 😜

I suspect he'd say, "I love the smell of napalm in the morning" :tongue:

And/or: "I'd marry you all over again." LOL.

Bill

Edited by Spy Car
  • Haha 5

I recently posted about my dd not being able to find a job after applying to several places with “now hiring” signs.  Yesterday she got a call to come interview at the place she worked last summer.  The interview was really a formality.  I’m so thankful she finally has a job at a good place to work.

• Like 10

7 hours ago, Spy Car said:

Less than a minute later:

Because we can :tongue:

Bill

g7GvUGm.jpg

Edited by Spy Car
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 4

4 hours ago, athena1277 said:

I recently posted about my dd not being able to find a job after applying to several places with “now hiring” signs.  Yesterday she got a call to come interview at the place she worked last summer.  The interview was really a formality.  I’m so thankful she finally has a job at a good place to work.

My kid has been looking at getting his first job. Tough to go long and not hear or have them say no. And nice to score a good one. Congratulations!

Bill

• Like 1

I have thought about this before. Besides the thread where I asked for advice on long-lasting nail polish, and bought some Essie polish, which I really like and am slowly building a collection of,  I have been influenced to get an Instant pot. I’ve read many books I otherwise might not have ( most recently What is a Girl Worth? by Rachel Denhollander). I bought Suave Clarifying shampoo for my teen’s greasy hair just yesterday. I bought Magic Eraser to clean my shower (and it worked!). I can’t even think of all the recipes I’ve tried because someone linked them. Really, I have found the consumer advice here pretty spot on, though the curriculum advice was more hit and miss.

Also, after asking for advice on stainless steel cookware, I bought the stainless steel pans that @gardenmom5 recommended from Cuisinart (which line I can’t remember). So far I love them. I don’t love the way my kids haven’t mastered cleaning them, but I love cooking with them. 

• Like 2

And I was another who had enough toilet paper to last through the panic because I read about shortages well before they hit my area and I picked up one extra family size package on my next shopping trip. It made the next month or so much less nerve wracking for me.

• Like 3

On 5/24/2021 at 7:26 PM, Corraleno said:

And the most recent recommendation I followed up on was Skywards suggestion of GT Mystic Mango kombucha in the fermented foods thread  — I was not a kombucha fan before but I bought a bottle of this to try yesterday, and it's really good!

HAH a convert! That stuff is dangerously good, I'm glad you enjoyed it 🙂 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Emba said:

And I was another who had enough toilet paper to last through the panic because I read about shortages well before they hit my area and I picked up one extra family size package on my next shopping trip. It made the next month or so much less nerve wracking for me.

Me, too. We were set on the TP and groceries well before the shut down, thanks to the big thread here. Not hoarder level, but enough to last through the first wave of shut downs and shortages until supply levels normalized a bit.

• Like 2

Way back when, I bought a Family Grain Mill and Bosch Universal mixer (the old one) due to reviews from the hive. 

Tramontina cookware.  Silpat.  Kindle.  The Instantpot saved my life the winter our kitchen was torn apart. 

I think I will try some Vionics to see if they help my plantar fasciitis, and I'll check out the Affinity software while I'm at it.

Can't say I'm entirely enamored with the Dupray Steam Cleaner, though.  It seems to require just as much elbow grease to clean the walls as if I just used a bucket of hot soapy water with some vinegar.

• Like 1

On 5/26/2021 at 4:07 PM, Spy Car said:

My kid has been looking at getting his first job. Tough to go long and not hear or have them say no. And nice to score a good one. Congratulations!

Bill

My kid just got a rejection email for an online application for Panda Express. She applied a year ago, and has been working in her current job (not at Panda) for almost a year. She's glad she didn't wait to hear back from them...😆

• Haha 6

I finally have something recent to add to this thread. I had asked about good beach day items like chairs and cabanas. Someone recommend the Cool Cabana. I was super hesitant about the price. Yesterday was our first beach day with the new cabana. Oh my word was it easy going up and it was just as each coming down. I ordered their larger size and I'm glad I did. It was perfect for 3 adults and 2 small ones. I was almost too cool underneath it because it did it's job blocking the sun so well. 10 out of 10 for the Cool Cabana.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/25/2021 at 9:16 PM, Spy Car said:

Harbor Freight. Greenwood brand. They have two models. One with a starter built in (more expensive) and one w/o. Both are equal otherwise. If you get the one w/o a starter get a welding sparker for $3 and attach it to the propane tank. Prices are up a little at the moment $25/$35. 

I got mine to burn out tough to pick weeds in my gravel paths. Being really fun and being the best tool to char steaks cooked sous vide were nice side benefits. Thinking about it, I do more charring than weed burning (but definitely great for gravel paths).

Just don't burn the house down.

https://www.harborfreight.com/search?q=weed burning torch

Bill

I bought this finally, @Spy Car, and it is glorious. It is also so loud all of the neighbors to ooh and aah as we used it. Literally, one neighbor got a step stool  to stand and watch over the fence!!

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

I bought this finally, @Spy Car, and it is glorious. It is also so loud all of the neighbors to ooh and aah as we used it. Literally, one neighbor got a step stool  to stand and watch over the fence!!

The entertainment value is not to be underestimated :tongue:

Have fun. Don't burn the house down.

Bill