Menu

And now, there's an airbnb next door. Update in first post.

I talk to the trees

Update: I spoke with our city's zoning office today. Airbnb’s are not allowed in the city. The official I spoke to said that they had to open an investigation, and that nothing would probably happen before next week, but that it would absolutely be shut down. I was also able to voice my concerns about potential financial abuse of my widow neighbor. I checked the city GIS and found that the home is still in the widow's name, which means these yahoos were operating an illegal business from a home that isn’t even theirs!  What a relief! I have had enough crazy in the past couple of weeks to last the entirety of 2021. Reading my posts from the last week, I’m beginning to wonder if I should report myself as a troll! 

This is a JAWM.

I do not want to live next to a revolving door of  parties and vacationers bringing heaven only knows what from heaven only knows where during a FREAKING PANDEMIC. I tethered myself to a mortgage because I wanted to live in a neighborhood with, you know, neighbors who live normal lives and aren’t whooping it up every night because they are “on vacation.”  Yeah, sure, I can call the authorities, but the authorities are going to get mighty tired of hearing from the same person over and over and over. If I wanted to live next to this garbage, I would have bought a house next to a Holiday Inn. These things should be illegal in an area zoned residential.(<- Yup, right there, that’s the JAWM bit.) What makes the whole mess even worse is that the lovely-and quite independent- older widow  who lived there was pretty much run out of the house and into an apartment (very much against her will, as it is a far more unsafe place for her to be during this pandemic) by her stepsons who just wanted the $$ for the house.

Somebody tell me things will be ok. This is just the icing on top of a giant anxiety and depression cake that has been baking for a very long time, and I’m not sure I can cope. I have exactly zero optimism left. There is no joy in anything, and it’s a struggle to get through the day without melting into a puddle of tears.. And now this? I can’t. I just can’t. 

Edited by I talk to the trees
  • Like 4
  • Sad 32

16 minutes ago, I talk to the trees said:

This is a JAWM.

I do not want to live next to a revolving door of  parties and vacationers bringing heaven only knows what from heaven only knows where during a FREAKING PANDEMIC. I tethered myself to a mortgage because I wanted to live in a neighborhood with, you know, neighbors who live normal lives and aren’t whooping it up every night because they are “on vacation.”  Yeah, sure, I can call the authorities, but the authorities are going to get mighty tired of hearing from the same person over and over and over. If I wanted to live next to this garbage, I would have bought a house next to a Holiday Inn. These things should be illegal in an area zoned residential.(<- Yup, right there, that’s the JAWM bit.) What makes the whole mess even worse is that the lovely-and quite independent- older widow  who lived there was pretty much run out of the house and into an apartment (very much against her will, as it is a far more unsafe place for her to be during this pandemic) by her stepsons who just wanted the $$ for the house.

Somebody tell me things will be ok. This is just the icing on top of a giant anxiety and depression cake that has been baking for a very long time, and I’m not sure I can cope. I have exactly zero optimism left. There is no joy in anything, and it’s a struggle to get through the day without melting into a puddle of tears.. And now this? I can’t. I just can’t. 

Ugh I’m sorry!  That would be extremely frustrating.  Is there any planning laws etc around using properties as air BNBS?  It would be so annoying to suddenly find yourself living next to one.   

And I’m really sorry about the overall feelings of depression and anxiety this whole thing is sooo hard.  I think things are gradually getting better but so slowly.  

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

I did a quick google search and it looks like there’s some planning regulations here in Aus that basically mean repeat noise issues etc can get people deregistered.  Is there anything similar  where you are?

I checked out the website, and there are similar regulations in the US, so if the guests violate local ordinances, I can call the police and file a complaint with airbnb, but in this day and age, who knows what the home's owner would do in retaliation if my reports did get them deregistered? 

Part of me is just weary because I feel like I just left this party. We moved here three years ago to get away from an alcoholic neighbor who liked to throw golf balls at my dogs and encouraged his three year old granddaughter to do the same. Also, his teenaged daughter was a druggie who sat with her boyfriend/dealer in a car parked in front of our house consuming all manner of Illegal things. So we were delighted to find a neighborhood of mostly retirees peppered with enough young families to make the neighborhood feel active. This is a quiet, suburban area (except for the guy a few doors down who loves his motorcycles, but he keeps the tinkering and engine revving to sensible hours) not a swanky, conveniently located hotspot. Why the bleepity-bleep would anyone want to stay in an old bungalow in a residential area anyway? 

Thanks for the pointer, though, and thanks for not being judgmental! 

• Sad 5

16 minutes ago, I talk to the trees said:

I checked out the website, and there are similar regulations in the US, so if the guests violate local ordinances, I can call the police and file a complaint with airbnb, but in this day and age, who knows what the home's owner would do in retaliation if my reports did get them deregistered? 

Part of me is just weary because I feel like I just left this party. We moved here three years ago to get away from an alcoholic neighbor who liked to throw golf balls at my dogs and encouraged his three year old granddaughter to do the same. Also, his teenaged daughter was a druggie who sat with her boyfriend/dealer in a car parked in front of our house consuming all manner of Illegal things. So we were delighted to find a neighborhood of mostly retirees peppered with enough young families to make the neighborhood feel active. This is a quiet, suburban area (except for the guy a few doors down who loves his motorcycles, but he keeps the tinkering and engine revving to sensible hours) not a swanky, conveniently located hotspot. Why the bleepity-bleep would anyone want to stay in an old bungalow in a residential area anyway? 

Thanks for the pointer, though, and thanks for not being judgmental! 

That sucks to no end!  Moving to get away from it and having another set of problems.  😕.  

• Like 2

hugs. Maybe it won't be that bad? I've stayed at an AirBNB and we were not loud, or partying, and neither were the people in the others next to us (was a cluster of 4 of them in a small area). 

Air BNB people can be pretty particular about things, so i think a lot of party people do a hotel instead. Less rules. 

• Like 9

Thanks for the jawms, guys! I really needed to feel like someone, somewhere has my back, even if it’s my virtual back!
I only got about an hour of sleep last night, and I’m running on caffeine, but at least I have a plan of action. I have ordered some privacy weave for my chain link fence, and some no trespassing signs and stakes to place along the border, which runs a little over two feet from my fence. And I can now just about recite the local noise ordinance by heart, so if there is a violation, I guess I will have to become that person, and call the police each and every time it happens. Ugh! I hate confrontations, and I know police officers hate responding to noise complaints, but the laws are in place for a reason. And although it looks like we are stuck here for the duration of the pandemic, when my family has been vaccinated and the numbers have sufficiently dropped, I guess it’s time to move again, which I also hate. I just hope the value of our property hasn’t declined because of them! 

Lousy punctuation due to insufficient caffeine consumption

Is it a lovely home with all updated furnishings, etc..? Is it going to be squeaky clean? It is hard to run a successful Air BnB; I would be surprised if the step sons have the ability to market it and make it. Maybe it will sit empty. Do you live near a vacation destination? 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

hugs. Maybe it won't be that bad? I've stayed at an AirBNB and we were not loud, or partying, and neither were the people in the others next to us (was a cluster of 4 of them in a small area). 

Air BNB people can be pretty particular about things, so i think a lot of party people do a hotel instead. Less rules. 

I do hope you are right, but even if the parties are infrequent, that still leaves the creepy, icky feeling of never knowing who is staying there. I know this may sound silly, but a big perk to living in a neighborhood like this is being able to know who your neighbor is, and looking out for each other. That’s gone forever now. I’ll buy that most guests are perfectly nice, normal people, but there will always be the possibility of unsavory characters being there, and I’ll never feel truly safe in my own home again. I hate that. I really, really hate it. 

• Sad 3

Do your zoning laws allow someone to drop an AirBNB in a normal residential area? If they don't mention it, I'd go to my city council-person or the zoning person and ask them about what, if anything, can be done.  Do you have a neighborhood HOA? If so, do they have any regulations against AirBNBs? 

I hope the people who stay there are quiet normal folks and not loud noisy party folks. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, lmrich said:

Is it a lovely home with all updated furnishings, etc..? Is it going to be squeaky clean? It is hard to run a successful Air BnB; I would be surprised if the step sons have the ability to market it and make it. Maybe it will sit empty. Do you live near a vacation destination? 

Ok, sorry I didn’t really make it clear in my op. Here’s the story with the previous owner: She was recently (a few months before we moved in here) widowed, and was ferociously independent, but she did have MS, and moved a bit slowly. She wouldn’t even let me carry her groceries in, and when I tried to do things to help her (like bring in her mail from our boxes across the street or mow her lawn) she would repeat to me that she didn’t want “to be taken care of.” I now see that that was an expression of her fear that her nasty stepsons would do exactly what they did, and remove her from her own home. The stepsons live in another state, and as soon as they could run her out of the house, they sold the house to friends of theirs, who are the current owners.(From my discussions with other locals, I have gleaned that her car was hit in the parking lot of the local grocery store and she was taken to the hospital. She was never permitted to return.) 

I live in an older, industrial town, and although the neighborhood itself is nice, I cannot imagine anyone wanting to come here for vacation. Last night's guests have already packed up and left, so hooray for that. But if the winter activity we have already seen is any indication of things to come, it’s going to be a rough ride when the weather warms up a bit.

• Sad 12

OH man that really sucks.  I would not want that next to me either.   I am sorry this is happening to you.  I am with you on having bad neighbors.  I have had bad neighbors all my life.  We built our house in a town and at that time it was a quiet street.  It has changed and I hate it now.  I really want to move to something that would be more private.   I hate being the one to call the police even though it is in the law.  You are worried about how they are going to get back at you and I am sure the police hate having you call over and over.  You are in a no win situation.  It really stinks.  

I hope that the people that rent there are just families that are not going to cause trouble.  I think I would try not to stress about it until it is a stressful situation.  I say that gently, because I know I would be all worked up and dh would be trying to talk me down.  

But yeah I use Airbnbs all the time when traveling, but I do think it is unfair for the neighborhoods when people don't have a choice of living next door to a hotel. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, I talk to the trees said:

, I guess I will have to become that person, and call the police each and every time it happens. Ugh! I hate confrontations, and I know police officers hate responding to noise complaints, but the laws are in place for a reason.  

Dd's next door neighbors are "five guys", who live there year round.  She calls it "the frat house", and her bedroom window faces it.  She didn't want to be "that person" either - but when there is enough noise  . . . , she finally started calling.  Mostly the cops didn't do much.  The city went after the car that never moved from the space next to her driveway impeding her view exiting her driveway.  with enough complaints things did start to get better.   

But AirB&B has had  enough "partiers" that have made the news trashing ABB houses (which can become very expensive for owners to fix), that rational owners work to avoid renting to those types of renters, and ABB has (supposedly) enacted policies to try to prevent them).   Since the step-sons sold it, hopefully the new owners are better.  but if they're friends . . . .  they could still be better.

1 hour ago, lmrich said:

the step-sons sold it to their friend.

as for running, depends what your goals are.  dh's friend's condo was turned into an ABB when he retired.  he doesn't run it, someone whose business is running ABBs for people does.  it is profitable.  he's on target to make more off the condo than he would have if he'd just outright sold it.  it's not a vacation destination, but 'other'.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, happi duck said:

Have you seen this? https://news.airbnb.com/airbnb-announces-global-party-ban/

I hope airbnb does something to help.  I'd be upset too.

Thanks for the link! 
Ok, that’s a good sign, I think. Right now, gatherings in my state are limited to 10 anyway, so that’s a good thing too. I just hate to be the one who complains, because they always seem to be looked upon as the bad guy, even if they are just asking for a law to be enforced. I know I’ll have to stiffen my backbone and go way outside of my comfort zone to deal with these yahoos, but in the end it will be worth it. 

• Like 4

I wouldn't want that either....  But on the other hand, an airbnb is better than bad neighbors.  Because the bad neighbors own the home and are living there permanently.  With airbnb, you have more of an ability to complain if it begins to be a problem.  You can complain both to airbnb and the police.  

I'll say that we've often stayed in airbnbs and have been next to other people in airbnbs too, and they haven't been party-places.  I might expect them to be party places if they were on the beach somewhere, but hopefully in an in-town residential area, it'll get a different crowd.

I wonder who stays in an airbnb in an older industrial town?  Are they just people coming to visit friends or relatives and prefer to stay in an airbnb rather than a hotel?

• Like 10

I have a group of medical students who bought the house across from me and seem to have an insane amount of time friday and Saturday nights to party, or least play loud music and have lots of people over.  I’ve called the cops once after midnight because it was ridiculous.

I live in a tourist town that swells ten times its normal population during the summer.  We have many Air BnBs to the point the village had to put a stop on investors buying houses and flipping them into air BnBs because there wasn’t enough housing and apartments anymore for residents and there’s no place to build new structures.  The air BnBs are almost constantly full April-October, and there are honestly very few problems. It’s the locals who get drunk and throw loud parties, not the people who come for vacation. 

But to be fair I’ve lived in this house eleven years now and still don’t know all the neighbors on my block. People keep pretty close to themselves.

Edited by Mrs Tiggywinkle
  • Like 6
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle said:

I have a group of medical students who bought the house across from me and seem to have an insane amount of time friday and Saturday nights to party, or least play loud music and have lots of people over.  I’ve called the cops once after midnight because it was ridiculous.

I live in a tourist town that swells ten times its normal population during the summer.  We have many Air BnBs to the point the village had to put a stop on investors buying houses and flipping them into air BnBs because there wasn’t enough housing and apartments anymore for residents and there’s no place to build new structures.  The air BnBs are almost constantly full April-October, and there are honestly very few problems. It’s the locals who get drunk and throw loud parties, not the people who come for vacation. 

But to be fair I’ve lived in this house eleven years now and still don’t know all the neighbors on my block. People keep pretty close to themselves.

You post kinda breaks my heart for two reasons: I am sorry that you have to deal with drunken parties, whoever the participants may be, and your last statement about not knowing/ connecting with your neighbors doesn’t sound like a happy place at all. I want to live in a place where neighbors know neighbors, and watch out for each other, and pitch in to help each other when the need arises. I grew up in a neighborhood like that, and our first house 20 years ago was in a neighborhood like that, so I know they exist. I just can’t seem to find them! 

ETA: I just got off the phone with my mom. One of their long time neighbors just had a stroke and was taken away by ambulance. My father (aka: the best dude ever) just masked up and walked down the street to let the man's wife know that he would happily take care of their dog - or let the dog stay with my parents- if the hospital will let the wife in to be with her husband. That’s the kind of neighborhood I want to live in. 

• Like 2

I know that you said JAWM, but here is my own airbnb vent: 

My son used to learn the piano from a reputed teacher at a reputed studio where there were waiting lists and such. Over the years, he became an advanced student with many performance requirements and competitions and we had to work extra hours with that teacher in order to make deadlines, tackle difficult repertoire, prepare for auditions etc and the only way to do that to suit her packed schedule was to go to her house and use her personal piano and I did not mind because her husband was retired and plays video games in his room while she teaches. All that changed when they started subletting spare bedrooms to airbnb guests. So, we would have intense and rigorous music lessons while people walked in and out of her front door, flushed toilets, took showers, made coffee, ate with beeping microwaves and other kitchen appliances going off and on etc. This is not an environment where it is quiet and advanced and professional music lessons could take place, not to mention the top dollar we were paying for Conservatory level classes and getting a noisy and interrupted lesson in return. We liked her and so we stuck with her like this for 2 years. The pandemic hit and she was a non-believer in covid (drink some Vodka and wash your hands you will be fine was her advise!) she could not teach advanced repertoire effectively online and made her students to go to her house while she also kept renting out rooms in her house to international guests. We quit. There was no other way for my son to take lessons and stay safe. We have moved on to other venues that follow Covid-safe policies for lessons. That is my airbnb vent for the day.

• Like 1
  • Sad 10

11 minutes ago, mathnerd said:

My son used to learn the piano from a reputed teacher at a reputed studio where there were waiting lists and such. Over the years, he became an advanced student with many performance requirements and competitions and we had to work extra hours with that teacher in order to make deadlines, tackle difficult repertoire, prepare for auditions etc and the only way to do that to suit her packed schedule was to go to her house and use her personal piano and I did not mind because her husband was retired and plays video games in his room while she teaches. All that changed when they started subletting spare bedrooms to airbnb guests. So, we would have intense and rigorous music lessons while people walked in and out of her front door, flushed toilets, took showers, made coffee, ate with beeping microwaves and other kitchen appliances going off and on etc. This is not an environment where it is quiet and advanced and professional music lessons could take place, not to mention the top dollar we were paying for Conservatory level classes and getting a noisy and interrupted lesson in return. We liked her and so we stuck with her like this for 2 years. The pandemic hit and she was a non-believer in covid (drink some Vodka and wash your hands you will be fine was her advise!) she could not teach advanced repertoire effectively online and made her students to go to her house while she also kept renting out rooms in her house to international guests. We quit. There was no other way for my son to take lessons and stay safe. We have moved on to other venues that follow Covid-safe policies for lessons. That is my airbnb vent for the day.

I am so sorry. And the jawm was more of a “please don’t sing the praises of airbnb right now to me, especially if you’re making money hand over fist by hosting yourself and being a really bad neighbor.” Commiseration and stories of frustration are welcome....well, not welcome, because it would be nice if no one had to deal with them, but you get my drift! 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, I talk to the trees said:

Why the bleepity-bleep would anyone want to stay in an old bungalow in a residential area anyway?

I'm renting an airbnb residential house for one night next weekend in a non-tourist city.  My dd will be participating in a dance competition 3 hours from our house, and her group was assigned an 8am stage time.  One of the other dancers cannot afford a hotel room, and the split cost of this entire house is much less than getting one hotel room for the night.  I'd rather take my covid chances with one dancer who dd spends weekly studio time with, than with an entire hotel full of people.  We will be getting to the airbnb late Saturday afternoon, and leaving for good mid-morning on Sunday.  There to eat and sleep only - no party, no outdoors noise.  Maybe you'll get lucky and find the same sort of airbnb guests stay in the house next door to yours...?

• Like 6

1 hour ago, I talk to the trees said:

You post kinda breaks my heart for two reasons: I am sorry that you have to deal with drunken parties, whoever the participants may be, and your last statement about not knowing/ connecting with your neighbors doesn’t sound like a happy place at all. I want to live in a place where neighbors know neighbors, and watch out for each other, and pitch in to help each other when the need arises. I grew up in a neighborhood like that, and our first house 20 years ago was in a neighborhood like that, so I know they exist. I just can’t seem to find them! 

ETA: I just got off the phone with my mom. One of their long time neighbors just had a stroke and was taken away by ambulance. My father (aka: the best dude ever) just masked up and walked down the street to let the man's wife know that he would happily take care of their dog - or let the dog stay with my parents- if the hospital will let the wife in to be with her husband. That’s the kind of neighborhood I want to live in. 

Eh, it’s a mostly elderly block and the neighbors all seem to be really busy and keep to themselves.   I live in the northeast and I find people tend to be that way anyway in my area.  I know people, just not most of the people in the houses around me.

We want to move where there are no neighbors at all lol.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle said:

Our closest neighbors are a mile in any direction, which I like because I've had bad neighbors before, I don't need anyone up in my business - do-gooders or not,  and I prefer not to live where I have to listen to people's dogs barking in their yards ALL DAY LONG (and nights too).  We've lived here more than 13 years, have never met any of our neighbors, and don't even know their names.  People keep to themselves, indeed.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, I talk to the trees said:

I do hope you are right, but even if the parties are infrequent, that still leaves the creepy, icky feeling of never knowing who is staying there. I know this may sound silly, but a big perk to living in a neighborhood like this is being able to know who your neighbor is, and looking out for each other. That’s gone forever now. I’ll buy that most guests are perfectly nice, normal people, but there will always be the possibility of unsavory characters being there, and I’ll never feel truly safe in my own home again. I hate that. I really, really hate it. 

We pretty much have the same thing now. Our next door neighbor's house was bought to be a resident house for adults who cannot live alone. There's a stream of workers in and out and we rarely see the actual residents. But they don't encourage interaction.

I can't promise you that everything will be ok...but I can tell you that I survived.  (The owners did the rental thing for a few years and finally sold the house.)

There was only one loud party that entire time...we had drunk people running around at night.  When they started climbing down our rockery onto our driveway my husband went out and told them not to go that way anymore.  Part of the problem was that the owners didn't have any outdoor lights but we had lights in our driveway.  I did end up calling the police that night when they started breaking bottles in the street.  I sent an email to the owner right away letting him know what went on and suggested to him that he needed outdoor lighting so no one gets hurt on his property and sues him.   And he did add lights with a motion detector after that incident so people wouldn't need to find the light switch.  

Mostly the people were quiet, although I understand feeling nervous about never knowing who is coming and going.  And there were times when people came to our door by mistake at night looking for the place.   I used to read through the airbnb reviews left by renters after they stayed there.  Many people were here for job interviews, visiting relatives, going to medical treatments, etc.   I sometimes think it was probably more of a hassle for the owners than for us...sometimes I would see people leaving with packages of toilet paper, paper towels, etc. so I wonder how much stuff walks away when renters leave?  (And maybe I'm wrong and they brought their own tp.)   I did enjoy talking to some of the people who stayed there.  They might ask directions or something if I was working in the yard...

I would try to get an email address and/or phone number for the current owners.  (Be friendly and make them think you're just a good neighbor who can keep an eye on things in their absence so they'll give up their info.!  )   

• Like 5

I know many ABB's around me and know people who live next to them. I'm not disagreeing with you - and obviously your desire for a more neighborhood feel where you know who is around you is just crummy and I'm sorry. But I would say don't borrow trouble before it comes. Some ABB's attract partiers, but many attract people who travel for work, families and couples who want a quiet getaway. It could be the partier kind, but there are so many ABB's everywhere now. Odds are that it won't be. I'd definitely try to take a cross that bridge when you come to it approach as opposed to getting prematurely mad. And you have a plan. You've steeled yourself to call in noise complaints if they happen. I just wouldn't assume it's a foregone conclusions. Most people I know who live near ABB's have almost no trouble.

• Like 7

I'll agree with you.  I'm not sure how much longer Air BnB's have in their current form.  Right now they skirt around all sorts of safety and accessibility issues and the owners aren't always nearby to deal with day-to-day noise and weirdness.  I think right now the owners have a good thing going, but I'll be surprised it lasts in it's current form much longer.  Some neighborhoods have already taken steps to ban these pop-up hotels in residential areas.  My neighborhood is so delightfully quiet.  I would hate it if there were different people partying on the deck next door every other day.  

• Like 2

10 hours ago, mathnerd said:

Um . . . That's on your son's teacher, not ABB.  The teacher chose to supplement her income by subletting rooms, ABB didn't force her.  She could have done it in a way it wouldn't interfere with in-home student lessons (having lessons and ABB guests on different days, rearranging the house to prevent distractions, etc.) - but she didn't, ABB didn't force her to do that.  She chose to not do that.  I'd imagine she lost other students as well.

I hope you were able to find a more appropriate teacher.

6 hours ago, Farrar said:

I know many ABB's around me and know people who live next to them. I'm not disagreeing with you - and obviously your desire for a more neighborhood feel where you know who is around you is just crummy and I'm sorry. But I would say don't borrow trouble before it comes. Some ABB's attract partiers, but many attract people who travel for work, families and couples who want a quiet getaway. It could be the partier kind, but there are so many ABB's everywhere now. Odds are that it won't be. I'd definitely try to take a cross that bridge when you come to it approach as opposed to getting prematurely mad. And you have a plan. You've steeled yourself to call in noise complaints if they happen. I just wouldn't assume it's a foregone conclusions. Most people I know who live near ABB's have almost no trouble.

We've used ABB, and been able to stay in locations that either a hotel wasn't available, or would have been cost prohibitive.  Dsil rented a room in someone's home when he first moved to Texas as dd was still in their apartment here.   Even locally, they were very varied, and it was clear some owners were much better prepared/set-up than others.

We have a senior living home/group home currently under construction on our street. (there's a separate part of the house for the owners.) There will definitely be employees - but there is only on-street parking.  It's a narrow street.  We'll see what happens.

You might get lucky.  We have one right next door.  It seems to be booked frequently but we've never had any trouble with noise or parties.  When I saw it was turning into an AirBnB, I was dismayed, as you are.  It's a bigger house with multiple bedrooms so can hold up to 8 people.....which we assumed meant it would be attractive to partiers.  But it is probably the quietest house on the block.  The only issue we have ever had is with renters not understanding the parking rules in our neighborhood.  This did not directly affect us other than having the poor renters knocking on our door wondering if their car had been stolen and us having to explain it was probably towed.   I hope for your sake, you have a similar experience!

• Like 2

• I talk to the trees changed the title to And now, there's an airbnb next door. Update in first post.
6 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

They've got some chutzpah.   Do the authorities looking at the abb investigation have authority to handle the elder abuse? 

It would be such a shame if the fast one they tried to pull ripped a chunk from their patotties.   

No, the zoning department is separate from social services, but I assume that they will at least make an effort to speak to the actual owner as a part of the investigation. I also made it clear that I would be willing to talk to social services if I needed to. This poor, sweet woman (who once called me the best neighbor she had ever had just because I mowed her lawn a couple of times 😢) probably has no idea about any of this!

• Sad 4

On 2/14/2021 at 4:49 PM, I talk to the trees said:

Update: I spoke with our city's zoning office today. Airbnb’s are not allowed in the city. The official I spoke to said that they had to open an investigation, and that nothing would probably happen before next week, but that it would absolutely be shut down. I was also able to voice my concerns about potential financial abuse of my widow neighbor. I checked the city GIS and found that the home is still in the widow's name, which means these yahoos were operating an illegal business from a home that isn’t even theirs!  What a relief! I have had enough crazy in the past couple of weeks to last the entirety of 2021. Reading my posts from the last week, I’m beginning to wonder if I should report myself as a troll! 

This is a JAWM.

Wow so glad you made the call!  Hopefully it will work out well.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, I talk to the trees said:

No, the zoning department is separate from social services, but I assume that they will at least make an effort to speak to the actual owner as a part of the investigation. I also made it clear that I would be willing to talk to social services if I needed to. This poor, sweet woman (who once called me the best neighbor she had ever had just because I mowed her lawn a couple of times 😢) probably has no idea about any of this!

Do you guys have an elder abuse line at all? 

I'm glad it's working out, and I don't disagree it would be worrisome in a neighborhood. As to who would use an AirBNB in a neighborhood in an industrial area: We did that! My husband went to University in France for one semester. We needed to secure housing for the whole time before we went due to visa requirements. There was a group that was supposed to help with those with odd housing needs, but apparently family with 2 kids was too odd. They strung us along till the last minute, so all that we could decide quickly enough was an AirBNB. It wasn't a bad experience at all, but it was kind of weird. 

• Like 1