Menu

Word-of-the-Year People. Thoughts on 2020's Word? Ideas for 2021?

Ginevra

My word was Trust and I really think it fit the year. I have had more fear this year than any other in memory. It's required me to dig in deep and trust the Lord in all things.

Not sure about next year yet. I started this in 2016 and my words have been

Abide- abide with the Lord after a desert season

Hope- hope through a hard marriage season

Grow- going back to school, lots of change in our family structure

Invest- invested in my health, lost a bunch of weight, continued school

and Trust- 2020. nuff said

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't know if I did a word of the year.  I never remember things like that.

I propose:  "Roll."

We rolled out some new things early on.

Then we got rolled.

Had to learn to roll with it ... & keep on rolling ....

Trying to keep our sense of humor, as in ROFL.

Rock n Roll helps too.

I seem to be on a roll ....

🧻🧻🧻

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, SKL said:

Then we got rolled.

Rock n Roll helps too.

🧻🧻🧻

Quarantine eating produced a new stomach roll...

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

For 2020, my word was "Brave". This was the year I was going to put myself out there, try new things, go new places, make new friends. None of those things happened, but I've had to be brave in ways I never imagined when I picked the word. I'm not sure I'm ready (or even willing) to pick a word for 2021. I guess I should since it will require me to be brave!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, SKL said:

Then we got rolled.

Rock n Roll helps too.

🧻🧻🧻

And if I don’t exercise, I can only Roll around like a ball, considering how little time I spend outside these days and how easily I seem to gain weight 🙂

• Haha 2

I've never done a word of the year, but I think Balance best describes my vision of 2021.

DH and I were talking on Thanksgiving. We did all of our visiting over Zoom, and while there were definitely parts of a traditional Thanksgiving that we missed, they were actually few and far between, and there were many aspects of this year's celebration that we really liked. The kids didn't have to spend 3 hours in the car; we got to catch up with more relatives in far flung places than we would normally see; we didn't have to worry about food allergy safety and kids jealous of what others could eat; we didn't have to pack up entertainment and calming tools and deal with autistic tantrums in a very non-kid-friendly home of a relative; our kids got to eat and go to bed on their normal schedule, etc.

Similarly, while some of my kids greatly miss their extracurriculars, there is also something to be said for virtual classes and simplifying our schedule. We did a staycation over the summer and found it was far less stressful than our normal trips. My husband has been working from home since March and though there have been some challenges, there have also been huge advantages. Even eliminating all playdates and trips to the park (my kids have not played with any other children since March) has been a mix of bitter and oh so sweet (and I don't even have to feel guilty about too little socialization during a pandemic!!).

This year we had little choice about our extreme isolation; all we could do is ride it out and try to appreciate the pros and accept the cons. But next year I expect we will have to make more choices and start finding our own balance between the good parts of isolation and the challenging, but important/worthwhile/necessary parts, of stretching ourselves out of the house.

I don't know how that is going to look, but I have a feeling that in many arenas now that the status quo has been broken we may never entirely go back.

Balance

• Like 6

2 hours ago, mom2scouts said:

For 2020, my word was "Brave". This was the year I was going to put myself out there, try new things, go new places, make new friends. None of those things happened, but I've had to be brave in ways I never imagined when I picked the word. I'm not sure I'm ready (or even willing) to pick a word for 2021. I guess I should since it will require me to be brave!

That was my 2020 word, too. I also feel the word took on quite different dimensions than I envisioned, at least in some respects. 

I do think my 2021 word is "Open". It's the word that is calling to me. 

• Like 3

For 2021 I think I want a word that includes (a) doing all we can with what we have and (b) accepting our inability to control much.

For some reason, the only word that keeps popping up in my mind is "puppy."

We are thinking of getting a puppy in 2021, so maybe there is something to that ....

Probably not deep enough thoughts for this thread ....

• Like 3

On 11/15/2020 at 10:48 PM, easypeasy said:

...My 2020 word was, "soar," and had life gone as planned, should have been the perfect choice for everyone in our family for many reasons. However... 🥴 we're just limping along with injured wings, hoping for better days coming soon.... someday? I hope? I should revise the word officially... something like... "sheesh," or "c'monnnnn," or "for real?," or "mask."

Maybe you accidentally spelled your 2020 word as "SORE" -- hence, the troubles. 😉 

• Haha 3

I've never done WotY before, but as I was planning out this week, one came to me.

Present. 

I want to be with the people I'm with. I want to be available to those with me. I don't want to turn to escapism or wishfulness about the future. I want to enjoy the moments and days, whether they are at home with family or not.

Emily

• Like 6

Until just now no word was coming to me for 2021.  I was reading through some of these responses and my word came to me in a flash.  It is going to be "heal".  This has been a phenomenally challenging and stressful year, outside of the pandemic and the fallout from it.   I am broken and sad and struggling.  Cancer and the treatment for it has taken a toll.   I have not gotten the support and care from loved ones that I needed and begged for.  Going through treatment alone has been traumatic and very lonely.  Pulling myself out of this pit is proving to be more difficult than I imagined.   So I think 2021 needs to feature a whole lot of healing.  Heal will be my word and my hope.  

I do love how each year my word finds me.  This one seems extra special.

Edit:  please don't quote me.

Edited by Ditto
please don't quote me
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 10

4 hours ago, SKL said:

For 2021 I think I want a word that includes (a) doing all we can with what we have and (b) accepting our inability to control much.

For some reason, the only word that keeps popping up in my mind is "puppy."

We are thinking of getting a puppy in 2021, so maybe there is something to that ....

Probably not deep enough thoughts for this thread ....

It makes a whole lot of sense to me.  Puppies are a sign of life, of love, of energy, happiness, and hope for the future.  They also are a sign of a lot of hard work, adaptation, and flexibility.    I think puppy is a great word of the year and I hope you find the perfect puppy for your family and that he/she brings you a ton of happiness in 2021.

• Like 2

On 11/20/2020 at 6:52 PM, The Accidental Coach said:

What planner do you use? I've been using a the Leuchtturm1917 Bullet journal but have been looking at the Commit 30 monthly (or weekly) planner.

I use the 6x9 Nondenominational Christian planner from Intheleafytreetops.com, Monday start, weekly dashboard

Edited by prairiewindmomma
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, The Accidental Coach said:

Ditto - is there anything I can do for you?

Thank you, I really appreciate the offer.    Reaching out to me was more than enough.  Thank you.

21 hours ago, Quill said:

Hugs to you, Ditto. I hope you find healing in 2021. I understand what that is like. 

Thank you.  I hate that you understand what this is like because it means you have been in the position and it isn't a position I would wish on anyone.   Please feel free to share what worked for you if you don't mind (pm me if you prefer).

58 minutes ago, Ditto said:

Thank you, I really appreciate the offer.    Reaching out to me was more than enough.  Thank you.

Thank you.  I hate that you understand what this is like because it means you have been in the position and it isn't a position I would wish on anyone.   Please feel free to share what worked for you if you don't mind (pm me if you prefer).

I’m sorry to confess I don’t have any great idea. For me it was mostly just, “The only way out is through.” I experienced that feeling of abandonment when my baby died. I was shocked to realize that many of the people I had always assumed had my back were just no help at all. I also realized - I’m sorry; this sometimes offends people, but it was true for me - that God was not going to swoop in and fix things, redeem my suffering, make it all beautiful. I think I must have been extremely thick-headed on this point because it took several years to come to terms with that. 

When I went through cancer treatment, I worried less about being “demanding,” which was a bigger source of trouble for me in the first crisis. It does sound like you have done this but you just haven’t had people who would step up and for that, I am truly sorry. I was also much pickier about who I asked for help and let into my inner circle than I had been in the first crisis. There were some people I just avoided because I could predict they would be no help and I was not going to throw good love after bad as I had done before. There are some people I compartmentalize as “dinner friends” - they are good for going out to dinner but they aren’t up to dealing with life’s ugly underbelly. I keep those people as “dinner friends” (well, in non-pandemic times..) and keep them, frankly, away from my tender heart. 

I don’t know if any of that helps. Sometimes I just got up every day and called that an accomplishment. 

• Like 7

16 hours ago, Quill said:

I’m sorry to confess I don’t have any great idea. For me it was mostly just, “The only way out is through.” I experienced that feeling of abandonment when my baby died. I was shocked to realize that many of the people I had always assumed had my back were just no help at all. I also realized - I’m sorry; this sometimes offends people, but it was true for me - that God was not going to swoop in and fix things, redeem my suffering, make it all beautiful. I think I must have been extremely thick-headed on this point because it took several years to come to terms with that. 

When I went through cancer treatment, I worried less about being “demanding,” which was a bigger source of trouble for me in the first crisis. It does sound like you have done this but you just haven’t had people who would step up and for that, I am truly sorry. I was also much pickier about who I asked for help and let into my inner circle than I had been in the first crisis. There were some people I just avoided because I could predict they would be no help and I was not going to throw good love after bad as I had done before. There are some people I compartmentalize as “dinner friends” - they are good for going out to dinner but they aren’t up to dealing with life’s ugly underbelly. I keep those people as “dinner friends” (well, in non-pandemic times..) and keep them, frankly, away from my tender heart. 

I don’t know if any of that helps. Sometimes I just got up every day and called that an accomplishment. 

@Quill - this is heartwrenching but speaks to the experience of many. ((Quill))

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Quill said:

This breaks my heart.  I am so sorry for everything you have been through.   I do see what you mean about the "only way out is through" and that has kind of been my motto.  A step at a time and a day at a time.  Eventually I will get through it.   I have always known God wasn't going to swoop in and fix things but I can imagine that was a hard thing to realize.    Oh how I wish we were wrong and he would do that.  Wouldn't it be nice?

I like your descriptions of different groups of people/friends and they are very accurate.  Going through cancer during a pandemic has been especially isolating and difficult.  Which I think has made the "indifference" of loved ones much more painful and amplified.  

Thank you for the "permission" to just call getting up an accomplishment.   I have been demanding more of myself and that has been quite a struggle some days.  I will be kinder to myself.

This does help me and I appreciate it.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ditto said:

I like your descriptions of different groups of people/friends and they are very accurate.  Going through cancer during a pandemic has been especially isolating and difficult.  Which I think has made the "indifference" of loved ones much more painful and amplified.  

I am sorry you have been going through this, especially during this time when many people are even more absorbed in their own life and do not reach out to friends. Hugs and good thoughts for healing.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Mine was thrive, and we did though not at all how I expected. I wanted to lose 20 pounds but I'm bedridden and gained about 30. I wanted to pay off our debt consolidation, instead we're months behind in bills. I wanted to do amazing things with school but that was far from what happened. Instead I finally got a life changing diagnosis and can treat for a disease I've had for 30 years but never had a name for, my husband has decided to go to school for a career path that will more than double our income, we have a new baby we had no intention of having that my children just drool over every day, and we got a lot of answers to questions that will drastically help our family live better lives than we would have otherwise.

This year is going to be foundations. Foundations in my health and pain management, deeper Bible for the kids, a new career, working towards home ownership, and a new lifestyle.

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

Bumping this just before we enter a new year. 

I have indeed settled on “Open” for myself 2021. I can’t wait to see all the ways the word “Open” interplays with my life. 

• Like 3

After I posted that I'm not a word of the year or vision board kind of person, something serendipitous happened. I was looking for a journal to use for my 2021 goals, and rather than buy a new one I knew I had some that were barely used. When I found the one I wanted to use I started browsing through it and found some pages that had my word of the year info for 2015! Apparently I chose the word move back then. It wasn't just the obvious move your body, but move clutter out either to trash, thrift shop, or to sell, move photos out of boxes, and the biggest one of all - move to a new house closer to the grandkids. Five years later those move things finally happened, including moving to a new house. Well, except for photos which still need to be sorted - both physical photos and ones on my computer or phone.

Finding that and being annoyed with myself for letting all of those plans go for five years, I decided I will actually choose a word for 2021. I do have some goals and my word will fit very well with those. 

My word of the year will be Focus. Focus on the things I plan to learn (using my dslr, learning conversational Spanish), focus on keeping the new house from collecting clutter/junk, focus on my fitness walking goals, and focus on returning to normal once it's safe to do so. 

• Like 2

I've finally settled on a word for next year, constancy. There are some big things outside of my control that will either break good or bad in 2021. Whichever way life takes, I want to work on staying true to who and what I believe in. 

"Definition of constancy

1a: steadfastness of mind under duress : FORTITUDE

b: FIDELITY, LOYALTY

2: a state of being constant or unchanging"

• Like 4

On 12/11/2020 at 5:38 PM, MEmama said:

Mine is Brave.

I can foresee several places in my 2021 life where I’m going to be leaning in on this word. 

When I saw your word I thought of this song.  I really like it and the video is great.   Brave is a good word to choose.

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Carol in Cal. said:

I’m not liking linen for my word after all.  It is accurate but not inspiring on any level.  Thinking more.

Finding a word that inspires you is important (I think).  I hope you are able to find one that speaks to you and inspires you.  If it comes to you after the new year has begun, that is fine too.

2 hours ago, scholastica said:

I’m still mulling. If anyone else can’t settle on one, here’s a Word of the Year Generator. Spin the wheel until one that feels right comes up!

This is pretty cool.  I didn't know such a thing existed.  I love how I am always learning new things from the hive.

1 hour ago, theelfqueen said:

20201230_140048.jpg

I like this.  A lot.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Ditto said:

When I saw your word I thought of this song.  I really like it and the video is great.   Brave is a good word to choose.

That video makes me want to do Brave again! Lol! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ditto said:

Wow.

Thank you for sharing this—I hadn’t heard the song before, but I’ll be adding it to my playlist for sure.

”...your history of silence/didn’t do you any good...”. So much THIS. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, MEmama said:

Wow.

Thank you for sharing this—I hadn’t heard the song before, but I’ll be adding it to my playlist for sure.

”...your history of silence/didn’t do you any good...”. So much THIS. 

Depending on my mood it either makes me smile or makes me cry.   No matter what though, it is a great song.  I'm glad it spoke to you too.