Menu

Wedding Anniversary

theelfqueen

8 minutes ago, theelfqueen said:

How do you and your spouse celebrate your wedding anniversary? (Normally and under current conditions) 

A dinner out and a gift for each other.  This year is our 10th and I bought dh a very very nice smoker he wanted.  I gave it to him early because we are going on a family camping trip and I know he wanted to have it for that.  

We probably won't do dinner out since we aren't eating in restaurants because of the Pandemic.  

• Like 1

As a matter of fact today is our anniversary.

Every year it varies.   We don't do elaborate and we just went on a weekend away last month (when the weather was nicer). 

Today we hope to go out to a restaurant and eat outside, but the weather is rainy, so I don't know what we'll do.  Otherwise, nothing extra special.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, PrincessMommy said:

As a matter of fact today is our anniversary.

Every year it varies.   We don't do elaborate and we just went on a weekend away last month (when the weather was nicer). 

Today we hope to go out to a restaurant and eat outside, but the weather is rainy, so I don't know what we'll do.  Otherwise, nothing extra special.

Us, too. I think we're going to a brewery with a food truck for dinner. 

• Like 2

We don't make a big deal out of it.

We've been rock climbing, hiking, went out to dinner, or have ignored it. 
This year we spent 16 hours in the car on our anniversary, driving to the desert, and got Jimmy John's sandwiches when we arrived half starving. It's just an arbitrary date.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 4

When we were first married, we used to go to a B and B for the weekend nearest our anniversary.  This was so nice.  There are quite a few interesting and varied B and Bs within driving distance of where we live.  After a while we dropped that down to a nice dinner out, which is also nice.

For our 25th we each repaired/resized one ring and bought another one, and we had a special Divine Service, and we spent 2 weeks on vacation in Tahoe.  That was insane but wonderful.   I don’t think we had been on that long of a vacation since our honeymoon.  For our 30th we went to Monterey for a couple of days and actually stayed at a nice hotel.  When we got there, the water was broken, so we asked to be switched to a room in the other building across the street.  This was not as fancy but it was right on the water, and out the window we could see ‘Doc’s’ original lab (of Steinbeck fame).  That was perfect for us plus we got a discount for giving up the more spacious room and fireplace.  

This year we weren’t looking forward to going out because of Covid, so I made a very special dinner (which was fine; I like to cook), and we had a nice time at home at the cabin.  

In 2022 is our 35th anniversary.  I wonder whether we will feel like travelling somewhere special on a plane by then?

• Like 1

It changes every year.  Sometimes we exchange gifts, sometimes we don't.  Sometimes we go out to dinner, sometimes we don't.  We talk about it the month leading up to it to decide how we want to acknowledge it this year.  The next safe year we're going to go away together for a few days.

• Like 1

We had a morning wedding and lunch reception. On our actual wedding day, we treated close friends and family to pizza for dinner, so we often celebrate our anniversary with pizza. But sometimes we go out to a fancier place. We always acknowledge the day and how much the other means to us verbally-I think that's about all we did this year! Something like, "I wouldn't want to quarantine with anyone else but you!"

Edited by Ali in OR
  • Like 1

If we remember our anniversary, a lot of times we are busy with other things and both of us forget until after the fact, it is usually just a verbal "Happy Anniversary" and a kiss. Neither of us has gifts as a love language and the day we got married or met or any of it just isn't that important to us. We do openly tell each other every day how much we love and appreciate each other though.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Scarlett said:

I will say Anniversaries are a big deal for us.  Not in 'spend a lot of money' way but a big deal to our heart.  We also always acknowledge the day we met which was 10 weeks prior.  🙂 I also always send a shout out to the couple that introduced us to thank them.

See, for us, the wedding anniversary is not that big a deal because we were a couple for over six years and been living together for several years before getting married for specific practical reasons. Without those practical aspects, we might still not be married, who knows. So the wedding day is really just the day we signed a piece of paper; it didn't change anything about our relationship except some legal aspects. For the level of commitment, it makes no difference.
ETA: We've been together for 33 years.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 3

Our anniversary is over the summer, so it seems like there's always something going on (taking kids to camp, VBS, etc). This past summer was our 20th and DH was at week-long camp with our oldest. He went above and beyond because he ordered me flowers and chocolates to show up on our anniversary. Usually we just go out to eat or something. 

Our anniversary is at the end of November, so with Christmas looming (and I have a December birthday) we don’t make a big deal of our anniversary. Typically we try to go out to eat but never buy each other gifts. Last year we did take a trip to Vegas for our anniversary, but that was because we were celebrating 20 years. 

12 minutes ago, regentrude said:

See, for us, the wedding anniversary is not that big a deal because we were a couple for over six years and been living together for several years before getting married for specific practical reasons. Without those practical aspects, we might still not be married, who knows. So the wedding day is really just the day we signed a piece of paper; it didn't change anything about our relationship except some legal aspects. For the level of commitment, it makes no difference.

We only got married for practical reasons as well. If not for that, we probably wouldn't be married either and it wouldn't change a thing about our relationship. We have said all of those exact same things when people ask us why we don't celebrate our marriage. To us, it's just a legal hoop we had to jump at the time.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, regentrude said:

So do you have some kind of special date though?  The day you met, or decided to live together?

5 minutes ago, sweet2ndchance said:

We only got married for practical reasons as well. If not for that, we probably wouldn't be married either and it wouldn't change a thing about our relationship. We have said all of those exact same things when people ask us why we don't celebrate our marriage. To us, it's just a legal hoop we had to jump at the time.

So do you have some kind of special date though?  The day you met, or decided to live together?

17 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

No. The date we met is hard to pinpoint; we met in orientation week before college, were in classes together, became study buddies and friends,and at some point our relationship evolved further. I guess we know the day when we held hands for the first time. There was no "day we decided to live together". It just happened organically; it wasn't anything that required specific decision making.

ETA: For our wedding, we eloped. We had told the families about the week's vacation in Paris, but omitted mentioning the stop at the courthouse en route to the airport. We were poor grad students and not eager to have a fancy wedding with poofy white dress etc. We had a nice dinner with our families four weeks later and threw an informal party for our friends (30 people in our 450 sq ft apartment lol)

Edited by regentrude

Our 16th anniversary is the end of this month.   We usually just go out to dinner, maybe go to a movie but that's it.  We don't do gifts, one or the other of us may do a card (we seem to kind of alternate who bothers each year).   This year we'll probably just stay home.  Dh may make a nice dinner, he's an excellent cook.

We don't see celebrating a certain date that big of a deal.   

• Like 1

It varies. We're too busy that time of year to take a trip or usually even go to a restaurant, but we do try to get takeout or have a special meal at home. Some years we buy a joint gift, usually something for our house - like the sauna, or new living room furniture. Other years we get each other gifts. This year was our 30th and he gave me a hefty sum of money to spend on my animal rescue efforts (he knows the way to my heart 😍) and I got him a golf-related thingy that he'd been wanting.

I think in the beginning of our marriage we went out to eat or away overnight, but after our son was born we didn't really celebrate. We were pretty much on our own when our son was young, and he was a difficult child. After moving in with my in-laws we barely got any time to ourselves at all between dealing with 2 elderly parents and a special needs son, so we just stopped celebrating anniversaries. Besides, my nephew stole our anniversary, lol. Birthdays and the main holidays are much bigger deals. We do say happy anniversary to each other, and if any family members remember they will say it to us, but that's the extent of it.

LOL. Well our 15th anniversary is this coming Thursday and my DH will be in another state for work. We usually get cards for each other and go out to dinner at some point within a month of our anniversary and call it our anniversary dinner. Before kids, it was a bigger deal.

Um, he bought me a pressure washer 🙂

Seriously - our anniversary is tomorrow and he picked it up yesterday. Today I pressure washed the patio and the grill (and a pan that had chicken stuck on it, lol). 

I got him a book he's been wanting. 

He will likely buy me flowers, I'll get him a card and make a dinner he likes or something. 

A few times we've gone out for our anniversary, to dinner or something, but not often. He always gets me flowers though. 

We don't celebrate. There were a few times that dh did something nice. That was maybe 3 times in 26 years, so I try to just ignore the day, so I don't get disappointed..  For many years, I made a special dinner and dessert and got him a present, but when nothing was reciprocated, it got old. It became obvious it meant nothing to him, so I stopped trying.  Our anniversary is a few days after Valentines Day, so there is no way to forget it. 

Just now, Tap said:

We don't celebrate. There were a few times that dh did something nice. That was maybe 3 times in 26 year. Now I just try to just ignore the day, so I don't get disappointed..  For many years, I made a special dinner and dessert and got him a present, but when nothing was reciprocated, it got old. It became obvious it meant nothing to him, so I stopped trying.  Our anniversary is a few days after Valentines Day, so there is no way to forget it. 

Our anniversary is tomorrow and usually we exchange a card and a theater size box of candy. On special anniversaries, 25th, 30th...we do something special. Last year we went to Asheville.  This year we agreed no cards or candy, which is so weird for us since it’s our tradition for Valentine’s day too. But we just don’t need either candy or cards.  We are getting takeout tomorrow, and have already picked out a new restaurant to try.  

We were married between Christmas and New Years. It is always so chaotic at that time of year and most of our marriage we couldn't afford a babysitter, so we have never really done anything fancy.  For several years we couldn't even remember what day it actually was. LOL The truth is, I would like to do something special (dinner out etc.). Someday when the kids are grown up? The one really lovely thing we do do (when we remember) is look at our wedding photos with the kids. That is lovely.