Menu

Personal covid experiences

Terabith

Just had my Covid test. So far, I have had fever, muscle aches, sore throat, and a massive head ache. I was taking 3 Advil Migraine at a time and could only get the headache to a level I could eat and sleep. 

My fever is down although must have been higher in the night because I woke up all sweaty. I go from chills to sweat as my temperature fluctuates. 

I am thinking the 2 week quarantine is a joke because I got it at the end of quarantine when my son had it.

Our governor is announcing new Covid mitigation steps. If all she says is that Iowans need to take more personal responsibility I am going to scream. 

Kelly

Edited by SquirrellyMama
  • Sad 12

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, ktgrok said:

Well, because the kid has to quarantine anyway. And it can be a big hassel to get tested -with hour plus waits in many places if you go without an appointment and take a week to get an appointment if you use one. And the test is fairly unpleasant for the kid, and won't change that they have to quarantine anyway. And if mom and dad are sick, driving the kid somewhere to wait around for an hour to get the kid tested when it won't change anything is well...not appealing. 

A very interesting attitude. 

Here if one family member has it, every single member will be tested, and most probably everyone in the street and everyone who has ever had anything to do with anyone in the family will be rushing to be tested as well. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Melissa in Australia said:

Here if one family member has it, every single member will be tested, and most probably everyone in the street and everyone who has ever had anything to do with anyone in the family will be rushing to be tested as well. 

And that is why Australia is winning and COVID in America has been labeled a humanitarian crisis. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

My great aunt (in the nursing home) that had Covid died yesterday. Covid might have hastened things, but she was placed in the nursing home initially for food refusal (dementia), and placed in hospice rather quickly before she contracted Covid. She was in her early to mid 80s. 

• Sad 14

3 hours ago, SquirrellyMama said:

Just had my Covid test. So far, I have had fever, muscle aches, sore throat, and a massive head ache. I was taking 3 Advil Migraine at a time and could only get the headache to a level I could eat and sleep. 

My fever is down although must have been higher in the night because I woke up all sweaty. I go from chills to sweat as my temperature fluctuates. 

I am thinking the 2 week quarantine is a joke because I got it at the end of quarantine when my son had it.

Our governor is announcing new Covid mitigation steps. If all she says is that Iowans need to take more personal responsibility I am going to scream. 

Kelly

I'm really sorry you're so sick 😞 

I think the 2-week quarantine is only meant for a single, isolating person. It does not work for a family, unless the idea is to see if anyone develops symptoms, and then they are free. But if someone is already sick, you need to quarantine for 2 weeks times the number of people. Sucks, I know. 

Edited by Not_a_Number
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

I'm really sorry you're so sick 😞 

I think the 2-week quarantine is only meant for a single, isolating person. It does not work for a family, unless the idea is to see if anyone develops symptoms, and then they are free. But if someone is already sick, you need to quarantine for 2 weeks times the number of people. Sucks, I know. 

Huh, I didn't know that. We were just told 2 weeks and the dates the kids could go back to school.

Just now, SquirrellyMama said:

Huh, I didn't know that. We were just told 2 weeks and the dates the kids could go back to school.

That should be only if no one else gets it.  If someone does, the two weeks starts all over.  

The two week is how long after exposure you might get symptoms or be asymptomatically infectious.  If say, you catch it from him on day 10, then it takes you 5 days to get symptoms, you can get sick after his quarantine is over, but then everyone else has now had a new exposure and the clock starts again...

• Like 5

1 minute ago, SquirrellyMama said:

And, now my dd15 has a headache and isn't feeling well. Maybe we will all get it and it will leave us alone for a couple months.

Kelly

Ugh, yeah, if you're all going to end up getting it, I'd almost want to get it all over with.  Guess the recovered person will have to play nurse and cook, tho'...  Hope you all have mild cases at most and recover quickly!!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Matryoshka said:

That should be only if no one else gets it.  If someone does, the two weeks starts all over.  

The two week is how long after exposure you might get symptoms or be asymptomatically infectious.  If say, you catch it from him on day 10, then it takes you 5 days to get symptoms, you can get sick after his quarantine is over, but then everyone else has now had a new exposure and the clock starts again...

I think this is a very common error I have heard from many others and I don't know if it from the medical angle or the lay person hearing the medical professional.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Matryoshka said:

My eldest is one of those "it's no big deal" people and I've talked till I'm blue in the face and am getting nowhere.  The next time the subject comes up again, I'll be pointing out to him that if someone besides him brings it home, eldest could be potentially quarantined for the next 4 months and that would include not going to work since he can't do his job from home.  (Yes that's the extreme version but with 8 people here, could be a possibility).

• Like 3

I'm sure everyone has read about the Moderna vaccine by now.  My aunt (immunologist with decades of experience working for big pharmaceutical labs) emailed me about it.  She is VERY, VERY EXCITED about this vaccine.  She said she read through all the data that has been released so far and says the safety data looks excellent.  My aunt is a completely unflappable person; she gets excited about nothing.  I can remember exactly two times in my life when she animated about anything, lol, and this is one of those times.   

Her words were "Sign me up!" and "There is an end to all this!"   

I thought that might give a little glimmer of hope to some people. 

• Like 18
  • Thanks 8

13 minutes ago, MissLemon said:

I'm sure everyone has read about the Moderna vaccine by now.  My aunt (immunologist with decades of experience working for big pharmaceutical labs) emailed me about it.  She is VERY, VERY EXCITED about this vaccine.  She said she read through all the data that has been released so far and says the safety data looks excellent.  My aunt is a completely unflappable person; she gets excited about nothing.  I can remember exactly two times in my life when she animated about anything, lol, and this is one of those times.   

Yay!!

I am wondering how long the different phases of people can get it?  I heard that they can have it out in December if the government approves it.  

9 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Yay!!

I am wondering how long the different phases of people can get it?  I heard that they can have it out in December if the government approves it.  

The expectation is that Moderna and Pfizer will seek Emergency Use Authorization within the next few weeks. Depending on how organized the roll out effort is 🤨 limited groups of people may start getting vaccinated very late December, early January. 

Both Moderna and Pfizer will continue tracking safety data on all trial participants for "awhile, (probably 2 years).  They cannot submit for full FDA approval of either vax until they have at least 2 months follow up of all trial participants. There are certain benchmarks the vaccine trials have to meet before they are considered "complete" and final data is submitted. 

In the trial group that received the vax, none of the participants came down with severe Covid. There were 11 cases of severe Covid in the placebo group.

Btw, my aunt does not work for Pfizer or Moderna, so I have no "insider" info on either vax, just the perspective of a very experienced scientist from this field.

• Like 11

43 minutes ago, MissLemon said:

DH has also looked at the data and was very pleased. (He's a math person, not an immunologist, so he isn't nearly as much of an expert as your aunt.) He said that it worked very well and also seemed to preclude severe disease even in infected people. So, yeah... sign me up. 

• Like 5

56 minutes ago, SquirrellyMama said:

My mil and fill have covid. My mil has Lupus and my fill has heart problems. She says they are doing well with mild symptoms. This is the same woman who broke her knee, walked around on it for a few days before deciding it really hurt, and drove herself to the doctor. 

We aren't sure how mild it really is.

Kelly

It might be mild. There are plenty of stories in this thread of really mild cases, even in older folks. (And also a few stories of tragic outcomes for younger folks. It's the weirdest virus. But it's not like being old dooms you.) 

1 minute ago, Not_a_Number said:

It might be mild. There are plenty of stories in this thread of really mild cases, even in older folks. (And also a few stories of tragic outcomes for younger folks. It's the weirdest virus. But it's not like being old dooms you.) 

I know, we just think mild to her might mean a little more serious to us. She's tough for sure!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

DH has also looked at the data and was very pleased. (He's a math person, not an immunologist, so he isn't nearly as much of an expert as your aunt.) He said that it worked very well and also seemed to preclude severe disease even in infected people. So, yeah... sign me up. 

Yep! It's just a waiting game now. I expect that by this time next year, most adults in the US will have been offered the vaccine.  I don't know exactly where the trials are at for kids, though. I think Pfizer has a trial going for kids 12-16 right now, but I'm not sure.  

I have questions about how we get undocumented people vaccinated, too.  We can't simply shrug and act like it's not our problem.   

Edited by MissLemon
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 4

2 minutes ago, MissLemon said:

Yep! It's just a waiting game now. I expect that by this time next year, most adults in the US will have been offered the vaccine.  I don't know exactly where the trials are at for kids, though. I think Pfizer has a trial going for kids 12-16 right now, but I'm not sure.  

I have questions about how we get undocumented people vaccinated, too.  We can't simply shrug and act like it's not our problem.   

I'm terrified we'll get sick NOW, just as the vaccines are coming out. My SIL just had a baby (whohoo!), but that means she's in the hospital, and my in-laws are NOT excited about waiting to see the baby, but they have to. They just have to. 

But we won't be able to get them to quarantine after seeing the pediatrician or anything, so I'm freaked out. If we get a quarantine out of them after the hospital, that's about all I can hope for. 

Edited by Not_a_Number

7 minutes ago, Ordinary Shoes said:

My mother's COVID test was positive. She says her symptoms have been mild so far, stuffy nose and sore eyes. 

They've ordered a non-rapid test for my father because his doctor says that the rapid tests aren't as effective when there are no symptoms. Not sure if that's true? He just did a virtual visit with the PCP's office and he has some mild congestion. 

They definitely got it from my niece. They visited her last week and spent a short amount of time indoors together. Everyone wore masks constantly attempted to socially distance. 

I'm having trouble not being massively pissed off about this. My niece has the rapid test because she was going to travel to NYC. So why not take a rapid test before seeing her elderly grandparents? 

This is why people should skip Thanksgiving this year. My mom says they were only in the same room with my niece for a very short time and never got that close. 

Hopefully they continue to have mild cases. My mother is 79 and my dad is 82. 

Oh no 😞 . I hope their cases stay mild. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, MissLemon said:

This is great to hear.  

Just out of curiosity, though, what was the other time that your aunt got excited about something?  

• Like 4

3 hours ago, JennyD said:

This is great to hear.  

Just out of curiosity, though, what was the other time that your aunt got excited about something?  

When she got married. 🙂 She's been married 35 years? 40 years?  

In general, she's a really calm, mild person. Very little ruffles her feathers or gets her worked up.  I've only seen her angry once in my life. 

• Like 6

My friend Michelle is not doing well.

Her husband updated that the prognosis is very poor. She is on 100% oxygen, but is only able to maintain 87% oxygen saturation. Most recent imaging shows her lungs have severe scarring and are unlikely to heal any further. She is having trouble moving CO2 out of her body.  When they have tried to decrease her sedation, her bp shoots up to 230 (sorry, I don't know the diastolic value).  On top of this, she has a bacterial pneumonia. Because of this combination of issues, she is not a good candidate for the ECMO. 

The doctor said that he's seen people come back from this situation, but not often.  She has been declining a little each day for the last several days.  Her kids and husband are going to be allowed to see her briefly tomorrow.  

If you have any prayers left, Michelle's family could use them. They need a miracle.  😢

• Sad 40

41 minutes ago, MissLemon said:

Her husband updated that the prognosis is very poor. She is on 100% oxygen, but is only able to maintain 87% oxygen saturation. Most recent imaging shows her lungs have severe scarring and are unlikely to heal any further. She is having trouble moving CO2 out of her body.  When they have tried to decrease her sedation, her bp shoots up to 230 (sorry, I don't know the diastolic value).  On top of this, she has a bacterial pneumonia. Because of this combination of issues, she is not a good candidate for the ECMO. 

The doctor said that he's seen people come back from this situation, but not often.  She has been declining a little each day for the last several days.  Her kids and husband are going to be allowed to see her briefly tomorrow.  

If you have any prayers left, Michelle's family could use them. They need a miracle.  😢

I am so sorry.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, MEmama said:

And that is why Australia is winning and COVID in America has been labeled a humanitarian crisis. 

To be honest I’m not feeling it today.  People queued for six hours today.  Apparently people were using the street as a bathroom because they didn’t want to leave the queue (these are not high socioeconomic areas either).  Tomorrow is going to be mid 30s and high 30s the day after.  You’d be at risk of picking it up while waiting.

Its fabulous that so many people are seeking testing but I hope they get the facility in place to process them more efficiently soon.  Part of the problem may be people in the areas not having access to vehicles to drive to other less busy testing sites as well.

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

7 hours ago, MissLemon said:

I wonder about how everyone will be included too. Almost everyone in the UK has an NHS GP so there's already a system to offer flu jabs to people most at risk, for example. How will the US organise this? Genuine question. 

6 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

I wonder about how everyone will be included too. Almost everyone in the UK has an NHS GP so there's already a system to offer flu jabs to people most at risk, for example. How will the US organise this? Genuine question. 

I would assume that they would organize it the way that they organize all other vaccinations.  That people could choose to get them from their regular primary care doctors or from pharmacies.  Insurance companies cover vaccines from both. 

37 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I would assume that they would organize it the way that they organize all other vaccinations.  That people could choose to get them from their regular primary care doctors or from pharmacies.  Insurance companies cover vaccines from both. 

I was thinking about staging: if there are limited supplies, would the pharmacies/doctors check individually whether a person was in a high-risk category, or would it be first-come-first-served?  I've also often heard on this board about people not being registered with a primary care doctor - is that a common thing?

8 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

I've also often heard on this board about people not being registered with a primary care doctor - is that a common thing?

We don't have a primary care doctor, specifically. We're usually (knock on wood) stupid healthy. When we ARE sick, our old primary doctors would usually have a day or two delay before we could make an appointment. So we just started going to the nearby Urgent Care Center for those sinus or ear infections, flu symptoms, etc that would pop up occasionally.

DH and I are starting to look for a regular doctor,though. There are some routine tests we should start having done now that we're getting up there in years... 😄 And urgent care doesn't do those... lol

A lot of vaccines are often given at pharmacies or even in drive-through car lines here - no routine doctor needed!

51 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

So how will limited vaccine supplies be dealt with, I'm wondering?

I remember the distribution of H1N1 vaccine. I was working in a primary care office within a hospital at the time. As an employee, I got mine in the first batch our office received. We sent postcards to priority patients of the practice (based on age, and diagnosis) in rounds as batches of the vaccine arrived. Also for anyone who came in for an already scheduled office visit, if they met the requirements, they were offered the vaccine on the spot. I recall having to help manage the vaccine frig. We could only store a certain amount at a time, so it had to be staggered carefully. 

I also remember getting a card from my child's pediatrician, telling us to show up for a specific week-end vaccine clinic, or to call if that did not work for our schedule.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, MissLemon said:

Oh no 😞 . I am so sorry to hear that. Sending all the positive energy.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Miss Lemon, prayers for Michelle.

Here Walgreens and CVS are making preparations for the vaccine — I think this has to do with refrigeration.  I’m not sure about details.  They have both advertised (?) they are making preparations but I am so vague on details. (Maybe I read this in the newspaper or heard it?  I don’t know how I know, but this is what I have in my mind.) 

My family has gotten flu shots at Walgreens, Target, and Wal-Mart.  We have also gotten them from a flu clinic and in a doctors office.  We have gotten most of our flu shots at Wal-Mart though — we lived several years in a place where the only nearby place to go was a Wal-Mart.  

CVS doesn’t take our insurance for flu shots.  Today, right now, I picture us going to the same Walgreens where we got flu shots this year to get the coronavirus vaccine someday.  

Edited by Lecka
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

I was thinking about staging: if there are limited supplies, would the pharmacies/doctors check individually whether a person was in a high-risk category, or would it be first-come-first-served?  I've also often heard on this board about people not being registered with a primary care doctor - is that a common thing?

I don’t know. But my doctor told me that I am definitely considered high risk. I don’t know if they will be able to determine that for patients and ration it out. I assume that vaccines will first go to seniors in nursing homes though. 

• Like 1

I wonder if having family members die will make you high risk according to the vaccine protocol.

I have a risk factor but honestly, because my sister has had a mild case I'm slightly less worried about it. There is obviously some genetic factor that puts you at risk and the local immunologist says he has seen many of the same family in the ICU together. It seems, from my clueless internet educated self, that if you have had multiple family members get a severe version or die from it, that even if you are younger and healthier you could be at risk for severe illness and permanent damage (heart, lung, brain)  if not death and should be allowed a vaccine before the general public.

Edited by frogger
Added vaccine
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, frogger said:

I wonder if having family members die will make you high risk according to the vaccine protocol.

I have a risk factor but honestly, because my sister has had a mild case I'm slightly less worried about it. There is obviously some genetic factor that puts you at risk and the local immunologist says he has seen many of the same family in the ICU together. It seems, from my clueless internet educated self, that if you have had multiple family members get a severe version or die from it, that even if you are younger and healthier you could be at risk for severe illness and permanent damage (heart, lung, brain)  if not death and should be allowed a vaccine before the general public.

There’s obviously a factor that puts you at risk. Is there evidence that it’s genetic, though?

Well, there is only observations of what is happening around us. One of my closest friends has a friend in California. 6 family members have gotten Covid, 4 have died and they didn't all live together.  Meanwhile, other families get it or some get it and others in the same house don't and no one dies. Often just a loss of taste and smell or maybe some cold symptoms. Obviously, the majority of cases are mild so I'm not sure the average person needs to be in fear but if I had a family member who had died from it or if my husband had a family member who died from it, it would be really hard not to get paranoid and I might go back to wiping down groceries as they came inside the house because deaths seem very clustered and often within families or communities with similar background. Since my sister hardly noticed being sick, I'm more worried about accidently spreading it without knowing then I am getting it. So that is more my reason for restricting activities and wearing masks that fit well, etc. 

I realize they have looked at specific genes, blood types, and a number of other factors. I don't know that there is strong evidence for any one thing but I think it's obvious enough to pay attention to.

Edited by frogger
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, frogger said:

Well, there is only observations of what is happening around us. One of my closest friends has a friend in California. 6 family members have gotten Covid, 4 have died and they didn't all live together.  Meanwhile, other families get it or some get it and others in the same house don't and no one dies. Often just a loss of taste and smell or maybe some cold symptoms. Obviously, the majority of cases are mild so I'm not sure the average person needs to be in fear but if I had a family member who had died from it or if my husband had a family member who died from it, it would be really hard not to get paranoid and I might go back to wiping down groceries as they came inside the house because deaths seem very clustered and often within families or communities with similar background. Since my sister hardly noticed being sick, I'm more worried about accidently spreading it without knowing then I am getting it. So that is more my reason for restricting activities and wearing masks that fit well, etc. 

I realize they have looked at specific genes, blood types, and a number of other factors. I don't know that there is strong evidence for any one thing but I think it's obvious enough to pay attention to.

I wonder if you’re right that it’s genetic. Did the family members that all got very sick live nearby and spend time together or no?

1 minute ago, Ordinary Shoes said:

Isn't there some speculation that there are slightly different strains? So a family might have more serious cases, not because of a genetic factor, but because the strain that they were exposed to is more dangerous? 

I read something months ago about that family in New Jersey that got it very early and had several deaths. There's some horse racing connection too. Anyone remember this? 

I’ve seen the speculation about strains, yes. Also, speculation that exposure to “common cold” coronaviruses might help. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

I wonder if you’re right that it’s genetic. Did the family members that all got very sick live nearby and spend time together or no?

Well,  4 of them got it early summer. 2 of them got it much later and since they were adults, they were living separately but I suppose they could have just got the same strain but there are so many stories of it taking out a large number of one family that it would make me nervous if it were me in that situation.

I had read some genetic studies about people unable to fight off covid but I would have to find them again.

That being said, even adults that lived together when younger could have been exposed to something that created a similar immune response.

Not arguing for that, just thinking out loud. 

Edited by frogger
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, MEmama said:

This is a fascinating discussion! Is anyone aware of whether having had H1N1 might potentially affect COVID symptoms, or are they in no way related? 

I would expect them to be unrelated, since one is a flu and one is a coronavirus. I think they are quite different viruses. 

You'd probably never know if you had a common cold coronavirus, since I don't think they present differently from the many, many rhinoviruses. At least I think so... correct me if I'm wrong. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Not_a_Number said:

I would expect them to be unrelated, since one is a flu and one is a coronavirus. I think they are quite different viruses. 

You'd probably never know if you had a common cold coronavirus, since I don't think they present differently from the many, many rhinoviruses. At least I think so... correct me if I'm wrong. 

Thanks! Not a rabbit trail I will attempt to search out, then. 🙂 

On 11/16/2020 at 1:46 PM, Melissa in Australia said:

They all have symptoms. Those symptoms all appeared within 2 days of each other. ,They all were exposed to the same person (her husband, their father). They know where he got it because of contact tracing at his work. Other than him at work, they have seen no one besides each other. They were doing curbside pickup for groceries and no contact delivery for restaurant food since March. The kids play in the wooden privacy fenced back yard. My niece has spoken to people at the health department where she and her husband were tested. They know about the kids. They told her what to do about quarantining everyone knowing the kids were not being tested. It's an unpleasant test for adults, let alone kids and toddlers. It's not as though they said "Oh well, we're all sick so we'll just quarantine ourselves". They were given specific instructions from a government health agency, with people at that agency knowing the entire family wasn't being tested. 

11 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Or the health department. Ours usually gives flu shots so they might give the Covid vaccine as well. 

I'm excited about the Moderna vaccine. I just read this morning that Dolly Parton helped fund the research (like a HUGE amount of money). I love her. ❤️ 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Lady Florida. said:

They all have symptoms. Those symptoms all appeared within 2 days of each other. ,They all were exposed to the same person (her husband, their father). They know where he got it because of contact tracing at his work. Other than him at work, they have seen no one besides each other. They were doing curbside pickup for groceries and no contact delivery for restaurant food since March. The kids play in the wooden privacy fenced back yard. My niece has spoken to people at the health department where she and her husband were tested. They know about the kids. They told her what to do about quarantining everyone knowing the kids were not being tested. It's an unpleasant test for adults, let alone kids and toddlers. It's not as though they said "Oh well, we're all sick so we'll just quarantine ourselves". They were given specific instructions from a government health agency, with people at that agency knowing the entire family wasn't being tested. 

Or the health department. Ours usually gives flu shots so they might give the Covid vaccine as well. 

I'm excited about the Moderna vaccine. I just read this morning that Dolly Parton helped fund the research (like a HUGE amount of money). I love her. ❤️ 

Or even certain job sites for certain essential services.  For example, my husband who works in healthcare has all of their (required) vaccines provided by his employer. 

• Like 1