Menu

UPDATE: DH tested positive

lulalu

Here are a few things I did that were somewhat helpful:

Drink copious amounts of herbal tea or favorite hot beverage. This soothed my throat and kept me hydrated.

Have good supply of Kleenex.

Sleep sitting in a more upright position to ease breathing - I sat in my recliner.

Steam treatment - fill a bowl with hot water and chamomile or peppermint leaves. Put a towel over your head and down the sides of the bowl while you inhale the steam.

Edited by Liz CA
  • Like 14

30 minutes ago, Liz CA said:

Drink copious amounts of herbal tea or favorite hot beverage. This soothed my throat and kept me hydrated.

Sleep sitting in a more upright position to ease breathing - I sat in my recliner.

Steam treatment - fill a bowl with hot water and chamomile or peppermint leaves. Put a towel over your head and down the sides of the bowl while you inhale the steam.

Thank you for the tips. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Liz CA said:

I guess I missed something in the past week or so.  Did you test positive for COVID19? 

• Like 4

On 4/5/2020 at 9:35 PM, kand said:

I’m sorry your household has caught it and pray you all have a mild course that passes quickly.

I’ve been wondering for a while how many people who are strictly following social distancing recommendations are still coming down with it, and I think you might be the first one I know of to say this. Do you have any ideas about how you would’ve gotten it from the woman in your building? Were you taking any particular precautions in the building and when you would arrive back home? Were you wearing masks at all when you went out for grocery shopping, and how often have you gone? We are overdue and really need to go, but I really hate to need to go right when we are heading into peak. No delivery available here. 

I have a family member living in a small apartment building where someone has tested positive, and I’m unsure how big a risk it is to my loved one or if there’s any advice I can give to reduce the risk.

Feel better soon. 

nm

Edited by lulalu
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Liz CA said:

Did you have Covid?

OH man. My first thought is it being in the air in the elevator, so you getting in after someone who had it just got off. 

Of course it could be someone in the store, who knows. So sorry. 

Keep hydrated, and if anyone has signs of breathing trouble, please go to the ER sooner rather than later. Hugs. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Did you have Covid?

3 of us (work, not family) had it. All are recovered. Nobody had to go to the hospital.

40 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I guess I missed something in the past week or so.  Did you test positive for COVID19? 

You didn't miss it. I didn't advertise it.

Edited by Liz CA
  • Like 16

6 minutes ago, Ktgrok said:

OH man. My first thought is it being in the air in the elevator, so you getting in after someone who had it just got off. 

Of course it could be someone in the store, who knows. So sorry. 

Keep hydrated, and if anyone has signs of breathing trouble, please go to the ER sooner rather than later. Hugs. 

Yes, so hard to know. And really impossible. 

I can only guess. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Janeway said:

If the quarantine is still going on but you already had it, wouldn't you be free to not be quarantined once you are well?

I have been back to work since I am symptom free. I wish I knew if I was now immune or not but this kind of testing may take a while to come around. I am currently taking all the precautions most others are taking - 6ft apart, wash hands, drink lots of water / tea / fluids/ try to boost immune system, etc. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Janeway said:

If the quarantine is still going on but you already had it, wouldn't you be free to not be quarantined once you are well?

There are documented cases of people getting symptoms twice. They are not certain if it was a second flare of the illness, or if they caught it (or a mutated version) the second time around. Having it once, may not prevent you from getting it again or being contagious. 

• Like 2

Oh, i am sorry to hear this.  Hope you all recover quickly and with a minimum of discomfort.  

A friend of mine in NYC tested positive and recovered quickly from everything except the cough, which lasted a long time and kept him quarantined from the rest of his family for weeks.  (His wife and kids didn't get sick, despite them all living in a small apartment.)

Edited by JennyD
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, lulalu said:

UPDATE: DH has been doing fine at home and steadily getting better. It really hasn't hit his lungs. Being high risk we planned for much worse. 

However, I have an awful cough now, and breathing is difficult. I am able to manage with what we have here at home for now. 

I am glad to hear it hasn't been too bad on your dh.  Stay aware of your breathing and chest pain.

Are you in NYC?

• Like 2

What is it like not feeling like you can breathe: can you not fill your lungs up all the way, and you feel like you are gasping? Or is it like you are trying to breathe through a heavy blanket and even if you can fill your lungs, it’s hard to get the air in them in the first place?  Did anyone give you instruction on when to go to a hospital?  How much does a person’s breathing need to be impaired before they go?

Does steam help or hinder? I read one man who said he couldn’t take showers because the steam made It harder for him to breathe. 

Does it help to take over the counter expectorant like Mucinex?  When you say you can treat it with what you have there, what are you doing to treat it?

I have so many questions, but mostly I hope you all get through this quickly and as easily as possible.

• Like 2

I am very sorry to hear this, and praying for you and your family right now.

If you are having breathing problems, shouldn't you seek on side medical help?  That seems to be what is recommended here, but I don't know what is available where you are.

I have heard good things about maximum strength Mucinex, but not sure whether they apply for this illness or not.