Menu

wuhan - coronavirus

gardenmom5

3 hours ago, Terabith said:

I have to admit I have been a bit worried about mail if postal workers have COVID (fomites) or amazon warehouse workers with packages.  

Same here.

I saw the mail truck up the street so I went out to wait for our mail, and I was curious about whether our guy would be wearing gloves or not.   No, he wasn't.  (The carrier we had at the time of the anthrax terrorism did start wearing gloves.)   Maybe I should've asked him what USPS is telling them, if anything.  I'm thinking that I already use my antibacterial wipes on the mailbox fairly regularly (bird droppings from the overhead power lines) so maybe I'll just start cleaning the door as well.  But that won't do anything for the mail. 

I've also been thinking about our newspaper.   It comes in a plastic bag in the early a.m. hours so we don't even see the person and wouldn't know if he/she is sick.

And then there are the garbage, recycle, and yard waste bins.  I only clean the insides of the garbage and yard waste cans during the summer months to prevent stink and maggots, and I always wash my hands after I bring the cans back into the yard on collection day.  The guys on the trucks all seem to wear gloves, but that only protects them.  If someone has icky stuff in their garbage cans because of sickness in the home,  I suppose it's possible that the workers could transfer germs to other neighbors' garbage cans.   (I've seen the guys on the garbage truck just open the cans and remove the trash bags without bothering to take the can over to the truck.)   Maybe this week I'll start spraying the lids with Lysol.

• Replies 24.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ausmumof3

• Pen

• Arcadia

• Melissa Louise

I didn't see shortages here either. I mean, it was a LOT busier at the Trader Joe's on Sunday. But it was week before Christmas/TG busy, not day before a blizzard busy. A few things out of stock... but I'm in a high density area. It's typical for a few things to be out of stock on any given busy weekend at many stores. They do higher volumes at the stores around me than they do at stores in many more far out suburban areas. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, MEmama said:

Perhaps now that it’s hit home my parents might take my concern more seriously. I’m doubtful they’ll take actual precautions though. 

Mine won't take any precautions. None of the people I know over 65 are taking this seriously, which is so alarming because they are more likely to suffer severely from this virus.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, popmom said:

WOW. I can't believe that. With the current opioid crisis. Man, I wish that were true for my state. It really is getting harder and harder to find doctors willing to prescribe it. You really have to have a good relationship with your doctor in my experience. I've got some hydrocodone right now, and it's like GOLD to me lol

So true!  Nothing works for me (or my kids) as well as the old-fashioned prescription codeine cough medicine.  I only need a day or two of doses to get a break from hacking.  Good sleep takes care of the rest.

We always seem to get these coughs on holidays and weekends, so we head to the urgent care place.  They don't like to write that script.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Susan in TX said:

Which is great, except for all the people that were near the patient at the mall. They've all been exposed and are all potentially dragging it through the community now.

• Like 3

https://projects.sfchronicle.com/2020/coronavirus-map/ 

LAST UPDATED: March 2, 2020 3:03 p.m.

“The Chronicle is compiling an exhaustive list of every coronavirus case in California.

43 confirmed cases in California

26 confirmed cases in the Bay Area

8,700 Californians in self-quarantine

For the 43 confirmed cases in California, the source of infection was:

10 travel outside U.S.

2 evacuated from China

20 passenger on cruise ship

7 person-to-person

4 unknown

98 confirmed cases
6 deaths in the U.S.”

• Sad 3

3 minutes ago, MissLemon said:

Mine won't take any precautions. None of the people I know over 65 are taking this seriously, which is so alarming because they are more likely to suffer severely from this virus.

Huh. My mom and her death group are apparently all on it. I swear, by the way, it's my mom who calls her neighborhood aging in place support group the "death group." Apparently they've all nicknamed it that. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

About the patient released from San Antonio quarantine who went to the mall:  

They were asymptomatic and had TWO negative test results more than 24 hours apart before getting another weak positive.  Is this like the reinfection/ biphasic viral thing we've seen in other cases, or was it just a lab error?  I'm really sympathetic if it's the first situation, because how long are you supposed to keep people in isolation/ quarantine if they have had multiple negative tests?  Besides not having room for quarantine, it's impractical and a civil rights violation to detain people indefinitely.  But we just don't seem to know enough about the nature of this virus.  

If it was a lab error or something, then that's a different story.  I am sympathetic to the patient, too.  They had been cooped up all those weeks on the Diamond Princess and then in quarantine.  They didn't know they were still infectious, and I'm sure they were beyond stir crazy.  

Sigh.  

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, Farrar said:

Huh. My mom and her death group are apparently all on it. I swear, by the way, it's my mom who calls her neighborhood aging in place support group the "death group." Apparently they've all nicknamed it that. 

My cohort of elder folks has declared the virus is "fake news".  

• Confused 1
  • Sad 7

My older folks have taken this seriously from the get go thankfully.  I sent them the message about filling out prescriptions etc early on and showed them a few of the videos from Wuhan, but even before that they were sensible.  Really hope it doesn’t get to them though.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Terabith said:

About the patient released from San Antonio quarantine who went to the mall:  

They were asymptomatic and had TWO negative test results more than 24 hours apart before getting another weak positive.  Is this like the reinfection/ biphasic viral thing we've seen in other cases, or was it just a lab error?  I'm really sympathetic if it's the first situation, because how long are you supposed to keep people in isolation/ quarantine if they have had multiple negative tests?  Besides not having room for quarantine, it's impractical and a civil rights violation to detain people indefinitely.  But we just don't seem to know enough about the nature of this virus.  

If it was a lab error or something, then that's a different story.  I am sympathetic to the patient, too.  They had been cooped up all those weeks on the Diamond Princess and then in quarantine.  They didn't know they were still infectious, and I'm sure they were beyond stir crazy.  

Sigh.  

Why was 3rd test done? Did symptoms return?

and why assume # 3 to be more accurate than first two?

Just now, Pen said:

Why was 3rd test done? Did symptoms return?

and why assume # 3 to be more accurate than first two?

Apparently they did a third test as part of routine testing but they were released before results were returned.  

San Antonio mayor is demanding the people at Lackland base from the Diamond Princess not be released from quarantine (he said indefinitely) and has permanently banned anyone who was ever in quarantine from entering the city.  Honestly, I find that reaction to be terrifying, too.  https://www.texastribune.org/2020/03/02/texas-gov-greg-abbott-asks-cdc-fix-coronavirus-quarantine-protocols/

• Like 1
  • Sad 5

5 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

125 cases and 31 deaths reported in China

if these figures are true it seems to indicate that this is possible to contain and reduce albeit with extreme measures 

I keep wondering what will happen when cities in China are not on lockdown. People can't stay home forever, and I can't imagine there wouldn't be a big resurgence.

• Like 4

One of the new cases in WA is a man in his 50s with no known contact and no underlying conditions, and he is in critical condition. I think people are being mislead by government assurances that people under 60 and without underlying conditions have very little risk, and that 80% of those who get it will experience "mild symptoms." In fact that 80% includes anyone who tests positive but isn't hospitalized. How many people have had terrible cases of flu that totally kicked their butt for a week but were never hospitalized? I once picked up a mystery virus in Cambodia that had me in bed for weeks with a fever that peaked at 106.7, and I never went near a hospital. Too many people (not saying this about anyone here, but in the larger public) seem to think "oh, well I'm under 60 and have no underlying conditions, so at worst I might get a bit of a cold, no big deal." So they don't take any precautions — and that is exactly how it spreads.

• Like 6
  • Sad 5

3 hours ago, Katy said:

Delsym 12 hour is the best thing that's universally available.

In some states (maybe every state?) you can still get over the counter Codeine cough syrup, which is more effective.  Generally chains and grocery stores won't sell it for liability reasons, but small independent pharmacies will.  You can call around and ask the pharmacies in your area.  Last time I had a bad cough (influenza A) DH went and bought some.  I think he just needed to show ID and sign a couple of forms.

PSA: Cough syrup with codeine isn't recommended for use in children under 18. https://www.aappublications.org/news/2018/01/11/Codeine011118

I wasn't aware that cough syrup with codeine was available over the counter. Even the doctor who knew me for years was stingy when prescribing it. So much so that once the pharmacist called her back because there wasn't enough in that bottle to be of much use to me. 

In a pinch, taking codeine in another form will help a cough. Once I had bronchitis but didn't know it and the cough was so terrible at night that I took some Tylenol with codeine left r from a surgery. It worked great and the next day my doctor fixed me up with a prescription cough med and some other drugs as well. 

• Like 2

From an NPR article:

Why hasn't broader testing been available until now?
The first test kits sent by the CDC to state and local labs didn't work as planned. It was a three-step process, and the third step was causing problems. The FDA subsequently authorized the use of just the first and second steps to provide a definitive diagnostic.  That set the U.S. back several weeks, and public health officials lost a crucial window to contain the virus and prevent it from getting a foothold in the U.S.  Secondly, the CDC was using very strict criteria to determine who could be tested. That's what happened with the "community spread" case last month at UC Davis Medical Center in Sacramento, Calif.  The CDC has now revised the criteria for testing to include people who are so sick that they need to be hospitalized but don't know how they might have been exposed.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2020/03/02/811314938/coronavirus-testing-what-to-know-as-it-becomes-available-across-the-u-s

Edited by DoraBora

26 minutes ago, Acadie said:

I keep wondering what will happen when cities in China are not on lockdown. People can't stay home forever, and I can't imagine there wouldn't be a big resurgence.

I have been wondering this too. Once life is back to normal, will the virus surge again?

I assume many people here saw the NASA photos of the dramatic drop in pollution over China. I can't imagine a China with breathable city air. It's... something.

I haven't seen a lot about what it's like in China outside Wuhan right now. Like, what are people in random Chinese city doing right now? What's it like in Tianjin or Foshan or Chongqing or whatever?

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

One of the new cases in WA is a man in his 50s with no known contact and no underlying conditions, and he is in critical condition. I think people are being mislead by government assurances that people under 60 and without underlying conditions have very little risk, and that 80% of those who get it will experience "mild symptoms." In fact that 80% includes anyone who tests positive but isn't hospitalized. How many people have had terrible cases of flu that totally kicked their butt for a week but were never hospitalized? I once picked up a mystery virus in Cambodia that had me in bed for weeks with a fever that peaked at 106.7, and I never went near a hospital. Too many people (not saying this about anyone here, but in the larger public) seem to think "oh, well I'm under 60 and have no underlying conditions, so at worst I might get a bit of a cold, no big deal." So they don't take any precautions — and that is exactly how it spreads.

I think officially the risk starts escalating over 40 but really escalated from 60 and above.  However we really don’t have much reliable data to go off at this point.

Safeway (Santa Clara county). Fire engine just blaze by with loud sirens. NBC Bay Area doing an interview just outside the voting area (library).

Rice is out. Japanese noodles is out. Lysol and Clorox wipes are out. Baby wipes still has plenty. Toilet paper plenty. Rubbing alcohol is out. 1 gallon bottled water is out. 240ml bottle water is plentiful. 

Staff told me they restock on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Asian food aisle restock only on Tuesday.

• Sad 1

30 minutes ago, Acadie said:

I think most of China are wondering as well.  Officially the number of cases outside Wuhan are very low.  but there’s still serious restrictions.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MissLemon said:

My cohort of elder folks has declared the virus is "fake news".  

This makes me furious at the government for sending such mixed messages and trying to downplay it for the sake of the stock market. It is both not a reason to panic and a big deal.

I saw an exchange on a friend's Facebook between someone I know and an older person who kept saying you can't compare this to "the flu" that's unscientific just because it was comparing it to an average strain of the flu whereas it was a single coronavirus strain and therefore, the whole thing of saying that it was 10 times as deadly according to the data coming out of China was completely bogus fake news. It was this argument in the service of nothing. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Farrar said:

This makes me furious at the government for sending such mixed messages and trying to downplay it for the sake of the stock market. It is both not a reason to panic and a big deal.

I saw an exchange on a friend's Facebook between someone I know and an older person who kept saying you can't compare this to "the flu" that's unscientific just because it was comparing it to an average strain of the flu whereas it was a single coronavirus strain and therefore, the whole thing of saying that it was 10 times as deadly according to the data coming out of China was completely bogus fake news. It was this argument in the service of nothing. 

The people that keep arguing the virus is "no big deal" seem to have this idea that they can just speak their own truth into existence. If they say "No big deal!" often and loudly, that makes it true.  It's like a magic spell to recite. 

• Like 9

Somebody earlier mentioned being concerned about not being able to sanitize dishes with a dishwasher. I'd quote but I can't find it. Couldn't you just put a little beach in the dish water? I have read that we should start cleaning our fresh produce in water with a small amount of bleach. I am planning on it myself, but I'll have to do some research on the dilution ratio.

Well....local report (west coast, community-spread area)...in the last 24 hrs: 

1. School district sent out a note saying that children should not show up with a cough.  Local tv station investigating the story said that the school district does not have the authority to deny a child education (ie-exclude for cough), and that that directive will have to come from the health authority. So, bureaucratic in-fighting has begun.

2. School district sent out a second email, linking pandemic health plan.  It looks like a cut and paste version of its 2009 H1N1 plan, with a couple of awkward edits. This email came out with a "we are exploring online schooling options" section and a "students receiving free/reduced costs meals will have food provided for them" paragraph.  I talked with my ds's jr high principal two weeks ago at a budget meeting and he said he believes only about 30% of families at the school have internet at home. He's probably right.  This is going to be a huge mess for high school students.  If I read between the lines, although the school must report to the health authority if 10% of kids or more are absent, I am guessing that that won't trigger a shut-down. (It didn't with the influenza earlier this season.)  Also, at some point, with the amount of community spread going on, they will no longer shut down for deep cleaning.  

3. Rheumatologist sent an email saying that they will be screening at the door. Any patient with respiratory symptoms must reschedule and must be symptom-free for 14 days before being seen. If we have urgent rheumatological needs, we are to present ourselves to the emergency room.  This raises a huge issue for those on infusion therapy + with allergy triggered asthma. As it stands, they aren't going to be able to receive infusion treatment at all unless they go through the ER.  I don't do lab infusions (I administer at home), but I can't imagine anyone willingly showing up to the emergency room right now.  

4. Probably 1/3 of my friends are bunkering in, and 2/3 of people are out living their best lives....going to large crowd events, not washing hands, etc.  Dh's coworkers are mysteriously working from home more, but official policy is that you must take PTO if you aren't in official quarantine from the state. 

I'm sharing this just so people have an idea of how one community is handling things... 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

1 minute ago, popmom said:

Somebody earlier mentioned being concerned about not being able to sanitize dishes with a dishwasher. I'd quote but I can't find it. Couldn't you just put a little beach in the dish water? I have read that we should start cleaning our fresh produce in water with a small amount of bleach. I am planning on it myself, but I'll have to do some research on the dilution ratio.

You have to be careful with bleach. It can pit metal. I don't think dishwasher manufacturer's recommend using bleach because it can wreck the washer. 

I'm not really sure that taking extra steps to sanitize one's household dishes to avoid a virus is a good use of time or bleach?  If someone in your house has a virus, you're more likely to pick it up because you live in the same house, touch sufaces they've touched, you sleep next to them, breathing the same air, etc. The dishes are the least of your problems. 

• Like 4

I asked the master's level nurse that is in charge of my cohort in nursing school if there were any plans in place at the school for the students. We go back to the hospital (in Orange County, California) for our next rotation in a few weeks (I was assigned to the ICU for my last rotation), and she told me that the school has told her nothing about any plans, that it was no big deal, that the media was blowing it out of proportion just like they did with SARS, to just wash our hands, etc. I told her that I was not feeling as optimistic as she was and I could tell that she was feeling frustrated by my concerns. We have a private FB group for our students -- only a small % of us are from California, most of the rest are in TX and Florida and other states -- and there hasn't been a single post about Coronavirus in the group. No one seems to be concerned at all.   

Edited by SeaConquest
  • Sad 8

11 minutes ago, MissLemon said:

You have to be careful with bleach. It can pit metal. I don't think dishwasher manufacturer's recommend using bleach because it can wreck the washer. 

I'm not really sure that taking extra steps to sanitize one's household dishes to avoid a virus is a good use of time or bleach?  If someone in your house has a virus, you're more likely to pick it up because you live in the same house, touch sufaces they've touched, you sleep next to them, breathing the same air, etc. The dishes are the least of your problems. 

I wasn't talking about putting it in the dishwasher! lol She was asking because she DOESN'T have a dishwasher. 😉

I've used bleach to clean my stainless sink many many times with no issues w/ pitting. I agree with you about the dishes actually, but I'm still going to bleach clean my produce as long as I can figure out how to do it safely.

Edited by popmom
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Dh's coworkers are mysteriously working from home more, but official policy is that you must take PTO if you aren't in official quarantine from the state. 

All the Clorox wipes from the office pantry mysteriously disappeared by last Friday 😉

9 minutes ago, popmom said:

but I'm still going to bleach clean my produce as long as I can figure out how to do it safely.

I've been wondering about this, too.  We eat things like apples, pear, peppers, etc. that are handled by people at the store before we bring them home.  I'd like to somehow disinfect the produce.

15 minutes ago, SeaConquest said:

I asked the master's level nurse that is in charge of my cohort in nursing school if there were any plans in place at the school for the students. We go back to the hospital (in Orange County, California) for our next rotation in a few weeks (I was assigned to the ICU for my last rotation), and she told me that the school has told her nothing about any plans, that it was no big deal, that the media was blowing it out of proportion just like they did with SARS, to just wash our hands, etc. I told her that I was not feeling as optimistic as she was and I could tell that she was feeling frustrated by my concerns. We have a private FB group for our students -- only a small % of us are from California, most of the rest are in TX and Florida and other states -- and there hasn't been a single post about Coronavirus in the group. No one seems to be concerned at all.   

It has been really, really interesting, hasn’t it?!! On one hand I pray that somehow all of this will just stop, and on the other I know it is statistically likely that in the next month we will see our ERs absolutely swamped. I really wonder if people will be able to “accept” things then or what will happen.

May this all happen slow and low enough that a lot of masks and PPE can be manufactured and shipped out soon in the meantime. 

The best possible outcome is that all of our fear and preparation truly is overblown. But the math and modeling right now is scary. 1/3 of the population affected (low number), and even just 10% of them needing hospital care (low number) is still way, way, way too many.

• Like 3
  • Sad 3

From this site, see below. http://globaled.us/peacecorps/food-and-water-preparation.asp

Soak items in a solution of one(1) tablespoon household bleach per gallon for 15 minutes and then rinse in treated water.

And from this one: https://modernsurvivalblog.com/survival-kitchen/chlorine-bleach-for-sanitizing-raw-fruits-and-vegetables/

How To Make A Chlorine Bleach & Water Solution To Sanitize Raw Fruits And Vegetables

2 teaspoons Regular Bleach (8.25% sodium hypochlorite)
1 Gallon of clean water

This will result in a 200 ppm (parts per million) chlorine solution.

Let fruit or vegetables stand in solution for at least one minute.
Then rinse with tap water or potable water.

Note: Use Regular bleach (no additives) with sodium hypochlorite as the active ingredient. Today’s Regular Clorox bleach is ‘concentrated’ at 8.25% sodium hypochlorite. If you are using Regular bleach of 5 – 6.25% sodium hypochlorite (read the label), then use 1 Tablespoon per gallon to achieve a 200 ppm sanitizing solution.

Note: For sanitizing non-food surfaces, make your own chlorine bleach & water solution.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 6

“And always speaking of Lombardy, the commissioner took a picture of the situation with the data:" we have 1,254 positive cases, of which 478 are hospitalized, in therapy intensive 127. The asymptomatic positives are 472 and the deaths have risen to 38, all people with advanced age and previous pathologies ".

This is from google translate from la repubblica.  While it’s good to see that still the confirmation is that the most risk is only in the older age group is concerning to see 1/3 of cases hospitalised.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, DoraBora said:

FWIW, I'm not so silly to believe that the US is above the rules of viral transmission, or that we are somehow superior.  My family of origin is an oil family and dh has worked in Saudi and Qatar twice, so I'm a little bit familiar with the area.  And gee whiz, there's always wikipedia.

What I meant was that, though Bahrain has enough wealth to have a perfectly good medical system, I don't know how well prepared, or unprepared, they were for this epidemic.

I would guess they are better prepared because the much more deadly MERS virus has been in that region for a few years now.  That one is much more deadly but its ability to spread is much, much lower than the COVID-19

• Like 1

Update about my husband and his university's summer plans:

He's back and we're monitoring his temps.  No fever yet thank G-d.  No other symptoms either.

He has plans to take students to Japan this summer (July) to study disasters.  Northeastern sent out an email today saying that summer 1 and 2 programs will be cancelled for any country with a State Dept/CDC level 3 or higher warning, so Iran, S Korea, Italy, and China so far.  They want affected faculty to teach the same class (or something similar) onsite in Boston or change locations (although they agree that this is likely to be impossible).  My husband can't see how that is feasible for him to do (they visit Hiroshima and more importantly Fukushima Dai-ichi nuclear plant among other fun places) but he's thinking about it as it might come to be.  The students will have issues as many of them use these summer intensive trips to finish their graduation requirements and the faculty can use the nice summer salary. 

We think that Japan has so far escaped the dreaded level 3 warning only because they are getting immense pressure because of the Olympics.  There is no way the show can go on if they get that even if the advisory goes away this close to the Games.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, popmom said:

I'm in Alabama. It was business as usual at my Publix, too. PLENTY of bleach, too. I forgot to look for alcohol. I looked at other carts. Nobody seemed to be stocking up on anything. I think most of those who are stock piling are starting with Sam's, Costco, etc. Both of those places were out of bleach with I checked this weekend.

Yes, I was in Publix in Alabama yesterday and now I remember the only thing that I couldn't get----pastuerized eggs.    I will be shopping again tomorrow at CVS and Publix again and will see if they are back in stock.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Corraleno said:

As I said earlier in the thread, I had Klebsiella Pneumonia --- a normally really deadly type and was treated at home.  This was before I had a pulmonologist and a concierge doctor.  It was over Christmas and the fact that I wasn't hospitalized  really, really negatively affected my health for at least five years after.  I know that now I have fully recovered but it has permanently worsened my asthma, though not as much as it did 7 years ago.

• Sad 3

2 hours ago, Pippen said:

PSA: Cough syrup with codeine isn't recommended for use in children under 18. https://www.aappublications.org/news/2018/01/11/Codeine011118

I wasn't aware that cough syrup with codeine was available over the counter. Even the doctor who knew me for years was stingy when prescribing it. So much so that once the pharmacist called her back because there wasn't enough in that bottle to be of much use to me. 

In a pinch, taking codeine in another form will help a cough. Once I had bronchitis but didn't know it and the cough was so terrible at night that I took some Tylenol with codeine left r from a surgery. It worked great and the next day my doctor fixed me up with a prescription cough med and some other drugs as well. 

That is just bs.  It isn't about safety at all---- it is about the anti opioid hysteria.  Cough syrup with codeine is not tasty- it is bitter and nasty.  If you have a person who does not have an addictive personality and already has issues- the amount you would be giving does not make any normal person high in the least bit---- my dh is an anomaly because he has a benign genetic liver issue where the only effect is that a number of medicines affect him much more strongly- including antihistamines, muscle relaxants, cough medicine, anesthesia, etc.

• Like 2

So, I'm thinking maybe I need to store my reusable bags for a while and go back to store bags I can throw away? What do you all think? Less germy?

Also, would microwaving mail or heating it in the stove kill COVID 19?

It's not in my area, as far as we know, but I have been thinking about my work and home daily routines and habits.

17 minutes ago, itsheresomewhere said:

Yael-  Japan has banned gathering over 1000 people.  My neighbor lives over there part of the year as her DH lives there.  She said the way they have been handling it from the beginning has been impressive.  

I agree mostly.  I live there off and on and they tend to do a good job.  But when they want to stick their heads in the sand, no one can do it better (although I bet we (the US_ are giving them a run for their money!).

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, TravelingChris said:

That is just bs.  It isn't about safety at all---- it is about the anti opioid hysteria.  Cough syrup with codeine is not tasty- it is bitter and nasty.  If you have a person who does not have an addictive personality and already has issues- the amount you would be giving does not make any normal person high in the least bit---- my dh is an anomaly because he has a benign genetic liver issue where the only effect is that a number of medicines affect him much more strongly- including antihistamines, muscle relaxants, cough medicine, anesthesia, etc.

yes. I safely took Codeine as a child, and I have given hydrocodone to my own children--as a last resort when they couldn't sleep. But it's not unsafe.