Menu

wuhan - coronavirus

gardenmom5

7 hours ago, whitehawk said:

If you haven't looked, Dr. Campbell's video interviewing an American living in Tokyo is quite interesting. Japan is doing an abysmal job with testing--you have to have a fever for four days before you can call the hotline to ask for a test! unless you're 65+, in which case it's 2 days--but does not appear to be having a lot of deaths. They have locked down and are reopening, but it seems that the Japanese customs of non-contact greeting, excellent hygiene, mask-wearing, bicycle use, and general concern for others are doing a lot to minimize the spread. The government doesn't really do mandates, but they strongly recommend or urgently request practices and people normally choose to do their part.

The interviewee had also lived in China previously and suggested that there's similar conduct in China, though apparently with different motives (complying with government directives/restrictions vs. watching out for fellow citizens). China's experience with big projects in short time frames helps with mass testing, etc.--there's a will to get things done.

His interview with Craig in Taiwan was also extremely interesting, I thought. 

• Like 1

On 5/27/2020 at 1:42 AM, Ausmumof3 said:

While we are talking about China is there some kind of push to increase birthrate?  I’ve seen several things about fertility lately.  This is the latest from global times

“Chen Xiangqun, NPC deputy and Executive Vice Governor of NE China's Liaoning Province, proposes completely lifting #FamilyPlanning policies in Northeast China first. #TwoSessions”

They have been relaxing the one child policy since they realize it won’t be extremely overcrowded if people have two kids. Rural areas families have always been allowed to have more than a child for farming help. Nothing to do with Covid19. More to do with human replacement ratio. Now it’s one child to support 6 adults (2 parents, 4 grandparents) when the parents are retirement age.

• Thanks 1

@Pen@Ausmumof3

https://www.asiaone.com/singapore/coronavirus-344-new-cases-reported-singapore

“Case 11714, a 41-year-old male Chinese national, died on Thursday (June 4) due to complications from Covid-19 after being discharged from hospital. He was confirmed to have the infection on April 22. 

According to MOH's statement, he had recovered from the infection and was discharged on May 17. He collapsed on June 4 and the coroner has certified that the cause of death was massive pulmonary thromboembolism following SARS-CoV-2 infection.”

• Sad 7

1 hour ago, Arcadia said:

@Pen@Ausmumof3

https://www.asiaone.com/singapore/coronavirus-344-new-cases-reported-singapore

“Case 11714, a 41-year-old male Chinese national, died on Thursday (June 4) due to complications from Covid-19 after being discharged from hospital. He was confirmed to have the infection on April 22. 

According to MOH's statement, he had recovered from the infection and was discharged on May 17. He collapsed on June 4 and the coroner has certified that the cause of death was massive pulmonary thromboembolism following SARS-CoV-2 infection.”

Isn't this type of thing a risk after any long illness requiring hospitalization and intubation or dialysis? Embolism, clots, etc., have always been on my radar after childbirth, surgery, hospital stays, etc.

I'm not saying it's not bad, but getting very sick often creates these kinds of problems, not specific to sars2.

Israel seems to be well on its way to a second wave.  Nothing has shown up in the hospital data yet but daily new cases are rising fast.  There's tons of testing so the positivity rate is low, which is good, but it is not at all clear that the spread will be able to be contained without reinstating some restrictions.  

We were so close....two more weeks would have made all the difference in the world.  

Edited by JennyD
  • Sad 5

26 minutes ago, EmseB said:

Isn't this type of thing a risk after any long illness requiring hospitalization and intubation or dialysis? Embolism, clots, etc., have always been on my radar after childbirth, surgery, hospital stays, etc.

I'm not saying it's not bad, but getting very sick often creates these kinds of problems, not specific to sars2.

I think people at large won’t aware of the risk of clots after recovering from COVID19. I am told to watch out for clots while on tamoxifen because it’s a known risk. Clots due to COVID19 were in the news recently as something to watch out for, but might not be when the patient that passed was discharged.

I wasn’t warned about clots after childbirth, two different gynecologist in different countries. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

I think people at large won’t aware of the risk of clots after recovering from COVID19. I am told to watch out for clots while on tamoxifen because it’s a known risk. Clots due to COVID19 were in the news recently as something to watch out for, but might not be when the patient that passed was discharged.

I wasn’t warned about clots after childbirth, two different gynecologist in different countries. 

Wow...after every birth (5, all with different providers) I've been given counsel on what to look for for clots or embolism,  or what needs to be seen in the ER right away. After my DH did a stint in the ICU a few years ago we were given similar info when discharged. I know covid is being looked at as a vascular disease now, but AFAIK, there are a lot of risks associated with hospitalization and intensive care treatment that are not unique to covid, clotting and embolism being two of those things. Again, not trying to downplay it, but it's another reason to take this thing seriously. Even just being in a hospital bed for any length of time increases risks of all sorts of things.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

Quick encouraging summary out of Pennsylvania, this fits with what is being observed across the country in terms of infection rates and virulence, as well as severity 🙂

https://disrn.com/news/u-of-pittsburgh-medical-center-covid-19-has-become-less-prevalent-isnt-making-people-as-sick

I have wondered if the virus is going to/is currently mutating to a milder form. I hope this points to some possibility in that direction. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ordinary Shoes said:

Cases are surging in Arizona, about 2 weeks after things opened up. 

Dr. Bessel discusses Banner Health COVID-19 data during press conference

I wonder what’s going on in Arizona? We’ve been open more than a month here and things are fine. Also,  many places seemed to ditch the idea that ventilators were really helping early on. I know where I am that we have like more than 80% of our ventilators available and only about 4% of Covid patients on one. It seems most places are seeing a decline in severity so it’s interesting.

2 minutes ago, EmseB said:

Has anyone seen the footage of protests in Philly and Chicago today? I don't think there's any going back to any kind of distancing measures even if it was warranted.

I for one look at those images and want to double down on the distancing, at least until another few weeks have gone by and hopefully we see that it really doesn't spread well outdoors...

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Matryoshka said:

I for one look at those images and want to double down on the distancing, at least until another few weeks have gone by and hopefully we see that it really doesn't spread well outdoors...

Right, but all the people who have been wanting to open up and go back to normal this whole time??? The people who couldn't have funerals, weddings, or be in the hospital with their preemie babies because NICUs are closed even to parents? All the people who thought the shutdowns were an exercise in government control?

1 hour ago, matrips said:

I thought this thread was at 305 pages yesterday. What happened to bring it down?

Maybe a poster has been removed from the forum entirely. I think that is the reason. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Terabith said:

If a poster is removed, all of their posts are removed, too???

It appears that way to me. I don’t think it used to be so but it looks like it to me now. Maybe it’s only by request for the poster, i.e., “please delete all my content.” I imagine the mods can do it; that’s what they do when trolls come in and spam fifteen threads. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Joker said:

wonder what’s going on in Arizona? We’ve been open more than a month here and things are fine. Also,  many places seemed to ditch the idea that ventilators were really helping early on. I know where I am that we have like more than 80% of our ventilators available and only about 4% of Covid patients on one. It seems most places are seeing a d

Not all of Arizona is fine.  This article says the states largest health care system is almost maxed out and Covid hospitalization have been over 1000 daily for the last 5 days.  

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.azcentral.com/amp/3163102001

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Cnew02 said:

Not all of Arizona is fine.  This article says the states largest health care system is almost maxed out and Covid hospitalization have been over 1000 daily for the last 5 days.  

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.azcentral.com/amp/3163102001

I was referring to my state being fine but wasn’t clear. Just curious what’s happening in Arizona since other places have been open longer and aren’t seeing those increases.

2 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Wow.  Flu cases are way down this year.

A31D747C-4625-4BFD-988C-AD2B1907DFAA.png

Well, that makes sense. Social distancing limits the spread of... everything.  Is that chart for you guys down under? I was having a confusing moment wondering why flu cases were going up on the spring... Fall makes more sense!

• Like 3

6 hours ago, EmseB said:

Some people with Covid who have not been hospitalized or bedridden have died suddenly from clots. Even healthy teenagers. A 16 year old in our area was on the mend, feeling better, but died suddenly from a stroke. I also read an MD’s account of treating a Covid patient’s clot and as soon as the clot was removed, another began to form. Very weird!

For intubated patients, a small study was done that showed giving a therapeutic dose of an anticoagulant helped patients with no signs of clots survive. Normally, they’d likely give a smaller, prophylactic dose but the larger, therapeutic dose worked better.

N-acetyl-cysteine might also help prevent clots but it’s probably best to only take it until vaccine or reliable treatment arrives or the virus has definitely become milder.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

twitter thread estimating likely impact of protests on covid cases.  Very rough estimates but interesting reading.

600K daily protesters, though? I’m not a numbers gal but that seems too high to me.  I have no imagination for numbers, though, so maybe! 

14 hours ago, Quill said:

600K daily protesters, though? I’m not a numbers gal but that seems too high to me.  I have no imagination for numbers, though, so maybe! 

I think that's a good # for some days but not all days. But he makes so many other assumptions that could be high (# of infected in the crowd) or low (# of other people infected by each sick person there). Plus, masks, outdoors (both theoretically lowering transmission), chanting, close contact, coughing from tear gas/pepper spray  (raising risk of transmission) all figure in & are dependent on location. Lots not masking in some areas but almost everyone masking in others.

I continue to hope that the sun/air outdoors lowers the transmission.

Edited by RootAnn
Typo/autocorrect
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, BeachGal said:

N-acetyl-cysteine might also help prevent clots but it’s probably best to only take it until vaccine or reliable treatment arrives or the virus has definitely become milder.

Do you know of NAC dangers?

I thought it was quite a safe supplement at ~1000mg /day.  

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, mathnerd said:

Strange/unusual symptoms of COVID: these links have a list of symptoms that we don't normally associate with COVID.

https://time.com/5837591/unusual-symptoms-of-coronavirus/

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/strange-symptoms-flare-ups-weeks-long-illnesses-for-some-covid-19-survivors-1.5587446

I saved a link to the CBC article for potential future reference. 

It mentions some symptoms that people I know where we suspect CV19 though no test done irl say they have had ...  

23 hours ago, Terabith said:

If a poster is removed, all of their posts are removed, too???

It is if I ban them. I assume SWB has other powers, but the only way I can ban someone is to mark them as a spammer, so that's what I do when people ask me to ban them.

On 6/6/2020 at 1:24 PM, Joker said:

https://www.wthr.com/article/health-official-no-new-covid-19-cases-missouri-parties-1

Looks like some good news. They are saying they only had the one case of Covid show up from the huge pool party in Missouri over Memorial Day weekend. I think we’re right at the two week mark. 

I worry that it might be too soon to tell though. Most of the people at the pool party were young and there was a fair amount of negative reaction to them locally so I wonder if they would be too keen to seek testing if their symptoms are relatively mild. I'm a bit concerned about the people they might pass it on to, who may not be in the same age group. Even then we may never know because I'm not too sure how much enthusiasm there is for contract tracing etc around here. I believe the one case they know about is from a county near by and that county is having a bit of an increase right now. 

• Like 3

If Covid can be transmitted through feces and urine and the droplets that can come up when you flush that does not bode well for public bathrooms or bathrooms in schools and office buildings, does it? We will need these bathrooms when we open up? Will they disinfect the toilet after each person uses it?

@Ausmumof3@Pen@lewelma

New Zealand 🇳🇿 

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/world/new-zealand-covid-19-no-active-case-coronavirus-12814532

“WELLINGTON: New Zealand has no active COVID-19 cases after the country's final patient was given the all-clear and released from isolation, health authorities said Monday (Jun 8). 

The milestone was "really good news" and an achievement the whole of New Zealand could take heart from, health department director-general Ashley Bloomfield said.

"Having no active cases for the first time since Feb 28 is certainly a significant mark in our journey but, as we've previously said, ongoing vigilance against COVID-19 will continue to be essential," he said in a statement.

New Zealand has won praise for its handling of the pandemic, which involved a strict seven-week lockdown that ended last month after the virus was contained.

The South Pacific nation, with a population of five million, has had 1,154 confirmed cases and 22 deaths.

There have been no new infections for 17 days and, until Monday, just one active case for more than a week.

Details of the final patient were not released for privacy reasons but it is believed to be a woman aged in her 50s who was linked to a cluster at an Auckland nursing home.

"(The) remaining case has been symptom-free for 48 hours and is regarded as recovered. The person has now been released from isolation," the health department said.

Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern is expected to announce later Monday that New Zealand will this week move to alert Level 1, the lowest rating on its four-tier virus response system.

Under the change, international border restrictions will remain in place but the final domestic curbs - such as limits on public gatherings and mandatory social distancing - will be removed.”

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, Arcadia said:

Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern is expected to announce later Monday that New Zealand will this week move to alert Level 1, the lowest rating on its four-tier virus response system.

Under the change, international border restrictions will remain in place but the final domestic curbs - such as limits on public gatherings and mandatory social distancing - will be removed.”

We are moving to level 1 as of Midnight tonight.

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Worldwide past 7million cases and US passed 2 million on worldometer 

And as you probably already reported, deaths are past 400,000 — which has mostly been in just the last two months.  And though China seems flat, and Oceania doing well, Europe, and North and South America look to still be on exponential rise in deaths.  And looks like Africa will join that.

4 hours ago, Pen said:

Deaths

from Ourworldindata.org

CA3AA90A-A33B-4999-B4BA-234A55AB3179.jpeg

• Sad 1

On 6/6/2020 at 3:26 PM, Quill said:

Maybe a poster has been removed from the forum entirely. I think that is the reason. 

I was in another thread, and I noticed one specific name that was missing. I don't know if there is more than one. I just noticed that particular name because their posts were really harsh in tone and would seem to try to pick a fight with other people. So much so, I tried to scroll past because those posts came off rather politically charged. I noticed that on this thread as well.

Edited by calbear
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, kiwi mum said:

We are moving to level 1 as of Midnight tonight.

Stadiums!  They are allowing people to attend events in stadiums!  There are no social distancing requirements, no limitations on group size, and no suggestion to wear masks. 

Edited by lewelma
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, Pen said:

I saved a link to the CBC article for potential future reference. 

It mentions some symptoms that people I know where we suspect CV19 though no test done irl say they have had ...  

here is some more of it (tinnitus? arthritis? who knew?)

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/15/weird-hell-professor-advent-calendar-covid-19-symptoms-paul-garner

• Like 3

another thread about potential impacts of protests plus opening.  It does have some strong political opinions so be warned, however also had some graphs as to where various states, locations are at in case that’s of interest.  Utah, Arkansas, Arizona and the Carolinas Of most concern  

• Like 2