Menu

wuhan - coronavirus

gardenmom5

7 hours ago, Melissa in Australia said:

Here in Australia the indigenous people call themself Black Fella, of course non aboriginal people just call them indigenous people or Aboriginal. So not everyone in the world would be offended. 

When I lived in Brazil we were described by color (morena, for example) not race or an ancestral country.  That may be different now.

7 hours ago, Melissa in Australia said:

I would have said a person with darker skin. And probably caused all sorts of offence 

With regard to vitamin D, Darker skin is afaik the issue. Someone with darker skin from, say, Spain would have a similar vitamin D production issue as someone of part African ancestry with similar skin melanin. At least to the best of my knowledge, the difficulty with producing vitamin D relates to the pigment (flip side of protection from sun burn) not to politics or ethnic affiliation. 

The man in the video was particularly speaking to the people of India because it is (they are) so very extremely at risk. 

However, Vitamin D may not be the only issue relevant to CV19 that has aspects related to ethnicity or skin pigment. And unfortunately IMO the current political climate is such that discussion of these seems to be pretty much off The table, for example possible ACE2 differences. Or possible blood clotting differences. But those really would only relate to in hospital care situation, whereas Vitamins are things we can work on at home. 

https://www.kare11.com/article/news/local/breaking-the-news/african-american-or-black-which-term-should-you-use/89-0364644d-3896-4e8b-91b1-7c28c039353f

terminology in medical contexts (British):

https://jech.bmj.com/content/58/6/441

9 hours ago, Melissa in Australia said:

Here in Australia the indigenous people call themself Black Fella, of course non aboriginal people just call them indigenous people or Aboriginal. So not everyone in the world would be offended. 

I would have said a person with darker skin. And probably caused all sorts of offence 

As Sneezy pointed out, the word Fella (fellow in standard English, correct?) is the difference. I think that communities who have had a history of being dehumanized are especially conscious of terms that don’t include a noun with the modifier. In a nonracial example it would be someone who wanted to be called an “autistic person “ vs “an autistic”.  

• Thanks 4

2 hours ago, Pen said:

However, Vitamin D may not be the only issue relevant to CV19 that has aspects related to ethnicity or skin pigment. And unfortunately IMO the current political climate is such that discussion of these seems to be pretty much off The table, for example possible ACE2 differences. Or possible blood clotting differences. But those really would only relate to in hospital care situation, whereas Vitamins are things we can work on at home. 

Actually, there may be other things that can be worked on at home that tend also to be different, such as zinc and magnesium  (again tending to be a global deficiency problem, but perhaps even more so in some populations), and arginine levels which tend apparently to be lower in some groups (and may have some protection re coronavirus, though tends to promote shingles, so unclear). 

breathing exercises to promote NO which may tend to be biologically lower  could be done at home 

Nitric Oxide

NO specifically alters a surface protein on SARS-1, known as the spike protein, such that it cannot attach to the ACE2 receptor. This results in blocking viral entry into the cell as well as the subsequent replication of the virus. Since SARS-CoV-2 shares the same mechanism of cell entry, we can relatively confidently assume that NO would have a similar effect regarding this novel virus.  “

About NO, suggested foods to eat etc:

https://www.clinicaleducation.org/resources/reviews/are-you-nitric-oxide-deficient-part-1-of-2/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Pen said:

That's a fascinating article, thanks for linking it!

Do you happen to know if there are any effective supplements for people who are deficient in NO? I worry about DS — when he's on campus, he can literally go weeks at a time where the only "vegetables" consumed will be tomato sauce and various potato products. 🤦‍♀️

6 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

That's a fascinating article, thanks for linking it!

Do you happen to know if there are any effective supplements for people who are deficient in NO? I worry about DS — when he's on campus, he can literally go weeks at a time where the only "vegetables" consumed will be tomato sauce and various potato products. 🤦‍♀️

Here’s link to part 2

https://www.clinicaleducation.org/resources/reviews/are-you-nitric-oxide-deficient-part-2-of-2-2/

I know some supplements, but not if they are themselves safe.  Arginine and Citrulline supposed to be NO promoting (or in case of arginine, necessary for the NO metabolic pathway) for example.  If he is low in arginine (lots of people are, especially possibly again a particular problem on India subcontinent and for some other groups as with D and zinc and magnesium) I would definitely supplement that, but not sure about if arginine is already normal.  I think these are both optimum level exists and both too high and too low are problems, not where too much is just excreted, but I am not sure of that either. 

Could he be encouraged toward greens? 

And I think beets are also good, but, um, probably even harder to achieve than greens. 

Or exercise? I think people of far north latitudes had help of exercise rather than greens. 

@Corraleno 

For the nitrates for a vegetable non eater:

Celery powder?  

Maybe a V8 type juice?

(I think probably ***all*** aspects of the NO pathway have to be there— sufficient Nitrate, ***and**  sufficient arginine, for example)

Edited by Pen

I just watched a video on the BBC news website about patients getting turned away from hospitals in India because of insufficient resources or fear of treating Covid 19 patients. Does anyone know which aid agencies are working in India at the moment? I know Medecins Sans Frontieres are working in various countries.

• Sad 2

9 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Major problem!

Numbers still “fairly” low, but exponential graph curve! 

Great concern it could become worst hit part of world very fast. 

Edited by Pen
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Pen said:

Here’s link to part 2

https://www.clinicaleducation.org/resources/reviews/are-you-nitric-oxide-deficient-part-2-of-2-2/

And I think beets are also good, but, um, probably even harder to achieve than greens. 

Or exercise? I think people of far north latitudes had help of exercise rather than greens. 

No way to get him to eat greens, but the info in the linked article about beets was very useful, because (1) beet powder is available in capsules and (2) apparently Olympic athletes use it to improve performance and recovery time, so that is perfect for him. Thank you SO much — these links have been super helpful! 👍

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

As Sneezy pointed out, the word Fella (fellow in standard English, correct?) is the difference. I think that communities who have had a history of being dehumanized are especially conscious of terms that don’t include a noun with the modifier. In a nonracial example it would be someone who wanted to be called an “autistic person “ vs “an autistic”.  

Here Fella would be pigeon English for man so black fella =black man

as I said non aboriginal don't use this term

• Like 2

https://youtu.be/kmo_1Tcdp30

https://youtu.be/kmo_1Tcdp30

today Dr John global update starts with India.  I think he worked there in past and has contacts and interest in the area.  

My halfsister has done volunteer medical work in India, and I know from her there’s a widespread severe infrastructure problem , which will probably worsen with pandemic plus monsoon season .

Earlier there had been reports of landlords kicking doctors out of housing (for fear of CV19) as yet another problem. 

• Sad 3

I got another chest xray (still clear). Covid test in an urgent care office tomorrow person with the promise of a live person listening to me breathe!

DS was negative for strep and was given a C19 test (results Sunday?), but it seems likely he got a different viral throat thing at the orthodontist.

It took pretty much the entire day to accomplish the above. And DH called his doctor to see if they'd refer him for a good antibody test (his office reopens next month) and they told him they're not doing that. I assume that's because LabCorp is all that can be had here, even though Cellex is a local company and Abbott is supposed to be nationwide. This is a problem if I'm still sick and they want him to go back and we don't know his status. His workplace is set up for collaboration, not distancing. Tests, new cases, and hospitalizations are all up in NC.

From the state dashboard (https://covid19.ncdhhs.gov/latest-updates) this afternoon:

Today is North Carolina’s highest day of new cases (1,768) since the pandemic started. COVID-19 remains a serious threat to our state and the trends are concerning.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

BTW the hospital let me walk in with just a temperature screening (I did have a cloth mask on); and employees were not very successful about wearing masks correctly and all the time, except the person who actually did my xray.

The other 2 patients I saw, by contrast, wore cloth masks and stayed as far from me as possible.

• Sad 2

50 minutes ago, whitehawk said:

I got another chest xray (still clear). Covid test in an urgent care office tomorrow person with the promise of a live person listening to me breathe!

DS was negative for strep and was given a C19 test (results Sunday?), but it seems likely he got a different viral throat thing at the orthodontist.

It took pretty much the entire day to accomplish the above. And DH called his doctor to see if they'd refer him for a good antibody test (his office reopens next month) and they told him they're not doing that. I assume that's because LabCorp is all that can be had here, even though Cellex is a local company and Abbott is supposed to be nationwide. This is a problem if I'm still sick and they want him to go back and we don't know his status. His workplace is set up for collaboration, not distancing. Tests, new cases, and hospitalizations are all up in NC.

From the state dashboard (https://covid19.ncdhhs.gov/latest-updates) this afternoon:

Can your husband wear a mask? Assume he is not immune?

It sounds like if your lungs are clear you may have bronchitis or asthma? For troubles breathing, but not pneumonia, and assuming normal heart

17 minutes ago, Pen said:

Can your husband wear a mask? Assume he is not immune?

He will have trouble tolerating it all day, on phone calls, etc. And he has to eat lunch somewhere (as does everybody else), which can't be done masked--outdoor lunch would be Very Unpopular at midday in the hottest part of the year (and it rains quite a bit here, too).

And it's not just him--there's no indication that our local numbers will be better in a month. He says he thinks they'll push the date out. But it would still be nice to know if he's had it. If so, we would be the poster family for blood type O vs. A for the ACE receptor variation hypothesis.

Meanwhile, Instacart made good money from us today.

Is anyone aware of a study that looks at results of testing for COVID in someone who had symptoms for awhile, had no symptoms, and then they returned months later?  I suspect COVID but the recent test was negative. The person was never tested the first time. Also, does anyone know if they could still be contagious in this scenario? I was thinking I read no (somewhere)?

1 hour ago, whitehawk said:

He will have trouble tolerating it all day, on phone calls, etc. And he has to eat lunch somewhere (as does everybody else), which can't be done masked--outdoor lunch would be Very Unpopular at midday in the hottest part of the year (and it rains quite a bit here, too).

Masks and Eating lunch etc: 

This is going to be a problem in all sorts of situations IMO. Jobs, schools, etc.  I think it deserves a thread of its own. 

Possibly a comfortable enough mask would work for talking on phone, but clearly not for eating. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pen said:

This is going to be a problem in all sorts of situations IMO. Jobs, schools, etc.  I think it deserves a thread of its own. 

Taiwan’s yellow dividers for school https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-taiwan-schools/taiwan-school-uses-dividers-during-lunch-to-counter-coronavirus-idUSKBN21029K

• Like 4

Beijing - I have seen tweets that Covid was found on a salmon chopping board, that salmon is unlikely to be a virus vector, that 10,000 people are being tested and that Beijing residents are being urged to maintain wartime measures.  Residents from 11 residential complexes In Fengtai district are being asked to stay at home.  Another market has extended hours to make up for the other market  closing.

Edited by Ausmumof3

20 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I have a friend whose son has severe autism. That is her hill to die on. I learned from her that “your son with autism” was way preferable to “your autistic son.” Small change. Worth the effort. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Quill said:

I have a friend whose son has severe autism. That is her hill to die on. I learned from her that “your son with autism” was way preferable to “your autistic son.” Small change. Worth the effort. 

And there is not consensus with everyone. Youngest is insistent she is not someone “with autism” and instead “is autistic”. It’s just who she is and not something she has like cancer. 🤷‍♀️

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, Joker said:

And there is not consensus with everyone. Youngest is insistent she is not someone “with autism” and instead “is autistic”. It’s just who she is and not something she has like cancer. 🤷‍♀️

Pretty much the same for DS21, although he doesn't care all that much either way.

• Like 3

I guess the schools in Taiwan have a way to sanitize the lunch dividers? It would be a bit trickier in workplaces where people don't have their own desk space & adults would need much taller dividers than young kids. DH would probably just as soon eat in the parking garage.

I googled to see what's being recommended. Connecticut says employees can only take masks off long enough to eat and drink and breaks should be staggered.

I suspect a lot of company break rooms are small on the assumption that people will eat at a restaurant or something. I'll start a thread.

• Like 1

crossing fingers!  The stadium is sold out in Auckland! 40k capacity.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/super-rugby/121814873/super-rugby-aotearoa-eden-park-sold-out-for-blues-v-hurricanes-blockbuster

BLM marches in all major cities today. Look at the photos: no masks required. 

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/national/418971/thousands-of-nzers-march-for-black-lives-matter

We are about ready to find out how well we have eliminated the virus.

Edited by lewelma
  • Like 10

https://nltimes.nl/2020/06/12/shocking-nearly-recovered-covid-19-health-issues-months-later

long term impact of Covid.  I’m not familiar with the source so not sure about reliability.

“Many recovered coronavirus patients who did not need to be hospitalized are still facing serious health problems months later, according to a study commissioned by the Longfonds. While 94 percent say they do not feel as healthy as they did before the viral infection, some 60 percent of this group said they still have breathing symptoms which make it difficult to take a walk, and nearly half are unable to exercise, Longfonds director Michael Rutgers said in a statement. "We find this really shocking."

The Longfonds, treatment center CIRO, and Maastricht University surveyed 1,600 people who reported they had symptoms after recovering from the coronavirus. Rutgers said it was the first time that these patients have really come into the picture, as most were never treated in medical centers. Longfonds and CIRO said 91 percent of respondents were not hospitalized, and 43 percent were never formally tested for Covid-19, the respiratory disease caused by this SARS-CoV-2 coronavirus.

These recovered patients told researchers that they still suffer from symptoms like tightness in the chest, fatigue, headaches, or shortness of breath almost three months after recovering. 85 percent of participants said they were in good health before getting the coronavirus. Only six percent said that their health is back to what it was before their infection. The average age of those surveyed was 53.”

• Like 1

From CGTN “Six more areas in #Beijing have upgraded their #coronavirus risk level to medium. Meanwhile, Huaxiang Town in Beijing's southern Fengtai District goes from medium to high risk, after Beijing detected 36 more coronavirus cases Saturday, an app of China's State Council shows."

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

https://nltimes.nl/2020/06/12/shocking-nearly-recovered-covid-19-health-issues-months-later

long term impact of Covid.  I’m not familiar with the source so not sure about reliability.

“Many recovered coronavirus patients who did not need to be hospitalized are still facing serious health problems months later, according to a study commissioned by the Longfonds. While 94 percent say they do not feel as healthy as they did before the viral infection, some 60 percent of this group said they still have breathing symptoms which make it difficult to take a walk, and nearly half are unable to exercise, Longfonds director Michael Rutgers said in a statement. "We find this really shocking."

The Longfonds, treatment center CIRO, and Maastricht University surveyed 1,600 people who reported they had symptoms after recovering from the coronavirus. Rutgers said it was the first time that these patients have really come into the picture, as most were never treated in medical centers. Longfonds and CIRO said 91 percent of respondents were not hospitalized, and 43 percent were never formally tested for Covid-19, the respiratory disease caused by this SARS-CoV-2 coronavirus.

These recovered patients told researchers that they still suffer from symptoms like tightness in the chest, fatigue, headaches, or shortness of breath almost three months after recovering. 85 percent of participants said they were in good health before getting the coronavirus. Only six percent said that their health is back to what it was before their infection. The average age of those surveyed was 53.”

The source may be fine, but the study was based on an online survey. That would be questionable enough on its own, but the survey questions look like they were asked on a website that is designed to provide support to people with lingering symptom... Clearly there is a huge self-selection bias at play here.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, TracyP said:

The source may be fine, but the study was based on an online survey. That would be questionable enough on its own, but the survey questions look like they were asked on a website that is designed to provide support to people with lingering symptom... Clearly there is a huge self-selection bias at play here.

Yes good point.  The fact that the age of the sample size was older made me think there was likely some selection bias going on.  That said I don’t think they were doing a calculation as to the percentage of people experience lingering symptoms it was more a breakdown of what those symptoms were in the people that had them?  

Edited by Ausmumof3
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

From CGTN “Six more areas in #Beijing have upgraded their #coronavirus risk level to medium. Meanwhile, Huaxiang Town in Beijing's southern Fengtai District goes from medium to high risk, after Beijing detected 36 more coronavirus cases Saturday, an app of China's State Council shows."

It is so disorienting to read stuff like this!  Beijing finds 36 cases and goes into high alert and we have places about to slip into NYC conditions and we’re just carrying on as normal!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, TCB said:

It is so disorienting to read stuff like this!  Beijing finds 36 cases and goes into high alert and we have places about to slip into NYC conditions and we’re just carrying on as normal!

I would not take those numbers as gospel truth ... they had officially something like 9 cases in Heilongjiang and built a new hospital.  However they do seem to take it more seriously than the US.

• Like 2

On 6/12/2020 at 5:20 PM, Pen said:

Possibly a comfortable enough mask would work for talking on phone, but clearly not for eating. 

I work in pharmacy and talking on the phone with a mask creates problems when talking to patients. Especially  older ones who have reduced hearing. The mask muffles the sounds and we end up having to talk much louder or remove our masks to be heard/understood. I notice that there are times I unconsciously remove my mask on the phone. Another odd phone problem is that we wear disposable N95 masks that stick out from our face. Love the style, but it rubs on the phone making noise. LOL OY!  The problems we have now that I  never would have considered 6 months ago. 

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

I would not take those numbers as gospel truth ... they had officially something like 9 cases in Heilongjiang and built a new hospital.  However they do seem to take it more seriously than the US.

I wish they would tell the truth so we could know when we should be panicking lol! 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Tap said:

I work in pharmacy and talking on the phone with a mask creates problems when talking to patients. Especially  older ones who have reduced hearing. The mask muffles the sounds and we end up having to talk much louder or remove our masks to be heard/understood. I notice that there are times I unconsciously remove my mask on the phone. Another odd phone problem is that we wear disposable N95 masks that stick out from our face. Love the style, but it rubs on the phone making noise. LOL OY!  The problems we have now that I  never would have considered 6 months ago. 

That definitely sounds like a problem. 

And you’re right, so many things have changed and become problems now!

Many office workers might only be in a simple cloth mask though, not an N95, and not a design that curves away from face.

I wonder if a personal set of ear buds with microphone could be fed through or behind a mask with the microphone in inside of the mask, and if that would allow talking clearly and not hugely reduce the mask effectiveness?  For taking on mobile phones.

maybe there would be a way to do something like that with a regular phone headset. Or even a regular phone headset that would have the microphone at a correct distance and location to incorporate a curved out N95 without rubbing and rustling and with less distortion 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, TCB said:

I wish they would tell the truth so we could know when we should be panicking lol! 

Now. The new cluster is a large market in Beijing 

From the govt backed news network https://news.cgtn.com/news/2020-06-14/COVID-19-in-Beijing-Inside-Xinfadi-biggest-wholesale-market-in-Asia-RjgKHh6HPW/index.html

“For nearly 60 days, the Chinese capital, a city of over 21 million people, did not report a single local case of the deadly virus. Yet in just two days, 42 new infections were confirmed, all of which were linked to a wholesale agriculture market called Xinfadi. The market was immediately closed after the virus was detected. 

Xinfadi is not just any wholesale market in Beijing – it is the market. It has the highest sales volume of any wholesale agricultural market in Asia, based on the introduction on Xinfadi's official website.

Its closure could disrupt the food supply chain in the city, potentially leading to shortages in the capital and beyond.”

Edited by Arcadia
Typo
  • Sad 6

@TCB@Terabith@Ausmumof3@Pen

https://www.caixinglobal.com/2020-06-14/china-southerns-bangladesh-flight-suspended-after-17-virus-cases-found-101567114.html

China Southern’s Bangladesh Flight Suspended After 17 Virus Cases Found

What’s new: A weekly flight between the Bangladeshi capital of Dhaka and the Eastern China city of Hangzhou was discovered to have 17 people who tested positive for Covid-19, according to the official Xinhua news agency.

Under a policy announced by China’s aviation regulator earlier this month, the occurrence will trigger a “circuit breaker” that will see China Southern flight CZ392 suspended for four weeks starting from June 22.”

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

A local children's hospital just announced that Covid cases among children, severe enough to require hospitalization, has recently more than tripled. They're not sure what is causing the increased cases they're seeing now among children and are urging parents to be cautious.

• Like 1
  • Sad 11

1 hour ago, mom2scouts said:

A local children's hospital just announced that Covid cases among children, severe enough to require hospitalization, has recently more than tripled. They're not sure what is causing the increased cases they're seeing now among children and are urging parents to be cautious.

Is that in Cleveland?  

Pictures I see, there’s little SDING, relatively few masks...

And even on WTM, Ohio resident attitudes often seem to be nonchalant about getting it.  A certain number of kids do get quite bad to severe cases.  Some by reference to the juvenile CV19 deaths in France and UK, seem to have especially severe cases seemingly super infectious and quicker from first symptoms to death than many adult cases. 

• Sad 2

39 minutes ago, Pen said:

Is that in Cleveland?  

https://www.cleveland19.com/2020/06/12/uh-rainbow-babies-childrens-hospital-sees-an-increase-covid-cases/

“As the pandemic took hold, children were testing positive for Covid-19 at just 1 to 2 percent, according to UH’s Dr. Amy Edwards.

“That’s creeping up to like 4 percent or 5 percent, and actually, if you look at just the last seven days it’s more like 7 percent so we’re definitely seeing an upward trend,” Dr. Edwards said.

It is important to note, Dr. Edwards says, that compared to adults there are still a relatively small amount of children’s cases, but it’s a significant enough marker that she wants to make sure that parents do not let their guard down when it comes to keeping their children protected.

It’s unclear why the infection rate in children has risen.

Throughout the majority of the pandemic, Dr Edwards said, very few children were admitted to the pediatric Covid -19 unit at Rainbow, but in the children’s cases they have seen recently, the symptoms have been severe.

“We’ve had very few kids admitted to our Covid unit, but in the last couple of weeks we’ve actually had periods when our unit has been full,” she said.”

• Sad 6