Menu

wuhan - coronavirus

gardenmom5

2 hours ago, Plum said:

I came on here to see if anyone had mentioned this. One of the people I’ve been following on FB who is crunching the numbers just said on his page that Arizona needed to be on lockdown now or Phoenix might be as bad or worse than NY in 2 weeks time.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 3

2 hours ago, CuriousMomof3 said:

I would also note that it's quite possible to have ASD and a genetic disorder.  I work with many students with Down syndrome, as well as students with less common genetic disorder, who have co-occurring ASD.  In my mind those children absolutely have ASD and thinking of them that way, helps connect them with resources and strategies that will work for them. 

Do you know if there is a correlation between blood type and ASD?  Some research shows that patients with blood type A are more susceptible to covid than type O.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CuriousMomof3 said:

I would also note that it's quite possible to have ASD and a genetic disorder.  I work with many students with Down syndrome, as well as students with less common genetic disorder, who have co-occurring ASD.  In my mind those children absolutely have ASD and thinking of them that way, helps connect them with resources and strategies that will work for them. 

Yes that’s probably a better way to describe it.  

59 minutes ago, GGardner said:

Do you know if there is a correlation between blood type and ASD?  Some research shows that patients with blood type A are more susceptible to covid than type O.

There have been things iirc that have indicated Blood type A more prevalent with autism.

I don’t know how strong  the worse outcomes for type A blood is in CV19.

it is an interesting possibility

Edited by Pen
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Plum said:

I lurk on a board for health care workers and an MD from Arizona said some places are reaching capacity.

One of my brothers lives in Chandler. I'll ask him what he's hearing.

3 hours ago, Plum said:

Their local news station said they could run out of beds completely by July if they keep pace. 

Ugh my BIL (in the Phoenix area) has surgery scheduled for july (something urgent but would be considered elective since its not life threatening)

8 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

The Age:  A person who attended the Black Lives Matter protest in Melbourne has been diagnosed with COVID-19, prompting concerns others may have been infected at the rally.

Not good.

Ugh, I hope being outside makes the difference.

I have been tracking cases in Hennepin County (where Floyd was murdered/protests began). This is also the hardest hit county in the state so there is a high likelihood that some protesters were asymptomatic covid carriers.  So far there has not been any significant uptick from what I can see. Actually cases have been declining here and that is with inceased testing. Hopefully that holds true here and in other areas where protests were being held.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, TracyP said:

Ugh, I hope being outside makes the difference.

I have been tracking cases in Hennepin County (where Floyd was murdered/protests began). This is also the hardest hit county in the state so there is a high likelihood that some protesters were asymptomatic covid carriers.  So far there has not been any significant uptick from what I can see. Actually cases have been declining here and that is with inceased testing. Hopefully that holds true here and in other areas where protests were being held.

So far, protestors don’t seem to be going to get tested from reports I have heard. If people don’t get tested unless they have case severe enough for hospitalization, we may not know results of CV19 spread until secondary transmissions to more vulnerable populations happens.  If protesters stay away from parents and grandparents for a quarantine time, maybe that won’t be a problem. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TCB said:

One of the people I’ve been following on FB who is crunching the numbers just said on his page that Arizona needed to be on lockdown now or Phoenix might be as bad or worse than NY in 2 weeks time.

I doubt that Arizona has the political will to shut down again, unless things get really, really bad.  And by then it will be too late.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, GGardner said:

Interesting....I need to check, but I want to say my son with ASD might be type A. I know his father was, so DS is either A or O, and I cannot remember for the life of me. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pen said:

So far, protestors don’t seem to be going to get tested from reports I have heard. If people don’t get tested unless they have case severe enough for hospitalization, we may not know results of CV19 spread until secondary transmissions to more vulnerable populations happens.  If protesters stay away from parents and grandparents for a quarantine time, maybe that won’t be a problem. 

I suppose it varies by location? Last week 4 test sites were set up around Minneapolis. The tests are free and they are encouraging everybody who attended protests to get tested. So far the numbers look encouraging, but it will take time to be sure.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, GGardner said:

I doubt that Arizona has the political will to shut down again, unless things get really, really bad.  And by then it will be too late.

Yeah, he was speaking from a medical, epidemiological point of view not a political one.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Joker said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/06/11/us/missouri-hairstylists-coronavirus-clients-trnd/index.html

This is certainly a strong case for wearing masks! None of the hair stylists 140 customers have tested positive for the virus and no cases have been linked to them.

I thought I read somewhere that only 40ish people of the 140 took a test. The remaining people were called daily for two weeks and ask about their symptoms.

Please correct me if that information is not accurate.

Edited by amyx4

27 minutes ago, amyx4 said:

I thought I read somewhere that only 40ish people of the 140 took a test. The remaining people were called daily for two weeks and ask about their symptoms.

Please correct me if that information is not accurate.

“Of the 140 clients and seven co-workers potentially exposed, 46 took tests that came back negative. All the others were quarantined for the duration of the coronavirus incubation period. The 14-day incubation period has now passed with no coronavirus cases linked to the salon beyond the two stylists, county health officials said.”

https://www.straitstimes.com/world/united-states/us-surgeons-perform-double-lung-transplant-on-covid-19-patient
“US surgeons perform double-lung transplant on Covid-19 patient

WASHINGTON (AFP) - Surgeons have performed a double-lung transplant on a Covid-19 patient in Chicago, the hospital that carried out the procedure said on Thursday (June 11), in what is thought to be a first in the United States.

The patient is a young Hispanic woman in her 20s, and had spent six weeks on a life support machine in the intensive care unit of Northwestern Memorial Hospital in Chicago.

By early June, her lungs had become so badly damaged that it was decided that a transplant was her only option.

"A lung transplant was her only chance for survival," said Dr Ankit Bharat, chief of thoracic surgery and surgical director of the Northwestern Medicine Lung Transplant Programme.

He added that while the procedure itself was "technically challenging", it can be performed safely and thus "offers the terminally ill Covid-19 patients another option for survival".

It is believed to be the first time a double-lung transplant for a Covid-19 patient has taken place in the US.

China previously announced a similar operation on a 66-year-old woman in March in eastern Zhejiang province.

Before the US patient could receive the transplant, she had to test negative for the Sars-CoV-2 virus - and needed her other organ systems working well enough to give her a realistic chance of surviving.

"For many days, she was the sickest person in the Covid ICU - and possibly the entire hospital," said Dr Beth Malsin, a critical care doctor.

"There were so many times, day and night, our team had to react quickly to help her oxygenation and support her other organs to make sure they were healthy enough to support a transplant if and when the opportunity came."

It was this combined effort - keeping her alive on life support long enough for her body to clear the virus and test negative - that paved the way for the successful outcome.

It is very unusual for a young woman to have suffered such extensive lung damage from the coronavirus, and doctors hope to study her closely to learn more about why this happened.

For now, they are hopeful she will go on to make a full recovery despite having almost succumbed to multi-organ failure.”

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, EmseB said:

Does anyone else get the NYT morning briefing in their email? I found the "where reopening is working" article kind of interesting.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/11/briefing/coronavirus-national-guard-nascar-your-thursday-briefing.html

I’ve wondered if the issue is weather related, particularly the heat. Places that are struggling have much hotter summers so I wonder if they’re opening up but people are spending time indoors? Here, in the Midwest it gets hot but not like Texas, FL, and Arizona. We’re all spending time outside.

• Like 1

My younger kid's best friend from school is having a "socially distanced birthday party" on Saturday.  I have no idea of the details or what that means, but my kid hasn't seen anyone outside of our family for three months.  I think I'm going to let her go.  There are 392 cases as of today in our area of 250,000.  

I hope it's not a stupid decision, but while she's doing better than my oldest, I worry about her mental health.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, whitehawk said:

North Carolina offers a reopening guidebook for public school districts, with several plans to choose from: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1z5Mp2XzOOPkBYN4YvROz4YOyNIF2UoWq9EZfrjvN4x8/preview?pru=AAABcsdvjwA*1iDZr-5T77y9JJ2lXMcxvg#

Here is Oregon’s.

It might be interesting to compare several, especially while there still time for public comments and revisions. 

I don’t know if this was already posted about-it’s from a couple days back.  

Harvard found that CV19 might have been happening in significant numbers in Wuhan in or before October, maybe as early as August.  

Harvard and Boston researchers examined satellite data of parking lots across hospitals in Wuhan, alongside online search data on Chinese search engine Baidu for symptoms such as “diarrhea” or “cough”.

A rise in online searches for symptoms was spotted, alongside a sharp rise in hospital traffic in August last year, around four months before the virus became linked to a seafood market in the city   “

If that is so, a number of people who think they or others in USA had it in November or so may be correct after all. 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/isabeltogoh/2020/06/09/coronavirus-may-have-been-spreading-in-china-last-august-harvard-research-suggests/

I could not get the actual Harvard prepublication link to work (or open). 

Edited by Pen
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Pen said:

I don’t know if this was already posted about-it’s from a couple days back.  

Harvard found that CV19 might have been happening in significant numbers in Wuhan in or before October, maybe as early as August.  

Harvard and Boston researchers examined satellite data of parking lots across hospitals in Wuhan, alongside online search data on Chinese search engine Baidu for symptoms such as “diarrhea” or “cough”.

A rise in online searches for symptoms was spotted, alongside a sharp rise in hospital traffic in August last year, around four months before the virus became linked to a seafood market in the city   “

If that is so, a number of people who think they or others in USA had it in November or so may be correct after all. 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/isabeltogoh/2020/06/09/coronavirus-may-have-been-spreading-in-china-last-august-harvard-research-suggests/

I could not get the actual Harvard prepublication link to work (or open). 

https://dash.harvard.edu/handle/1/42669767

I think that's it.

• Like 1

Video title: ”Message for the World and India.”

https://youtu.be/2V21MLAGaB0

(Rahul, the guest being interviewed, urges Indians in particular- and also others with high levels of melanin skin pigment and who tend to have low Vitamin D levels - to consider vitamin D. In the latter part of video, he describes some information that is in an article he is one of the authors of related to UV and Vitamin D.) 

@ElizabethB I think you might find it particularly interesting at around 20 minutes in where he discusses his group’s research. 

Also @Dreamergal - possibly of help to share with your family overseas?

Edited by Pen
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Terabith said:

My younger kid's best friend from school is having a "socially distanced birthday party" on Saturday.  I have no idea of the details or what that means, but my kid hasn't seen anyone outside of our family for three months.  I think I'm going to let her go.  

My friend’s twins had a social distance birthday party. They sat 6 feet away from their guests (one household at a time) in the outdoors (think was their driveway) and chat while having slices of cake. My friend basically “clean up” after each household left and before the next household arrive.

• Like 6

Just now, Arcadia said:

My friend’s twins had a social distance birthday party. They sat 6 feet away from their guests (one household at a time) in the outdoors (think was their driveway) and chat while having slices of cake. My friend basically “clean up” after each household left and before the next household arrive.

I suspect this will be less socially distanced than that, honestly.  I'm nervous, but I think she really needs some social time.  

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Pen said:

An Indian in Germany urges Indians and blacks to get their D checked and take D3 if they are low:

https://youtu.be/2V21MLAGaB0

FTR, because I am hopeful that there no ill-will was intended... black is an adjective, a descriptor. I am black/brown (observable fact). I am a black American. I am not *a* black, like a shirt, car, or an elephant. That is dehumanizing and offensive no matter how much conservative media tries to normalize it.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Sneezyone said:

FTR, because I am hopeful that there is no ill-will was intended... black is an adjective, a descriptor. I am black/brown (observable fact). I am a black American. I am not *a* black, like a shirt, car, or an elephant. That is dehumanizing and offensive no matter how much conservative media tries to normalize it.

I was trying to get what could possibly be life saving information out to someone...

if you want a rephrase I would be happy to do that    What word or spelling or capital or lack thereof would you like?

I think the Indian man was also trying to help people .  I think he used “black” or “Black” but it was said, not written.  (ETA and went by fast). 

And I don’t think he was limiting himself to you or Americans.  So considering people might be in UK, Canada, Africa, Brazil, etc. etc. , please tell me the right word.

TIA

Edited by Pen

8 minutes ago, Pen said:

I was trying to get what could possibly be life saving information out to someone...

if you want a rephrase I would be happy to do that    What word or spelling or capital or lack thereof would you like?

I think the Indian man was also trying to help people .  I think he used “black” or “Black” but it was said, not written.  (ETA and went by fast). 

And I don’t think he was limiting himself to you or Americans.  So considering people might be in UK, Canada, Africa, Brazil, etc. etc. , please tell me the right word.

TIA

I don't think anyone needs to ape the dehumanizing, colonial language common to India by referring to black people as "blacks" wherever they exist in the world. Any combination of black and PEOPLE or African/Afro- and American, Brazilian, Columbian, Mexican, Cuban, Belizean, Norwegian, Swedish, Polish, Irish, you get the idea... will do. I assure you I was not *feeling* offended. Your language was offensive. Period.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sneezyone said:

I don't think anyone needs to ape the dehumanizing, colonial language common to India by referring to black people as "blacks" wherever they exist in the world. Any combination of black and PEOPLE or African/Afro- and American, Brazilian, Columbian, Mexican, Cuban, Belizean, Norwegian, Swedish, Polish, Irish, you get the idea... will do. I assure you I was not *feeling* offended. Your language was offensive. Period.

I changed my description now to something like people with high levels of melanin pigment, which is accurate in terms of people for whom the message about D3 May be particularly important, afaik.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Sneezyone said:

FTR, because I am hopeful that there no ill-will was intended... black is an adjective, a descriptor. I am black/brown (observable fact). I am a black American. I am not *a* black, like a shirt, car, or an elephant. That is dehumanizing and offensive no matter how much conservative media tries to normalize it.

Here in Australia the indigenous people call themself Black Fella, of course non aboriginal people just call them indigenous people or Aboriginal. So not everyone in the world would be offended. 

I would have said a person with darker skin. And probably caused all sorts of offence 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Melissa in Australia said:

Here in Australia the indigenous people call themself Black Fella, of course non aboriginal people just call them indigenous people or Aboriginal. So not everyone in the world would be offended. 

I would have said a person with darker skin. And probably caused all sorts of offence 

So they, too, include some HUMAN element and don’t refer to them selves as *a* yellow or a red? They’re not a teal or a blue?

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

So we are moving to stage “2.5” soon meaning gatherings of up to 75.  Stage 3 is going to be unlimited now provided you can maintain a 4sqm per person area.  That’s coming in end of June.  By end of July borders are opening.  I must admit I’m hoping that’s not a bad decision but nsw and vic are doing better.

• Like 1

CNA- “The two patients, both male, were reported from a different part of Beijing than the case reported on Thursday. They both work at the same facility for the China Meat Food Comprehensive Research Center, which conducts research on subjects including meat processing, state media reported  It was not immediately clear how the two men were infected”

it appears that two of the cases in Beijing are linked to a meat research centre.  A meat market looks like it has also been shut down.   It has also delayed the return of lower grade primary students to school in the city. 

Edited by Ausmumof3