Menu

S/O Appetizers

ScoutTN

One of my all time favorites is hot artichoke spinach dip. I love it served with toasted baguette slices. I would get excited to see it bc it’s something I never eat! I also love (and discovered last year on my dips thread!), the buffalo chicken dip. It is absolutely delicious! I like it with chips. Outside of dips, which are always my number one pick, I like a good charcuterie board. 

For my kids, they like the fruit dip that’s marshmallow cream and 8 oz cream cheese mixed together. Served with strawberries, apples, and grapes. They also like cheddar cheese slices and cracker assortments. 🙂 

• Like 2

I love hot spinach/artichoke dip, 7 layer, and Texas Caviar. I like a good crab stuffed mushroom, too. My dd's friend's mom makes this dynamite chocolate dip for strawberries. It isn't pure chocolate because it is white with flecks in it, and really more of a dessert, but we eat it as an app when potlucking happy hour at the church retreat. If I had the recipe I would share. 

• Like 1

We just hosted Christmas Eve and served appetizers. Some of our favorites...hummus, BBQ meatballs, hot spinach/artichoke dip, buffalo chicken dip, bacon wrapped smokies w/brown sugar, giant relish tray or veggie tray w/dip.

I'd eat anything listed in the previous posts!!  Yum!

• Like 1

Mexican roll ups - roughly this recipe, but I don't use the Fiesta Ranch mix, and I may add a few other things - green onions, cut up chicken (small), olive slices, etc. I sometimes add a little extra sour cream to make it a little smoother.  https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/24229/tortilla-rollups-iv/

I make a feta dip that is excellent with pita chips. I love this! But you do have to like feta cheese to like it. 

7 layer dip is always wonderful. 

• Like 1

Our favorite family dip is clam dip.  OMGosh, it is so good and so easy.

We also like beef rolls but it's hard to find squareish sandwich beef anymore so I hardly ever make those.

Far better than Chex Mix is its predecessor, Nuts and Bolts.  It can also be sent home with people in small canning jars to wild acclaim.

My husband is partial to peel and eat shrimp.  I like those fine, but I think they are a mess to eat.

My fave for passing around hot is this ridiculous onion canape recipe that I found in an old church cookbook that is to die for.  I also always put out either a homemade rondele type dip with crackers and veggies or a brick of cream cheese with some lavish, decadent, peppery or garlicky jelly spilled over it, again with several kinds of crackers.  And always a platter of various cheese cubes.  That way people actually do get fullish.

• Like 1

I have Celiac so I get super excited when I see prepackaged items labeled so I know its safe.  I know that sounds nutters, but when in groups, safe food is a big deal for me. 

This year I've just been diagnosed with MCAS and eating a bland, low histamine diet. So I will now just spew all of my favorites appetizers on you since I cannot eat anything other than organic plain chicken and veggies. 

Our family LOVES appetizer dinners- its our go to for most special occasions that don't require a BIG meal.  I have several favorites from before being DXd with Celiac.

Fig crostini with crumbled goat cheese,  homemade 7 layer dip, fresh black bean, corn & cilantro salsa,  room temperature cheese platter, jalapeno spinach dip,  real bruschetta, spicy/sweet meatballs, stuffed jalapeno wrapped with bacon, hummus and veggies,  warm brie with pears and apples, curried cauliflower bites. 

My kids love ChickFilA nuggets platter, crabcakes, summer sausage, cheese and crackers, shrimp cocktail, spring rolls, crab rangoon, veggies & dip, cucumber greek salad in small bowl (basically anything in a small bowl),  caprese kabobs, olives & pickles

ENJOY!

• Like 1

Any kind of dip. I love that spinach dip in a bread bowl. I love chips and salsa. I love the taco dip someone mentioned upthread. I love the hot artichoke and Parmesan dip with cracker bread. I love cream cheese with cocktail sauce and tiny shrimps poured over it with wheat thins or Ritz.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ScoutTN said:

What are a couple of your very favorites? What do you rejoice to see on the table when you go to a party? Do you have a special or less-common one that you like to make? What are your kids' favorites?

Thinking of doing an appetizers only gathering on NYD. Need inspiration.

Crab Dip! 

• Like 1

Bacon wrapped little smokies, toasted ravioli, cheese and crackers, bri cheese and bagget bread, a block of cream cheese with any type of jam/jelly served with crackers, meatballs with bbq sauce and grape jelly heated in crock pot, 

Edited by lynn
  • Like 2

My favorite is something my mom makes, that was my grandma's recipe. I don't know what is in it exactly, but it is some kind of old english cheese on crustless bread that has melted butter on it, then toasted in the oven and cut into triangles. It's like this very sharp version of a grilled cheese almost. 

Otherwise I love mini quiches and those filled phyllo pastry type appetizers...love them SO much. 

Dates stuffed with goat cheese and wrapped in bacon or prosciutto are delicious. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Ktgrok said:

My favorite is something my mom makes, that was my grandma's recipe. I don't know what is in it exactly, but it is some kind of old english cheese on crustless bread that has melted butter on it, then toasted in the oven and cut into triangles. It's like this very sharp version of a grilled cheese almost. 

Otherwise I love mini quiches and those filled phyllo pastry type appetizers...love them SO much. 

Dates stuffed with goat cheese and wrapped in bacon or prosciutto are delicious. 

It sounds like canapes. Specifically French canapes, not canapes as a class of appetizers.

Edited by KungFuPanda
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, DesertBlossom said:

I made this for Thanksgiving and for Christmas Eve dinner (and maybe once in between) and never tire of it. 

https://www.melskitchencafe.com/cranberry-jalapeno-cream-cheese-dip-sugar-rush-reinvented-7/

This looks similar to the cranberry jalapeño hot pepper jelly I made for Thanksgiving. I poured it over Kite Hill vegan cream cheese and it was so good.

https://monkeyandmekitchenadventures.com/cranberry-jalapeno-hot-pepper-jelly/

Edited by Selkie
  • Like 2

One of our holiday traditions is cheeseball, crackers, and grapes. For New Years I was thinking of going with easy heat/eat foods like wings, pizza rolls, and chips/dip. At our church home group some popular appetizers have been mini tacos (from Costco) served with homemade pico and guacamole, as well as baked sliders (https://www.kingshawaiian.com/recipes/hawaiian-ham--swiss-slider).

1 hour ago, ScoutTN said:

Nuts and Bolts! My mom used to make that. Bacon grease is what makes it so yummy!! 

LOL I'm quite sure that Auntie Alice did not use grease!  Her recipe called for butter or margarine.  You would start by putting the sticks into a big metal baking pan, and heating it in the oven until they melted.  Then you would tilt the pan to coat it completely, and then start adding the spices, the three kinds of Chex, the pretzel sticks, and the peanuts.

• Like 1

My kids will all be here for New Years and it is our big holiday celebration this year and appetizers is our tradition.

We are having 

Veggies and dip (carrots, broccoli, peppers and a roasted red pepper dip)

Fruit and dip (strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, cuties and pineapple with a yogurt whipped cream dip)

Super 70s must have meatballs with grape jelly and chili sauce! 

Bacon wrapped lil smokies 

Fried Tortellini with pesto and tomato sauce

Charcuterie and crackers, plus a sort of cheeseball thing

Mini quiches

All kinds of sweets and treats.

Chips and salsa (DIL is lactose intolerant so I try to bring on a dip she can have) 

Edited by theelfqueen
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

What is pizza dip and how do you make it? 

I got the recipe here last Christmas! It's yummy (we skip the onions and peppers because my kids want none of that nonsense.)

On 12/15/2018 at 12:11 PM, school17777 said:

I had this a couple months ago and I’ve been making it weekly since:  

pizza dip

https://www.mybakingaddiction.com/pizza-dip

Edited by alisoncooks
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've found that people really like bacon-wrapped pineapple, and it's very easy to make. (Cut bacon slices in half, wrap around hunks of fresh pineapple, secure with toothpick, bake half an hour at 425F.)

If you want a dairy-free spinach and artichoke dip, this one worked well for me last week: https://www.plantoeat.com/recipes/22290597/31284024

These roasted mushrooms with lemon, garlic and thyme are lovely; we use gf breadcrumbs and vegan butter: https://cakescottage.com/2014/05/24/roasted-mushrooms-garlic-thyme/

Fruit skewers might be especially nice if people are launching healthier diets this week. Just thread on some strawberries (halved if big), melon chunks, grapes, pineapple, etc.

My aunt Sharon's spinach bars are one of my favorites that I make every Christmas. 

Also, cream cheese spread on an oven safe serving platter, Newman's mango or pineapple salsa on top and top that with shredded cheese (we usually do cheddar jack but if you like spice, pepper jack would be good). Bake at 350 until cheese is bubbly. Serve with multigrain Tostitos.

• Like 1