Menu

How do you store your non-disposable grocery bags?

BlsdMama

Mine are a disaster - I'm open to suggestions.  We have a a large closet in our laundry room where we stuff the bags until we use them - which is all the time.  In, out, repeat... I'd like a plan to keep 1-2 in the van (no trunk or back space) and a plan to keep the rest neatly in the house.  Suggestions?

I keep a few in the car and the rest stacked on their edge in my pantry, wedged between the wall and the little plastic cabinet thing with gloves and hats in it. I’ll see if I can post a picture. 

8FC2A24D-D4E6-4E83-A817-B6D4E2222667.jpeg

Edited by Quill

I keep mine in a closet by the carport door with them all inside of the biggest one.  So they look like Quills, just inside of a bag. I used to do it like Quill but inevitably some kid would end up moving the object that they were stored between and they'd end up everywhere.

• Like 2

Back of the van.  Most of mine are freebies from the annual auto show, and they are all folded and stacked neatly inside one of the sturdier bags, which I then carry into the store.  It would be nice if the cashiers at my non-Aldi stores would quit dumping out the whole bag-of-bags and using that carrying bag first.  Then they look at me like I'm crazy for having all these bags because there's nowhere to put them.  If you take out one bag at a time, there isn't a problem!  The rest are still stacked in the bag!

I also have one that scrunches into a ball with a drawstring.  I keep that one in my purse for whenever I run into a store to pick up 1-2 things and need a bag.

• Like 2

I keep mine in the car.  After I put groceries away, I put the empty bags by the door. Next time I go out, the bags go into a car.  I like to have bags in both cars so no one has to remember.  I will walk out of the house without bags if I don't do it this way.  My family members will never remember to take bags if they aren't in the car already. 

• Like 7

I have a few hanging on my shopping cart handle as I can walk to the nearest supermarket. Some are in the family car. The spares are in the coat closet. Ours are freebies from Whole Foods when they let us exchange 10 plastic bags for their green 99cents bag.

Either in the back of my car or hanging on a coat hook in the mudroom. Except right now - they are randomly on my kitchen floor from when DH and DS went shopping this weekend. 😂 Mine are mostly insulated ones from Trader Joe's and they are all stuffed inside the biggest one.

49 minutes ago, BarbecueMom said:

Back of the van.  Most of mine are freebies from the annual auto show, and they are all folded and stacked neatly inside one of the sturdier bags, which I then carry into the store.  It would be nice if the cashiers at my non-Aldi stores would quit dumping out the whole bag-of-bags and using that carrying bag first.  Then they look at me like I'm crazy for having all these bags because there's nowhere to put them.  If you take out one bag at a time, there isn't a problem!  The rest are still stacked in the bag!

I also have one that scrunches into a ball with a drawstring.  I keep that one in my purse for whenever I run into a store to pick up 1-2 things and need a bag.

This is me to a "T". Our bag-of-bags has a cost hook it lives on amongst the coats. I bring it when I go grocery shopping on my big grocery shopping weekends (every other). I have three bags that stay in the car all the time.

After I do my weekly grocery shopping I fold them and stack them neatly inside one open bag. Then I put them back in my car. It's the same with my resusable produce bags.  They're inside one large reusable produce bag and then put in the same open grocery shopping bag all the others are in. When I shop I just pick up the one bag that has all the other bags in it and put it in the cart.

• Like 1

Where do I store them? More like where DON'T I store them! Am I right!

Seriously, I have the wad up into their own little bag kind and I keep them everywhere - the car, my bag, etc. I also have a drawer in the kitchen for overflow of them.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, tbog said:

I have one big one that sits in the back of my minivan. I bring the used ones back out and stick them inside the big one. Otherwise I forget them when I need them. 

I think after reading all the supplies, this is going to be my go to.  I constantly forget them, but they go everywhere!  My big cooler bag from TJ's holds all of them, so I'm just going to zip them in.

Thank you all! ❤️ 

I never know which vehicle I'll end up with so I keep some in the car and some in the van. I open one of the bags (my least favorite one) and store the others inside that bag. I also have extras in the house and store them in a closet the same way - all the folded bags inside one open bag.

I have a bag of bags in each of our vehicles, at home, and at the office.  

When I grocery shop, I bring everything out to the car in the shopping cart and sort it into the bags in the trunk--freezer, fridge, and room temp bags.  That way if I am in a hurry or tired when I get home, I know which bags I can safely leave in the car to get later on.

I have a set of envirosax. They live on the dryer next to my purse and I just throw in as many as I think I’ll need at the store. They roll up really small and don’t take up much room.  I keep a couple of big thermal bags in the back of my van for Costco runs. 

Edited by Forget-Me-Not

We keep a stack by the bin that we keep recyclables in.  Anytime we are going near the recycling center we fill the bags and take our bottles etc along.  Btw, we do have curbside recycling but I don’t have room anymore for the multiple bins that are newly required so it’s easier to carry my own away.  I do this every couple of days.....from there they join the car stack! 😂

The rest go out to the back of the car.  I normally just take three large freezer bags into the store and grab a box they are throwing away if I am buying something fragile like eggs. Next trip to the recycling I get rid of the box.

I have seen some really pretty diy fabric boxes used as bag storage.

On 7/31/2019 at 8:44 AM, BlsdMama said:

Mine are a disaster - I'm open to suggestions.  We have a a large closet in our laundry room where we stuff the bags until we use them - which is all the time.  In, out, repeat... I'd like a plan to keep 1-2 in the van (no trunk or back space) and a plan to keep the rest neatly in the house.  Suggestions?

I have an over-the-door coat hook hanging with the hooks on the inside of my coat closet.  I put all of my reusable grocery boxes/bags in a large canvas tote and hang it on the inside of this door.  I don't own more reusable bags than I can possible use in one massive grocery haul.

Edited to add photo.  My bags go in the red and white canvas tote.  Currently they are sitting on my kitchen table because I didn't put them back after last night's grocery run.  Three of my bags are those grocery boxes that fold flat.  They're so easy to use and store.

IMG_5861.jpg

Edited by KungFuPanda

I use one bag to hold the others.  Usually they are in the guest bedroom; if someone comes over, they can be moved to the laundry room, basement, or garage.  I also have some in my car trunk - they are the soft cloth ones that don't stand up by themselves.

• Like 1

I keep a handful in an insulated style bag in my car. I probably have 8-10 bags in two styles.  As they trickle inside, I have another bag in the coat closet that they tuck into. Once the insulated bag gets brought inside (full of groceries every week or two).  They all go back into the insulated bag, and into my car.  By keeping them in my coat closet, I have a nice reminder when I leave the house.

• Like 1