Menu

What's for dinner?

Peaceseeker

I am so uninspired.  So we are having boring cheeseburgers and frozen fries for dinner tonight.  Very lame. I am trying to make a meal plan for the week and I haven't gotten past Taco Tuesday...

So what are you making for dinner tonight, or even later this week?  Hoping for some motivation here!

tonight is ham, either roasted potatoes or fries, salad and either roasted green beans or riced cauliflower

Tuesday is tacos

Wednesday ham and potato soup

Thursday steak (trying to use up meat in the freezer before our half comes next month), mac and cheese, mixed veggies or green beans

Friday leftovers or frozen pizza

• Like 2

I almost never cook in any meaningful way anymore, now that the kids aren't around and my work schedule doesn't really sync up with my husband's. It's a good week if I make a meal or two that we can split up to pack for lunches to take to work.

However, I shopped yesterday and was bored today and decided to try out the jar of yellow curry sauce I had in the pantry. I started out with the idea of trying to replicate the rice bowl I got from the fusion Asian take-out place near work, but my husband didn't like the selection of veggies I had planned. So instead we ended up with potatoes, onions, carrots, snow peas and bell pepper. I'm serving it over jasmine rice. We'll see how it goes.

Assuming it is edible, we should end up with at least one lunch serving for each of us in addition to whatever we eat for dinner tonight. 

If I'm still feeling energetic this evening, I may go ahead and make a pot of Mexican-style rice and some black beans so we can also sock away a couple of lunch servings of that for each of us. Or I might do more of a Chinese fried rice thing with the rest of the snow peas and peppers, more carrots plus some bean sprouts and slivered almonds.

(Since I had to go gluten free last year, rice bowls in various incarnations have become kind of our go-to meal.) 

• Like 2

Tonight is Roasted Red Pepper and Spinach Pasta.  Or there's spaghetti sauce and plain noodles for those who prefer that.

Several of us put up weekly menus in the monthly frugalista thread.  Lots of ideas in there!

The rest of our week:

Tuesday: Taco Tuesday, Frozen Veggies
Wednesday: Shrimp Dragon Noodles (or plain rice), Salad
Thursday: Tex Mex Black Eyed Peas Casserole, Carrots, Salad
Friday: Junk Food Night (last week was frozen pizza, tater tots, and spinach dip... this week TBD)
Saturday: Sheet Pan Sausages and Veggies, Some Sort of Bread, Cranberry Sauce
Sunday: Mango Habanero/BBQ Wings and Drumsticks, Carrots/Celery/Cukes and Dip

• Like 2

My kids are eating pizza dip and crackers. I made the dip for DH to take to a football party, but when I removed it from the oven, it slipped out of my hands spilled all inside the oven (cheese and sauce all over the oven floor and door and heating element). 

So DH's picking up a snack on the way, and the kids are eating the pizza dip that remained in the pan. 

• Sad 2

Meatball subs, using homemade meatballs from the freezer.

I haven't planned the rest of the week yet. I'll need to come up with something for tomorrow that I already have ingredients for, because I think I won't get to the store until Wednesday. I need to plan around what I have in the freezer, anyway, because I need to create some order in there.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Elizabeth86 said:

Lets see.  This is day 30 of the government shutdown, so

beans and rice 

Eggs

Canned tomato soup and grilled cheese

Chicken thighs I bought for under $3 preseasoned

Did I mention beans?

Are you guys okay?
My local community is trying to take care of the needs of everyone affected here.  Are you guys finding the same in your area?

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, HomeAgain said:

Are you guys okay?
My local community is trying to take care of the needs of everyone affected here.  Are you guys finding the same in your area?

Doing ok thanks.  Just trying to be as thrifty as possible.  We are still currently using the paycheck from the end of december, haven't  had t dip into savings yet and we have a lot of family that would never let us be hungry

• Like 6

Tonight: Brats, fried potatoes, homemade oatmeal bread, and some sort of veggie.

Tuesday: tacos, refried beans, tater tots

Wednesday: chicken paprikash, spaetzle (trying something new)

Thursday: homemade pizza

Friday is date night so the kids are getting frozen pizza and DH and I are going out somewhere

Saturday: oven roasted chicken, fried rice, rolls, and a veggie

• Like 1

Chx chili with pintos and sweet potatoes. Sounds odd, I know, but it's yummey and easy.

In a heavy pot on the stove or a crock pot, combine:

1 16 oz jar of green(tomatillo) salsa
2 C. chx stock
3 lbs boneless,s kinless chx thighs
2lbs sweet potatoes, scrubbed and cut into cubes
2 t. cumin

Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, covered, on medium-low for an hour or so. When chx is tender, shred with a fork and add:

2 cans pinto beans, rinsed
salt to taste

Simmer another 20 minutes. Serve with tortiilla chips, cilantro, hot sauce, chopped green onion, avocado, etc. 

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 2

We had leek and potato soup (except I had to substitute bok choy for leeks 🙂 ) and meatballs with hastily roasted veggies and potatoes. 

Tomorrow evening I am working late, so dh is on his own which can mean he'll warm up brats or just has a sandwich.

Wed: Perhaps chicken with vegetables in seasoned roux and rice

Thur: Pork for dh (I am not much of a meat eater) and fried rice, probably veggies. If we have a late work meeting, none of this will come to pass.

Fri: Working late again. Perhaps will precook ground beef and make potatoes au gratin. I will take bread cubes, cheese and a hardboiled egg on the road with me.  🙂

Boy, this thread forced me to think ahead. Thank you!

• Like 1

I tried Posole for the first time tonight. I made it in the instant pot. It was delicious and I am very much looking forward to the leftovers for lunch tomorrow. 😊 

Tomorrow is Beef Bourguignon.

Wednesday is something with pork. 😄 I bought a huge pork shoulder on a really good sale with no plan for it. (The sale wasn't in the weekly ad!) So I'm just going to cook it in the crock pot and divide it up for a few meals. Probably stir fry, lo mein, and tacos. Nothing too exciting. 

I made Budweiser BBQ Meatballs as an appetizer for Sunday's championship games and everyone raved about them. They were probably the best meatballs I've ever made, if I can say that without sounding brag-y. I mean, I did follow the recipe so I'm not sure how much credit I can take. 😉

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, ScoutTN said:

Chx chili with pintos and sweet potatoes. Sounds odd, I know, but it's yummey and easy.

In a heavy pot on the stove or a crock pot, combine:

1 16 oz jar of green(tomatillo) salsa
2 C. chx stock
3 lbs boneless,s kinless chx thighs
2lbs sweet potatoes, scrubbed and cut into cubes
2 t. cumin

Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, covered, on medium-low for an hour or so. When chx is tender, shred with a fork and add:

2 cans pinto beans, rinsed
salt to taste

Simmer another 20 minutes. Serve with tortiilla chips, cilantro, hot sauce, chopped green onion, avocado, etc. 

I will be trying this after my next shopping trip! I'm out of salsa verde, otherwise I'd make it this week. 

I put chicken breasts in the crockpot, pour in a jar of salsa verde, a bottle of beer, and let it cook all day. I shred it up and it is so delicious and couldn't be any easier. I use it to make tacos, taco soup, burritos, quesadillas, nachos, or even on a salad with a spicy chipotle ranch dressing or a mild vinegarette dressing. 

• Like 2

RIght now we have an easy menu and no one is tired of it yet so...

Mondays - soup (usually alternate between baked potato, chicken noodle, and broccoli cheddar)

Tuesdays - tacos

Wednesdays - pick of leftover soup or tacos 

Thursdays - fish (usually switch between different versions of salmon and mahi)

Friday - usually eat out or order pizza

Saturdays - pasta (lasagna, spaghetti, baked ziti, mac n cheese, or steak fettuccine alfredo)

Sunday - varies between kids favs (chicken fried steak, twice baked potatoes, egg rolls, homemade pizza, grilled cheese, breakfast, chicken dishes)

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, MrsRobinson said:

I will be trying this after my next shopping trip! I'm out of salsa verde, otherwise I'd make it this week. 

I put chicken breasts in the crockpot, pour in a jar of salsa verde, a bottle of beer, and let it cook all day. I shred it up and it is so delicious and couldn't be any easier. I use it to make tacos, taco soup, burritos, quesadillas, nachos, or even on a salad with a spicy chipotle ranch dressing or a mild vinegarette dressing. 

Yum! Trying your variation next week. Have you ever tried it with thighs? 

1 minute ago, ScoutTN said:

Yum! Trying your variation next week. Have you ever tried it with thighs? 

Its funny you ask because I gave up on chicken breasts in the crock pot a long time ago, always swapping for thighs instead. I felt the white meat was too dry but thighs in the crock pot are perfect.

Well, this one thing is the exception to that rule. 😄 The chicken breasts are not dry at all and they shred up nicer and hold up nicer for all the things I use this chicken for. A whole jar of salsa and a whole bottle of beer is a lot of liquid. 

I suppose I could try thighs again and just use half a jar of salsa and half a bottle of beer...

• Like 1