Menu

S/o. What super tightwad things have you heard of that surprised you

Ausmumof3

6 minutes ago, Rosie_0801 said:

We go wash our hands. 

But during the meal? Like if you pick up your glass to take a drink or something, doesn't it get all greasy or anything? I'm not trying to other anyone, just trying to figure out how this would work without wiping one's hands on something while eating finger foods during a meal. If I'm eating wings or a juicy burger or something my paper napkin is generally trashed by the end of the meal because I wipe my hands to pick up my beverage or to pass the salt or help a kid get more to drink...

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, EmseB said:

But during the meal? Like if you pick up your glass to take a drink or something, doesn't it get all greasy or anything? I'm not trying to other anyone, just trying to figure out how this would work without wiping one's hands on something while eating finger foods during a meal. If I'm eating wings or a juicy burger or something my paper napkin is generally trashed by the end of the meal because I wipe my hands to pick up my beverage or to pass the salt or help a kid get more to drink...

I don't drink during my meals.

But when I did, I assume the little bit of spit on my fingers that didn't dry before I touched my glass just didn't bother me.

Or maybe I wiped it on my clothes?  I mean spit on clothes is not really a scary thought to me.  😛

2 hours ago, texasmom33 said:

This is just my conjecture- but linen napkins were the thing I'm guessing. And having the time to launder and care for them properly in the days before great washers and dryers and no wrinkle fabrics was probably a luxury most housewives without staffs didn't have time for? The stain removal, soaking, etc. and then ironing was probably a bigger deal then- much like silver and things that required polishing and upkeep for daily usage. I might be totally off though, but that's my guess. 

My grandmothers and great grandma certainly didn't have staff but managed to include the napkins in the normal laundry. The few napkins really don't make a big difference. And nothing irons easier. Before Kleenex,  people also used cloth handkerchiefs to blow their noses. Not just the rich who had staff.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, ikslo said:

I’m having a hard time with this napkin only on the chair idea.  So you have clean napkin in your lap.  Let’s say food then drops on it, or you use it wipe your hands.  You are going to return it to your lap to possibly soil your clothes?  Then you get up to use the restroom or some other reason that is only taking you away from the table briefly, and you are putting your soiled napkin on the chair you are coming back to.  Are you not worried about soiling your backside when you sit back down?  What about the chair itself, if it apolstered? As a host, I would much rather you place your soiled napkin on the table, thank you very much.  Manners be damned.  

Of course, you’d have to ask me for a napkin in the first place, probably.  Will a paper towel do? 😉

You (General you) don’t lift it as you wipe your hands, the napkins stays in your lap and you wipe your hands and fingers across it so that only one side is usually dirty. If you wipe a big mess, discreetly fold it in half while it is remains in your lap, messy side in. Also, if you get up from the table you also fold it in half, messy side in. That way, only the clean side is on the chair. 

Yes - a paper towel will do just fine :).

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, SKL said:

I don't drink during my meals.

But when I did, I assume the little bit of spit on my fingers that didn't dry before I touched my glass just didn't bother me.

Or maybe I wiped it on my clothes?  I mean spit on clothes is not really a scary thought to me.  😛

No napkins and now no water/beverage during a meal?! The hive is forever blowing my mind. 😄

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, marbel said:

Maybe this should be its own thread:

Why are cloth napkins automatically considered "fancy?" I find them to be a much more frugal and useful choice than paper napkins or even paper towels.  

I do have some nicer napkins that we only pull out for special occasions, in the same way many people bring out china and silver. But most of my napkins cost less than a dollar and have been in use for years. I only recently had to retire the last of a set of 24 napkins I made for a big Thanksgiving dinner at least 15 years ago. Now it's a dustcloth. 

What is fancy about it?  Not being snarky. A few people have said it here, I think, and in my real life people have made semi-nasty comments about my cloth napkin use. I am not fancy at all, many times when we have big groups I plop a bunch of mismatched napkins at the end of the buffet table for people to pick up as they go sit down to eat  (in the living room because the kitchen/dining area is too small and that table serves as the buffet).

I don't think they are fancy. I did say I have a fancy set, but that's because that particular set is fancy and like what you are describing, I only use it for special occasions. Why, you ask? Because I have to iron them! When I used cloth napkins every day, I had some that were made of cloth that can just be washed, dried & folded, there was nothing fancy about them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Arcadia said:

At formal dining, the napkins have to match too. They also have to look new and nicely pressed.

I have more than thirty older cousins and all our wedding banquets are the sit down four hours eight to ten course dinner kind. I had plenty of practice from when I was a young kid.

Below quoted explains quite well about cloth napkin usage that I am used to at formal dining places/events. I am used to the formal (cloth), tea (cloth or paper)  and cocktail (paper) sizes of napkins.

“napkin shapes and sizes

Event formality dictates the shape and size of napkins used.

Napkins are usually square. The following list shows what sized napkins are used for various occassions:

• Formal, Multiple Course, Meals - large napkins (22 - 26 inches square);
  • Buffet Service - medium to large napkins (18 to 24 inches square or 12 x 22 inches);
  • Informal Dinners - medium napkins (18 to 20 inches square);
  • Luncheons - smaller napkins (14 to 16 inches square);
  • Tea - small napkins (12 inches square); and
  • Cocktails - very small napkins (9 inches square, 4 x 6 inches, or 6 x 8 inches).

napkin color and design

Napkins at a formal meal should match the color of the tablecloth (generally ivoy or white). 

• They should have a simple boarder and weave.
  • Napkins of different color with patterns can be used to add interest ot the table setting.
  • Keep design scale consistent throughout the table setting for continuity.

napkin texture

Napkins should have a texture to allow it to absorb moisture. For continuity, napkin texture should be compatible with that of the other linens at the table and tableware finish.

I have about 1/2 dozen linen cocktail napkins from my grandmother. It isn't a practical size for me, so I have set them aside and I'm going to work them into a crazy quilt with some other fabric items that I have from both grandmothers and my mother.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, marbel said:

Maybe this should be its own thread:

Why are cloth napkins automatically considered "fancy?" I find them to be a much more frugal and useful choice than paper napkins or even paper towels.  

I do have some nicer napkins that we only pull out for special occasions, in the same way many people bring out china and silver. But most of my napkins cost less than a dollar and have been in use for years. I only recently had to retire the last of a set of 24 napkins I made for a big Thanksgiving dinner at least 15 years ago. Now it's a dustcloth. 

What is fancy about it?  Not being snarky. A few people have said it here, I think, and in my real life people have made semi-nasty comments about my cloth napkin use. I am not fancy at all, many times when we have big groups I plop a bunch of mismatched napkins at the end of the buffet table for people to pick up as they go sit down to eat  (in the living room because the kitchen/dining area is too small and that table serves as the buffet).

Maybe it’s like how having handmade clothes is fancy.  It means someone is available that has enough time to wash and iron them.

2 hours ago, Rosie_0801 said:

Now seems a good time to state that the messier the eating, the less likely there are napkins to be found. When we're at our eat everything with the hands friends or restaurants, we don't use napkins or paper towel unless the kids spill their drinks. We wash our hands at the sink.

Yes!  So true...

yall might want to bring your own napkins if you come to Aus.

also am I the only one that has always called them serviettes?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, EmseB said:

You use a knife and fork.  If you are eating something that inevitably gets messy you eat it all in one go then go wash your hands.  You don’t take a drink midway through a lamb chop or chicken wing or eating a taco. 

I have to admit we do now have paper towel on the table as I have one kid who I could not break of wiping their hands on their shirt however generally you just learn to eat nicely and wash up when you are done.

As the resident Marylander, I feel it is important to address the messiest of meals: steamed crabs. Eating crabs is almost entirely social; few people eat crabs alone at home. There are always paper towels. People pretty much always have a beverage. Canned beer is common, but a glass/cup of something is not verboten. If you’re eating crabs, your hands are gettin’ messy no matter how neat you generally are. I have definitely left a table before to wash my hands at the tap, even though I am not finished. It is just too much mess to go on wi5hout addressing that, lol. 

In a restauarant, you will get a bib and a few wet hand wipes. 

• Like 6

As far as cloth napkins being perceived as “fancy,” I find that interesting, but that is 100% not the use I put them to. Most of mine are ancient and quite a lot of them are homemade. They basically never match. If I were hosting a more serious meal - which, pffttt! What even is that? - I would probably put out nice paper napkins, because IME, guests seem to find cloth napkins a little stressful. I guess they worry they may make them messy. All of our “regular” guests like girlfriends/boyfriends/other friends of the kids do use our regular ol’ non-fancy cloth napkins. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Quill said:

As far as cloth napkins being perceived as “fancy,” I find that interesting, but that is 100% not the use I put them to. Most of mine are ancient and quite a lot of them are homemade. They basically never match. If I were hosting a more serious meal - which, pffttt! What even is that? - I would probably put out nice paper napkins, because IME, guests seem to find cloth napkins a little stressful. I guess they worry they may make them messy. All of our “regular” guests like girlfriends/boyfriends/other friends of the kids do use our regular ol’ non-fancy cloth napkins. 

Yeah, my ex-nanny gave me 4 or 6 off-white cloth napkins and I never use them.  I don't want to stain them.  Not sure what I'm saving them for.  I mean, if I was having anyone over, 4/6 wouldn't be enough anyway.  😛  Since Nanny really loves serving food and throwing parties, she would set up the occasional "special meal" and place the napkins around.  I would use them then, but worry about ruining them.  I just wasn't brought up wiping my food mess onto cloth.

• Like 1

We use cheap white washcloths as napkins.  The ones that are 10 for $3 or whatever at Target, and we go through at least 20-25 a day, between faces and tables and hands and holding hot bowls and spills and whatever else they get used for.

We never have meal guests except my niece and nephews, so they just need to be functional, not fancy.

7 hours ago, HomeAgain said:

Millennials are being blamed for killing a lot of industries that are mostly money wasters.  Their paychecks are less than their parents' starting pay and they're a lot more frugal in general.  If I had to make the choice between a roll of paper towels or a roll and a pack of napkins, it would just be the paper towels.  It's not a generational thing.  It's a call to wake up and address the income crisis.

I'm not sure why it's a matter of blame - saying something is different doesn't mean someone is being blamed.  It could be a money thing I guess, but I think it's also possible they just don't see much point in buying special napkins when a paper towel will do. They also don't like thongs but not, I think, for money reasons.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, EmseB said:

But isn't that basically the same thing? If I'm using paper towels for napkins then I'm just buying more paper towels in the long run. I don't see it as conservation or saving me any money really.

I don't think it's really either.  I have wondered if the availability of paper towels with smaller pieces are part of it, or maybe that people are eating meals together at the table less often.  But it might just be an inexplicable difference in what they like.

4 hours ago, Quill said:

As the resident Marylander, I feel it is important to address the messiest of meals: steamed crabs. Eating crabs is almost entirely social; few people eat crabs alone at home. There are always paper towels. People pretty much always have a beverage. Canned beer is common, but a glass/cup of something is not verboten. If you’re eating crabs, your hands are gettin’ messy no matter how neat you generally are. I have definitely left a table before to wash my hands at the tap, even though I am not finished. It is just too much mess to go on wi5hout addressing that, lol. 

In a restauarant, you will get a bib and a few wet hand wipes. 

Ok, I wrote earlier that I don’t use napkins, but I use practially an entire pack all by myself at a crab feast.  Those things are messy!

——

I wrote above about cloth napkins being fancy, but I didn’t mean that the *cloth* was the fancy part.  I meant that for me, having any napkin at all was being fancy.  

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Rosie_0801 said:

Now seems a good time to state that the messier the eating, the less likely there are napkins to be found. When we're at our eat everything with the hands friends or restaurants, we don't use napkins or paper towel unless the kids spill their drinks. We wash our hands at the sink.

this. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

You use a knife and fork.  If you are eating something that inevitably gets messy you eat it all in one go then go wash your hands.  You don’t take a drink midway through a lamb chop or chicken wing or eating a taco. 

this,

and if you have your chair pushed in properly and lean over your plate then no food falls on your lap.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, marbel said:

This reminds me of bringing handkerchiefs daily in preschool and elementary school. I had the thicker ones and was considered pampered. Then schoolmates were bringing tissue paper instead of handkerchief by the time I was in 6th grade.

My mom would iron my handkerchiefs when she was ironing my dad’s. My dad brings a hankerchief to work too and his is the guys size while mine was the kid size.

20 hours ago, EmseB said:

Generally I'm using a knife and fork, so not touching the food, but even if I am, my glass is going to be washed anyway, so I'm not fussed about fingerprints. I add salt to my cooking so don't need to during the meal; and I don't give kids drinks during meals, if they are small enough to need help, because they've got enough to make mess with already. It's not like I'm gripping finger food in both fists or anything. If I'm with eat with the hands friends, we use our right hands only, the same with finger food. Chicken wings only require two fingers on each hand, which leaves the rest free. Burgers are known to be messy, and there's no particular shame because everyone else is having the same issues. It is normal to use a serviette if you're out, but at home, we just go wash our hands when we're finished.

*I call them serviettes too. I said napkin because I was code switching. 🙂

This napkin conversation is cracking me up.

When the kids were younger, I bought and made a whole bunch of cute cloth napkins. They were used enough to wear out. (Think basic cotton prints.) Now, everyone can just grab a paper towel as needed. I do have a stash of paper napkins for parties! Otherwise, I don't see the need to buy separate products. (Though I have been browsing napkins on etsy. I like whimsy.)

I DID notice that when dh and I went out for lunch (not fancy, closer to greasy spoon,) I used my napkin obsessively, while I'm certain I do not (use my paper towel that much) at home. It wasn't a conscious thought until we were nearly done. There must be some kind of social programming in me!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, StellaM said:

They've always been serviettes here. We have fancy paper ones for Christmas and birthdays 🙂

But no-one really uses them, they are to look nice, I guess.

I think 'serviette' is considered common in the UK. 

I can't think of what we do the rest of the year with no 'napkins'. Is food that messy ?!

I do own a set of cloth napkins. I use them sometimes to cover a cake that's too warm to go into a container. Or scones or whatever.

I think ‘serviette’ is the French term, but I don’t remember if they were usually available when eating or not. It seems they must have been at restaurants, but I have forgotten if the host mom for dd’s program had them or not. Now I’m worried I committed a faux pas in asking for a serviette...

• Like 2

Gracious, I haven't been to this thread in a while......it always amazes me how something on this board morphs into something completely different.  Now it is serviettes/napkins.  

So, I will address it.  I grew up with serviettes.  I grew up in a former British colony.  "Fancy" restaurants were not that expensive, so when we went to the city, we often ate at them.  There were cloth napkins at all of them.  And napkin rings. 

But for home, we used paper/disposable, or we washed our hands.  Unless we had guests.  Then my mom would get out the napkin rings and cloth napkins.  

It is funny because I brought back to the States quite a few napkin rings, only to realize that I never used them here.  It is just one more thing to mess with.

• Like 2

Have any of you watched the show about Tightwads?

One NYC woman takes a shower with her clothes so she can wash them in the shower and hang them to dry.  She also gets all of her furniture from dumpster diving and much of her food the same way.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DawnM said:

Have any of you watched the show about Tightwads?

One NYC woman takes a shower with her clothes so she can wash them in the shower and hang them to dry.  She also gets all of her furniture from dumpster diving and much of her food the same way.

Yeah. See my earlier post about that show. The show(s) make me mad because they are really just holding people up to ridicule. Of course, frugality is a continuum and one man’s normal is another man’s crazy, but they feature things that are so outside the range or normal, almost no one will think it is a good idea. Like the family who ate roadkill rabbit and then the mother made gifts from the pelt. Or the guy who took his wife to a diner for their anniversary, but waited until other patrons seemed to be finishing their meals, then he asked them for their remaining food. 

One reason I like the FB Tightwad group is that people post very good ideas. They post clever things all the time, or amazing, AMAZING thrift store and yard sale finds. Right now, lots of people post great ideas for making Christmas meaningful AND fun for little or no money. (It is true there are also a few grouchy Scrooges on there who spew their ugly attitudes, but they are few and far between.) I alrady have added one fun idea I plan to do with my big kids this Christmas! 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Quill said:

Yeah. See my earlier post about that show. The show(s) make me mad because they are really just holding people up to ridicule. Of course, frugality is a continuum and one man’s normal is another man’s crazy, but they feature things that are so outside the range or normal, almost no one will think it is a good idea. Like the family who ate roadkill rabbit and then the mother made gifts from the pelt. Or the guy who took his wife to a diner for their anniversary, but waited until other patrons seemed to be finishing their meals, then he asked them for their remaining food. 

One reason I like the FB Tightwad group is that people post very good ideas. They post clever things all the time, or amazing, AMAZING thrift store and yard sale finds. Right now, lots of people post great ideas for making Christmas meaningful AND fun for little or no money. (It is true there are also a few grouchy Scrooges on there who spew their ugly attitudes, but they are few and far between.) I alrady have added one fun idea I plan to do with my big kids this Christmas! 

They go overboard for sure, the extremes make the show.  

I find that I have time OR money, not both.  Sigh.

• Like 2

My grandparents all said serviette, and I think my parents did too when I was little.  Now everyone says napkin.   Similarly, when I was little, all sofas were called chesterfields.  That word seems to have slipped out of common usage.  Now sofas are sofas or couches.  Evolution of language is fascinating.

ETA: This was both in Toronto and Montreal

Edited by wathe
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

also am I the only one that has always called them serviettes?

Called them serviettes in Malaysia and Singapore which are both former British colonies. Tissue paper for the informal, thinner ones. Asking a wait staff for a napkin would have implied asking for the bigger size cloth napkins that are for the lap.

I think wait staff at local sit down restaurants generally understand when we ask for serviettes but we have many people from Europe and Asia so they are used to hearing non-US words/labels.

Etymology online says

“serviette (n.)

"table napkin," late 15c., from Middle French serviette "napkin, towel" (14c.), of uncertain origin, perhaps from past participle of servir "to serve" (see serve (v.)). Primarily Scottish at first; re-introduced from French 1818.” https://www.etymonline.com/word/serviette

• Like 3

6 hours ago, wathe said:

My grandparents all said serviette, and I think my parents did too when I was little.  Now everyone says napkin.   Similarly, when I was little, all sofas were called chesterfields.  That word seems to have slipped out of common usage.  Now sofas are sofas or couches.  Evolution of language is fascinating.

ETA: This was both in Toronto and Montreal

Were they from the west?  I seem to recall that chesterfield is a prairie thing.

36 minutes ago, theelfqueen said:

My grandmother (from Kansas) always said "Divan". She also had a "pocketbook" My mom prefers "couch" and "purse". 

That’s interesting. My grandmother from southern Maryland called a couch a Davenport and also said “pocketbook” for purse. My mother even said pocketbook for a long while but eventually started saying purse, I guess. 

7 hours ago, Arcadia said:

Called them serviettes in Malaysia and Singapore which are both former British colonies. Tissue paper for the informal, thinner ones. Asking a wait staff for a napkin would have implied asking for the bigger size cloth napkins that are for the lap.

I think wait staff at local sit down restaurants generally understand when we ask for serviettes but we have many people from Europe and Asia so they are used to hearing non-US words/labels.

Etymology online says

“serviette (n.)

"table napkin," late 15c., from Middle French serviette "napkin, towel" (14c.), of uncertain origin, perhaps from past participle of servir "to serve" (see serve (v.)). Primarily Scottish at first; re-introduced from French 1818.” https://www.etymonline.com/word/serviette

tissue paper here is a tissue - for blowing your nose -a disposable handkerchief - what you guys call a kleenex 

Wow...mind blown that so many people don’t use napkins. I don’t think I could eat without a napkin psychologically. Lol. My boys drive me crazy when they get food and don’t grab a napkin. I’m always thinking “who does that???”. Now I know a bunch of smart and sophisticated women I respect do it. I still can’t get my brain around it but that’s my problem.

So, this past Wednesday we were at a hockey game and my 20 yo ds took my 10 yo dd to get food. I was annoyed because they came back with chicken tenders with ranch sauce and fries for her and a chicken sandwich and fries for him and no napkins!! How are they going to eat those without napkins?? Ds got up and got napkins because going without napkins just wasn’t a possibility. I had no idea. Someday my kids are going to be in therapy complaining of their controlling mother forcing napkins on them all the time. I keep finding out more things I am messing up. Haha. I had no idea that people went without napkins. Really.

• Like 7
  • Haha 5

21 minutes ago, teachermom2834 said:

Wow...mind blown that so many people don’t use napkins. I don’t think I could eat without a napkin psychologically. Lol. My boys drive me crazy when they get food and don’t grab a napkin. I’m always thinking “who does that???”. Now I know a bunch of smart and sophisticated women I respect do it. I still can’t get my brain around it but that’s my problem.

So, this past Wednesday we were at a hockey game and my 20 yo ds took my 10 yo dd to get food. I was annoyed because they came back with chicken tenders with ranch sauce and fries for her and a chicken sandwich and fries for him and no napkins!! How are they going to eat those without napkins?? Ds got up and got napkins because going without napkins just wasn’t a possibility. I had no idea. Someday my kids are going to be in therapy complaining of their controlling mother forcing napkins on them all the time. I keep finding out more things I am messing up. Haha. I had no idea that people went without napkins. Really.

Same!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Quill said:

That’s interesting. My grandmother from southern Maryland called a couch a Davenport and also said “pocketbook” for purse. My mother even said pocketbook for a long while but eventually started saying purse, I guess. 

My granny used those words and also "house coat" for robe.  Do other people use "house coat"?

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, SKL said:

My granny used those words and also "house coat" for robe.  Do other people use "house coat"?

I heard it all the time when we lived in Georgia, though my mom never used the term. She wasn’t southern. 

Also, the term housedress- it’s different than a housecoat, sort of like a cotton at or above the knee dress worn only at home.  

• Like 2

On 11/20/2018 at 3:08 PM, lexi said:

Reusing aluminum foil. This person would meticulously flatten out foil, wash it, then spread it out to dry on dish racks. It was so time consuming. I don’t get it. 

A friend washed out ziploc baggies and always had them hanging up to dry. I didn’t quite understand why they weren’t finding reusable containers instead. 

I know someone who reused greeting and birthday cards. They would cut one up and use pictures and scraps of that card to cover the names and the message in another card. Then they would write in new names and messages and find a new envelope. I got a lot of recycled cards. I liked peeling back the “collage” to see who the card was originally to and from. 

The bottom one I have not done, but seems like a nice idea. After all, more work went in to creating the collage card than just buying a new one. But the first two items are ones I do all the time. I also cut napkins in half. 

• Like 1

On 11/20/2018 at 2:29 PM, shawthorne44 said:

There had been one that surprised me, but in a good way.  I was This Close to having a meltdown about picking the Right Sippy cup for DD (my only).   I am normally so far away from any meltdown that people have commented on it. But if I didn't pick the right sippy cup her mouth development would be delayed, and then she'd be academically delayed, and then ...   (I think hormones were involved)    I took a break to read my Tightwad Gazette book, which I was rereading for the kid sections.   She talked about how her kids never had sippy cups.   They went from the breast to regular cups.  Since sippy cups weren't an option, they drank from cups rather early.   It was a pleasant surprise.   I got sippy cups, but it was with the realization that it was for my carpet not DD.  

We have never used sippy cups. People have given them to us so we have had them, but we just never used them I guess. We have always had water bottles for in the car. But the kids were not allowed to have anything except water if they were not sitting at the table so it was always cups. 

As long as we're talking about words that may or may not have slipped out of common usage, I have to ask...is anyone familiar with the term "davenport" for couch or sofa? My Grandma called her couch a davenport, but I've never, ever heard anyone else use that word. I've looked it up, so I know it's an actual term, but I really wonder where she picked it up!

eta: I see Quill actually used the word earlier in the thread! But my Grandma was definitely not from the Maryland area, so now I'm really curious where that word comes from, and why she used it!

Edited by MrsMommy
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, teachermom2834 said:

well some of us are in Australia so we have very different customs etc.

I actually don't know what a chicken tender with ranch sauce is. I do know that fries translates into chips in Aus though.

• Like 1