Menu

Would you take a moment to summarize your homeschooling journey thus far?

rafiki

How long and for what grades have you homeschooled?

We've homeschooled for 9 years. From pre-K to grade 7.

Did you know from the start you would homeschool or did some event point you down this road?

No, I didn't know from the start. Dd started reading at 3.5 and I began looking at kindergarten options in our area. Eventually I stumbled on the word "homeschooling" and haven't looked back.

Were you homeschooled?

No.

Does anyone in your extended family homeschool?

No.

What method and materials did you use your first year of homeschooling?

Real books, a lot of exploration, short daily time on academics. Materials included Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons and MCP kindergarten matah. Other than that we used the library and our community.

What method and materials are you currently using?

I still use Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons :) We also still have a focus on real books and exploration, but since my kids are older now we've added many new materials and methods.

What books, ideas, etc. have helped shape your homeschool?

Educating the Whole-Hearted Child, The Well-Trained Mind, an unschooling message board. I hold fast to the idea that it's possible to create a love of learning. I choose my materials wisely - materials that will teach well and will also inspire (or at least not kill) my kids.

What has been the most challenging aspect for you?

Juggling four children.

What aspect has come naturally for you?

Reading and discussing with the kids.

What are your favorite homeschool memories thus far?

Reading together and doing projects together.

What is the best advice you've been given?

I'm not sure...

What advice do you give others just starting this journey?

I tell them to read everything they can get their hands on even if it seems way too "out there". I think we can only benefit from reading about the various ways to homeschool and even if we think we've chosen our method there is *always* something to gain by reading about someone else's method.

I taught my dd from K-7. She is in public school this year for 8th. My ds is currently in 3rd and I've taught him from the beginning.

Did you know from the start you would homeschool or did some event point you down this road?

We had actually enrolled dd in PS, but couldn't go through with it. I met a wonderful homeschooling family at about that time and decided to give it a try.

Were you homeschooled? NO

Does anyone in your extended family homeschool? NO

We actually started out using the Core Knowledge series. I didn't find WTM until we were in 1st grade.

We very loosely follow WTM. I substitute curriculum, but the method is similar.

What books, ideas, etc. have helped shape your homeschool? WTM of course. The Elijah Company catalog is a jewel -- although they are out of business, some of those articles are online.

What has been the most challenging aspect for you? Latin

What aspect has come naturally for you? Breaking things down into manageable pieces that dc can easily digest.

What are your favorite homeschool memories thus far? I loved when my dd was little and we did lots of hands on stuff.

What is the best advice you've been given? Well, most of my advice has come from this board. I think that not thinking of homeschooling as public school at home has been the best.

Don't overthink what you're going to do. Pick something and start, because there is no perfect curriculum or way of doing out there to be discovered. You teaching your child is the most important ingredient. The materials used are secondary.

I'm new here so I hope you all don't mind if I just jump right in!

How long and for what grades have you homeschooled? I began homeschooling my kids mid-way through their kindergarten year; they are currently in fourth grade.

Did you know from the start you would homeschool or did some event point you down this road? Never in a million years did I ever think I would homeschool my kids. But their kindergarten year was a source of incredible frustration and disappointment for our family and about a third of the way into the year I realized that if my kids didn't receive a more solid foundation in learning from the very beginning that it would adversely affect their entire education. It was at that point we dedided to make the leap and bring them home.

Were you homeschooled? No.

Does anyone in your extended family homeschool? No. No one in our family or circle of friends homeschools.

What method and materials did you use your first year of homeschooling? Since they were only in K when we started I used an eclectic mix of workbooks, Hooked on Phonics, lots of field trips and reading.

What method and materials are you currently using? I am currently starting all over again looking for curriculum for this year. We have used Calvert, Curriculum Services and MBTP in the past and none have been a good fit. After receiving some great advice from the ladies here and doing lots of research, I have decided to piece together my own curriculum. Right now I'm leaning toward Writing Tales, Growing with Grammar, AAS, most likely NOEO science and the rest is up in the air!

What books, ideas, etc. have helped shape your homeschool? Cathy Duffy's 100 Top Picks is my best friend at the moment. :thumbup:

What has been the most challenging aspect for you? Balancing homeschool, my three-day-a-week WOHM job and the household. It's a work in progress that I still have not mastered.

What aspect has come naturally for you? My DH tells me I'm a very good teacher. I never would have thought that was possible.

What are your favorite homeschool memories thus far? Teaching my kids to read was a huge and very rewarding milestone for us.

What is the best advice you've been given? Let it go. I'm still working on that one!

What advice do you give others just starting this journey? Hmmmm, that's a tough one. I guess my best suggestion at the moment would be to hold off on buying an entire year's worth of curriculum until you're absolutely certain it's going to work for your family.

How long and for what grades have you homeschooled? This is our first year. So 3 months. I have a 5th grader and a 3rd grader.

Did you know from the start you would homeschool or did some event point you down this road? No, I did not know. My original thoughts of homeschoolers are not at all accurate. What took me here was my son's struggles in public school. Academics were fine but the bullying was not. After giving it the old college try for 2 years we took mattters into our own hands.

Were you homeschooled? No.

Does anyone in your extended family homeschool? No.

What method and materials did you use your first year of homeschooling? Ater tons of research and using the Well Trained mind as a guide I pieced together an eclectic curriculum. We are using History Odyssey, Math-U-See, Voyages in English, REAL Science for Kids, an assortment of literature, and online resources.

What method and materials are you currently using? See above.

What books, ideas, etc. have helped shape your homeschool? The Well Trained Mind and a friend who homeschools.

What has been the most challenging aspect for you? Overcoming my own laziness. Some days I just dont want to do anything and only do the bare minimum.

What aspect has come naturally for you? I have no idea. I am a go with the flow kind of gal so perhaps it is my ability not to be totally freaked out.

What are your favorite homeschool memories thus far? Seeing my son get long division and upside down multiplication. That and sleeping in.

What is the best advice you've been given? Lighten up. You will cover the same material as other kids just at a different time.

What advice do you give others just starting this journey? Know your heart. Only you know what you can and can not do.

Hsling since 2006 (in our 3rd year now), 1st-3rd (now)

Event- dd8 went to public school K at an out of county public school.

Were you homeschooled?

No.

No. My brother and his wife did for a year or two after I started, their kids are now in public school again. They used Switched on Schoolhouse.

We followed The Well-Trained Mind for 1st grade, almost to the T.

We're more of a Charlotte Mason homeschool that uses the trivium for studying history and science.

3rd Grade: Explorer's Bible Study, Math on the Level (just starting to use), Prima Latina, Primary Language Lessons, Explode the Code, Poetry memorization, Tapestry of Grace, Building Critical Thinking Skills 1, I piece together our science, Draw Squad and a few other misc. things.

The Well-Trained Mind, Real Learning by Elizabeth Foss, The Original Homeschooling Series by C. Mason, Ruth Beechick's books have been the most influential, I use others as well.

Achieving balance and prioritizing: in academics, life, discipline, etc.

Research and organizing.

If you go to my blog and look at the header, all the photos of the kids are my favorites. They capture moments I never want to forget. My favorite memories will be more of experiencing things with my kids, although witnessing them grow academically is wonderful it doesn't compare to seeing them grow as individuals and being able to see the world through their eyes.

"It's a marathon, not a race"

Stories of graduated hslers telling their moms "thank you" for being there, guiding them but not so much about the academics.

To teach thoroughly the 3R's because everything else is completely dependent on how well the 3R's have been taught/learned.

Take time to learn about your child, their learning style and your teaching style before picking curricula. I don't really give advice about how to live their lives, other than to develop routines. I think each parent that chooses to homeschool has their own dreams and desires for their children and are bombarded enough by others' priorities so I don't advise in that area unless they ask me.

This is our first year, K & 1

When my youngest two were little, I planned to homeschool, then I tried working for a year. I couldn't bear putting them in public PreK, it seemed too stifling, so I pulled my son out, let my daughter finish a year at a church half-day preschool, and they've been home since.

Were you homeschooled?

Nope.

Yep. My sister homeschooled my niece, which is how I first learned of homeschooling. She was homeschooled until ninth grade, when she went to a small Christian school. She is in college studying accounting now, and doing quite well. My younger brother was homeschooled for about a year in 8th grade, then went to same small Christian school. My younger sister was homeschooled during her high school years. She got her GED and went on to college.

What method and materials did you use your first year of homeschooling?SOTW 1, Saxon Math 1, HWT, OPGTR, Sonlight 1 Read Alouds, Science - I just make up my own following suggestions in WTM

See above. :001_smile:

TWTM, I also like Charlotte Mason ideas

Sticking to a schedule, but since mine are so young, we don't really worry if we are behind

Learning with my kids, encouraging them to make discoveries on their own

Listening to/watching the kids explore and imagine

Chill out.

Chill out.

How long and for what grades have you homeschooled? Just graduated my oldest this past May.

Did you know from the start you would homeschool or did some event point you down this road? We moved to a really bad school district the week the oldest would've started K. We planned to keep him home that year and send him to first. None of the kids have ever been to a school

Were you homeschooled? No

Does anyone in your extended family homeschool? No

What method and materials did you use your first year of homeschooling? Oakmeadow/ Waldorf

What method and materials are you currently using? Eclectic. Heavy on Charlotte Mason & Classical.

What books, ideas, etc. have helped shape your homeschool? CM series....actually all that I've read influence me to some degree.

What has been the most challenging aspect for you? Returning to the workforce in 2000. But now I'm the most balance and organized with work/homeschool in the mix.

What aspect has come naturally for you? Keeping our family life balance and happy.

What are your favorite homeschool memories thus far? Far too many to choose from.

What is the best advice you've been given? Enjoy your children they are only little once.

What advice do you give others just starting this journey? Take it one day at a time.

How long and for what grades have you homeschooled? This is our 7th year and we have done it from the start

Did you know from the start you would homeschool or did some event point you down this road? Nope. I didn't know we would homeschool until we started looking into putting dd into K and she was already reading fluently.

Were you homeschooled? nope!

Does anyone in your extended family homeschool?Yes, my sil does, and they are close to us. We do history together.

What method and materials did you use your first year of homeschooling? I have a WTM-er all the way.

What method and materials are you currently using?I still use WTM concepts, but we use TOG for history.

What books, ideas, etc. have helped shape your homeschool?WTM is my favorite.

What has been the most challenging aspect for you? Having no time to myself....ever.

What aspect has come naturally for you?Lesson planning! I love planning and organizing everything!! I taught public school (math) before having kids.

What are your favorite homeschool memories thus far? I love homeschooling. I love being with my kids. I love reading out loud and doing history projects.

What is the best advice you've been given? Laugh lots!

Laugh lots! Treat this as you would a job-you can't skip just because you don't feel like it. Don't overbuy curriculum (which is hard to do when you are figuring out what you like). Have fun with your kids!!

How long and for what grades have you homeschooled? Started in Kindergarten and my daughter is in 6th grade

Did you know from the start you would homeschool or did some event point you down this road? No, I put 4 older children through public school. The youngest was in 12 grade when her baby sister was due to start school and she insisted that I not put her in public school.

Writing Road to Reading, Abeka History, Spectrum Math

What method and materials are you currently using? TOG, IEW, Video Text Algebra, Latin Prep

What books, ideas, etc. have helped shape your homeschool? TWTM discovered this about 1/2 through kindergarten

What has been the most challenging aspect for you? Actually teaching, it is not my "gift"

What aspect has come naturally for you? Organizing and planning this is my "gift"

What are your favorite homeschool memories thus far? Lots of fun field trips

What is the best advice you've been given? Teach history Chronologically

What advice do you give others just starting this journey? Enjoy it, don't stress

How long and for what grades have you homeschooled? 7 Years (K (3x), 1st (2x), 3rd (2x), 4th (2x), 5th (1x), and 6th (1x).

Did you know from the start you would homeschool or did some event point you down this road? I did not know until my 1st born was half way through kindergarten. I believe that God lead me to do this as he placed numerous people in my path that were homeschooling which made me start processing the idea.

What method and materials did you use your first year of homeschooling? Sonlight and Math U See

What method and materials are you currently using? TWTM, Horizons math, Teaching Textbooks, Rightstart Math, SOTW, Apologia, Analytical Grammar, PenTime, Phonics Pathways, IEW.

What books, ideas, etc. have helped shape your homeschool? TWTM, Ruth Beechicks books, Cathy DUffy's books.

What has been the most challenging aspect for you? Juggling school among different ages and keeping up with housework

What aspect has come naturally for you? Being with my kids everyday - can't imagine it any other way.

What are your favorite homeschool memories thus far? Snuggling on the couch reading books - watching the light bulb come on when they learn - really too many to list.

What is the best advice you've been given? To be consistent in what I am doing and to work on habits and attitudes early on.

What advice do you give others just starting this journey? To be willing to spend a great amount of time to educate yourself on homeschooling and to try different methods until you find what works.

:001_smile:

I was not homeschooled, but have always homeschooled our children. Dh and I have a lot of siblings and cousins, many of whom we greatly respect and have raised some fantastic children, none of them has chosen to homeschool.

I've been hopelessly eclectic from the beginning, with a leaning towards literature based education as I followed a classical rotation of subjects. (My originial classical model was slightly different from TWTM.)

My favorite book in the beginning was the Charlotte Mason Companion.

My greatest challenge has been meeting all the individual educational needs of my children. I have a very eclectic group of children. It keeps me on my toes and requires a lot more research of educational materials. If it weren't for this variety, I would probably be one of those homeschoolers who never tried any new products.

I do love researching materials though. It is an area that seems more natural to me than many I meet IRL.

The aspect of homeschooling that comes the most naturally to me is simply the JOY of it. Yes, we have our challenging moments, but overall I've loved the journey thus far. My favorite memory is watching my children learn how to read.

The best advice I can give to a new home educator is to respect your child and teach to your child's pace. As I mentioned above, I have great diversity in my group and work out individual plans and goals for each child. For encouragement, I love to study the great leaders of our nation; each of them had such different natural abilities and challenges to overcome.

This is my 6th year.

K4 - 4x + current

K5 - 2x

1st - 1x

2nd - current

3rd - 1x for 1/2 year (came home in Feb)

4th - current

6th - 1x for 1/2 year (came home in Feb)

7th - 1x for 1/2 year (came home in Feb) + current

8th - current

I knew by the time my oldest child was 3 that I would homeschool. Due to divorce, however, that didn't work out after she was ready for grade 1. Now after years of praying, my desire to homeschool my three children has turned into homeschooling my FIVE children. :001_smile: Our 2 little boys have been home since the beginning, and we added my three olders this past Feb.

Were you homeschooled?

No

No

Abeka and Rod & Staff

I am using 'The Well Trained Mind' as my guide.

King James Bible

Abeka Math K-3, Saxon Math 5/4 + up w/Dive Cd, Singapore CWP as supplement

First Lang Lessons 1 + 2, Rod and Staff English 3 + up

Explode the Code and Ordinary Parents Guide to Reading

Spelling Workout and Vocab From Classical Roots

Memoria Press Latin products

ABeka Handwriting K-3

Fallacy Detective

Private Piano

Apologia Zoology 2 (will begin 4 yr rotation next year with all: Biology)

Old Testament History and some Church History (will begin 4 yr rotation next year with all: Ancients)

Adding next week: Writing Tales for my 4th grader, Classical Writing for my 7th and 8th graders, and Real Science 4 Kids Chemistry 2 for my 7th and 8th graders, and Writing with Ease workbook 2 for my 2nd grader.

The Well Trained Mind, Teaching The Trivium, and Ruth Beechick.

Having older kids join our homeschool vs. homeschooling from a young age.

Spending hours, day after day focusing on kids.

Edited by Titus.Two.Five

We've homeschooled since the beginning. I'm on my first round of 4th grade, second round of 3rd grade, third round of 1st grade, and 4th round of K4. I'm about to start my fifth round of preschool because my littlest guy has started demanding school, and that means he wants my attention, a pencil, and some worksheets that look like something his brothers might do.

I decided about a year after I graduated high school that I would homeschool. I met my dh about 2 years later and he somehow agreed. I found out later that he actually wrote a paper against homeschooling in college :lol:. But he's on board now, completely.

Were you homeschooled?

No. My mom talked about homeschooling my brother (he was a less than stellar student), but never did.

My SIL is homeschooling now. When she lived in the same town as me, her ds went to a wonderful Classical school. Then they moved to TX, and after a bad year in public school she did a part school/part homeschool classical school. Now they are in AZ and she's homeschooling full time.

I read TWTM before we started schooling and loved the logic behind it. We used Saxon, Phonics Pathways, the Science & History recs. and the library.

Saxon math, Singapore CWP, R&S English, Writing with Ease, Song School Latin, Latin for Children A, Greek Alphabet Code Cracker, Harp & Laurel Wreath, Spelling Power, Explode the Code, Handwriting without Tears, StartWrite, Story of the World

TWTM, LCC, and Charlotte Mason Companion

I've never homeschooled without a toddler/preschooler.

Scheduling, organizing, researching, and planning.

Just the day to day stuff. Watching the relationships between my boys grow and flourish. I know at least some of the academic stuff could happen elsewhere, but having them home means that we really know each other.

It's a marathon, not a sprint.

Don't panic. You will have great days, bad days, and plenty of ordinary good days. It's a marathon, not a sprint.

6 years, Pre-K-4th grade

Pretty much, yes. But when we first thought about it, the schools in our area were ummm, not exactly qualilty. We then moved to an area with quality schools, but they told me my son would probably have difficulties. So, since we couldn't afford the two really good schools in the area, homeschooling was truly our only best option.

Were you homeschooled?

Yes, for 2 years. I came home in 11th grade to complete my studies. Looking back, this probably would have been an excellent option for me from about the 6th grade on... except there wasn't much available, so not sure how well I would have done. With today's curriculum choices I think I would have done MUCH better!

Yes, both of my married brothers homeschool. Although we don't discuss it.

100 EZ Lessons, Frontline Phonics, Sing-Spell-Read & Write, Abeka (can you tell we were having issues?), HWw/oTears, Abkea Cursive (again, issues), Saxon K and switched to Singapore Math. Abeka Health & Social Studies. Veritas Press Reading List

I call it a modified Classical Method :D Essentially, we use a textbook spine and then supplement with additional reading, learning videos, etc. My oldest isn't a voracious reader, so just doing "real books" was awful for both of us. My younger two have really enjoyed workbooks (and they've been oh, so easy, to implement in K/1st) -- so for now we do that. We use K12, Abeka, Veritas Press, Signapore Math and SOTW.

The Well Trained Mind, None Dare Call It Education, personal experiences (dh and myself), Jeff Myers, other homeschool families (e.g. my brother's families).

I'm not a cuddly, toucy, warm-fuzzy person -- I'm personally very driven. So far, 3/4 of my children are very cuddly/touchy... my oldest is anything BUT driven. Finding balance between what I expect them to do and what they may actually be capable of doing. Juggling work, homeschooling and family obligations.

I've actually been pretty good about reading my children, and knowing when something is working and when it's really NOT. Willingness to switch gears completely when it's necessary, even if that means no new shoes for myself for a year or more!

The day my oldest finally "got" blending, when we switched curriculums AGAIN, and my oldest actually smiled when it was school time. When we sing the silling VP Bible/History songs... and when my kids are doing their Latin chants. Those all bring smiles to my face (it's all about me, right?)

Just because it worked "fine" for A, doesn't mean it will work "fine" for B. You have to be willing to change, and meet your children where they are. When in doubt, listen to your heart.

Know your limitations, and don't be afraid to change gears if something isn't working. Homeschooling is a journey, a lifestyle -- not just a task to be checked off the "to-do" list.

4 yrs officially. Our dc were in 1st, 2nd, and 9th when we brought them home. Do you know how fun it was starting out with a highschooler? Many hairs lost.:lol:

We did after-school homeschool with our oldest for 11 years (before we had known the name for what we were doing was "after-schooling"):D

Did you know from the start you would homeschool or did some event point you down this road? Event-lack of quality education plus spiritual reasons later down the road led us.

Were you homeschooled? No. Wish I had been. I am re-educating myself as I educate our dc.

Does anyone in your extended family homeschool? No. We are the outcasts.:lol: My mother actually hs'ed my nephew for one year under an umbrella program. She had later discovered how it was "work" and placed him into ps.

What method and materials did you use your first year of homeschooling? Our first year, we were under an umbrella program using ACE material. I quickly withdrew. (did NOT agree with us). Then we went with a more traditional/eclectic approach and later moved into CM.

Oh, where to begin? You can check out my blog (link in siggy) and find our curriculum under "Our School" on the right. :)

CM Education-Levison. TWTM had some influence also.

What has been the most challenging aspect for you? Organization!

What aspect has come naturally for you? Teaching. I love teaching. I'm just not organized at it. LOL

What are your favorite homeschool memories thus far? I have so many but my most fav is when my youngest son curled up with me on the couch to read a good book. He looked up to me as I read and said "I love you, Mom" and as I sat there with such a warm feeling overtaking me, he let out an explosive and toxic fume from his rear end!

Aaaaah! The memories and joys of homeschooling. (sigh)

What is the best advice you've been given? "It's your homeschool! YOU teach it and stop following what everyone else is doing." "You can be your greatest obstacle."

What advice do you give others just starting this journey?You can do it! Pray and do your research first. You never stop learning. You will NEVER know everything there is to know about homeschooling.

I have homeschooled preschool, preK, Kindergarten, first, second and now third grade.

Wanted to but didn't think it would happen until we met that tot preschool teacher who totally turned us off the public school system.

Were you homeschooled?

No, but I wanted to be.

No.

Charlotte Mason method using Usborne books but quickly switched to Oak Meadow Preschool then Sonlight.

Relaxed LCC with my oldest and relaxed traditional with my youngest. Check my signature for curriculum choices.

The Well Trained Mind, The Latin Centered Curriculum, Charlotte Mason Original Homeschool Series, HomeschoolShare, and John Holt.

The fact that I have a child who is easily distracted and that I have to adapt and combine subjects.

planning.

There are so many. Probably teaching my children to read which had been a long process.

Relax and do not push them.

Relax, don't push and adapt to the child's needs.

:001_smile:

I taught our eldest to read at age 4, but DH thought I was being too protective and wanted "only to keep her home with me" when I suggested home education. So, she attended a Christian school for kndg. They actually tested her and placed her in what they called Primary One because she was reading and a precocious learner. We began homeschooling the next year after DH's employer went under and unemployment made tuition impossible. (although the Christian school offered her free tuition). I felt that I was getting my chance to prove that I could teach. We have homeschooled all nine children from K - 12 since spring 1989. We have 4 grads and 5 students. Our youngest is learning to read and he loves it! Funny how The Baby does everything much later than the others....

I was not home educated and did not know anyone who did. I had been bored with school although I earned good grades and a full college scholarship. My sister has "homeschooled" but she is one of those that gives it a bad name...enough said.

DD was such a bright, quick learner that we cruised through a year's worth of first grade texts in all subject areas in 11 weeks. I had to learn not to "ring the bell" and to relax! I recommend that people read "A Patchwork of Days" because it illustrates well how each family can educate their children in their own way.

I especially enjoy teaching the little ones to read, explore their Bibles, and enjoy math. I tailor each child's studies to them and will drop a text if it isn't right for them. Too many memories to list, but it has been terrific having them all home together playing, studying, enjoying each other. They really do grow up fast. I don't think they would be as close to each other if they had been divided by grade levels and clashing schedules. Home education for us is a family sanctuary that prepares them for adult life. I think we should be very careful about comparing our children to other's or each other within the family.

My advice? I like to say that home educators need to be at home. I know too many that run here and there and are never home getting the work done. They are usually the ones that "give up" and put the kids back in "school." I guess that is where the natural aspect comes in for me...I am a homebody, nesting type A person :)

"Officially" started with dd in K, she's in 7th now, so that would make this our 8th year.

Just gonna copy WTMindy on this one, since my answer would be the same . . .Nope. I didn't know we would homeschool until we started looking into putting dd into K and she was already reading fluently.

Were you homeschooled?

No

Dh's brother & sil homeschooled their children. Being the freshly-minted elementary education grad, I thought their kids were missing out on so much!

Read TWTM the summer before dd's K year, when we had officially decided to homeschool. I knew this was the kind of education I wanted for my kids. It was a great fit for dd.

Still love TWTM, but not page for page like I started out. DD still does a 4-year history cycle and continues with Latin. Now that I'm a second-time arounder (ds's are in 2nd and K), I just do what fits them best. I feel like TWTM gave me a vision and got me started, and with the confidence that comes from experience I am comfortable choosing what is best for each child. See my siggy for what specific curricula we now use.

Definitely TWTM, and I always recommend it to new homeschoolers.

DH travels with his business, so I would say that having to do it all by myself (mom, teacher, and everything in between) when he is gone has been the most challenging.

The teacher part, including the planning. I always wanted to teach, and having my own children for my only students has been such a blessing.

Just being together all the time as a family and getting to share learning together.

"Homeschool--it's not about school, it's about home." I think the relationship part of homeschool was something that I didn't account for when I started, and it's the whole reason I do it now.

Recognize that it's not what you are putting into your kids heads that's important, it's the extra time you get to nurture their hearts that makes homeschooling really special.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How long and for what grades have you homeschooled? All grades, 15 years

Did you know from the start you would homeschool or did some event point you down this road? I wanted to homeschool because of what I saw from some friends who homeschooled, and having taught for some time, I knew what could be accomplished at home would be much better.

Does anyone in your extended family homeschool? My step-sister

What method and materials did you use your first year of homeschooling? ABeka, Saxon, Greenleaf

What method and materials are you currently using? Hake, Foerster's math, Stobaugh, LL, TQ

What books, ideas, etc. have helped shape your homeschool? Teaching the Trivium, The Well-Trained Mind, Shepherding a Child's Heart, Educating the Wholehearted Child

What has been the most challenging aspect for you? Consistency, lack of support, lack of respect

What aspect has come naturally for you? Scheduling, exploring and choosing curriculum

What are your favorite homeschool memories thus far? Discipleship time, nature studies

What is the best advice you've been given? SLOW DOWN, take a deep breath

What advice do you give others just starting this journey Pray, pray, pray.

Follow through on what you see you need to do.

Yvonne

We have homeschooled forever, officially 6 years. My oldest is in 5th grade, my middle is in 3rd grade and the little guy is doing PreK.

We guessed that we would homeschool from the beginning, but a Sunday School teacher who told me to take the books away from my preschooler who was reading so that she would be normal sealed the decision. The teacher has a degree in education with extra work in gifted kids. I couldn't put my daughter in her care.

Were you homeschooled?

No

No

Five in a Row, Horizons Math

A mix, All American History, Horizons Math, Science Kits, other stuff too

Upside Down Brilliance, Well Trained Mind, Misdiagnosis and Dual Diagnosis of Gifted Kids (wrong title but close)

Dealing with extreme asynchrony. Widely different levels for math and english and everything

Loving them, the rest is hard work

Watching them play together and watching the bigger kids read to my little one.

Meet them where they are and then go on.

Try to be calm. Take care of yourself. Love them.

How long and for what grades have you homeschooled? We started in first grade, are currently doing 5th. Makes it easy to count.

Did you know from the start you would homeschool or did some event point you down this road? Homeschooling was always 2nd, behind private school. The jaw dropping price increase for 1st grade led us to homeschooling.

Does anyone in your extended family homeschool? Nope

What method and materials did you use your first year of homeschooling? Abeka

What method and materials are you currently using? The Latin-Centered Curriculum tweaked for our family.

What books, ideas, etc. have helped shape your homeschool? The Latin-Centered Curriculum, I want a t-shirt that says "Plaid Dad saved my sanity." :D Also love the talk from Ken Robison about creative children.

What has been the most challenging aspect for you? Day to day planning. I love researching and planning ahead but I sometimes have to remember to finish todays assignments first.

What aspect has come naturally for you? The planning and research of curriculum.

What are your favorite homeschool memories thus far? There are so many. The one that stands out is the from the first week we started to homeschool. Dh was home for a rain day, ds and I were sitting talking and I watched him understand a math problem for the first time. My whole family was in one room and it felt so right.

What is the best advice you've been given? My dh committed us to three years homeschooling up front. It wasn't really advice, but his don't give up attitude kept me going in the first two years.

What advice do you give others just starting this journey? Blessed are the flexible for they shall not be bent out of shape.

This is my first year homeschooling my DS5. I "discovered" homeschooling in a fateful manner~ I was just out of college and between jobs, so I decided to houseclean for extra money. I only took on two houses, one of which the couple worked from home and one where the family homeschooled. I asked a million questions, most likely all the annoying ones like "What about socialization?".... but I was asking because I was excited and curious about their unique lifestyle and their educational philosophy. So I knew I wanted to homeschool years before we even had children. It took a lot longer to get DH on board. :001_huh:

I read every homeschooling book I could get my hands on, many of which I found in our library's ongoing booksale for twenty cents each :lol:. The one that inspired me the most was TWTM, mostly for the advice given on how to DO it all, from record keeping to notebooking to which books/curriculum to choose from. Charlotte Mason has influenced me more than TWTM in how to actually live our lives, how to set the tone of our home and school, finding a daily rhythm, and encouraging us to use nature studies as a main source of learning in the early years.

I am in the process of learning my DS's learning style, and I believe he'd benefit most from doing unit studies. He jumps whole-heartedly and obsessively into a topic and devours everything possible on it, which I think would be a great way to "sneak in" all the other schooly type things like math and grammar... things he's not too thrilled about having to do from a workbook every day. BUT, it takes a LOT of work and I'm not sure if I want to go that route or if I'd even have the motivation to do so. Time will tell!

How long and for what grades have you homeschooled? Calvin part time from age 6 to 7, then full time thereafter. Hobbes has never been to school.

Did you know from the start you would homeschool or did some event point you down this road? We couldn't find a fit for Calvin in school (he's gifted and learning disabled)

Were you homeschooled? Nope.

What method and materials did you use your first year of homeschooling? Mostly materials from Sonlight, but not a core.

What method and materials are you currently using? Eclectic. Some materials are laid out in my siggy.

What books, ideas, etc. have helped shape your homeschool? WTM, lots of hanging out on message boards.

What has been the most challenging aspect for you? Just keeping going, and managing my own panic at the responsibility.

What aspect has come naturally for you? Hugs and kisses

What are your favorite homeschool memories thus far? Oh, just those little moments when a boy says something and you think, 'Yes, I taught him that.' Oh, and when they both aced their UK standardised tests last year.

What is the best advice you've been given? Start slowly and add things in as you go along.

What advice do you give others just starting this journey? The above.

Best wishes

Laura

I am in the my 3rd year homeschooling, I've done K, 1, and am now currently doing 2.

We pulled my oldest out of public school K in 2006 after about 8 weeks. It wasn't for us. I think we knew that to start - but homeschooling was too outside the box for us to truly consider until we experienced public school.

Were you homeschooled?

No.

No.

I used all materials by Winterpromise - so it was literature based.

After that first year I realized I didn't like being locked in to a schedule and selection of books and activities. I changed over to using WTM as my guide and choosing my own elements for LA, history, science, etc.

WTM and The Charlotte Mason Companion.

Follow through on days when it gets overwhelming having 4 young boys at home.

Plannning, researching, reading to the kids.

My oldest writing a letter to the President when he was in K, my just turned 3yo sounding out cvc words to my total amazement (he was always close by when I taught his older brother to read and picked up on it himself), my 2nd son's total enthusiasm for being at home vs going to school. The family time we've gained by being home together rather than going our separate ways each day.

The chapter on Kinder in WTM. I love it.

Go on a media blackout when you start. Reading and creating and learning is so fun for kids but if they are just watching the clock till tv and video game time arrives, it takes a lot of joy out of it.

Good questions. Makes for an interesting thread.

We've been homeschooling for about a year, but I started out mostly unschooling when ds was four as he was so little and now we're "officially" homeschooling in a more structured way in K. Ds is five, but technically in this district he would still be in preschool.

At first I thought it was too big an idea for me. Then the idea just started floating around in my head. After that it was dh who said out of the blue (and he doesn't say too much): Let's homeschool ds. Ds was two years old. I was so surprised I researched as much as I could about the subject for two years or so and emerged a homeschooler :)

Were you homeschooled?

No, but I was afterschooled by a mom who was and continues to be a wonderful teacher. I remember more from what she and my dad used to tell me and expand upon than school stuff.

Not in my extended family (that's my dh's right?), but my cousin in Lakeland, who's 15 years my senior, has been homeschooling her three boys for years. I haven't seen her since I was a little girl (before she left for college), so no contact. I would like to, I guess, especially now.

This is my first year of homeschooling. I use what's in my siggy.

See my siggy.

Charlotte Mason's Home Education, A Charlotte Mason Companion, When Children Love to Learn and TanglewoodEducation.com

The first step, and doing something that ILs do not necessarily approve of, and them being dh's employers. Probing questions and criticism from outsiders.

Learning alongside my ds and enjoying the bonding aspect.

Only in my tenth week, but we already have a few. Ds really reading nw -- woohoo! :D Ds creating stela art with Daddy, ds yelling at the top of his lungs: "Penmanship!!" because he's excited that it's time to do penmanship :lol: Also, doing school outdoors.

The school of life is as important as academics.

Take it one step at a time. Change one thing. Add one thing. It will all come together in its own unique mosaic -- your family homeschool.

Edited by sagira

This is my 6th year homeschooling - started in Primary (Kindergarten) and are currently in 5th.

No. As a teen in the 80's, I went to a church for awhile where EVERYONE but us homeschooled (we knew the TOG Somervilles there when they had just 3 kids, but I lost contact with them in the late 80s). It was a new thing to me, and I couldn't imagine why anyone would want to teach their kids at home. :lol: My Mom was a ps teacher, and when I had my 1st baby in the late 90s, she came to visit me. A homeschooling friend of mine (remember, I still had no clue about homeschooling) wanted to talk to my Mom about teaching her kids to read. As they talked, my Mom was encouraging her about her homeschooling, and giving her fun ideas of what she could do with her kids. I thought, "My Mom is making teaching sound like FUN!" I started asking my friend questions, talking to my Mom about how to teach different things, and reading any homeschooling book I could find in the library. I'd say I changed my mind about homeschooling when my oldest was just a few months old.

Were you homeschooled?

No. Mom was a single parent of 5 kids, teaching ps full time - she couldn't have done it - though she told me recently she would have tried unschooling us in high school if she'd known about it. My youngest brother WAS homeschooled for about 6 months while he and Mom worked in a missions organization together. She had him do Saxon math and read books from a booklist.

No, but I keep hoping some of my sibs will do it with their kids.

For primary, it was just reading books, some math worksheets, and a spelling notebook from WRTR and lots of playtime.

Most are from WTM (R&S English, LC2, SOTW, Drawing With Children, the science recs, even the 5th grade music book recs - they're great!). The only things different from the recs are WRTR for spelling/teaching to read, and R&S math. Also, I tend to hand my kids more to read on their own. For example, I don't read all the science/history supplements to them - I just don't have time - but I do read SOTW and dd8's science spine to her. I have one reading aloud time at night when I read poems/lit./a choice between art, music, sci. or hist. supp.. I used to feel bad for not reading every single thing, but not anymore. They do just fine on their own. I operate within the overall topic of the year (ancient history, biology for science, ancient lit., etc.), but focus on practicing the skills (writing, drawing, etc.) on the content subjects. We never do formal history projects and I've given up the self-induced guilt there, too. :)

Before my oldest was 6 or so, I read everything homeschool related and gleaned lots of good from all of them. Esp. from unschooler books - the freedom to pursue interests, and lots of playtime. I read WTM somewhere in there, but it seemed like too much work at the time (no wonder, ds was only 3 and I couldn't imagine into the future). When he was 6, I reread WTM and was sold on it, because I needed a plan to follow starting in grade 1.

Lately, it has been that I have to be so disciplined to make sure things happen that I want to happen. When my kids were younger, it was easier to skip days or skip activities. Nowadays, I do have solid plans I want to work through, so it all rests on ME to make sure it gets done. But I just keep the long term goals in mind, and try to keep a schedule for myself that includes some down time (if it doesn't get taken by yet another unexpected thing coming up, like "Oh, I need to go cut out more flashcards, I'm running out!"

Probably the details......I like analyzing something to figure out how to teach it so that my kids understand it and are able to use it (like writing skills or math skills or spelling skills).

When my daughter hugs me and says she would never want to go to school elsewhere because she would miss me too much, or when my son says that despite all his complaints about me making him do skills work, he KNOWS it's good for his brain. (and then me watching him automatically using that skill in the course of his life)

From my Mom - "You CAN teach your kids by yourself, Colleen. You are not stupid. Don't think that only 'professionals' can do it. You know your kids better than anyone else, which makes you the best teacher for them."

"Read the WTM, go peruse the message boards, and yes, YOU can do it, too."

Edited by Colleen in NS

This is our third year.

We had a disastrous experience with our ps's special ed preschool and decided to hs for K.

Were you homeschooled?

No

No, but my family is supportive of our hsing.

Trial and error! Calvert K, Singapore EB and Bob books were some of our greatest hits.

We love LLATL, R&S Math, SOTW and FIAR.

I love the WTM and some aspects of CM, but ds has been a reality check. I'm glad he's the oldest hser so that I don't have to adjust my expectations downward from dd's schoolwork. It's much easier to be pleasantly surprised by her achievements!

Learning to work with ds was a challenge in the beginning. Now, I need to work on not overscheduling us.

Making school a normal part of life. We just do a bit everyday.

FIAR

You won't ruin your child by hsing them.

Don't worry about having to try several curricula before you find one that's a good fit. It's worth going through this process your first year so that you know what works for you as your kids get older and schoolwork gets more complex.

How long and for what grades have you homeschooled? We started in PreK and dd is in 4th grade. So we have been hsing for 6 years.

Did you know from the start you would homeschool or did some event point you down this road? Never even thought about it until dd was 4 years old.

Were you homeschooled? No. I had some friends that were hs'd and knew some people hsing their kids.

Does anyone in your extended family homeschool? No. Many are not even supportive.

What method and materials did you use your first year of homeschooling? We used Sonlight our first years with a mix of unschooling.

What method and materials are you currently using? Currently, we are a mix of Classical and Charlotte Mason. Our materials are in my siggie line.

What books, ideas, etc. have helped shape your homeschool? Charlotte Mason Companion

What has been the most challenging aspect for you?Seasonal mood swings and writing mechanics.

What aspect has come naturally for you? Supporting dc in their interests.

What are your favorite homeschool memories thus far? Watching dd learn how to read.

What is the best advice you've been given? They will learn it eventually. And they always have.

What advice do you give others just starting this journey? Find what works for you and your dc. Do not worry about what others are doing. There is always going to be something else that comes along. Find your path a walk it one day at a time.

We're in our twelfth year - eldest dd is a junior, so PK-11th grade

Always thought the big yellow bus would come. Dh and I are/were public school teachers. We met two homeschool families, admired their kids, and the rest was history!

Were you homeschooled?

No.

No.

Sonlight, Core K. Only had one kid then!

A mish-mash. TOG for core. Singapore Math, too many to list!

WTM, of course! Scripture primarily. Sonlight's catalog, as well.

juggling the needs of all my kids - challenging the olders, nurturing the youngers.

Teaching. Not hard, I enjoy being creative.

The moments when we're all together, learning something. Seeing the others empathize with a hurting sibling. The fun of all doing and sharing together. Great discussions with my dc about what God is doing in our lives, often brought out by something we've read in history.

Life is school. Grab a vision for your family, and don't lose sight of it.

If you have young children, please PLEASE don't obsess about homeschooling and burn yourself out before 1st grade. If you are a Christian, don't neglect your own walk with the Lord. Actions speak louder than words.

I'm in my 7th year. K-6th

No, I never thought I would. But witnessing others homeschool successfully got me thinking about it.

Were you homeschooled?

Nope.

My SIL did for about 4 years, but her kids are in private school now.

WTM & Charlotte Mason

WTM loosely, but very eclectic in my approach

WTM, Educating the Wholehearted Child, Nebel's Elementary Education

Finding the balance between rigor and relaxed exploration.

The organization & planning.

Being able to travel pretty extensively and just taking school with us.

Not being tied to someone else's schedule.

Watching my children dig further into a subject in their own time.

Your kids will learn even when you aren't actively teaching them. Give them resources and time and let them go.

Take it easy. Start slow. Don't try to change the world during their Kindergarten year. :tongue_smilie:

Homeschooled my ds from 6th through 8th then 10th through graduation.

Homeschooling the dd from K to the current 2nd

Horrible experience in middle school put us in homeschool. My ds is one of those kids whose teachers always said "He is very, very bright but". At the time, my part-time daycare provider and a soccer mom friend both homeschooled, otherwise I don't know that I would have considered it.

Were you homeschooled?

Nope

Nope

Sonlight

Classically eclectic

WTM, CM, Waldorf, Montessori, LCC, Sonlight

Defining my expectations

Oh I don't know what is easy. It changes every year. Reading and enjoying literature has been consistently the best part so maybe that is the easiest.

There are lots, but most of them are memories that would never have happened without homeschool like watching my son read Sir Gawain and the Green Knight to my daughter or watching my girls act out Hamlet after listening to my son and I read it. Or seeing son explain borrowing to his sister. How about seeing my youngest, when she was 3, explaining metamorphic rocks to everyone at dinner, not because I taught it to her, but because I taught it to her sister and her friends. I really loved listening to my kids talk ideas over breakfast about why Rome and other great nations fell - even the youngest was involved in the conversation. The best part is that as my teen was growing up, we had things to share and discuss. We talked about books, history, math, science, and ideas.

That I CAN do it.

Create a school that you would want your kids to attend.

We started in K and are now in 7th grade.

I considered it starting around 3yo, but didn't really "know" until I did not sign ds up for K at the local school.

Were you homeschooled?

No. Private school for elementary. Public school for high school. Private college. Public graduate school.

Yes. I have a sister who is a radical unschooler.

Method - loosely Dorothy & Raymond Moore's philosophy of a balance between work, study, and service. Materials - MUS, Reading Reflex, and a weekly class at the local science museum. We also delivered Meals on Wheels.

Method - classical to the best of my ability. Materials - in my signature.

Cathy Duffy for learning styles and curriculum reviews.

Dorothy & Raymond Moore's philosophy of a balance between work, study, and service.

Well-Trained Mind for an academic blueprint.

A Sense of Self by Susannah Sheffer for inspiration.

WTM boards for encouragement, inspiration, problem solving, and a life line.

Balancing paid employment and homeschooling and life in general.

Spending enormous amounts of time with a non-compliant ds.

math - love it

reading with ds

research

Listening to ds ask dh if he could work on his school project of ripping up the kitchen tile.

Overhearing ds sending his stuffed animals to the "underworld" after reading a children's version of the Illiad and the Odyssey.

Reenacting an ancient Greek democratic meeting, complete with arguing for/against different issues before voting.

Ds jumping around the room with both feet in a soccer sock while I read history.

Ds using lego men to act out the history battle I'm reading.

Ds setting fire to the city of London he contructed.

Watching ds jump up and down excitedly during a science experiment that involved rolling a matchbox car down a ramp into a line of banana slices to see how much force it would take to smash the bananas.

Riding our bikes on a school day to the library then to a pizza place for lunch with dad.

Listening to ds play piano at a Halloween party/talent show in front of all his basketball buddies.

Learning about all our backyard birds in Kansas City. We lived on the outskirts of town, across from a tree nursery.

I'm sure there's more.

Gosh. I'll have to come back to this one.

To take it a year at a time. Looking at the enormity of the big picture is too overwhelming for me.

Why do you ask?

Edited by Sue in St Pete

Mine never went to preschool- but formally this is our 4th year

When my first dd was 6 months old I was having so much fun with her and couldn't imagine sending her to school- the idea went from there

Were you homeschooled?

Not offically- I have LD so I went to school and then my parents bought all my textbooks and retaught me everything at home

My husbands brother and his wife- she and I have a lot in common

Sonlight, five-in-a-row, and some WTM

WTM- with some Sonlight books and a week off every now and then for five-in-a-row vol4 or "Beyound"

TWTM, All Ruth Beechicks books, Charlotte Mason Companion

Math and spelling- both I was/am HORRIBLE at

Creative things and reading books

Right now- my girls are into Birds and won't leave the house without their field guides (that they bought with their own $)

They are only young once- enjoy them and that LIFE is part of "education" and not to worry if the bookwork sometimes takes the backseat to life

The same that I got, but I would also tell them not to fret about finding the "perfect" curriculum- there isn't one and we will make ourselves sick (and go broke) trying to find it!:001_smile:

How long and for what grades have you homeschooled? K through 6th so 7 years

Did you know from the start you would homeschool or did some event point you down this road? Knew from the start

Were you homeschooled? Yes from 5th grade through high school

Does anyone in your extended family homeschool?Yes, my sister

What method and materials did you use your first year of homeschooling? Five in a Row 100 Easy Lessons Math U See

What method and materials are you currently using? MFW WTM language arts MathUSee Singapore

What books, ideas, etc. have helped shape your homeschool? WTM Charlotte Mason Companion

What has been the most challenging aspect for you?teaching 4 children with a 2 year old

What aspect has come naturally for you? Bible, History and Science reading and discussions with the kids.

What are your favorite homeschool memories thus far?Five in a Row activities and cooking projects, read alouds

What is the best advice you've been given?Take one day a time and do the next thing.

Don't rush the academics and enjoy your children when they are young. Have a lot of fun.

This is our 7th year. We've done pre-K through grade 5.

Weak academics and loose morals the one year I went to public high school were a big factor in deciding that my dc would attend either private school or be homeschooled.

Were you homeschooled?

Some. My parents were missionaries, so my school years were a patchwork of public school, private school, and homeschool. My second grade year I attended a local school and my mother supplemented with Calvert. For 9th, 10th, and 12th grades I did University of Nebraska's Independent studies for high schoolers.

No.

Five in a Row, Sonlight, Miquon math, Happy Phonics, Italic handwriting.

Literature-based studies for history and science; Time4Learning for math and language arts, Italic handwriting.

Literature based studies have been an integral part of our homeschool all along. We've used FIAR, Sonlight, Beautiful Feet, WinterPromise, programs I pulled together, and next year we'll be using Biblioplan.

The Sonlight catalog was influential in helping me see the richness of literature-based learning. Mary Pride's books helped me get a good overview of different methods and zero in on what seemed to be the best fit for us.

Our homeschool is literature based, and tends to lean traditional and/or classical, with a bit of Charlotte Mason mixed in. Trivium Pursuit and TWTM both were influences in our homeschool.

1) Our move overseas. Time constraints forced me to go with more traditional/less classical curricula and to give up Latin for the time being.

2) Homeschooling with toddlers.

Reading and discussion.

Seeing my children each develop their areas of strength, lots of neat field trips.

Character training takes top priority over academics.

If your oldest is still in preschool, take the time now to educate yourself on homeschooling and the options out there. Enjoy reading to them and being with them, and help them enjoy lots of exploration and play during these years. Teach them obedience and good habits. Kids grow up quickly, and before you know it, you'll be doing academics with them.

Blessings,

Laura

How long and for what grades have you homeschooled? For 6 weeks.

I had always considered it after elem. age but then we moved into the county and despite the raves for the schools I was very unhappy with a lot of things right from the get go. So a month in we pulled them out.

Were you homeschooled?

No.

Yes 8 of my cousins.

We are using Horizon's Math, TSOTW, our own science and language curc, R&S handwrinting and FLL .

same

TWTM and about 15 other books on homeschooling. TWTM impacted me by far the most.

Finding confidence in myself as a teacher.

Getting on a routine.

Watching my son learn to love to read, who hated it so much for too long.

To take it slow and not to worry.

I don't feel I am there yet. Still needing some myself,lol.

Almost 5.5 years, since ds was 7 and dd was 9.

I was attracted to the idea but dh wasnt on board until ds started really struggling at school in grade 2, when dh agreed to a 6 month trial. Within a few weeks dh was convinced and insisted dd be brought home as well.

Were you homeschooled?

No, but I would have loved it.

I have a cousin who homeschools on and off as they travel a lot, and a SIL who has homeschooled one of her 5 children for a year, and intends to homeschool a different child for a year next year.

I discovered CM first but within a few months read TWTM and started implementing that.

I use a variety of methods and curricula and freely change what we are doig when we get bored or it doesnt seem effective any more, or an efficient use of our time. I woudl say Ambleside is our main structure at the moment, using Years pre 7, moving onto Year 7- it jst fits where we are in the history cycle after using SOTW for 4 years. However, we are secular and I tweak freely.

The Well Trained Mind, Latin Centred Curricula, Charlotte Mason ideas, and a variety of other books like the Teenage Liberation Handbook.

My son. He has learning difficulties, a manipulative and charming personality, and he needs a lot of attention.

Planning. Being around my kids all day. Having homeschooling be the centre of my life for 5 years (but this phase is morphing into another as I am moving back into my career on top of homeschooling).

Sitting around reading books to and with my kids- the journeys we go on together with books. A year of Lord of the Rings was particularly memorable.

To not give up on my son and just wait till he matured. To be consistent and keep him writing even though he resisted it every day. The woman who told me this could not get her 15 year old son to do ANY writing for her- she wished she had tried harder when he was younger, but she kept waiting. I have taken her advice and am glad I have.

The other advice is to relax and enjoy the younger years, go on field trips etc. I wish I had taken this advice more than I did, as I was stressed out and fearful when I took them out of school- I needn't have been, i wish I had just had more fun with them.

Relax and enjoy the journey.

Take time to have fun, especially when they are young- and young is a lot longer than you think ! :)

Keep your life in balance, nourish yourself, train the kids to be alone sometimes so you can be creative, read, rest, have coffee with a girlfriend, whatever you need to do. Keep some separate interests going for yourself.

A daily routine and consistency go a long way to alleviating the guilt of not doing enough schoolwork. Taking time to do schoolwork most days adds up in the long run, but don't let it take all day, either- keep plenty of free time for play. More isnt necessarily better when it comes to schoolwork.

Feel free to change what isnt working.

10 years now, kindergarten through grade 9

HOMESCHOOL??? You must be kidding! That's for nut-cases. But as our oldest got near kindergarten and I realized that he was already past K level material by a long shot, I decided to look at alternative education.

Were you homeschooled?

No

No--I'm it! But I think my SIL might when her kids are old enough to go to school

Abeka for 4 months

Make-up-your-own stuff for 4 month

SL for 8 years

TOG now

TOG, MUS, Foerster, Abeka LA, Apologia Bio and Rainbow Bio, Elementary Greek

Definitely TWTM changed my hsing outlook--I've read it 3 times now, cover to cover.

SL philosophy of literature-based learning

I'm chronically fatigued from all of my activities--poor health is a major issue for me.

Organizing and lesson planning

Reading out-loud to my kids and watching them learn to teach themselves. Getting to know them as people and watching them grow spiritually.

For K and 1st grade, dump the workbooks and read, read, read....and do math. The rest will follow.

If you are starting with a K or 1st grader, don't obsess about a "curriculum". Save your money! Get a decent math program and a simple, no-frills reading program and spend your days outside exploring, talking together, or reading. Surround your elementary child with books--books in the bedroom, books in the bathroom, books in the car, books on tape! Spend these years winning their hearts so that the the middle school years go better.

1. HOW LONG /WHAT GRADES?

now in 9th year / grades 1-10

2. KNOW FROM THE START OR LATER?

We discussed homeschooling before our children were of school age, but due to specific circumstances, felt it was better for them to attend a private Christian school. When circumstances changed (but even more because we felt called by the Lord to homeschool), we brought them home starting in grades 1 & 2.

3. WERE YOU HOMESCHOOLED?

No. But in looking back, my mother was a natural homeschooler and provided a lot of enrichment that I'd call "after schooling", and which fostered a love of learning and provided a great example.

4. EXTENDED FAMILY HOMESCHOOL?

None.

5. METHODS/MATERIALS IN 1ST YEAR?

Methods:

Eclectic, though general overall structure/ideas coming from WTM.

Materials:

Some workbooks (LA and math); LOTS of real books; science kits; history activities; maps; mazes; puzzle pages; games.

In that first year we learned:

- Workbooks not the first/best method of learning for either child.

- Specific learning issues for one child.

- I can't teach strictly teach from a program or schedule.

- I need to create/adapt programs, which fits my teaching style, and helps one child with learning issues.

- Like using the WTM history/science cycles -- but as LOOSE, general structure.

6. CURRENT METHODS/MATERIALS?

Methods:

Eclectic mix, loosely based on WTM structure/ideas.

Materials:

Some high school textbooks; LOTS of great lit. and discussions; experiments and field trips.

7. BOOKS, IDEAS, SHAPED YOUR HOMESCHOOLING?

- Well Trained Mind -- book and forums.

- Rainbow Resource Catalog -- great reviews exposed me to some programs that fit our needs very well.

- Specific curriculum recommendations from homeschooling friends.

- Reading good lit. -- book lists from Sonlight, Ambleside, 1000 Good Books, Veritas Press, Greenleaf Press, etc.

- Worldview Academy -- see the benefits of thinking well.

8. MOST CHALLENGING ASPECT?

- Dealing with children's attitudes.

- Keeping up with grading.

9. WHAT ASPECT COMES NATURALLY?

- Researching materials and programs.

- Actual teaching, adapting, discussing.

10. FAVORITE MEMORIES?

- Seeing face of the child with learning issues light up when he realized he could actually read!

- Snuggling up on the couch together for read alouds.

- Praying together through rough moments in math -- and seeing answered prayer!

- Field trip in which homeschool group dressed up and got to have pioneer school in an 1870s school house.

- Getting to take wonderful family vacations "off-season" and have real quality time together.

11. BEST ADVICE YOU RECEIVED?

- "Home schooling is first about YOUR sanctification." (Debra Bell, speaker at my first homeschool convention)

- "Hold on till they're 14yo; they'll finally start to mentally mature and a lot of those issues will ease then." (homeschooling friend's advice re: boys with learning issues)

- "You can't do everything. And by high school you have so little time left, so PRAY, prioritize and make sure you develop deep relationship with your teen and prepare them with life skills. The academics will happen." (Mary Schofield, speaker at most recent homeschool convention)

- "Relax and enjoy them while they're young; time flies." (numerous people at numerous times)

12. ADVICE YOU'D GIVE NEW HOMESCHOOLERS?

See #11 above. : )

I'm in no position to answer any of these questions. I just want to say to all of you:

2.gif

And thanks so much for all the helpful info! I am so thankful for this board!

This is my second year with my ds 5 and my first year with my ds9

Both. LOL With my oldest, it was an event. With my youngest, it was his personality that lent itself so well to homeschooling. My little was just a perfect "fit."

Were you homeschooled?

No.

No. And they all think I am nuts.

For Pre-school, we did workbooks from Wal-mart for letters, watched Leap Frog DVDs, played letter games, read books, etc.

For both kids this year, we started out with Calvert K and Calvert 4 and totally dropped them after about 8 weeks. Now I do my own thing and we are all enjoying it much better!

See Signature.

TWTM, Cathy Duffy's Top Picks, Ultimate Guide to Homeschooling, Homeschooling on a Shoestring, Homeschooling, The Early Years.

Adjusting. Learning how the kids learn best, how I teach best, how we can work together, what totally doesn't work for us.

Scheduling. I was amazed at how easy it was for me to schedule and plan their days when at first I was terrified of just that (hence the Calvert purchase). Now I am totally confident and like my schedule SO MUCH BETTER than anything else I have found.

The days we spend at co-op classes and with a friend in the park, our special trips to McDonalds in the middle of the day, making crafts together, seeing my kids totally "get" something...

The first year is rough...don't sweat it.

Don't let curriculum choices drive you bonkers. It will all fall into place, but chances are, you will spend lots of time and $$$ that first year before they do! Just be prepared and don't try to be perfect right out of the gate.

We've been homeschooling for about 10 years. I started when my daughter was in preschool and taught her through to an accelerated high school diploma. My son is now 10 and working on more or less a middle school level.

We decided to try homeschooling on a trial basis as a result of our daughter's experiences in preschool. We realized that we could never put her in a regular public school, and we couldn't afford the one or two private schools that might have worked for her.

Were you homeschooled?

No. I'd never even heard of homeschooling until after our daughter was born.

No.

I went to the closest educational supply store and bought a "complete kindergarten curriculum" workbook. We sat at the kitchen table for about an hour three or four days a week and worked through that. We also read books, listened to music, etc.

Our own loose intepretation of TWTM approach. The specific materials are in my signature line.

Oh, I've read about pretty much every approach. I'm kind of an education junkie. Then it all just goes into the mixer and comes out as what works for us. Early on, my husband and I identified three goals that we hoped to achieve. We wanted our kids to have a rigorous, broad-based education that provided familiarity with the big ideas and major themes of history, science, literature, etc. We wanted them to know how to find information and educate themselves for their whole lives. We wanted them to be able to think for themselves. When I read TWTM for the first time, I recognized those goals in the classical approach.

The day-to-day being here and staying on track part is the hardest thing for me. I get bored and irritable and sometimes really tired of being "on" all the time. Especially when one of the kids is going through a rough patch (what we call an "emotional growth spurt," for example), I sometimes find it really draining to be both mom and teacher.

The actual, hands-on teaching comes naturally to me. I've been hanging around and flirting with education pretty much as long as I've been alive. I was a natural student, and I think I'm a natural teacher. And the research and curriculum planning and all that stuff is not only easy but downright fun.

I love remembering the many afternoons spent cuddling on couches and beds and reading aloud.

I'm not sure what it says about me, but I can't think of any advice that was really meaningful. I've certainly gotten help here and in other online communities with specific challenges, but in terms of most of the "big things," I think I've had to kind of find my own way.

Figure out what works for you and your children, rather than getting tied up in one, specific "method." I firmly believe that finding an approach that is comfortable for you will always result in a better education for your kids (not to mention a happier family) than trying to squeeze into a box someone else designed.

I began homeschooling my older son in second grade and schooled him through ninth grade, when he elected to enter a private school. He is now a junior there. I began homeschooling my younger son in first grade and still homeschool him. He is a fifth grader this year. I have been hsing for 10 years now.

I did not know what hsing was until I moved to Kentucky, where I began to hear about it (I don't recall where, exactly). We enrolled my older son in a private school and were very unhappy with it. I couldn't get him into another that was recommended, so we started as a stop-gap measure, then decided it was a better way to go and kept doing it.

Were you homeschooled?

No. I had never heard of it until I moved here.

No one of whom I'm aware.

I didn't know about WTM, which was just newly out then, I believe. I didn't know about using the computer much yet, either. I used our local parent-teacher store for workbook supplies, posters, etc.; Hirsch's What Your ______ Grader Needs to Know for guidelines; and loads of library books for our reading.

I had found Usborne's World History book and was already using that as a spine (although I did not yet know that term). I was already linking my literature to our history studies. I had already started with biology as our first science studies. So when I did hear about WTM and check it out, it fit so perfectly with the things I was already doing that I picked it up.

I sorta follow WTM ideas; I tend to look for what I would term "living books" (although definitions on this vary) and stick to shorter time periods for subjects, especially in lower grades, ala Charlotte Mason. I use a lot of WTM recs, such as Spelling Workout, Abeka (old rec), Singapore (newer rec), FLL (with younger son), SOTW (w/ younger son), Kingfisher, etc. I use WTM ideas for science studies.

As I mentioned, the Hirsch books; Charlotte Mason's work and the work of others dealing with her ideas; all the WTM books. I've read lots of others, too. For high school level work, I really relied upon Cafi Cohen's books and Inge Cannon's lectures. My older son began doing high school level work when he was officially a seventh grader, age wise.

Hmmmmm, I guess trying to keep it fresh and challenging, especially as I go through it all a second time. Children are so very different that you really can't exactly ever repeat what you do as you need to tailor to the individual child.

Scheduling. I'm great at putting together a detailed plan.

Probably all the field trips, LOL! Another mom I know looked at me the other day and said, "I'm just here for the field trips." I couldn't agree more. We've gotten to see so many neat things and meet so many neat people. It's been great.

When my older son was little, we were in a group that help many competitions such as spelling bees, Young Authors programming, geography bees, etc. and those were fun. They also had a graduation night at the end of the year where children could bring some of their projects and work, etc. to display and that was neat.

My younger son is really beginning to become more interested now in the work we do than my older son ever was, and that's also proving very rewarding for me.

I was able to transfer high school credits for my older son to the private school he entered and his GPA with them is still exactly the same as it was with me. That's satisfying.

School at home. You can do it and it's probably better for most boys.

You can do it and it's probably better for most children, especially boys.

How long and for what grades have you homeschooled? This is my eight school year. I started when oldest dd was a few months into kindergarten and she is in seventh grade now.

Did you know from the start you would homeschool or did some event point you down this road? We started because we couldn't find a school to suit our dd's needs. Within a few years, homeschooling became just a part of a larger life shift.

Were you homeschooled? No, but I was definitely what people now call "afterschooled." My parents parented with an interest in education, and I learned as much at home as at school.

Does anyone in your extended family homeschool? No. Not even close.

What method and materials did you use your first year of homeschooling? I wrote everything from scratch (we had no money to buy anything.) The first curriculum I ever purchased was Horizons Math 1. That was the only purchased curriculum I used the second year. It was easy to create my own with only one schooling. :)

What method and materials are you currently using?Definitely classical. I pull from many different resources, but some of our major curriculum are R&S English and BJU Math. My oldest started many new things this year: Starting Points, Foerster's Algebra, Introductory Logic, Latin in the Christian Trivium, etc.

What books, ideas, etc. have helped shape your homeschool? The Well-Trained Mind was the first homeschool book I ever read. (I feel blessed to have discovered classical ed right from the start.) Books that have shaped our homeschool include Teaching the Trivium, Climbing Parnassus, Charlotte Mason's series, all manner of non-classical homeschool books, When You Rise Up, and Douglas Wilsons' books. The Veritas Press teacher training materials, as well as tapes and writings from CiRCE have also been influential.

What has been the most challenging aspect for you? Finding other homeschoolers IRL who share our family's view of education.

What aspect has come naturally for you? Teaching. Training a love of learning.

What are your favorite homeschool memories thus far? Not one specific memory, but my favorite thing is that my dc and I have so many common memories. We have a family "culture" that bonds us, because we have spent so much time learning together.

What is the best advice you've been given? Honestly, the best thing I've done is to not listen to most of the advice I've been given. We follow our own path instead.

What advice do you give others just starting this journey? If they are starting out with young children, I tell them to carefully consider the habits they are establishing. Things that seem harmless in a a young child can be bad school habits later.

How long and for what grades have you homeschooled? We have been homeschooling for right at 3 years. We started when DS was in 3rd and DD was in 2nd. They are now in 6th and 5th. (we started mid-year)

Did you know from the start you would homeschool or did some event point you down this road? No. We knew that we did not want public school and thought that private, Christian school was the answer. However, my son's Asperger's made things difficult, so we brought him home. And, since we are a family that does things together, we brought DD home as well.

Were you homeschooled? no

Does anyone in your extended family homeschool? no

What method and materials did you use your first year of homeschooling? I read TWTM and followed that as closely as I could. SOTW, R&S English, Abeka math, WTM science plan

What method and materials are you currently using? I follow more of a CM method now. You can see our curriculum in my sig line.

What books, ideas, etc. have helped shape your homeschool? TWTM, A Charlotte Mason Companion, other CM books

What has been the most challenging aspect for you? staying on a schedule. This whole adventure has really challenged me to deal with my own ADD nature.

What aspect has come naturally for you? encouraging a love of good books

What are your favorite homeschool memories thus far? nothing specific, just being together, with the freedom to be a family first, a school second

What is the best advice you've been given? I'll have to think about that.

What advice do you give others just starting this journey? Don't worry so much about what everybody else is doing. Figure out what is best for your family.

First year home (cyber charter) with my 10yo.

Second year home (first year without cyber charter) with my 6yo.

Second year home with my 5yo, if you count "light" preschool-at-home.

Never would have guessed it in a million years!

Were you homeschooled?

Nope.

No. Most of my extended family is composed of ps teachers. Some (mostly long-timers) think we're spot on. Some think we're stupid.

Cyber charter curriculum, Edhelper and Time4learning websites, HOP, Leapfrog videos and games, and lots of learning through story time and play. That was our pre-k/K year for the girls.

Cyber charter for the oldest, with a few logic supplements, SOTW, and we're still hoping to figure out where to squeeze in Latin.

With the girls, I consider it relaxed Classical. Lots of reading, Saxon math, SOTW, light science topics, and a very heavy focus on (mostly verbal) grammar/communication.

TWTM, definitely. Alphie Kohn helped to pique my interest. Anything written on the failures of gifted/special ed in public schools, along with the 5 years of having my son in ps.

I've shaped things based on what I don't like about ps.

Setting routines when 3 kids have various outside activities and the toddler has strange nap preferences.

Seeing evidence of learning without paper proof, and realizing that it counts!

Watching the many "lightbulb moments" I might have otherwise missed.

Chill. Out. :D

Chill. Out. :D:D