Menu

How long could you stay busy with the craft supplies you have stashed?

Hannah

I've been moving my craft things - beads, fabrics, yarns, paints and other supplies into the shelves in one room.  I knew I had a lot of stuff around the house, but seeing it all together is quite something.  At the moment I craft one or two weekend days per month for a few hours each, but I could probably stay busy every day for about six months with what I've got stashed!  And that's not counting the unfinished tapestries I inherited from my mother-in-law! 

How long could you stay busy with the the craft supplies you have stashed?

Edited by Hannah
  • Like 2

I inherited a friend’s stash.  I have no clue what I have beyond an incredible amount of yarn.  We loved to go to yarn shops together so I know I have more of things I know I have in the original stash.  I could knit for years. So much and not knowing is really paralyzing and I haven’t knitted anything since it arrived over a year ago.  I need to do a sort but don’t honestly know how to start it.  Everything is in big Rubbermaid bins.....hubby tossed it in bins, so whatever organization there was is gone completely.

My fabric stash is pretty heathy too!  That I am working on but I keep buying too!

• Like 3

Such a long time, lol. Years without buying anything but adhesive.

And I may get some more soon from m-I-l, who is downsizing. I'm kind of at max capacity, so I'll then get rid of some of MY stuff (bc she has better stuff). 

Mine is mostly stuff for scrapbooking and cards, maybe 20% other stuff. I did just give my mom and aunt a bunch of acrylic paint that I used to keep on hand for school and random projects. Alas, no more kids to do random craft projects . . . 

• Like 4

Oh man. Years and years. Probably the rest of my life. Just the yarn alone...I already have several projects planned out, two actively on my looms, a bit less than half the squares knitted for a Ginny Weasley quilt...and that’s not even mentioning the other tons of yarn I have for no specific purpose (some gifted to me) or for a vague purpose I may eventually do “someday.” 

I also do a scrapbooking class with co-op and have gobs of materials for that....plus, people do now gift me scrapbook materials as they decluter because of the classes. And I do the craft day activity for our co-op and have tubs and tubs of materials for this year’s, as well as previous years, projects. 

Also beading, sewing (though not a big stash for that), drawing and coloring, painting and cross-stitch. Plus instruction books and patterns for all of those things. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Annie G said:

I’m a quilter and though I have a small stash compared to my buddies, I could still go 12-18 months with just what I have on hand.  I sew multiple times a week. 

I could probably go 18-24 months, sewing a couple of times a week.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Carol in Cal. said:

So much yarn.  So much.

Other stuff, too, but especially yarn.

Yes, I “cleverly” spread it around my house so it doesn’t seem quite so ridiculous. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, TechWife said:

I could probably go 18-24 months, sewing a couple of times a week.

I love slow stitching. I love tiny pieces and detailed quilts. Lots of people churn out a ton of quilts while I’m still working on one, and there’s nothing wrong with either way, but slow stitching just centers me and calms me. So I don’t need a ton of fabric to get me through a year. 

• Like 4

A while, but I try to keep it tamed and make a plan for how to get rid of stuff. We moved to a bigger house, but I do prefer that it fit in a certain area, so that helps a lot!

I have some denim that needs a plan--it was going to be rag rugs for my boys, and now I am not so sure. It's all old jeans and such, but it's taking up too much room.

Christmas fabric and ribbon--my family is trying to transition to reusable bags vs. paper. If I had a day to square up fabric and pin things, I could do this for a week solid. Cross-stitch--I could make a few big projects or many little ones--I am trying to embrace single color patterns for now and make decorations for my Christmas bags that are planned. I have weeks and weeks worth if I did it solidly. Yarn is more moderate, but if I have a fancy project, it would last a while (I'm not fast when I'm doing something unfamiliar). I have a lot of scrapbooking stuff because I have long-term albums started but not finished. I also have some card-making supplies, and that is something I am not intuitive with--I need a consultant to make stuff, lol!

Whatever organization I had for actually getting crafts finished has totally been absorbed by homeschooling, unfortunately. I would really like to craft more for relaxation, but I'd have to spend a lot of time planning a few hole-in-one projects to make it feel like a hobby instead of just another thing to do.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Heatherwith4 said:

I could stay busy for quite a while with just my yarn and adult coloring books.  

A couple weeks ago, on Live PD, a couple got pulled over and when the officer asked where they were going, they said a sex toy shop to get adult coloring books for the woman.

Now, I understand what YOU mean by adult coloring books...But what SHE meant was pictures that were assumedly (is that a word) so graphic that most had to be blurred out.

Except for the word art picture. The word was AN@L.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 2

19 minutes ago, Annie G said:

I love slow stitching. I love tiny pieces and detailed quilts. Lots of people churn out a ton of quilts while I’m still working on one, and there’s nothing wrong with either way, but slow stitching just centers me and calms me. So I don’t need a ton of fabric to get me through a year. 

I'm about halfway thorough a Dear Jane quilt - I'm using my machine, though. Thousands upon thousands of tiny pieces, sometimes it feels like I'll never finish, but I just keep working one block at a time.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, TechWife said:

I'm about halfway thorough a Dear Jane quilt - I'm using my machine, though. Thousands upon thousands of tiny pieces, sometimes it feels like I'll never finish, but I just keep working one block at a time.

I’ve thought about doing that and saw it as a block of the month and there’s no way I could keep up with it. I’m quite sure it would take more than a year for me to do that, and I hate getting behind on BOM.  

I can’t imagine hand piecing a Dear Jane but I know a lot of people do. Beyond my hand piecing skills!  

• Like 3

In theory? Weeks. In reality? I’d probably need “one thing” from the store to complete any given project. I also have several pieces of music that need choreography.

ETA: I’m not a supply hoarder, but I have the stuff to make Roman shades and lots of costumes that could use some hand mending, and about 4 socks’ worth of yarn. 

Edited by KungFuPanda
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, TechWife said:

That’s such a beautiful quilt.  I do a lot of hand piecing but am shifting to doing more machine quilting. I think I am going to try Bonnie Hunter’s Good Fortune QAL so will definitely need to bit more orange shades in my stash.  I seem to always be short a half yard of this or that which adds to the stash.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Annie G said:

I feel the same about certain types of knitting projects. I love to pick a special stitch pattern that produces an outstanding result. Of course I also have my share of “mindless” knitting, but I get a lot of satisfaction out of turning out a finely-crafted piece. 

My dad used to do cross-stitch. He was an extremely meticulous cross stitcher and chose intricate, glorious patterns. At one point he was making a set of carousel horses art work; one for each of his four daughters. He completed my sister’s and got fairly far into mine. Then one of my sisters died, which I think impacted his feelings on never being able to complete the set. Then neuropathy and vision problems from diabetes made an impact; as far as I know, he no longer has plans to complete them. ? I have considered asking for mine so I can complete it in his stead, but it feels heartless or lousy in some way, as if I just want the piece of art. Of course, it would not be that alone; it would be the meaning behind the part he did complete. But I worry it is too easily misunderstood in a hurtful manner. 

Edited by Quill
Added in a link to the designs
  • Like 6

54 minutes ago, Quill said:

I feel the same about certain types of knitting projects. I love to pick a special stitch pattern that produces an outstanding result. Of course I also have my share of “mindless” knitting, but I get a lot of satisfaction out of turning out a finely-crafted piece. 

My dad used to do cross-stitch. He was an extremely meticulous cross stitcher and chose intricate, glorious patterns. At one point he was making a set of carousel horses art work; one for each of his four daughters. He completed my sister’s and got fairly far into mine. Then one of my sisters died, which I think impacted his feelings on never being able to complete the set. Then neuropathy and vision problems from diabetes made an impact; as far as I know, he no longer has plans to complete them. ? I have considered asking for mine so I can complete it in his stead, but it feels heartless or lousy in some way, as if I just want the piece of art. Of course, it would not be that alone; it would be the meaning behind the part he did complete. But I worry it is too easily misunderstood in a hurtful manner. 

Hugs, I am sorry your sister died. That set is really lovely but I can see how a parent would need to quit.  I never finished the cross stitch I had with me in the hospital when I was in while pregnant and that was a happy ending.  The sweater I worked on while sitting by my dad’s bedside is unfinished, I would never wear it and it was for me.  That is almost 22 years tucked in a box.......needing about 3 inches on a sleeve.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, theelfqueen said:

I could scrapbook a very long time... except I'd need adhesive and to print photos... probably a decade or more...

This is me too!  Plus...I could cross-stitch for a long time with the patterns and aida cloth I have.  I might need to buy more DNC thread at some point, but I have a ton.  I have a few other odds and ends crafts, but I got rid of most everything except scrapbook and cross-stitch supplies.  I also have some wire wreath frames and fabric to make cute wreaths someday -- LOL.  

I also have a lot of various types of paints, pens, colored pencils, art paper, canvases, etc. from art time with the kids.  Too much!  

• Like 2