Menu

Help me pick a color for my sunroom

PrincessMommy

The previous owner really loved dark and dull colors.  I don't mind color, but her choices were dull - like mustard yellow rather than a sunny bright yellow.  I like something a little cheerier.     In my sunroom she picked a very dark forest green for the walls and a depressing yellow for the cathedral part.  Might have worked well in a very sunny sunroom, but we're surrounded by trees so, we get defused light and the room is dark.   I'd like to do either a seafoam green or a light blue of some kind on the walls and deal with the cathedral part later (with professionals).   What does the hive suggest?

I'll try to attach photos 

20180919_074815 (1).jpg

20180919_074802.jpg

White or very light beige on the walls. Later on a light bright color on the ceiling.  We live in dark tree shady Pacific NW and have one all white room which is remarkably cheerful and sun reflecting. Most other colors, in shady conditions, end up looking darker than they are. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, milovany said:

Lovely room!  This is one of Patty Joanna's favorite color recommendations:  Palladian Blue. She says it can appear to be more bluish or more greenish, depending on time of day / light.  I have it bookmarked in case I can find a room in which to use it.  

That’s the color of my family room.

Another color that I like is Sea Salt by Sherwin Williams.  I tagged you in it on Facebook: )

eta:  would you consider painting the beams and brick and ceiling white and the walls a color?

Edited by school17777
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, school17777 said:

That’s the color of my family room.

Another color that I like is Sea Salt by Sherwin Williams.  I tagged you in it on Facebook: )

eta:  would you consider painting the beams and brick and ceiling white and the walls a color?

perhaps at a later date for the beams.  The beams are very imposing.   Someday, I'd like to figure out a different way to old up the ceiling (if possible).  They take up a lot of needed space in the corners.  If we do the ceiling, I will get professionals as it goes quite high up.   I hate painting ceilings anyway and this would be quite the chore.  Fortunately, the yellow isn't too garish and will go with many different choices.   Right now I'm taking advantage of the bare floor and working on the walls before installation. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, milovany said:

Lovely room!  This is one of Patty Joanna's favorite color recommendations:  Palladian Blue. She says it can appear to be more bluish or more greenish, depending on time of day / light.  I have it bookmarked in case I can find a room in which to use it.  

This was exactly the color I had in mind when I saw the room.  Now I know a name for it!

Try taking your paint chips to a nursery and see what colors you prefer to be the background for plants.  It would be a crime not to load that room with plants.  I have sea salt in my dining room.  It's a fun color that changes with the weather/light. It's probably a poor choice for control freaks, but if you're indecisive or enjoy change it can be a good, very light fit.

ETA:  Sea Salt does not photograph accurately.  You'll only know how you like it once you paint your entire room and live with it a while.  I know this isn't the best system.

Edited by KungFuPanda
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lady Marmalade said:

Oh wow, that is a gorgeous room!  I agree with others, I think the Palladian Blue would be amazing in place of the green.  It will give it a beachy feel without being cloying. 

What are you doing for new flooring?

I don't really like the beach look,.  I prefer a farmhouse look.  For the floor,  I'm looking at either ceramic tile or luxury vinyl planks that look like wood.  Something like this:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Shaw-Pinebrooke-Direct-Glue-9-in-x-59-in-Cottage-Resilient-Vinyl-Plank-Flooring-22-12-sq-ft-case-HD84200623/303455226?MERCH=REC-_-PIPHorizontal1_rr-_-303451046-_-303455226-_-N

or this:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/MARAZZI-Montagna-Rustic-Bay-6-in-x-24-in-Glazed-Porcelain-Floor-and-Wall-Tile-14-53-sq-ft-case-ULM8/204485224

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Patty Joanna said:

I like a soft yellow in sunroomy places.  The color that works for that effect is more of a peach than a yellow—but nobody ever walks in and says Love the peach!   It just looks soft yellow.  That ceiling is just going to be oppressive no matter what at this point, and peach might not “go” with it.  Maybe a creamy color would call attention to itself less, while you find time to get the ceiling done.   And when THAT happens, you might think about pickling the beams—lightening but not painting—if the wood is interesting, as it often is in old houses.  That would “lift” the ceiling but keep a farmhouse character.  

Funny tangent: several years ago, dh and I painted the family room, which was a greyish beige, light sage green. My SIL said, “Oh, I love the paint job! I love grey!” I was just like - ? I grant you, it didn’t scream “green,” but it was much greener than prior! It was as if she was saying, “Love the paint job, but what I like more is the color it used to be!” ? (Maybe that is what she meant.) 

• 3 months later...
On September 19, 2018 at 9:10 AM, milovany said:

Oh that's a beautiful color! It's what I imagined as soon as she said sunroom, but didn't know a name for it.

I have some painting to do and this would be perfect in my house as a refresher...:)

I love that Hawthorn yellow!  I may try it elsewhere in my house.  We're about to start work on the kitchen. 

The Sunroom is mostly done  🙄  I ended up not going with Palladian blue because I couldn't get a proper sample. I found something similar with Behr called Moon Glass.  It's a tad too beachy for me, but I've tried decorating in a way that is more farmhouse looking.  I also added a tan accent wall on the brick.  

Then we ran into some other delays... ugh.  After I finished the walls I discovered that the ceiling paint really couldn't wait.  It looked awful together.  I had so much trouble finding someone to do the 17ft ceiling that wouldn't break the budget.  Some wouldn't even consider it.  So after a few weeks of talking with contractors,  I ended up renting scaffolding and doing it myself.  Let me tell you, it was very scary getting up there the first few times, but by the end of the week I was a pro.  It gave me a real sense of accomplishment.    Then, after we put in the floors we were putting the baseboards back the hammer went through the wall!!  We discovered a large area damaged by water rot and termites.!!  We were thankful that window didn't fall out.  So that was another couple of weeks hiring a professional to come fix that.  I still haven't done the touch-up where the drywall was replaced.  It was the end of the semester for me, then Christmas - so nothing's been done.  We're still working to get a gas fireplace put in there to.  Everything takes SO long.  I cannot believe how long it takes for contractors to get back to me.  It's been very frustrating. 

here's some pictures.  Hopefully, they're not too large.   It's kind of a cloudy day and the room is messy .  But I think you get an idea of the change.

20190104_114637.jpg

20190104_115046.jpg

20190104_114344.jpg

Edited by PrincessMommy
  • Like 12

Just now, school17777 said:

Looks great!  @PrincessMommy

Will you be able to use it when/if we get real winter weather?

technically we can use it now.  We have electric baseboard heat.  And we bring in a second heater.  Both together make a difference.  But, it takes a while to warm it up, so for just me on normal days it isn't worth it.  I can't wait to have a gas stove in there. 

• Like 1

I like Sherwin Williams Sea Salt too.

If I was going to choose something I'd choose a sunny yellow like Benjamin Moore Cream Yellow (the swatch SO doesn't do it justice!) 2155-60.jpg

Or a barely yellow called Cream Froth: https://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/color-overview/find-your-color/color/OC-97/cream-froth?color=OC-97

ETA: I'd paint the walls/ceiling the cream yellow, the trim the cream froth, and the door to the main house or some objects in the room Sea Foam.

Edited by Katy
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Lady Marmalade said:

I'm not sure I believe you.  😉 Maybe a picture would help convince me.  😄

LOL!!  Here it is.. it's fairly vanilla treehouse(fort??).  Oh and I don't know why I didn't catch this typo but it was my YOUNGEST son who helped.  My oldest is married and lives in another state! 

They've considered putting in another lower tier and I'd like to paint it wild, bright colors someday.  It's funny (or annoying) how it got built. If you can stand to listen to me moan.  When we first started looking for a new house my vision was to build a cool play area, such as a pirate ship or castle.... on the ground... for the grands.  Well, somehow that turned into a treefort, which is a tad too high up and not nearly as inviting for the grands at this point.  Sigh.  It was a nice project for dh and son to work together on.

20190105_115759.jpg

• Like 3

I love those colors and your flooring. We have similar colors and similar flooring in our home, and we've found it's easy to find accent colors. 🙂 Our beige/brown is lighter, but with all those windows (we have a lot less light), I love your darker version on the accent wall.  

We painted our sunroom Sherwin William's Ivorie. It looks pretty bland on the swatch, but appears a very light yellow in the room. In the daylight, it's a brighter yellow, and in the evening more of a cream. I too was looking to brighten it up without it being too "yellowy" or overly bright. While sometimes I wish I would've gone a little darker, this is a very nuetral yellowish color without really being yellow. If you'd like me to snap a few pics, I'd be happy too. Just send me a pm.

Guest Samuelbr98

We seem to be on the same hunt with you. I recently purchased a new home with an awesome sunroom attached (it needs to be refreshed with painting ). I am assuming it is a 3 season sunroom based on reading about them. I plan to get the roof replaced ( found some info on https://www.royalcovers.com/arizona-rooms-patio-enclosures-sunrooms/ ). It has natural hardwood floors and I am considering going for a dark color. It would attract the warmth from the sun in the winter.