Menu

I’m thinking of going with only swim shorts for swimming/beachwear

Ginevra

<Insert hysterical laughter from some reader(s) who have not worn a regular woman’s swimsuit in decades>

But for real, since I have had swim shorts and swim skirts as *one option* of my beachwear for years, but have never given up on regular ladies’ swim bottoms altogether, I’m really wondering why I don’t just go with board shorts entirely. I mean, I love them. No need to wonder if the hair maintenance situation is up to snuff. No need to sit or bend or whatever carefully in order to be certain everything is contained. One less area to be bothered my veins are prominent. Less sunscreen, even. I’m thinking of something like this and calling swimwear good: https://www.landsend.com/products/womens-9-board-shorts/id_294961

What do you think? 

• Like 2

I was trying to figure out if you meant topless, lol.

I wear swim shorts but I like having the ladies swim bottoms underneath. I wear guy dept. swim shorts to get them longer, and I cut out the funky mesh stuff. You don't want anyone seeing up your legs. But maybe ladies dept shorts have a liner that fits properly so you won't need an under layer?

Definitely go for it. Once you get used to having the shorts, you'll sort of wonder why women are pigeon-holed into less. 

Adding: I'm seeing the LE ones have options with panties and can come in a long. Cool.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I dislike swimming or even just being outside in the summer with every fiber of my being, so take my opinion FWIW --

Years ago when the boys were young and it was more or less a necessity to take them to the pool occasionally in the summer I wore swim shorts and a rash guard. I did not give one hoot how it looked. I hated being out there so I figured the least I owed myself was to be as comfortable as possible, to be able to move in a normal manner, to not feel self-conscious and in general to not have to deal with the absolute ridiculousness of what passes for women's swimsuits.

So I say go for it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Another Lynn said:

I think you should still wear a top.  :biggrin:

Why? Men don’t.

KIDDING! Remember, going for less of everything exposed! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

I was trying to figure out if you meant topless, lol.

I wear swim shorts but I like having the ladies swim bottoms underneath. I wear guy dept. swim shorts to get them longer, and I cut out the funky mesh stuff. You don't want anyone seeing up your legs. But maybe ladies dept shorts have a liner that fits properly so you won't need an under layer?

Definitely go for it. Once you get used to having the shorts, you'll sort of wonder why women are pigeon-holed into less. 

Adding: I'm seeing the LE ones have options with panties and can come in a long. Cool.

This is part of my thinking. In my area of the world, the vast majority of men and women disdain men in Speedo-type swimwear, except for swim athletes. (Sometimes even then.) So why is the default bottom for women cut in the same manner? 

I don’t know thousands of women my age who are eager to wear something equating to underwear in public. 

• Like 4

I've been wearing swim shorts for years, except for one skirted one piece I have.  

Separates fit me better since I"m definitely bottom heavy and I love the short styles.  Mine fit like regular swim bottoms but longer and most of my tops reach to around my hips.  Much more comfortable on sandy beaches, while kayaking, etc.

• Like 1

I think you'd still want something between you and the shorts, unless the shorts are made out of swimsuit material.  I buy Lands End separates, a tankini top, high waisted bikini bottom (really smooths everything out!) and their swim shorts.  I used to wear the longest length (9" I think?) but recently went for the 3" length because the long was so frumpy on me.  The shorts do come with attached panty IF you want them, but I feel like that would just contribute to bulges.  Anyways, yay Lands End for allowing me to buy a smaller size on top and larger on bottom!!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, heartlikealion said:

Those shorts are awesome. I have a pair (same color) that are shorter and because they aren't form fitting enough I learned the hard way that they float up in the water! I was like ahhh nooooo. I was tugging on them and super self-conscious. The pair I really liked that stayed put got lost. I didn't know any longer versions existed. 

I have had that happen with swim skirts and I really dislike that. It is part of the reason I don’t want the skirt. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

I dislike swimming or even just being outside in the summer with every fiber of my being, so take my opinion FWIW --

Years ago when the boys were young and it was more or less a necessity to take them to the pool occasionally in the summer I wore swim shorts and a rash guard. I did not give one hoot how it looked. I hated being out there so I figured the least I owed myself was to be as comfortable as possible, to be able to move in a normal manner, to not feel self-conscious and in general to not have to deal with the absolute ridiculousness of what passes for women's swimsuits.

So I say go for it.

Question: if you wear a rashgard as your top, do you wear a regular bra, or what do you do about this part of the body. I am considering getting a rashguard top as well, but I don’t want to still require a bathing suit top; that’s too bulky. 

17 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

Where did you find these?

I have a pair of these (UV rated to 50) (< $30 on amazon) https://www.amazon.com/Private-Island-Hawaii-Leggings-Clothing/dp/B07C92HTG5/ref=pd_cp_193_1?_encoding=UTF8&amp;pd_rd_i=B07C92HTG5&amp;pd_rd_r=46be794a-5d1e-11e8-bdf2-e52417bf1557&amp;pd_rd_w=uFcLI&amp;pd_rd_wg=pKDSc&amp;pf_rd_i=desktop-dp-sims&amp;pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&amp;pf_rd_p=80460301815383741&amp;pf_rd_r=HT9T9WKJEQJS0GTB447M&amp;pf_rd_s=desktop-dp-sims&amp;pf_rd_t=40701&amp;refRID=HT9T9WKJEQJS0GTB447M

I also have some things from Coolibar. https://www.coolibar.com/uv-swimwear/womens-swimwear/shorts-tights-skirts.html  

I prefer my capris to my ankle length tights for every day swim, but when I'm at the beach, if I'm out all day, I need the swim tights. I also wear fully long-sleeved rash guards and a huge hat.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Quill said:

Question: if you wear a rashgard as your top, do you wear a regular bra, or what do you do about this part of the body. I am considering getting a rashguard top as well, but I don’t want to still require a bathing suit top; that’s too bulky. 

I used an inexpensive sports bra from Walmart. Something like the Fruit of the Looms that come in a three pack for about $10. To my way of thinking they were just about the same thing as a shelf bra in a swimsuit--thin, not a lot of support, relatively fast drying.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Quill said:

<Insert hysterical laughter from some reader(s) who have not worn a regular woman’s swimsuit in decades>

But for real, since I have had swim shorts and swim skirts as *one option* of my beachwear for years, but have never given up on regular ladies’ swim bottoms altogether, I’m really wondering why I don’t just go with board shorts entirely. I mean, I love them. No need to wonder if the hair maintenance situation is up to snuff. No need to sit or bend or whatever carefully in order to be certain everything is contained. One less area to be bothered my veins are prominent. Less sunscreen, even. I’m thinking of something like this and calling swimwear good: https://www.landsend.com/products/womens-9-board-shorts/id_294961

What do you think? 

I have these with the built in panty and I will never wear any other swim bottoms ever again amen!

The only problem is picking a color you really like and finding just the right top in just the right fabric that goes well with them. They do drip water more than a regular swimsuit but not as much as a swim skirt (I hate those).

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

How see-thru are they actually?  I see in a few of the pictures you can actually see a swimsuit print underneath the panty area. 

I never thought of swim capris! I love the idea. I wear capris exclusively as my summer attire- I have bad varicose veins on my legs, so I haven't even worn shorts for years.  My swim solution is to wear a swimsuit with a sari tied around my waist, but then I have to take the sari off when I'm actually IN the water. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Quill said:

21 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

I used an inexpensive sports bra from Walmart. Something like the Fruit of the Looms that come in a three pack for about $10. To my way of thinking they were just about the same thing as a shelf bra in a swimsuit--thin, not a lot of support, relatively fast drying.

17 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

I wear a synthetic fabric sports bra under my rash guard. I need more support so I wear a high impact pullover one.  It dries really quickly.

I have the same swim shorts, or something very similar, from Lands End with the built-in panty and love them.   The shorts with a rashguard type shirt are all I ever wear anymore at the beach, partially because my DH has had a melanoma diagnosis, partially because we live in Florida where we're exposed to LOTS of sunshine, and partially because it means a whole lot less sunscreen to apply.   

I wear a sports bra underneath the rashguard shirt.   No way could I get away with nothing.   A bikini top could also work - that is what my DD does sometimes.

• Like 4

The amazon capris I own are solid black, and not see through at all. They have a weight similar to that of a yoga pant. 

I own Coolibar stuff in turquoise and black (various items). I haven't had any issues with those, but I can't speak as to lighter colored items. My long sleeved rash guards do show bra lines. My coverups from Coolibar don't, really. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

SebastianCat raises a good point--we were going through $75-90 in sunscreen a month....buying UV rated clothing does have some hidden savings.  We were able to cut back on sunscreen use by a LOT. 

Even men in our house do not go naked on top when outside in the pool.

They are all reluctant to apply sunscreen often enough. But if wearing sufficient clothing, there are less spots needing sunscreen and so the job is done faster.

• Like 1

Loves those shorts! I need new stuff as mine is well worn I may buy those. 

As a funny aside. I currently use swim skirt and rash guard top. Dh and ds wear rash guard top. When we were vacationing in Europe our hotel asked us to not wear clothes in the pool. We said these were our swimwear. Yeah I am not comfortable in Speedos!

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, lolo said:

As a funny aside. I currently use swim skirt and rash guard top. Dh and ds wear rash guard top. When we were vacationing in Europe our hotel asked us to not wear clothes in the pool. We said these were our swimwear. Yeah I am not comfortable in Speedos!

This is the downside. Pools get confused and think you are wearing clothes sometimes.

• Like 1

I already have those shorts in black and navy. That was all they carried the past few years. Now, thanks to this thread, I also ordered them in the new boysenberry color ... along with a new top ... ?

Thanks a lot, Quill! lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, lolo said:

I like board shorts, especially for watersports but just wanted to say that you wouldn't be able to wear them in a lot of European pools. Even men can't wear those. 

1 minute ago, stephanier.1765 said:

Our of curiosity, do you know why?

They say it is for sanitation reasons. It's not really clear what they mean but I think they feel the shorts might be worn outside or have things in the pockets that might get into the system. A lot of American boys and men don't like wearing speedos and avoid going to the pool altogether. I personally think the ones that look like tight bike shorts are fine, but my dh won't even wear those to the pool. But we haven't had any problems with board shorts in Germany though and they have the most amazing pools I've ever seen.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, CAJinBE said:

I like board shorts, especially for watersports but just wanted to say that you wouldn't be able to wear them in a lot of European pools. Even men can't wear those. 

I had to buy a one-piece Speedo style suit for myself, because tankinis, shorts, and swim skirts are such a no-no here. I was just talking to my sister tonight about finding some "bike shorts" to wear over my suit. If they are tight fitting, would that be allowed? What about a rash guard? I would like to go to swim parks this summer, but I burn so easily and would rather cover my thighs.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Quill said:

I wear a swim bra under my rash guards.  Like a sports bra but made for swimming.  It has a bit of a thicker material in the cups so nothing shows and it drys fast.  I bought it off amazon for 25.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ondreeuh said:

I had to buy a one-piece Speedo style suit for myself, because tankinis, shorts, and swim skirts are such a no-no here. I was just talking to my sister tonight about finding some "bike shorts" to wear over my suit. If they are tight fitting, would that be allowed? What about a rash guard? I would like to go to swim parks this summer, but I burn so easily and would rather cover my thighs.

I bought some men's tight fitting swim shorts to put over my one piece and that was okay. I think the rash guard would be okay in the outside parks. Most places have guidelines online that say what is allowed. Or you can look at photos online to see what others are wearing. Also the Flemish area is okay with shorts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, CAJinBE said:

I like board shorts, especially for watersports but just wanted to say that you wouldn't be able to wear them in a lot of European pools. 

I only had issues in Hungary. Everywhere else we have been has been fine with my swim wear. Ds and dh have not able able to wear swim shirts everywhere. 

• Like 2

I switched to something like this about 2-3 years ago (was wearing a swim skirt). These are a huge step up from the skirt! No more air bubbling up under the skirt in the water! There’s no need to wear anything under them because they have a built in panty. It also feels more ‘sporty’ than ‘frumpy mom’ to me. I always felt like an old lady in the skirt.  ?(Full disclosure...I got mine from Sam’s...because, well, cheap.) But I did look at and consider this one from LE  

https://www.landsend.com/products/womens-swim-shorts-with-tummy-control/id_191498?sku_0=::PZX

oh, and I can switch out my top/tankini every summer if I want to make the suit feel ‘new’ again. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Momto5inIN said:

I already have those shorts in black and navy. That was all they carried the past few years. Now, thanks to this thread, I also ordered them in the new boysenberry color ... along with a new top ... ?

Thanks a lot, Quill! lol

I’m just here to stimulate the economy! 

P.S. I really like that boysenberry color, but intend to get the blue or black to go with tankini tops I already have. 

• Like 3

I ordered new swim wear just a couple of days ago, and I decided to go with  these capri leggings, plus a tankini top. They say they are meant to wear over swim bottoms, so I ordered some, as well, which means that I could peel off the capris and still have a full suit on, if I chose.

https://www.landsend.com/products/womens-swim-crop-leggings/id_269396?searchText=swim capri

I have not been in a pool for years. Hate being without my glasses, but hate water spots on them. I have sensory issues, so I dislike being wet and drippy, and I hate when my bare legs rub together. So I sit by the pool and watch my kids when they swim. However, we are going to have a night at Great Wolf Lodge when we are on vacation next month, and I wanted to have a suit, so that I could do more than watch, if I want to. I might not like the attached skirt when it is wet, but I like the idea of having something other than leggings covering my bum. I think I will enjoy being in the pool more when I am more covered.

DD12 had a great laugh when I told her that I ordered a swim suit. Evidently, she doesn't remember all the time I spent with her in the pool for swimming lessons and at hotels when she was little, and the idea of me in a pool seems hilarious to her. I told her I might want to go down the slide, and she laughed so hard that she almost fell off the couch. ?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

You are my kindred spirit! I have swim tights from both and also wear a full rash guard. Great for swimming around noon and dry fast.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Quill said:

I’ve been wearing shorts and a rash guard for years. I look like “mom” at the pool, but I don’t care.  I *am* mom.  I really detest the double standard of men being covered up and comfortable at the beach, while I’m in my underwear, tugging at the fabric and mincing around so that nothing falls out

I also burn very easily and it’s been beyond lovely to only worry about my face, forearms, and half my legs.  No more trying to get sunblock on my back or every inch of leg.  It used to take forever to get ready to go to the pool.  Now it’s pretty fast.

I wear a bikini top under the rashguard.  But I think I like the sports bra idea that others have metioned better.  The bikini top is a cheap one that isn’t the most comfortable thing, but at least nothing will show in the water.  I hadn’t thought of a sports bra. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I bought those shorts last year and I wear them over my swim suit.  They are actually longer than I'd like since I have short legs, but I think the 5" would be shorter than I'd like and I don't know if there's a 7" option. I started wearing shorts several years ago for all the reasons you mention -- I'm more comfortable when I don't have to worry about what's showing and less maintenance in those areas is nice.  Being on a boat and water-skiing with several young women who were wearing the typical swimsuit clinched the decision for me.  As they moved around, getting into life jackets, climbing the ladder, pulling on the skis -- we could all just see more of them than I'd like to show. It's not entirely a modesty question for me though.  There is definitely vanity involved.  Those parts of me are better covered. ?

I wouldn't wear the shorts with nothing underneath since they are very clingy when wet and I find it more comfortable to not have to adjust my backside.

• Like 1

I've worn board shorts for years. I tried a swim skirt but I didn't like how it floated up in the water. I did have some 9 in board shorts. Two years ago I went with some 5in ones that were pull-on with a built-in liner (I found them on Amazon for $40- I see now they are only $18). The 9in ones were too long on my short legs and had a button and zipper, I never found those all that comfortable compared to pull-on swimsuit bottoms but liked them for the modesty. This year I bought a pair of boy-cut bottoms but haven't had a chance to wear them yet. While covering up for modesty I found that I started to feel bad about my body, which makes no sense, I didn't start covering up for that reason but along the way I became paranoid of showing anything. I realized that I no longer ascribe to those notions of modesty and don't mind to show more of my legs. Now, we'll see how the boy shorts perform, if I've got to constantly pull them in place I won't wear them but I'm going to try it and see. It's a shame that there aren't more intermediate options, there is so much of let's cover everything to let everything show.