Menu

Leftover meat

Night Elf

What do I do with all these odd bits of meat I have leftover from cooking dinner? I have pork chops, chicken breasts, and chicken sausage. I have 4-6 oz of each one. It's not enough for a meal. I've got most of it frozen but it's taking up space in the freezer and I don't think we'll ever use it. 

It's from meals that call for like 10 or 12 oz. of meat and I can only buy a pound. Depending on the meal, I can cook the whole pound in the recipe but most often I use what the recipe calls for because of the other ingredients involved.

I usually just roughly ratio all the other ingredients in a recipe to match the meat, but I'm not a very disciplined cook, lol. I do still end up with odd bits and pieces, though.
Leftover chicken breast could make a nice sandwich or get chopped up in a salad - mmm, chicken Caesar.
Chicken sausage might be nice in an omelette or with some scrambled eggs.
Pork chop - that would be a good meal for one person. If I have to leave one person alone, they can bbq something like and add some frozen perogies or a baked potato to make it an easy meal.

• Like 2

Hash.  You make sure they are cooked through, and then take off the bone and any obvious gristle, and then freeze them in plastic bags.  When you assemble a bunch, you put them through your grinder along with an equal amount of boiled potatoes and about half that amount of quartered raw white onions.  Mix well and fry up.

• Like 1

It's mostly raw meat frozen in the freezer. I have shredded chicken leftover from dinner tonight. I couldn't put too much of it into the enchiladas I made so now I have too much. That I can eat for lunch tomorrow. I can have rice, beans and chicken.

I guess I should just pull the meat out of the freezer and cook it. Maybe I can come up with some light dinners for one or lunch. We used the chicken sausage for pizza. I'd have to buy more flatbread but I have enough sausage to make one pizza. I didn't have enough flatbread to make another pizza when I was cooking it so that's why it got frozen.

I never left over parts of a package of meat; I just cook the entire thing.

But if I had leftovers, I would simply cook different meats for the same meal - one person gets a pork chop, another person a piece of chicken.

You can also put meat on salad or throw it in a curry, or in a stew.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 6

In meals, I usually use all the meat if the package is near-enough in size.

However, I frequently pre-cook large amounts of meat specifically so that I can portion it out and freeze for lunch meats. I aim for 3oz or so per package.

When I want to eat it I might... eat it as cold finger food, out it on top of salad, put it in a sandwich or wrap, stir fry it with veggies, pan fry or flash steam it and serve it with side dishes, add it to broth for soup, mix it with gravy for stew, or make an individual portion of something like a casserole or pasta meal.

This is basically the foundation for most of my lunches. If it's more than just me, I thaw more than one meat package.

• Like 1

I've never cooked a recipe where ratios were so important that adding the extra meat would be a problem.  In the future just add it to whatever you are making,  It really won't make that much difference.

For your current pieces, I'd just cook it all up and add all of it to fried rice or some soup.  Both are very forgiving meals that you can add whatever you have and it will still taste good.

• Like 9

Do you only have one little serving of each or multiple bags with 4-6 ounces? If multiple of each, combine to make a meal.

I’d probably cook the meats, chop, and make fried rice.

In the future you could have one freezer bag for each meat and put your little tidbits in until you have enough for a meal. So a baggie of one chicken breast will eventually have enough to make a meal.

It probably would be easier to scale your recipes up and have leftovers for someone to have for lunch the next day,

• Like 1

Extra meat is always useful here. Even that little bit is good for putting a little protein into something and making it become lunch. I can't imagine freezing it unless I had a use for it.

For ground meats, 6 oz is almost enough for us to do tacos. They take very little meat. Still, I usually cook more than that. Again, leftover meat. No need to cook it again. Always useful here.

• Like 1

Take the pork chops and chicken breasts, cut them small, stir-fry with fresh ginger, onion, celery and a little bit of bok choi or some other brassica and perhaps a carrot, add soy sauce, serve with rice as a light lunch. Perhaps serve some baked winter squash and/or kohlrabi to go with it. (Bake it with garlic, naturally, and a bit of honey at the end.) Chicken and pork chops taste just fine together cooked that way.

In the future, if this is an ongoing issue, start buying three pounds of meat at one time. Three pounds is 48oz, which is 4 meals at 12 ounces apiece, or five meals at just under 10 ounces. Quadruple (or quintuple) the recipe, freeze the extra for a rainy day. Then you don't have odds and ends in the freezer, you have complete meals you can reheat as needed.

Edited by Tanaqui
  • Like 1

What have you done with it before now?  

I personally would just put a pound of meat in the recipe.  The end.

These are Hello Fresh meals I'm recreating. Most of the time the recipe calls for 10 oz. of meat and that's what they send. If I make the recipe on my own, I can't get 10 oz. of meat. I usually have to buy a whole pound. Some recipes I do cook the whole pound. But some recipes have a balanced list of ingredients and I'm afraid if I put too much meat in, we won't be able to taste the other ingredients.

Last night I made enchiladas using shredded chicken. I didn't use all of it because it would have thinned out the taste of the enchilada seasoning. It was only add half a cup of water and the envelope of seasoning. If there is too much chicken, the seasoning is spread thinner on the meat and the enchilada will taste more plain chicken than a Mexican spice dish. But this shredded chicken I can use with my lunch today.

• Like 1

I go the other way. If I needed a pound of meat for something, I’d prepare twice as much meat and stash it for the next recipe. Sometimes this means cooking it and sometimes it just means seasoning or marinating it before freezing. Sometimes it would mean just making 50% more enchiladas amd freezing those.

• Like 1

Another thought . . . ring the little bell that calls the butcher and ask him for 10 oz. He’ll probably be delighted that people know you can do that.

I did that once and the guy looked at me like I was crazy when I said I needed 10 oz. out of a 1 lb package, but he did it. But it embarrassed me so I've never done it again.

I should also add I do not consider myself a cook. I follow recipes to the letter. Period. I do not  feel confident in changing something here and there. As it is, I sometimes have to guess how much of something to use and I feel very uncomfortable. For example, Hello Fresh sends little packets and little bottles of exactly what you need for the recipe but they don't always tell you how much is in it. It just says 'pour vinegar' or whatever. So when I make the recipe on my own, I have to try to remember about how big that bottle was so I can get the right amount in my dish. 

I did that once and the guy looked at me like I was crazy when I said I needed 10 oz. out of a 1 lb package, but he did it. But it embarrassed me so I've never done it again.

Do you have Publix nearby? When I visit my family I shop there and they are happy to divide packages for me.

• Like 1

I wouldn't ask for a package to be divided. I'd say I want 10 oz of meat. They should be able to do that (similar to ordering a specific amount at the deli).

That’s really kind of what I do. I tell them how much I want and they go out and grab packages and take them to the back and return with the amount I need.

I really like the places that have it on display in bulk so you can get exactly what you want!

• Like 1

That’s really kind of what I do. I tell them how much I want and they go out and grab packages and take them to the back and return with the amount I need.

I really like the places that have it on display in bulk so you can get exactly what you want!

Yep.  Pretty much all the stores here have a section where you can place orders (they have stuff in display cases).  I have done this and if they don't have what I want in the case or enough or whatever, they just go and grab packages from the other cases and open them.

• Like 2

I should also add I do not consider myself a cook. I follow recipes to the letter. Period. I do not  feel confident in changing something here and there. As it is, I sometimes have to guess how much of something to use and I feel very uncomfortable. For example, Hello Fresh sends little packets and little bottles of exactly what you need for the recipe but they don't always tell you how much is in it. It just says 'pour vinegar' or whatever. So when I make the recipe on my own, I have to try to remember about how big that bottle was so I can get the right amount in my dish. 

Cooking is not an exact science. For almost all ingredients, there is no "right amount". You can generously vary proportions and still create tasty dishes - they just taste different. They don't turn magically inedible if you don;'t follow the exact directions.

That's the fun of it!

• Like 6

Hey Night Elf, my grandmother was a fantastic old fashioned cook. She had lots of recipes, but her most beloved dishes were things she made regularly enough to not have to use recipes.

So my cousin went over there one day to watch as she cooked. My cousin had grandma add ingredients as she instinctively would into a separate bowl first, which my cousin measured, recorded, then added to the concoction. This is how some of her best loved recipes got written down and passed down to grandkids.

All that to say, try opening those little packets and bottles into a measuring device before adding them to the dish you are making. That way you could more easily duplicate them.

• Like 3

I have the hello fresh app and the full recipes are there, with the amount of each ingredient.

Not everything. What about the packets of chicken stock concentrate? I've had to guess on that one. And demi  glace? I don't even know what that is! I bought chicken broth concentrate to use in lieu of that. That made me uncomfortable but it tasted good. 

Chicken mince or shredded chicken breast are great in spring rolls. A small amount is good for lunches. You can make a yummy soup wih chicken stock, creamed corn and shredded chicken. You can also add it to minestrone.

Typically I just cook all the meat and if the sauce if a bit light on so be it.

Not everything. What about the packets of chicken stock concentrate? I've had to guess on that one. And demi glace? I don't even know what that is! I bought chicken broth concentrate to use in lieu of that. That made me uncomfortable but it tasted good.

I have read a celebrity chef thing and it said when you double the recipe don't double the spices or the flavour will be too intense. I don't know how that works but I assume there's some logic behind it.

Not everything. What about the packets of chicken stock concentrate? I've had to guess on that one. And demi glace? I don't even know what that is! I bought chicken broth concentrate to use in lieu of that. That made me uncomfortable but it tasted good.

Ah, I hadn’t actually run across one of those before, but I went digging through the current recipes and found one with one unit vegetable broth! For the first time I made the recipe, I would look at how much liquid was in it, then add the recommended amount of bouillon for that amount. Or eyeball it, which is not what you want to hear!

I’m glad you found a substitute that worked! Many times a quick google search for substitutions for x gives some options.

If I am adding more meat than a recipe calls for (because I do have 7 people living here, including 1 teen boy), I will tweak the other ingredients if needed. Usually, though, it is not needed. I suppose it helps that I cook without a recipe 8 or 9 times in 10 so tweaking things doesn't usually present a challenge.  

Edited by LucyStoner

These are Hello Fresh meals I'm recreating. Most of the time the recipe calls for 10 oz. of meat and that's what they send. If I make the recipe on my own, I can't get 10 oz. of meat. I usually have to buy a whole pound. Some recipes I do cook the whole pound. But some recipes have a balanced list of ingredients and I'm afraid if I put too much meat in, we won't be able to taste the other ingredients.

Last night I made enchiladas using shredded chicken. I didn't use all of it because it would have thinned out the taste of the enchilada seasoning. It was only add half a cup of water and the envelope of seasoning. If there is too much chicken, the seasoning is spread thinner on the meat and the enchilada will taste more plain chicken than a Mexican spice dish. But this shredded chicken I can use with my lunch today.

Here is another idea for you. One pound is 16 oz, so half a pound is 8 oz. You might think about getting a pound of meat, using half of it and saving the other half in the freezer for the next time that you make that same recipe. You probably wouldn't notice that your recipe had only 8 oz instead of 10.

Or buy a pound and a half of meat. Divide it into two and freeze half of it for the next time, and you will have 12 ounces for each meal. This will give you just a little more meat than the original recipe calls for. Not enough to notice the difference.

DH wants to try to blend it all together and make a meatloaf. No idea how it will taste. Our backup is leftovers. We have more leftovers than we usually do. I don't want to throw it all out so I scheduled two leftovers dinner nights this week.

From now on I'm going to cook all the meat and not put small bits into the freezer. 

It's these Hello Fresh meals. Supposedly they are for two people but we always have so much leftover. Even the burgers. They send 10 oz of ground beef to make two patties and two buns. But we don't like burgers that big. So I buy smaller buns and we make 3 patties. DH eats one of their buns which is large and i use the smaller cheap buns because I'm not wasting calories on bread.

And I've got Hello Fresh coming this week too so that's 3 more dinners. But dd is home from college this week so maybe this will work out.

It's these Hello Fresh meals. Supposedly they are for two people but we always have so much leftover. Even the burgers. They send 10 oz of ground beef to make two patties and two buns. But we don't like burgers that big. So I buy smaller buns and we make 3 patties. DH eats one of their buns which is large and i use the smaller cheap buns because I'm not wasting calories on bread.

And I've got Hello Fresh coming this week too so that's 3 more dinners. But dd is home from college this week so maybe this will work out.

Good grief! You need my teenage son, lol. Last week, I made meatloaf with slightly over 3 lbs of meat (2/3 beef, 1/3 pork) for 3 people. The small amount of leftovers was gone before the next night's dinner.

Any extra meat in our house gets eaten -- teenagers.

DH wants to try to blend it all together and make a meatloaf. No idea how it will taste. Our backup is leftovers. We have more leftovers than we usually do. I don't want to throw it all out so I scheduled two leftovers dinner nights this week.

From now on I'm going to cook all the meat and not put small bits into the freezer. 

Blended meats make the best meatloaves.