Menu

How would you interpret this

hjffkj

How would you interpret this text message conversation if you were the person inquiring about present ideas.

Person 1: Are any of these still on ds9's list?  Shin guards, dragon nunchaku, walking dead letter opener.

Person 2: All of them. But he may not have anything walking dead.

Person 1: Ok thx.

I would also interpret it as he is not allowed to have walking dead; based on his age and walking dead stuff being possibly not considered desirable by parents. The text itself is ambiguous though as it could also mean he might not have any walking dead things yet so walking dead stuff would be particularly desirable.

• Like 5

I would also interpret it as he is not allowed to have walking dead; based on his age and walking dead stuff being possibly not considered desirable by parents. The text itself is ambiguous though as it could also mean he might not have any walking dead things yet so walking dead stuff would be particularly desirable.

Yes, it is ambiguous.  However from context and knowing this particular child's mother the sentence should have been clear.  Apparently not because said 9 year old got a walking dead letter opener. He is very excited and his mother is just perplexed by the miscommunication.  

So I said I would take it to the Hive to see how other people would have interpreted it.

• Like 1

I interpreted it as the person is not sure if he has any Walking Dead stuff.  But then I read the other replies and think it could be that he's not allowed to have it.  

ETA: I don't know anything really about Walking Dead, maybe someone more familiar with it would not see ambiguity.  I don't know if it's something 9-year-olds watch. 

Edited by marbel
  • Like 1

How would you interpret this text message conversation if you were the person inquiring about present ideas.

Person 1: Are any of these still on ds9's list?  Shin guards, dragon nunchaku, walking dead letter opener.

So "ds9" is NOT my son, it's just a substitute for your child's name?

If "ds9" is not my child, I would read it to say that he may not have anything Walking Dead, therefore it might be a good idea for me to get something Walking Dead, that it might be more desireable than something else.

If "ds9" is my child, I would assume I would know what he could/couldn't have. I woud read it the same way, that perhaps I should consider going with the Walking Dead theme, since he may not already have anything with that theme.

If my child were not allowed to have Walking Dead items, he should not be requesting them. My beef would be with my kid, not the gift giver, and as a consequence for requesting something he is not allowed to have, he would not get to keep the gift.

• Like 2

I interpreted it as the person is not sure if he has any Walking Dead stuff.  But then I read the other replies and think it could be that he's not allowed to have it.  

ETA: I don't know anything really about Walking Dead, maybe someone more familiar with it would not see ambiguity.  I don't know if it's something 9-year-olds watch. 

It is a very graphic show about zombies.  I imagine most 9 year olds would not be allowed to watch.  Person A and B both watch it so they both know how graphic it is so B thought they were being clear enough.

The actual object isn't actually that bad and the packaging didn't have anything graphic so over all it is something he can keep.  Had it been labelled a catana letter opener person B would have had no problem with it in the first place.

• Like 2

So "ds9" is NOT my son, it's just a substitute for your child's name?

If "ds9" is not my child, I would read it to say that he may not have anything Walking Dead, therefore it might be a good idea for me to get something Walking Dead, that it might be more desireable than something else.

If "ds9" is my child, I would assume I would know what he could/couldn't have. I woud read it the same way, that perhaps I should consider going with the Walking Dead theme, since he may not already have anything with that theme.

If my child were not allowed to have Walking Dead items, he should not be requesting them. My beef would be with my kid, not the gift giver, and as a consequence for requesting something he is not allowed to have, he would not get to keep the gift.

Well said kid had no idea he couldn't request something Walking Dead and he told the gift giver directly what he wanted when asked so the parents were never involved until the above text conversation happened.

Yes, it is ambiguous.  However from context and knowing this particular child's mother the sentence should have been clear.  Apparently not because said 9 year old got a walking dead letter opener. He is very excited and his mother is just perplexed by the miscommunication.  

So I said I would take it to the Hive to see how other people would have interpreted it.

It didn't even occur to me that the "may not" meant "is not allowed to" until I read other responses. I assumed it meant "might not" and was scratching my head to understand the message. He might not have it on his list? Or he might not be receiving it?

I probably would have asked for clarification, but obviously this person didn't. I would try to assume good intentions, though.

• Like 4

It didn't even occur to me that the "may not" meant "is not allowed to" until I read other responses. I assumed it meant "might not" and was scratching my head to understand the message. He might not have it on his list? Or he might not be receiving it?

I probably would have asked for clarification, but obviously this person didn't. I would try to assume good intentions, though.

Oh, good intentions were met.  Just lots of head scratching from all the adults aside from the person who bought the present.  At this point it is just a funny misunderstanding.

• Like 1

I would have interpreted it as "they are all still on his list but he is not allowed (may not have) the walking dead item". I would never have thought it ambiguous as if someone had already bought something from the list I would have said so or I would have said "I don't think anyone has got the walking dead item or whatever".

Edited by kiwik
  • Like 3

I would think it meant the kid has things similar to the first two, or in that theme, and that you didn't think anyone had gotten him anything from the Walking Dead, so it'd be a great idea to get something from the W.D.

Edited by QueenCat
  • Like 7

I'm with the group that would interpret it to say " he's not getting anything from The Walking Dead that I am aware of (so maybe that is the best choice!)".

it never would've occurred to me that it meant he was not allowed to have such an item... in part because I assume the text was with the parent, not with the child. And if there is something on my child's WishList that I absolutely did not want them to have, I wouldn't even list it when talking with other adults.

• Like 3

I'm with the group that would interpret it to say " he's not getting anything from The Walking Dead that I am aware of (so maybe that is the best choice!)".

it never would've occurred to me that it meant he was not allowed to have such an item... in part because I assume the text was with the parent, not with the child. And if there is something on my child's WishList that I absolutely did not want them to have, I wouldn't even list it when talking with other adults.

The parent had not shared any wish list with person A and usually never does because person A never asks for one. This is literally the first time person A has ever asked for a list and they asked the birthday boy himself. Oddly enough, none of the things listed were things the parent knew the kids wanted.

^^^this.

• Like 1

I read it both ways.  My kids have a bunch of things from the Halo video game franchise (board game, costumes, Lego sets), but we don't let them play T+ rated games yet.  So a kid wanting a Walking Dead letter opener without actually being allowed to watch the show wouldn't seem that strange to me.  Although it's totally the parents' call on that.  If I was the gift buyer, I'd double check!

I read it both ways. My kids have a bunch of things from the Halo video game franchise (board game, costumes, Lego sets), but we don't let them play T+ rated games yet. So a kid wanting a Walking Dead letter opener without actually being allowed to watch the show wouldn't seem that strange to me. Although it's totally the parents' call on that. If I was the gift buyer, I'd double check!

They are not allowed Halo stuff either. There are enough kids toys in existence that we just steer clear of teen/adult games shows merchandise for kids.

If I had read that casually, the way I speak, I would take it as he might not have any walking dead stuff yet, but because I was reading carefully I took it as he is not allowed.

A side note, walking dead letter opener? My dh would die!

Hehe, it is just Michonne's katana. Nothing particularly special.

I'm in the camp of WD stuff not allowed. If I had received that reply, I would have purchased the shin guards or the dragon item. I love dragons and would have jumped at the opportunity to gift one.

Edited: I had no idea the dragon thing was a video game. I probably still would have gone with that, though.

Edited by Scoutermom

All of the responses like this made me smile. Mostly because I am the opposite. To me, it was quite clear before reading other responses that "may not" meant "is not allowed to." Reading it any other was wouldn't have occurred to me.

• Like 7

I'm in the camp of WD stuff not allowed. If I had received that reply, I would have purchased the shin guards or the dragon item. I love dragons and would have jumped at the opportunity to gift one.

Edited: I had no idea the dragon thing was a video game. I probably still would have gone with that, though.

Oh he didn't ask for a video game. They were nunchucks

• Like 1

All of the responses like this made me smile. Mostly because I am the opposite. To me, it was quite clear before reading other responses that "may not" meant "is not allowed to." Reading it any other was wouldn't have occurred to me.

This is how I feel about it.

• Like 1

Same.  It didn't even occur to me that it could be interpreted as "he might not have any" until I read this thread.  

• Like 2

I have read it to myself several times and could easily have interpreted it either way, depending on emphasis and focus.  It either reads to me as Walking Dead stuff is not allowed or as all three are o.k. but so far there are no other Walking Dead gifts so that would be the best option of the three. I absolutely could see it either way.  FTR, it sounds weirdly worded no matter which way I interpret it.

• Like 1

I almost never use "may not" in the sense of not allowed.

If I put those two words together it means might not.

Not even to your kids?

You'd never say "you may not hit your brother with that wooden mallet*"? What would you say?

*Feel free to insert whatever thing you never would have guessed you would need to explicitly tell your own children.

• Like 4

Not even to your kids?

You'd never say "you may not hit your brother with that wooden mallet*"? What would you say?

*Feel free to insert whatever thing you never would have guessed you would need to explicitly tell your own children.

I would say ^, or "We don't hit with wooden mallets."

I would have thought "did not have any Walking Dead stuff and so that would be particularly desirable". And I say that as a parent of a 10 year old dd who I would not allow to have any Walking Dead stuff! The other interpretation did not occur to me until I read other posts. Although, if I knew the families, I might realize the parents wouldn't allow it. I don't think I know any parents who would allow it!

ETA: my 10 yo ds does have a "walking dead" nerf gun. But just because there isn't really a difference except for the picture on the packaging.

Edited by TABmom
  • Like 1

Not even to your kids?

I'm not maize but I will respond.

If they were to ask me "May I hit my brother with that wooden mallet?"  I might respond with "No, you may not."  In all likelihood they wouldn't be asking, though, so if I saw them raising a wooden mallet I would probably shout something like "DON'T HIT YOUR BROTHER WITH THAT MALLET!" Or maybe "Put that down RIGHT NOW!" or something else along those lines.  

"May not" is just not a common phrase where I live and in the face of impending doom (brother about to get hit with a wooden mallet) I would be choosing words that to me seem to have more bite, and hopefully wake them immediately to the reality that they are about to make a serious mistake and should cease and desist RIGHT NOW.  :)

But I'm getting the feeling that 'may not' is a stronger phrase other cultures?

• Like 3

When I was young, if we kids asked my mom "Can I go to the corner?" She would say, "You can, but you may not." :)

Our teachers stock response was "I am sure you could do x but you may not". Some were fussier than others. This was of course before mass exposure to US TV changed NZ English.

• Like 3