Menu

To Cook A Thanksgiving Dinner or Not to Cook A Thanksgiving Dinner...

HeatherL

It's just us and my mother in law who lives with us.  I cook dinner all the time.  We eat as a family all the time.  I started a nights and weekend job recently (off this week) and am just tired and really I just want to order a pizza.  But I feel like I'm cheating my kids out of a traditional Thanksgiving like I grew up with,  but... we had aunts, uncles, grandparents, etc, who came over. 

I am cooking for the 4 of us and our good friends (husband and wife) who had their plans change at the last minute.

Cooking turkey and all the trimmings for so few people is killing me.  We usually have at least 12 for Thanksgiving and I don't mind doing it for that many people, but it seems ridiculous for so few of us.  I wish we decided to go out instead. 

It's just the four of us. I'm cooking.  Why?  Well cuz it's the sort of thing I remember fondly from when I was a kid.  That my mother made holidays special.  It's a little thing, but it meant a lot to me so I want to do that for my kids.  Doesn't take a ton of people to make it special either.

This is not to say anyone should feel the same! 

• Like 5

We do Chinese. I think the turkey dinner prices are outrageous also. I don't really like turkey very much anyway.

Kelly

Seriously...$50 pp (plus tax and tip) for a turkey dinner.  I can make a great turkey dinner for the four of us for $50 total!

I like the Chinese idea.

Edited by SparklyUnicorn
  • Like 1

I have tossed away traditions when the time seemed right.  I never thought of it as cheating anyone out of anything.  My kids will grow up and if they envy people with the big turkey dinner, they can do it then.  

My kids are pretty stuck to a few traditions (see my mashed potato thread, sigh) but are starting to be a little more flexible.  

One friend of mine goes to a very nice restaurant for their very traditional Thanksgiving dinner. It works for them.  

Nah, guilt shouldn't be allowed. Do what feels right to you. Go out to Chinese, order in pizza and binge watch Marvel shows, go for a hike and have a picnic, eat leftovers.

Do your kids care? Mine doesn't but we'd still make our own evolving traditions even if he did.

Enjoy the day together and let the expectations go. Life's just too short to stress about stuffing and mushy casserole.

Edited by MEmama
  • Like 1

I would still do one, but that is because it is important to me and my family.

Right now I am planning a contingency plan for our family.  Youngest woke up sick yesterday, today he is feeling better, but has a cold.  I have calls in to my siblings to see if they are okay with him coming tomorrow.  I am trying to figure out what to do if we end up needing to stay home.  I have a turkey, but it is frozen hard as a rock, so it would likely mean DH needing to pick up something on the way home from work.  Though I hate to ask him to go to the grocery store the night before Thanksgiving.

It's just  one meal. Don't let guilt be the deciding factor. You're tired and you cook and have family meals every day. It's ok to take the day off and eat pizza.  You can do something else to make the day special. Bake cookies together, watch the Macy's parade or the dog show, play a game...something.  There are other ways to celebrate being thankful...turkey dinners aren't the be all end all. 

• Like 2

Thank you for all the replies.  I talked to my kids and they really wanted all the traditional thanksgiving, so off to the grocery store I went.  I already have enough guilt that they are growing up without extended family and traditions that I figured I could muster up this meal :)  I did ask if either boy would help me with the cooking and my 10 year old happily agreed and wants to help with all of it.  That may be the beginning of a great tradition.  I'd love to have him help every year :)

• Like 15

We're cooking for the 4 of us (tonight since both DH and DS work tomorrow) but we're only doing a turkey breast, stuffing, buttered corn, green beans, mashed potatoes, pasta salad, and rolls.  Actually sounds like a lot but since DH usually goes all out it's pretty toned down for us.  Oh, DH is making an apple pie.

*We're using a lot of low prep ingredients like frozen vegetables and boxed stuffing.

Thank you for all the replies. I talked to my kids and they really wanted all the traditional thanksgiving, so off to the grocery store I went. I already have enough guilt that they are growing up without extended family and traditions that I figured I could muster up this meal :) I did ask if either boy would help me with the cooking and my 10 year old happily agreed and wants to help with all of it. That may be the beginning of a great tradition. I'd love to have him help every year :)

Don't have guilt for having your kids grow up away from family. I did, so are my kids. We all survived.

Kelly

• Like 1

I know you already decided to go for it but I was going to suggest you do at least an abbreviated version. I grew up with large family gatherings, then we moved to Florida and it was just us (4, then 3 of us). We had a traditional Thanksgiving but one year thought we'd go out since it was just the 3 of us. We were sorry and went back to traditional. We just missed all the food we were used to having. 

Extended family is nice to have around, especially if you all get along (or mostly get along) but don't feel guilty. Make your traditions with who is there.

Thank you for all the replies. I talked to my kids and they really wanted all the traditional thanksgiving, so off to the grocery store I went. I already have enough guilt that they are growing up without extended family and traditions that I figured I could muster up this meal :) I did ask if either boy would help me with the cooking and my 10 year old happily agreed and wants to help with all of it. That may be the beginning of a great tradition. I'd love to have him help every year :)

I started helping my mom around that age and by 13 I was doing most of the meal by myself! Mom would do the prep work of chopping bread, onions, and celery for stuffing. She would also make the pies. Dad would take the turkey out of the oven and carve it. The rest was all me and I was always so proud of myself. It's a great memory.

I like tradition and cook for family. But you have the job....

In your position, I buy a couple of pies, some ice cream to go with, corn muffins, canned cranberry sauce, side dishes and gravy. Most stores that do preorders usually have dishes on hand for last minute shoppers. Serve with cranberry juice, cider, sparkling cider -- something you dont usually have.

Some of the stores I go to gave all the non-refrigerated Thanksgiving stuff in one location at the front, so you dont have to search for it.

It's pretty easy to cook a turkey breast. There are directions online for frozen to cooked in a minimum amount of time.

If you are doing pizza, I'd add something special like ice cream with toppings, a bunch of movies (purchased if you are tired of streaming selections), movie candy, homemade popcorn. Actually that is sounding pretty good to me, lol.

ETA

Just saw post 20' ops update. Have a great meal!

Edited by Alessandra

I always cook holiday meals, even if it's just us. My extended family has already had a traditional thanksgiving on Monday in TN. We're back home in GA, and I'm cooking tomorrow for the 4 of us. I want my kids to know cooking holiday meals will always be special because it was special with my mom and grandmother who have passed away. I'm trying a leg of lamb tomorrow and making some favorites, a pineapple casserole, garlic and butter asparagus, mashed potatoes, sauteed zucchini, and homemade carrot cake. I might make a pumpkin pie, too. 

• Like 1

My 10 yo Ds likes to help cook too! It is fun. Every year that we cook T'giving, my kids help choose the menu, set the table, and make some of the food.

Cut some corners where you can , since you are weary. I hope you have a really nice day!