Menu

Because this is so logical

moonsong

Was talking with a friends five year old I asked them what they did for Halloween. His mom spoke up and said they don't celebrate Halloween only people who worship Satan celebrate Halloween. That they were planning on going to the trunk or treat at church but got sick. Now I have known this family for three years and the last two. They have dressed up in costumes and went to their churches trunk or treat on the 31 st of Oct. Pray tell what exactly is the difference other. Than the name?

• Like 4

Was talking with a friends five year old I asked them what they did for Halloween. His mom spoke up and said they don't celebrate Halloween only people who worship Satan celebrate Halloween. That they were planning on going to the trunk or treat at church but got sick. Now I have known this family for three years and the last two. They have dressed up in costumes and went to their churches trunk or treat on the 31 st of Oct. Pray tell what exactly is the difference other. Than the name?

They pray a circle of protection around their cars and this exorcises candy-specific demons from their Reece cups.

• Like 30

Trunks of cars of churchgoing people are holy. Anything that comes out of there is sanctified and may be handed to a small child.

Trunks of cars of other people are unholy because they have probably transported cases of hooch and enemies of the family wearing concrete overshoes.

This is as far as I've gotten. To me the real question is why you let this crazy person call you a Satan worshiper, because that's not a decent thing to say to anyone other than an actual Satan worshiper (who is presumably proud of it). The rest of us need to call people out on this stuff, because the "y'all belong to Satan and y'all are going to hell" parlance - as small talk - is getting out of control. Just my opinion.

• Like 21

Perception.  All advertising tries to create a perception.  Apparently the one they listened to was successful.

FWIW, we celebrated Halloween and never once have worshiped Satan.  We're definitely Christian.  So now you have another data point refuting their (false) perception... just in case you needed one.  ;)

• Like 7

Trunk or Treat is a "Halloween alternative." I am a Christian who has no problem with Halloween. I do have a problem with Christians who do have a problem with Halloween, but celebrate it anyway, pretending that is not what they are doing. I refuse to participate in that.

• Like 15

Trunk or Treat is a "Halloween alternative." I am a Christian who has no problem with Halloween. I do have a problem with Christians who do have a problem with Halloween, but celebrate it anyway, pretending that is not what they are doing. I refuse to participate in that.

• Like 1

Wow, is her information way off base.  Pretty much came out of lala land.  And not only is she woefully misinformed, she is really rude, too.  How special.  I'm curious.  Did you say anything to her?  I might have been so caught off guard I wouldn't have but I do wonder if you said anything and if so what her response was.

• Like 5

No! A Hedge of Protection!! :lol:

HEDGE! I forgot it was a hedge. The hedge helps hold in the holiness so we can bless the candy to the nourishment of our bodies. A circle is probably what the witches do when they’re casting demons into the milky ways in the first place.

• Like 8

Oh my, I still remember the glares our family used to get every year when we would join our church's "Harvest Fest" (where you dressed up in costume, got candy, and carved pumpkins) after coming in off the street from "Trick or Treating" (where you also dressed up in costume and got candy, after carving pumpkins earlier in the day).  Apparently there is a big difference that I'm not aware of!  :D

The funny thing is that we slowly found out that there were a few other families that did the same thing -- they were just sneakier about it!

To be fair, the people I know who used to be so anti Trick-or-Treating have relaxed a lot since those days.

• Like 4

Oh my, I still remember the glares our family used to get every year when we would join our church's "Harvest Fest" (where you dressed up in costume, got candy, and carved pumpkins) after coming in off the street from "Trick or Treating" (where you also dressed up in costume and got candy, after carving pumpkins earlier in the day).  Apparently there is a big difference that I'm not aware of!   :D

The funny thing is that we slowly found out that there were a few other families that did the same thing -- they were just sneakier about it!

To be fair, the people I know who used to be so anti Trick-or-Treating have relaxed a lot since those days.

We did both too.  The Harvest Party was even held at our farm more than once.   :coolgleamA:   We weren't the only family who did both and our church never preached that Halloween was bad or that the Harvest Party (not held on Halloween, but sometime that same week) was an alternative.  I think it was just a Harvest Party...  One could come in costume or not.  We had pony rides, fall foods (potluck), crafts and games for the kids, conversations for all, etc.  Anyone who wanted could abstain from Halloween, of course, but the two weren't openly connected.

• Like 1

We had a friend like that.  Had, being the operative word.  When she delved into that 'only Satan worshippers do Halloween' nonsense the ties were severed after an informative few minutes on what Halloween is and why her belief in my holiday was so backwards and not grounded in any sense of fact whatsoever.  Gah.

The only difference I see in a Trunk Or Treat and Trick or Treating is the amount of candy my kid comes home with.  I like having him work for it, walking 2 miles or so to get half the bag he would have gotten at a parking lot.  Oh, but then he wouldn't get any Harvest Seeds or Scripture Smarties.  :glare: Which he can't eat anyway because they're full of dye.

• Like 2

Very fun point of fact: even the church of Satan doesn't worship Satan. They don't even believe he exists

The Church of Satan is actually pretty cool.  They're some of the first to jump in when help is needed, they are into science and facts, and into human compassion.  If the name wasn't such a trigger for people they'd have a lot more members, but I have a feeling that's by design. :lol:

• Like 5

Oh my, I still remember the glares our family used to get every year when we would join our church's "Harvest Fest" (where you dressed up in costume, got candy, and carved pumpkins) after coming in off the street from "Trick or Treating" (where you also dressed up in costume and got candy, after carving pumpkins earlier in the day).  Apparently there is a big difference that I'm not aware of!   :D

That's hilarious!  We went to a church harvest party once.  Even my kids, who were pretty young then, asked "how is this different from regular trick or treating?"  I think the only different was that scary and/or occult-type costumes were not allowed.  No witches, mummies, ghosts, etc.  Fair enough, but still it's no different.

We used to go to a church that had a Reformation Day celebration.  Now that was a fun party, and not an attempt at a Halloween knock-off. If people wore costumes, they were related to the period.  So sort of Renaissance-Faire-like, without the super low necklines and tightly laced bodices.  Plenty of food, music, games, short plays... total fun, and not a nod to Halloween but a festival of it's own. 

• Like 4

I guess it's about as logical as non-Christians who celebrate Christmas, Easter, or Thanksgiving. *shrug*

Tell me where in the Bible it is that there is a lit up tree and magic bunny...   any Christians who use those are participating in the same Devil worship secularism as dresssing up for Halloween donchatknow.

but thanksgivign is the real head scratcher in this list.  How exactly is that a Christian holiday?

• Like 7

Nope. Almost all cultures have had seasonal celebrations. That Christians named the ones most ppl in the us today celebrate is irrelevant.

ETA. Plus every single year the media at large likes to play up the so called war on Christmas whenever they can get someone's face on camera saying happy holidays, or someone's face saying that people saying happy holidays is shits fired on the war on Christmas. Literally every year since I started being around the news.

Not to even bring up how if Christians use Xmas instead of Christmas, some other Christians accuse them, too.

Iow: no. Almost everyone partakes in local seasonal celebrations.

Nice typo there, LOL.  At least I assume it's a typo.   :lol:

I do see Thanksgiving a holiday with a Christian origin and religious overtones, thanking God and all that.  But I also see Thanksgiving as an American (USA) holiday, for everyone to celebrate.

I celebrate Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter (Resurrection Sunday) as Christian holidays. But they are also cultural holidays, and thus to me not closed to people who are not Christians.  They just celebrate them differently, right? 

Edited by marbel
  • Like 1

I guess it's about as logical as non-Christians who celebrate Christmas, Easter, or Thanksgiving. *shrug*

ðŸ™

I was raised by people who talked like this. My mother would add something like, "They don't have anyone to be thankful *to* so they're just getting together for a party."

Because Christians own thankfulness? Because nobody else ever counts their blessings? Because there's something to despise about friends and family gathering in love and happiness on a convenient long weekend, as a national tradition?

I think this is very ugly, exclusive talk.

What if Christians loved their neighbor and were happy that more people were willing to be thankful, open their minds to a joyful cultural observance of a holiday that is about the coming of Christ, and enjoy the beauty and hope of the Easter season in the spring?

Edited by Tibbie Dunbar
  • Like 13

Well, I’m an atheist and I don’t celerate Easter, but do celebrate the solstices and Thanksgiving. I can’t quite figure out how Thanksgiving has anything to do with the gods. I am thankful for lots of things my fellow humans have done, but that’s because I’m also a humanist. So, yeah, sorry I don’t think Christians have cornered the market on Thanksgiving.

I am interested in this hedge if it cancels out the calories in sweets. Have there been any studies? Because I could get behind that. ;)

• Like 3

A circle is probably what the witches do when they’re casting demons into the milky ways in the first place.

Sigh.  Remember the good ol' days when all we had to worry about in candy was razor blades and injected mystery drugs?  Now it's demons AND calories?   ;)

• Like 5

ðŸ™

I was raised by people who talked like this. My mother would add something like, "They don't have anyone to be thankful *to* so they're just getting together for a party."

Because Christians own thankfulness? Because nobody else ever counts their blessings? Because there's something to despise about friends and family gathering in love and happiness on a convenient long weekend, as a national tradition?

I think this is very ugly, exclusive talk.

What if Christians loved their neighbor and were happy that more people were willing to be thankful, open their minds to a joyful cultural observance of a holiday that is about the coming of Christ, and enjoy the beauty and hope of the Easter season in the spring?

Where did Kinsa say any of the things you’re accusing her of?

• Like 3

There is absolutely no difference.  Again, misinformation and superstition has led many Christians into believing/practicing false dogmas.

Surprise! Halloween's Not a Pagan Festival Afterall!

Is Halloween Pagan and Evil?

OP: Share the above with your friend.  They are from Christian websites.  This one is from a conservative source: Move Over, Druids: Halloween is a Christian Holiday.

• Like 2

I would be more offended at the outright comment that this person basically called OP a satan worshipper. That is out of line. People can believe whatever they want and celebrate whatever they feel they need to but being rude like this is irritating.

I think our local church celebrations for halloween are fun! We try to hit one either before or after trick or treating. We definitely won't miss out on Halloween though. We all rank Halloween pretty high on our favorite holiday list :)

Also, I don't think Kinsa is saying she believes her comment, I think it is more the irony of how something morphs. Christians celebrate Halloween even though it is technically a pagan holiday, non Christians celebrate Christmas even though it has religious origins. That is all she is saying. Some people change Christmas to "Happy Holiday" and some Christians change Halloween to whatever it is you call it when you trick or treat out of church trunks.

• Like 4

A woman at our Co-op gave me a nasty look because I was wearing Mickey Ears on Halloween and said "so is this for Halloween?" With a dripping tone.

Uh no I just run around in my Mickey Ears on any given Tuesday.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Gah, I do dislike that level of hypocrisy within the Christian homeschooling community. I had someone decline our Harry Potter Homeschool event because spells are "evil and satanic" but their kid runs around in Star Wars clothing ("the force" ie magic) and Super Hero clothes ("super powers" ie magic). Sometimes I just try hard to keep my eyes from rolling and lowering myself but it is so hard!

One of the reasons we left our sweet little Christian school was because of this very thing. One of my boys wore a Pokémon sweatshirt (he was 5 at the time) and was told not to wear it again because Pokémon are evil. Oh yeah...they told my 5 year old this which basically says "your parents are evil because they let you wear it" I was livid. Again though Star Wars and Super Heroes were a non issue. It is almost like they don't stop to use a brain cell long enough to see this doesn't make a lick of sense.

Now I will go breathe this out, I feel my blood boiling again over it and it was 2 years ago lol.

• Like 4

I would be more offended at the outright comment that this person basically called OP a satan worshipper. That is out of line. People can believe whatever they want and celebrate whatever they feel they need to but being rude like this is irritating.

I think our local church celebrations for halloween are fun! We try to hit one either before or after trick or treating. We definitely won't miss out on Halloween though. We all rank Halloween pretty high on our favorite holiday list :)

Also, I don't think Kinsa is saying she believes her comment, I think it is more the irony of how something morphs. Christians celebrate Halloween even though it is technically a pagan holiday, non Christians celebrate Christmas even though it has religious origins. That is all she is saying. Some people change Christmas to "Happy Holiday" and some Christians change Halloween to whatever it is you call it when you trick or treat out of church trunks.

In response to the bolded, no one changes Christmas to Happy Holiday. It's "Happy Holidays" because there are a ton of celebrations from Thanksgiving to New Year's - Hannakuh (sp?), Christmas, Yule, Solstice, Kwanzaa. I'm a Christian and celebrate Christmas (both religiously and secularly), and I say Happy Holidays in public because who knows what that person is celebrating. 

• Like 6

Gah, I do dislike that level of hypocrisy within the Christian homeschooling community. I had someone decline our Harry Potter Homeschool event because spells are "evil and satanic" but their kid runs around in Star Wars clothing ("the force" ie magic) and Super Hero clothes ("super powers" ie magic). Sometimes I just try hard to keep my eyes from rolling and lowering myself but it is so hard!

One of the reasons we left our sweet little Christian school was because of this very thing. One of my boys wore a Pokémon sweatshirt (he was 5 at the time) and was told not to wear it again because Pokémon are evil. Oh yeah...they told my 5 year old this which basically says "your parents are evil because they let you wear it" I was livid. Again though Star Wars and Super Heroes were a non issue. It is almost like they don't stop to use a brain cell long enough to see this doesn't make a lick of sense.

Now I will go breathe this out, I feel my blood boiling again over it and it was 2 years ago lol.

I got a chuckle out of all the gasps about the recent Beauty and the Beast movie because of the supposed "gay kiss" between two not-super-main characters in a very brief section of the movie, but not even the slightest hesitation about the two main characters being a gal falling in romantic love with an animal.   :lol:

• Like 5

I got a chuckle out of all the gasps about the recent Beauty and the Beast movie because of the supposed "gay kiss" between two not-super-main characters in a very brief section of the movie, but not even the slightest hesitation about the two main characters being a gal falling in romantic love with an animal. :lol:

Me too!! I know, I just had to scratch my head and sigh. My daughter and I went and saw it at the theater on a mommy/daughter day out and loved it to bits. Everyone else's loss on that one. Great movie :)

Edited by nixpix5
  • Like 1

In response to the bolded, no one changes Christmas to Happy Holiday. It's "Happy Holidays" because there are a ton of celebrations from Thanksgiving to New Year's - Hannakuh (sp?), Christmas, Yule, Solstice, Kwanzaa. I'm a Christian and celebrate Christmas (both religiously and secularly), and I say Happy Holidays in public because who knows what that person is celebrating.

Good point. :)

Well, I'm glad you pointed out her hypocrisy.

My church, which is Lutheran, does a trick-or-trunk connected with Reformation Day.  That said, they also have class Halloween parties in which kids are allowed to wear [most] Halloween costumes.  I have never heard that we weren't supposed to dress up and trick-or-treat.

What really annoys me is when people say to me, "you are practicing Satanism unintentionally because you do xyz".   I have had people IRL tell me this and it drives me bananas.

If YOU don't like Halloween, or Easter or WHATEVER and think that you are worshiping Satan by trick or treating, then good for you.  Honestly, and truly.  Don't trick or treat, eat a chocolate bunny or have a Christmas tree because you have a personal problem with it.  Do what you want, and don't hurt anyone, and we're good. 

BUT, DO NOT tell me that I am "accidentally" worshiping Satan by doing those things.   I cannot accept that by filling a Christmas stocking I am being tricked into worshiping Satan.  It's utter insanity.  Someone actually told me that I was promoting Satanism with my phallic symbol Christmas tree.   And I can't cope with stuff like this.   Beyond whether Satan exists or whatever, I really feel that worshiping Satan has got to be a deliberate act.   I have a hard time believing anyone can worship Satan by mistake.   I don't know whether to laugh or cry over the idea that we stumble around in life "accidentally" worshiping Satan!

FWIW, if someone is deliberately worshiping Satan with their phallic Christmas tree, I don't think I have any right to tell them that it's just a Christmas tree either.... :lol:

• Like 6

I'm deeply concerned about the kinds of phalluses this person has been exposed to...

Me too!

My thought was, everyone who plants a fir tree is worshiping Satan?   Or is it just when they are chopped down?   Which then makes me go right to Lorena Bobbit.

I mean, I didn't even know how to process this at the time...

I don't mean to make fun of people who believe certain holidays have pagan roots, and they don't feel like they want to promote that.  That's totally ok with me.  But, I am allowed to make my own choices about what a chopped down tree in my living room means to me.

I wanted to tell this person that Ceres, the god of wheat is what cereal is named after.   Therefore every time you say, "Please pass the cereal" you are worshiping the god of wheat.   But I restrained myself.

• Like 5

This came up in a local homeschool group.  They don't celebrate Halloween or Trick or Treat, but her kid loves to dress-up.  So ON HALLOWEEN, they did a "Homeschool Dress-Up Day" with costumes and snacks.  

I don't really care but call it what it is - a Halloween party by any other name......

We didn't go partially because they said "No bloody or evil costumes" and I think my daughter's would probably be considered evil by at least some people and I decided to not even go there.  (she was a FNAF character).

What really annoys me is when people say to me, "you are practicing Satanism unintentionally because you do xyz".   I have had people IRL tell me this and it drives me bananas.

If YOU don't like Halloween, or Easter or WHATEVER and think that you are worshiping Satan by trick or treating, then good for you.  Honestly, and truly.  Don't trick or treat, eat a chocolate bunny or have a Christmas tree because you have a personal problem with it.  Do what you want, and don't hurt anyone, and we're good. 

BUT, DO NOT tell me that I am "accidentally" worshiping Satan by doing those things.   I cannot accept that by filling a Christmas stocking I am being tricked into worshiping Satan.  It's utter insanity.  Someone actually told me that I was promoting Satanism with my phallic symbol Christmas tree.   And I can't cope with stuff like this.   Beyond whether Satan exists or whatever, I really feel that worshiping Satan has got to be a deliberate act.   I have a hard time believing anyone can worship Satan by mistake.   I don't know whether to laugh or cry over the idea that we stumble around in life "accidentally" worshiping Satan!

FWIW, if someone is deliberately worshiping Satan with their phallic Christmas tree, I don't think I have any right to tell them that it's just a Christmas tree either.... :lol:

Um, just wanted to point out that your post sounds an awful lot like what Paul said in Romans 14... you know, something from the Bible... and most Christians say they follow the Bible... (though apparently not the mom the OP encountered)  ;)

I've copied two verses, but anyone can read the whole passage, of course!

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Romans+14&version=ESV

"One person esteems one day as better than another, while another esteems all days alike. Each one should be fully convinced in his own mind."

"22 The faith that you have, keep between yourself and God. Blessed is the one who has no reason to pass judgment on himself for what he approves."

• Like 3