Menu

Favorite Library Bag

domestic_engineer

We got a multi-pack of those 12x12" canvas bags in the craft section at Walmart.  We usually use three per library run, but may go up to four soon.  They don't last forever, but they are washable, they take a lot of abuse, and they're cheap enough to replace every few years.  When they wear out, it's usually a hole in the bottom from book corners.  We used fabric paint to decorate some of them, but that was just for fun.

• Like 1

The Land's End tote that I have wins in the sturdiness category, but it is less flexible than my favorite canvas bag and the Land's End tote has a notable weight even when it is empty. As a further detraction, I wish I had longer handshakes on my Land's End tote, I can't comfortably wear it over my shoulder.

• Like 1

The lands end tote should have strap length options. They just sent out a 40% coupon in catalogs, good through 11/8 btw.

My bag is big (and hence heavy when full), so I could never wear it over my shoulder, mercy. I'd totally mess up my neck, lol. A larger back helps distribute the weight, making the load feel lighter. Like even if you can cram them in, the books will *feel* lighter with the larger bag. So my two cents is go big.

LL Bean has a tote that is more vertical. I got one for my dd and like it, but I prefer the wider bag. 

• Like 1

OP here .... I've thought about Canvas bags from LL Bean or Lands End, but will they attract pet hair like crazy?  I'd love to show off our love for books without showcasing my lack of housekeeping skills.  Sigh.  Anybody have experience with LL Bean's Nylon totes?

And DC will be carrying it by themselves, so the bag itself hopefully won't be weighty.

OP here .... I've thought about Canvas bags from LL Bean or Lands End, but will they attract pet hair like crazy? I'd love to show off our love for books without showcasing my lack of housekeeping skills. Sigh. Anybody have experience with LL Bean's Nylon totes

And DC will be carrying it by themselves, so the bag itself hopefully won't be weighty.

When I was in high school we all used Bean bags for our books instead of backpacks (and we had a lot of books, lol). They were the plain off-white canvas bags with colored straps. Over the years they acquired plenty of scuffs, but I never noticed pet hairs particularly. At the time, our family had three dogs with variously-colored hair. I'm sure the bags picked up a few hairs, but they weren't really noticeable. YMMV.

I'm now over 50, and that Bean bag is still strong and usable.

• Like 4

OP here .... I've thought about Canvas bags from LL Bean or Lands End, but will they attract pet hair like crazy? I'd love to show off our love for books without showcasing my lack of housekeeping skills. Sigh. Anybody have experience with LL Bean's Nylon totes?

I have three cats and I’ve never had a problem - it really doesn’t stick to it. It’s a heavier canvas than most tote bags and I think that’s why. Edited by TechWife
  • Like 2

I have a bag made out of sail cloth that we use for library books. Similar to this https://www.sailmakerssupply.com/product/sailcloth-tote-large/bags but I won ours in a contest so it says Gorton Fish on the side  :laugh: . It's super sturdy.

Gorton Fish!!!  love it!  :D

We should have a spinoff thread on what EXACTLY is on our library bags.  

SaveSave

• Like 1

We use the extra large L.L. Bean totes. They hold a ton (like 50+ picture books). It was not atypical for us to have it completely stuffed back when the kids were little. Now that we get less picture books it is full but not as stuffed. We have one for each kid (we use them for other stuff also) and have had the oldest one for 14 years. It is just as sturdy as it was when we first got it. A little more dingy and scuffed but still sturdy. :)

ETA: We have a dog and I haven’t noticed a huge amount of hair on the bags. We do keep them in a closet in a bedroom where the dog doesn’t hang out much. (Not on purpose, it’s just where they are stored). 

Edited by Alice
  • Like 2

Depends on the amount of books.  I like my Bell bike basket that I got at a yard sale for $1.  Metal, sturdy, and also clips nicely on the bike that was given to me.  My 12 year old likes to ride my bike down to the library every week, so it works really well.   I also have a 31 tote that fits a lot of books. 

I just had flashbacks to middle school. EVERYBODY had one of those.

I don't use the library much for print books anymore (though I use it often for ebooks and audio books) but I still love my library bags. They're heavy canvas bags that the Friends of the Library group sells. 

:iagree: 

Our library was changing to a new color/logo on their bags and sold off the old ones they would check out to patrons for $1. They are perfect for books and groceries--super heavy canvas, no breaking off of straps, wash up well, etc. 

• Like 2

I’m another canvas bag user, but I got mine from a Frontier Co-op buying club several years ago. I have two cats and a Golden and have not noticed it collecting pet hair. My fleece jacket on the other hand? It should be clear that I have pets. ;)

In our picture book days I used a large canvas tote I got from Williams & Sonoma.

• Like 1

I just use sturdy canvas tote bags and machine wash them as needed.

Yes, this.

We have a few of the LLBean canvas tote bags, and they work pretty well.  They're bulky for storing, but they make a nice stand-up bag, ready and waiting.  They can get heavy if they're full though.

The campus where my dad taught changed their bookstore and gave away a bunch of very nice canvas tote bags.  He brought me a bunch of them, and they're perfect.  Not too big but hold a bunch, and they're really sturdy.  They fold up nicely, so I keep them stashed everywhere, and they wash nicely.  They have long-ish straps (about 24" total, one on each side), enough that they can go over a shoulder easily but without being too long.  And when they're full, they're not too heavy for kids most of the time.  They're about 14" tall and almost 18" wide, which makes them very nice for children's picture books as well as chapter books, with a small gusset on the bottom.

Aha!  I just looked at the tag; it's from EnviroTote.  It's pretty similar to this one: https://enviro-tote.com/shoulder-tote

(Darn.  It looks like they'd only be available in lots of 50.  If I ever need more, I'd be tempted to do a co-op for them.)

Edited by happypamama
  • Like 2

The campus where my dad taught changed their bookstore and gave away a bunch of very nice canvas tote bags. He brought me a bunch of them, and they're perfect. Not too big but hold a bunch, and they're really sturdy. They fold up nicely, so I keep them stashed everywhere, and they wash nicely. They have long-ish straps (about 24" total, one on each side), enough that they can go over a shoulder easily but without being too long. And when they're full, they're not too heavy for kids most of the time. They're about 14" tall and almost 18" wide, which makes them very nice for children's picture books as well as chapter books, with a small gusset on the bottom.

Aha! I just looked at the tag; it's from EnviroTote. It's pretty similar to this one: https://enviro-tote.com/shoulder-tote

(Darn. It looks like they'd only be available in lots of 50. If I ever need more, I'd be tempted to do a co-op for them.)

Maybe you can get Peace Hill Press to buy a batch to sell on their website.

• Like 1

I have a Rachel and the Treeschoolers canvas tote from a treeschoolers kickstarter a few years ago. It works great and zippers across the top so books don't slide all over my trunk. It hasn't been big enough lately, though. I need to get a couple more totes of some sort for the kids to spread out the books a bit. These days we're walking out with the bag stuffed and each of us has a pile in our arms.