Menu

wait and see approach to ear infection

maize

My two year old has an ear infection, single side. The Dr gave me an antibiotic prescription yesterday but confirmed that the current medical advice is that it may be better to let her get over it on her own unless things get worse.

So I haven't filled the prescription yet. She's been running a fever between 102 and 103 and is obviously pretty miserable but apparently not experiencing a lot of ear pain. She's refusing ibuprofen.

Just wondering if anyone has taken the wait and see approach to an ear infection and what their experience was.

• Like 1

I usually wait and see. Our docs have been doing that for a few years.

I have one child that mildly complains of ear pain, then it gets acute quickly. That happened one time with him in the night, and we did comfort measures and put him to bed. A few hours later, he woke with a cry, and it began to ooze out of his ear. His eardrum had perforated. That's like worst case scenario, and the doc was all, welll.....no big deal. He has not shown adverse affects from that.

Edited by Zinnia
  • Like 2

When I took the wait and see approach, it resulted in two ruptured eardrums, two trips to the doctor (to get antibiotics and then to check on the status of the eardrums), and a trip to the audiologist that included a full hearing test in a sound proof room.

• Like 5

If I were going to try wait and see, I'd probably at least go with Vitamin C to tolerance(by mouth) and some warm garlic oil or garlic in olive oil in the ears.  I've had some reasonably okay experiences with alternatives to antibiotics rx, but not really good experience with doing nothing for an ear.

• Like 1

A Chiro visit usually clears them up quickly.

:iagree:

If I were going to try wait and see, I'd probably at least go with Vitamin C to tolerance(by mouth) and some warm garlic oil or garlic in olive oil in the ears.  I've had some reasonably okay experiences with alternatives to antibiotics rx, but not really good experience with doing nothing for an ear.

:iagree:

Prior to my youngest getting her cochlear implant, I took a “wait 2-3 days before filling the prescriptionâ€. It was about 50/50 it clearing up on its own vs. needing antibiotics. No ruptured eardrum or anything like that.

Now with the implant, she needs antibiotics straight away because an infection could lead to meningitis. Fortunately she is old enough to be past peak susceptibility for infection

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Studies have shown that ear infections tend to get better in the same amount of time if you take antibiotics or if you don't. I took the wait and see approach with my dds when they were small but definitely gave them pain medication - ibuprofen if possible to help with the inflammation. If dd seemed really unwell we would then start the antibiotics, but I found that if she fought it off herself it was usually longer before the next one. I'm all for not giving antibiotics if at all possible, but of course giving them if they really were necessary.

• Like 2

I still get them fairly frequently as an adult and the wait and see approach has never resulted in them clearing up on their own for me.  And for my kids....it seemed like every time I took them in for a well child appointment, they had an ear infection but weren't complaining about it.  If it was bad enough that they were complaining, it was REALLY bad.

• Like 1

Our ped recommended garlic oil as a first line of treatment (you basically simmer garlic cloves in olive oil and then put a few drops, warm not hot, into the ear canal.)  The garlic has antibiotic properties.   

If it didn't clear up by I want to say 4 days, then we were to fill the Rx.  Of course, use tylenol for pain/fever relief too. 

• Like 2

We always did wait and see with our kids.  It generally worked out fine, but my kids weren't very prone to ear infections.  Younger dd commented the other day that she's never taken antibiotics, which hadn't crossed my mind.

I used to have a book on the subject https://www.amazon.com/Healing-Childhood-Ear-Infections-Alternative/dp/155643216X which I think listed various other ideas to try.  

OTOH,  dh always tended to have sort of swampy ears, which get infected and need antibiotics -- his sister (who has the same issue) says she was told it had something to do with the shape of their Eustachian tubes.  SIL goes to a chiropractor who apparently deals appropriately with it for her.  Other than that, wait-and-see doesn't work for them.

Actually, now that I think about it, dh hasn't had an ear infection for a really long time.  Interesting.  He does a lot of diet and health things.

My mom always took a wait and see approach with me and each and every time my ear drums ruptured. I continued to get infections every 6-8 months well into my 30s - the kind of pain that even vicodin doesn't touch. Now my ears have so much scar tissue that I can't equalize my ears, and have hearing issues. I will never wait and see with ear pain.

Me either. My parents never treated anything unless it got terribly serious. I still get ear infections. Only one of my kids has ever had one. But I find mine are excruciating painful. It feels like someone is constantly knifing my eardrum. And the drops in the ear? Burns like salt in a wound.

I don’t think antibiotics are for every sniffle, but I always fill antibiotics for ears.

• Like 1

I'm definitely not a run-to-the-doctor-for-every-little-thing type of person, but I don't mess around with ear infections. It's not worth the risk for me. An ear infection is one thing I always want to actively treat.

Edited by MercyA

I would still give ibuprofen for a high fever and a “pretty miserable†child.

My kids were fortunate as neither one had ear infections except for a couple bouts of swimmer’s ear. I usually don’t take them (or myself) to the doctor until after the “wait and see†period has elapsed, so I’ve never not filled a prescription.

I always did that---and that was 15-20 years ago. (My guys are grown.)  I rarely filled the antibiotic.  I did make sure we had a prescription for pain-relieving drops. Had the pain been bad, I would have filled the prescription. 

However, your child has a significantly elevated fever. Was it that high at the doctor's when s/he said wait and see? What parameters did the doctor give you for what symptoms would necessitate the antibiotic? 

Our ped recommended garlic oil as a first line of treatment (you basically simmer garlic cloves in olive oil and then put a few drops, warm not hot, into the ear canal.) The garlic has antibiotic properties.

If it didn't clear up by I want to say 4 days, then we were to fill the Rx. Of course, use tylenol for pain/fever relief too.

My mom did this for us in the 1960s. They always cleared up, no antibiotics needed.

I always did that---and that was 15-20 years ago. (My guys are grown.)  I rarely filled the antibiotic.  I did make sure we had a prescription for pain-relieving drops. Had the pain been bad, I would have filled the prescription. 

However, your child has a significantly elevated fever. Was it that high at the doctor's when s/he said wait and see? What parameters did the doctor give you for what symptoms would necessitate the antibiotic? 

Yes, the fever was there at the doctor visit.

The doctor said if she seemed to be getting worse OR was not getting better within two or three days to give the antibiotic.

We are an ear infection prone family, I'm guessing something about the shape of the eustachian tubes. Also at least one child had overgrown adenoids that were blocking 95% of his nasal passage and had to be removed--seems that could contribute to ear infections as well. That child had ruptured ear drums and we don't know from when (just that scarring is visible)--I know he was treated for multiple infections.  We have usually treated, but they were also almost always double infections and the guidelines on that in young children recommend treatment. This child hasn't had them before though, at least not that I remember. I really don't want to mess up gut bacteria unnecessarily.

She's still running a fever but I don't think as high. She's up and playing.