Menu

Bundt Pan, do you have one?

DawnM

I gave both of mine away in the great purge of Spring, 2017.  Both were given to me and I didn't much use them.

But then I found a couple of recipes that call for using one.

Can I just use a regular pan instead (actually I did for the pound cake last week) or should I consider getting another one at some point, or will most recipes still work in a traditional 9x13?

I do have a bundt pan, but I'm pretty sure a 9x13 is comparable size.  The baking time will likely be shorter.

I was curious so I looked up pan substitutes:    http://dish.allrecipes.com/cake-pan-size-conversions/

ETA: I like having a bundt pan 'cause I like the way they look, and they are easy to serve.  But, you know, cake is cake, and sheet cake is better than no cake at all.  :-)

Edited by marbel
  • Like 4

Thanks.  At some point I will replace it, but since we are most likely moving soon, it will be one of those "for a later date" items.  Kind of mad I got rid of both of them, although I donated both to good causes.....

I do like the way they look too!

• Like 1

Thanks.  At some point I will replace it, but since we are most likely moving soon, it will be one of those "for a later date" items.  Kind of mad I got rid of both of them, although I donated both to good causes.....

I do like the way they look too!

They are pretty!  I rarely use mine, but I like it when I do use it.

• Like 1

I didn't. It's funny that I didn't because I used bake all the time.

My friend down sized her house her in Northern Virginia for a move to Palo Alto. Over a three month period, she gave me a high boy, a dining room table, and a Bundt pan.

The Bundt pan does make things look pretty. I don't use it a lot and I don't bake as much as I used to, but I'm keeping it (I'm not moving).

• Like 1

I do now. My mom just gave me one for my birthday. The only thing I've ever considered getting one for is her poppyseed cake. But I've solved that problem by just asking her to make it sometimes when we get together.

So now I have one and I can't get rid of it. Because what if someday I do want/need to make that cake?

• Like 1

I gave both of mine away in the great purge of Spring, 2017.  Both were given to me and I didn't much use them.

But then I found a couple of recipes that call for using one.

Can I just use a regular pan instead (actually I did for the pound cake last week) or should I consider getting another one at some point, or will most recipes still work in a traditional 9x13?

Some recipes calling for bundt pans will not work in 9x13 pans or sheet pans.  The purpose of the shape of the bundt pan is to allow a certain thickness to the overall cake while ensuring more even cooking throughout.  Without that center hole the center of the cake might not finish baking before the edges dry out, or if you are baking as a sheet cake, you might not have enough depth for the intended structure.

You will need to examine each recipe to see what other sort of pans you can use.  Loaf pans will work for some, and might be a viable option for filled cakes (cakes with a center portion different from the exterior portion).

We have two bundt pans at our house, a good thick one and a cheaper thin one.  We don't make cakes very often, but my DH and DD like to use them for monkey bread for special occasions, and that shape of pan has come in handy for several non-baked goods purposes.  When in a pinch I have even turned one upside-down and placed a plate on top for an elevated serving option on a buffet table.  They are also helpful as cooling racks for hot sheet pans or cookie sheets when needed.

• Like 4

I don't have an Angel Food Cake Pan, a Bundt Pan, or a Springform cheesecake pan.

In the past, I've just borrowed from others as needed.

I bake a lot of cakes . . . just not with those types of pans.

I have a large kitchen, but all our cabinets are filled to bursting with other items!

• Like 2

I've put bundt pan cakes in both loaf pans and 9x13 pans. Watch the 9x13 for overbaking, it'll bake faster. Tunnel cakes can be done in loaf pans, just the end piece won't have much of a tunnel. 

I'd test or have a backup dessert (I use butterscotch brownies for this because they are SO fast) planned in case a catastrophe happens, but the only catastrophe I've ever had happen is burning the cake because I forgot to set the timer short. 

• Like 1

Oh, I like that pan, it might delineate the size of slices......but knowing my boys they would cut 3 of those dents for their piece, so maybe not.

Snort.

That reminds me of the time my teenage cousin thought the ribs in the Christmas rib roast indicated a serving...And he took a quarter of the meat... the total of which was to serve 12.

• Like 1

I had one. I don't know if it got taken to the attic (why???) or sold in yard sale or taken to goodwill. Just know it's not in my kitchen. It was a good heavy one too.

I have a tube pan (angel food cake pan) in the kitchen. My onions are sitting in it. (again why???)

Maybe it got sent to the cornfield?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/It%27s_a_Good_Life_(The_Twilight_Zone)

• Like 1

Some recipes calling for bundt pans will not work in 9x13 pans or sheet pans. The purpose of the shape of the bundt pan is to allow a certain thickness to the overall cake while ensuring more even cooking throughout. Without that center hole the center of the cake might not finish baking before the edges dry out, or if you are baking as a sheet cake, you might not have enough depth for the intended structure.

You will need to examine each recipe to see what other sort of pans you can use. Loaf pans will work for some, and might be a viable option for filled cakes (cakes with a center portion different from the exterior portion).

We have two bundt pans at our house, a good thick one and a cheaper thin one. We don't make cakes very often, but my DH and DD like to use them for monkey bread for special occasions, and that shape of pan has come in handy for several non-baked goods purposes. When in a pinch I have even turned one upside-down and placed a plate on top for an elevated serving option on a buffet table. They are also helpful as cooling racks for hot sheet pans or cookie sheets when needed.

While I've never tried my favorite Bundt cake in a regular pan, I have the feeling it might be less cooked in the center. Also, with a Bundt pan, there is icing on more sides of a slice. I will link my favorite recipe, sweet potato caked with brown sugar icing, which is a Thanksgiving must at our house.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/spiced-sweet-potato-cake-with-brown-sugar-icing-104322

Edited by Alessandra
  • Like 2

do you have an angel food cake pan?   I'd use that.   (I have 'slip-bottom'/two-piece angel food cake pan I use to the point I keep thinking about getting a better quality pan.   it's mostly used for fruit cake.)

eta: i have a bundt pan - don't remember the last time it was used.

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 1

I didn't have one until about a year ago. I like that I can make a cake in the bundt pan and not need to properly frost it to make it look presentable. Makes the dessert portion of a hosted dinner easier. 

And in that "lovely" spaghetti-o recipe, I'd think the bundt pan shape would make the "meal" look more fun, and less "ewwwwwwww..."

• Like 1

Wait, are you all saying a tube pan is an angel cake pan?  I found a recipe that said to use a tube pan and I thought it meant a literal tube.

In Africa we used to make bread and cakes in old coffee cans sometimes and I thought that is what was meant by a tube pan.

Man, the things you learn.....

Wait, are you all saying a tube pan is an angel cake pan?  I found a recipe that said to use a tube pan and I thought it meant a literal tube.

In Africa we used to make bread and cakes in old coffee cans sometimes and I thought that is what was meant by a tube pan.

Man, the things you learn.....

yes, an angel food cake pan is also called a "tube cake" pan. - it has a "tube" sticking up in the center for heat distribution.

I've made boston brown bread in a coffee can. (traditional accompaniment to boston baked beans)  it's actually steamed - not baked.   now I use a bread pan, covered tightly with foil.

• Like 1

I need it for this:

i highly recommend this for dieters.   no temptation to cheat - and you just killed my appetite. . . .

dsil would make tomato aspic for thanksgiving .. . no one, and I *mean* NO ONE, would even look at it twice.   which is more than could be said for her brussels sprouts that would come to the table late because she didn't have them ready when the rest of the meal was being served.

• Like 1

I was thinking of this, too! I actually was thinking of making bundt cakes for Christmas presents for the neighbors this year with a flower arrangement in the middle. Would that be too weird? Or maybe a jar candle in the middle?

I have multiple bundt pans--sand castle, cathedral window, bumpy, six mini pan... I love making bundt cakes because I don't have to perfectly ice them. I also like to make pumpkin cakes for Halloween by putting two bundt together. So not everyone has a cupboard simply for bundt pan storage?

And thanks for the link to the year of the bundt. So excited!!!

"This cake has a hole in it!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPvO53JHnmY

I love my bundt pan. As others have said, it's nice for quick breads like banana and pumpkin and makes a pretty cake with no fuss.

• Like 2

yes, an angel food cake pan is also called a "tube cake" pan. - it has a "tube" sticking up in the center for heat distribution.

I've made boston brown bread in a coffee can. (traditional accompaniment to boston baked beans)  it's actually steamed - not baked.   now I use a bread pan, covered tightly with foil.

Wow, who knew?

Well, I guess the rest of you did!  :lol:

Yes, I have one. I love how they look, too.

Plus, I think some cakes *belong* in a Bundt pan, like Tunnel of Fudge or a rum cake.I

This year, King Arthur flour is having a year of the Bundt. Recipes are yummy!

(If I'm being a clutter enabler, ignore me!)

Their gingerbread bundt cake is one of my very favorite recipes ever. 

• Like 1