Menu

Need help working up the courage and emotional energy to change eating habits

DesertBlossom

How do you it? I keep telling myself I really need to cut back on the carbs and junk. I have put on about 10 pounds in the last few months and never lost all the baby weight from last year. I am currently about 40 pounds heavier than where I would like to be. I know what's healthy and what's not, I just can't bring myself to make lasting changes to my diet. I am an emotional eater. And I need things that are convenient. I don't necessarily want to be making myself a separate dinner from what I feed my family.

Also, when it comes to food my personality is apparently all or nothing. I managed to do Atkins a few years ago and a Whole30. But those take a lot of work and commitment, it seems. Just when I decide I am going to make some changes, I quickly cave when I get stressed out or bored or whatever.

So how do you do it? How do you make those lasting changes in order to get the weight off and keep it off?

Edited by DesertBlossom
  • Like 3

I think you have to figure out what works for you. Which may or may not be what works for anyone else.

For myself -- I mostly have to take things one meal or one snack at a time. Or certainly no more than a day at a time.

I focus on how I feel and how I'll feel after I eat something. Physically, yes. That's very important to me! But also how I'll feel mentally and emotionally about what I ate. I wish those two didn't have to figure into my equation but they do. Sometimes that means fixing myself something different. Tonight I'm fixing DH and DS18 something they love but it's not something my body can handle. Not so much the calories since I could just eat a smaller portion than they'll have. But the foods themselves make me feel not so good afterwards. So I'll be having a salad instead. And for the most part I've made peace with meals like that. Sure I give in and splurge sometimes and I fully "allow" myself to do that. But mostly I really do prioritize how I'll feel afterwards, and it works fairly well for me.

Good luck!

Edited by Pawz4me
  • Like 5

I'm working on cutting out carbs. What I do is make the main part of the meal for all of us (meat & veg) and then have rice or noodles on the side for the rest of the family. I really miss fresh bread. What motivates me to continue is that I feel better. 

• Like 1

For me, journaling was key. I actually wrote in a journal about why I had gained the weight, how I felt about it, what my goals were, and why I wanted to lose weight.

I am normally *NOT* a journal/diary kinda gal, so this was new territory for me. It helped me SO much! I don't know why, but there was something about writing it down that really helped engage my mind in the process. IME, 95% of weight loss is mental. I have to be fully engaged and motivated or I'll lose steam quickly and never reach my goals.

I keep the journal in a nightstand and still write in it periodically even though I've been at my goal weight for years now.

Edited by GinaPagnato
  • Like 4

If you figure it out, please post. It's so hard. I spend so much mental energy trying to stay focused, make good choices, etc. In the end, I seem doomed to make the same mistakes. I have managed to quit gaining, so.... progress? I've lost before, but it seems impossible to me now. Short of someone locking me up somewhere.

• Like 2

I'm all or nothing but I learned to cut back when I joined Weight Watchers. It wasn't easy, I'll admit but it did become easier. I denied myself nothing. If I had to deny myself I felt like I was on a diet and that mentality didn't work for me. I found low calorie bread I really like which was important. I still eat potatoes and rice but I only have half a cup and am satisfied with that. I did give up drinking my calories though. I continued to have soda and chocolate milk when I joined WW because I didn't want to deny myself so I worked them into my daily budget. One day I realized that I could have food instead of that soda and probably enjoy it more, so I became a water drinker that day. I found a low calories hot chocolate that is only like 50 calories for one cup, so I do have a hot drink which helps me when I'm in the mood to munch and I don't want to eat mindlessly. I rarely have hot tea, but that works too.

You just have to find that mentality that sits well with you. It's trial and error. When I joined WW, it was the 3rd time in 2 years. I was determined the 3rd try was the charm. I was ready for the changes.

• Like 3

I know how hard it is when you're exceptionally busy or stressed. I can't stick to the plan when there's just too much going on in life. Things calm down over the summer here, so I'm motivated to make it a healthy one. I find I'm motivated more by health goals rather than just wanting to lose weight. My current goal is trying to lower my cholesterol over the next 6 months for instance (it tested fairly high in May). I don't want heart disease!! A few things that work for me:

-using MyFitnessPal to track my goals. If I don't track, I eat too much. If I can see how many calories I've had today, how much fiber and protein, I can tell myself "that's enough" or fill in nutritional gaps, like have a yogurt for more protein or fruit for fiber.

-I track #calories, saturated fat, protein, fiber, and sodium (which dh has to watch).

-I take Sundays off--no tracking, eat a dessert, have some butter on my bread, etc.

-exercise 5 days a week. Even just a walk counts. I'd like to increase to 6 days but right now 5 is my habit. I try to do some strength training too.

-sometimes there may be "low hanging fruit", meaning a change that is pretty easy to make but has a big impact. I used to never drink soda and at some point I got in the habit of having soda several times a week. It was easy for me to drop that back to once a week. Whether it's an ice-cream-every-night habit or fast food habit or sugary cereal habit, there might be something that isn't too hard to drop or switch to something healthier.

-focus on health--you want to be around to enjoy your grandchildren, so take the steps necessary to maximize your odds.

-Everyone has bad days. Start over again the next day. Every Monday is a new week!

Edited by Ali in OR
  • Like 2

Well, I won't claim I've got it figured out.  No way, I don't.  Some things that are helping me these days is I cook low carb foods for everyone.  I do not make separate meals.  If people want high carb anything they have to make it themselves.  I avoid going out to eat often because it's difficult to eat low carb.  I allow myself some high carb meals (usually when I go out to eat) so I don't feel like I can't ever have certain things ever again.  I'm sensible about it though.  Usually it involves having a side that I love that I can't normally have.  I've thrown myself into making it interesting.  I make the foods I can have taste really good.  I bought cookbooks because I love to cook so I didn't want to give up that hobby...KWIM? 

It did take some build up mentally to get started.  I do have some mental moments still sometimes.  I take each of those moments one at a time.

I enjoy low carb foods though.  That part isn't a problem for me.  I do know some people just don't prefer them.  I have no recommendations for that other than barring health reasons, maybe find something that works for you that is not low carb.  Lot of diabetes in my family so I've eaten low carb for years hoping to avoid it (so far so good).  I just wasn't eating low enough to lose weight.  I'm close to goal...very very close.  I am trying to figure out how to handle maintaining and moving forward.  This is the hardest part IMO. 

• Like 1

I think I finally had to accept that managing my weight is a job. It's not fun. It's not easy. I haven't gotten used to it. I have been working at it, like a separate job, in addition to everything else I have to do, every day for about 3 years now. It's the only way I can maintain the focus I need to keep it going. Fortunately, I am highly motivated by results, and I have gotten them. But it certainly is not easy. I don't know anyone who has had to fight their body and cravings tooth and nail AND having any fun. Not me.

• Like 7

I read an interesting blog the other day that said the key to changing habits is tracking it. So, he would say write down everything you eat every day. He says that just the act of logging it forces you to be aware of it. (He mostly used budgeting as his example, but I think it goes for a lot of things) This is his blog, if you want to take a look.

http://www.raptitude.com/

The only thing that has ever worked for me is focusing on what TO eat instead of what NOT TO eat. So I would try to eat more of the good foods instead of less of the unhealthy ones.

Edited by TABmom
  • Like 3

See I don't track anything.  This is one thing I am very adamantly against doing because I know I would quit.  But I do have tactics for dealing with this.  Basically I focus heavily on paying attention to the amount of food I'm eating by eating until satisfied.  Not stuffed.  I also pay a lot of attention to not eating for reasons other than being hungry.  I'm not an emotional eater so that helps a lot, but sure I might eat if bored or for the hell of it like many people.  I stay hydrated.  I portion things out rather than grab the whole container.  I avoid eating mindlessly while watching TV.   And although I don't particularly enjoy having to be so mindful (being mindless is easier and more fun), it is FAR better for my personality/sanity than tracking stuff.  But I can certainly see how tracking can be helpful and in my own way I "track".  Just thought I'd throw that alternative way of thinking out there. 

• Like 1

I'm right there with ya.

For me, it's key to take one day at a time. If I have a "bad" day or even a "bad" meal, I am tempted to write it all off as too hard and quit. I have to start over at the next meal and keep going. Once I chain a few days or meals together, I gain confidence and it gets easier.

In our house, if Mom can't have self-control around it, it doesn't come in the house. Period. The kids get plenty of treats for special occasions, at Grandma's, at their activities, etc. But we don't buy stuff that *I* will be tempted to binge on and keep it in the pantry. So my kids get fruit and cheese for snacks instead of Goldfish crackers. It's good for them. When I start feeling guilty, I buy them a cheap snack from the vending machine at the Y. ;)

Along the same lines, we do not make multiple meals here (at least for dinner). Everyone eats the same thing. I go for an all-around balanced approach (lean protein/small serving of fruit or starch/large serving of veggies) for meals so that makes it easier, but still somebody complains about dinner most nights. If I really don't feel like dealing with it, I let them make their own sandwich or whatever. They get to choose their own breakfasts and lunches usually, so I don't feel bad about saying they have to eat what I make at dinner.

Also, I find it MUCH easier to choose healthier options if I am drinking plenty of water (seriously, it feels like I'm drowning myself, as I am not a big drinker or anything) and getting lots of hard exercise. A stroll around the block doesn't do it for me (or wouldn't, if we had a block to stroll around, which we don't out here in the boondocks). YMMV, of course.

I've been fighting this battle for years, and my best advice is to do the best you can. Take advantage of the days when you feel strong, and give yourself grace on the days you don't. Just remember on those days that taking one small step, even when you feel completely unmotivated, can be enough to get you over the hump. If it doesn't, well, as my mother says, "Tomorrow is another day, Scarlett."

You can do this!!

• Like 3

Right now I'm tying to add a healthy meal here and there, and find some to start making regularly.

I am looking at recipes.

I have made bean salads in the past and I made some really easy ones this week... I made red lentils with salad dressing and purchased matchstick carrots. This is easy, and gets me closer to doing more prep and doing some kind of seasoning.

I am looking at grain salads.

These are things I actually like and they can be made-ahead easily.

When it is more of a routine I will try to add some more vegetables or greens.

I just try to start slow and with foods I do like, and I go ahead and get the "but I could do it myself" ingredients for a while.

That is my current plan at least.

I am in a pretty bad rut right now with convenience foods.

• Like 1

I've been so frustrated, that I set a very (very) reasonable goal for myself, and even picked out my award if I earned (something I want, can afford, but wouldn't buy for myself otherwise).  And... I've lost zero. No way at this point I can make my goal. I'm running out of ways to trick myself. 

I've tried and succeeded at WW (although I've gained it all back plus some).

I've tried and failed: Whole 30, paleo, LCHF, intermittent fasting, No S, Nutrisystem, Calorie counting.

Tracking *works* for me, but I can't sustain it long term because I just totally burn out on it. It makes me feel like crying, thinking about how much mental energy I expend on this in my life.

And there have been a few times in my life when I've decided to just stop thinking about it. Stop weighing. Stop counting. Each time, I've gained about 15 pounds. I have to expend constant energy to maintain my (fluctuates between overweight and obese BMI) weight. 

Sorry, I'm whining. 

• Like 1

Another thing to consider is maybe don't focus on the weight as much.  Focus on eating foods that make you feel good (health wise).  I'm eating a hell of a lot more healthfully than I was.  Of course I wanted to lose some weight, but the bigger success in my mind was changing my habits.  I can honestly say I prefer healthier foods.  I catch myself craving salads.  This is not to say I don't have my moments, but I think those are often mental moments, not actual cravings for things.

• Like 3

Here is what worked for me: 

Make sure you're getting enough sleep. I think it's important to do this first. Lack of sleep causes you to secrete hormones that make you want to eat. 

Plan ahead. Don't start tomorrow. The act of planning to start can kick-start your motivation. 

Know your "why." It has to be a big "why" if you want to continue it. "Whys" related to appearance or looking good to others generally don't have too much staying power. Whys related to health, feeling better, being able to do certain activities, being able to play with your kids, setting a good example for your kids are the kinds of things that tend to be strong enough. 

Go through your environment.

• Many people are triggered by seeing a particular food so you need to make sure you won't see your trigger foods. Best strategy is to skip that aisle in the grocery store. If there is some reason it must be in the home, store it where you don't see it. (If your family wants it, have someone else keep it in their room or someplace you won't encounter it.) It is totally okay to throw out food that is not good for you. You are saving money by investing in your health. You might want to have a friend help you. 
  • You can also do a couple mind tricks with your dinner ware: Make sure you use small plates (your mind thinks if the plate is full you've eaten more than if it's on a big plate) and also plates in a contrasting color with the food. 
  • Put all food other than a bowl of fruit inside a cabinet.

Plan so that you don't get hungry in the late afternoon. Before you start, purchase some healthy, easy-to-grab snacks like apples/nut butter, other fruits/nuts, hard boiled eggs, etc. Think of protein/fruitorvege/healthy fat combos. 

Stop eating after dinner.  A long break between dinner and breakfast (13 hours or so) and not eating within 3 hours of bedtime are good for your insulin sensitivity. 

Start to exercise in a way you enjoy. The point is not to "burn calories" but to help you feel better. Exercise does all kinds of amazing things for your body (not just the much written about endorphin high.)

I focused on adding fruits and veges till I got 8-10 servings per day. That adds tons of nutrients and is very filling. I found cravings decreased incredibly without somehow having to force myself. I ate some whole grains and lean meat as well. Lost 60 lbs that I've kept off for a few years. 

• Like 3

:grouphug:  :grouphug:

I'm chiming in here because I know exactly how you feel right now.  I think what started my journey with health is a bunch of factors that all came to a head.  

1. I began to realize that I was hurting my kids by modeling poor eating habits and an unhealthy lifestyle.  

2. I was tired of feeling like crap everyday.

3. I couldn't imagine what I would feel like in 10 years if I felt like I did then.  

4. I was tired of being uncomfortable in my skin.  I'm a petite person so carrying  an extra 10 lbs is like carrying 20 for a taller person.  

5.  I was tired of trying to find clothing to hide all my lumps and bumps.  I don't gain weight evenly all over and it showed.

6.  I wanted to practice what I tried to teach my kids. I always told them that if you want something in life you need to work for it.  

I've reached my health goals now and it feels wonderful!  

1. I believe that my kids are eating healthier because I'm eating healthier.

2. I feel so much better in my skin.

3. I feel 25 again!

4. Since I've reclaimed my health, I started to take action on starting my post homeschooling career.  It's almost like I began to see that I have it in me to work hard to reach a long desired goal.  I also have more energy to study for my classes, which I couldn't have done before.  I was so tired and sluggish all the time!  

Don't give up on yourself!  You're worth it!

I need to add that this wasn't easy at all for me.  I'm past 40 now and even when I was younger, it was incredibly difficult to lose weight.  My weight set point is really really stubborn.

Edited by solascriptura
  • Like 3

:grouphug:  I'm trying to commit to start exercising again (#1) and eating more healthy (#2). No one seems to understand why the very thought of this makes me feel like crying.  I need to do it so badly, but I hate it and I hate feeling forced into it by my body.

I feel your pain.

• Like 3

:grouphug:  I'm trying to commit to start exercising again (#1) and eating more healthy (#2). No one seems to understand why the very thought of this makes me feel like crying.  I need to do it so badly, but I hate it and I hate feeling forced into it by my body.

I feel your pain.

I understand.

I can't tell you how many hours I've spent crying and saying, "I just want to be NORMAL." By which I mean, a person who naturally eats relatively healthfully and doesn't have to spend every waking moment thinking about food, along with at least an hour a day in the gym, just to maintain a decent weight. And that kind of energy does not even get me anywhere close to thin. I will never be thin. The best I can hope for is overweight instead of obese or morbidly obese.

On my good days, I realize that this is what it is and I just have to do the best I can with it. On my bad days, well... not so much.

• Like 5

I feel your pain.

:grouphug:

• Like 2

I understand.

I can't tell you how many hours I've spent crying and saying, "I just want to be NORMAL." By which I mean, a person who naturally eats relatively healthfully and doesn't have to spend every waking moment thinking about food, along with at least an hour a day in the gym, just to maintain a decent weight. And that kind of energy does not even get me anywhere close to thin. I will never be thin. The best I can hope for is overweight instead of obese or morbidly obese.

On my good days, I realize that this is what it is and I just have to do the best I can with it. On my bad days, well... not so much.

Yes. This is exactly what I mean. Losing, or even just maintaining, weight is a job for me. If I quit this job, I gain. Full stop.

• Like 4

Yep. I gained 30 pounds a couple of years ago when DH was going through a serious illness (on top of my already all-time high weight). I have not been able to shake it. In fact, it keeps creeping up.

I understand what I need to do -- I just can't seem to muster up the willpower/strength to actually make a real effort.

• Like 1

Rather than cutting things out, try adding good things in. For example, buy a bunch of those (plain) bags of steamable frozen veggies. Two or three times a day, toss one in the microwave. Add a teaspoon of olive oil and some salt and eat the entire bag before eating the rest of your meal. A 12 oz bag of frozen peas is pretty filling but not very many calories, even with some oil on it. This will greatly up your veggie intake and probably crowd out much of the junk you are trying to avoid.

• Like 8

Not pertaining specifically to food, but I have just started listening to an audiobook called Better Than Before, which I probably heard about here on the forums. It talks a lot about habit formation and I am really only into about the third chapter, but I can tell it's going to be very helpful in identifying why I either succeed or do not succeed in trying to acquire new habits and eliminate bad ones. Perhaps you will find it helpful. I borrowed the audiobook from my local library via the access 360 app, so it was free.

Also, when it comes to food my personality is apparently all or nothing. I managed to do Atkins a few years ago and a Whole30. But those take a lot of work and commitment, it seems. Just when I decide I am going to make some changes, I quickly cave when I get stressed out or bored or whatever.

So how do you do it? How do you make those lasting changes in order to get the weight off and keep it off?

Well, if it's something you cannot sustain over the long haul then it's not the thing for you regardless if it works for x group of people. It doesn't matter if Whole30 or Atkins or low carb or whatever is the diet dujour if you can't do it from now and and forever and ever.

I did it by making small changes that started to add up over time and that I could sustain over the long haul, forever and ever, period. It doesn't matter that I lost 30-40lbs in 6 ish months while doing the low carb thing because 6mos is about as long as I could do it. Once I stopped eating that way, I gained all that weight back and then some.

What mattered was that I lost 97 lbs (and counting) by the way that worked for me because there is no magic, one way that works for everybody. And, I knew that I had found the thing that works for me because if I wasn't losing weight, it was easy to maintain the weight I had lost without too much thought.

So give up on the search for the magic way and ignore anyone who tells you that x way is the *only* way. That kind of thinking will only discourage you. Also, weight loss is not a linear function. Your weight will fluctuate up and down. 3 1/2 years in, my graph of weight loss looks like a mountain range if you zoom in.

I'd probably start by logging what you eat. You don't have to do it forever and you don't even have to do it to lose weight, but it's a good place to start. What are you eating? What do you eat a lot of? What don't you eatenough of? Where do the majority of your calories come from? From there, what can you add in? More veggies? More whole grains? Swap fruit for desert? For the record, you don't have to do any of these things. It's just a bunch of things you might consider and that might help you accomplish your goals.

Weight loss is a puzzle. I have treated mine like a science experiment where the n=1 is all that mattered.

• Like 3

*listening in*

I'm currently looking for a therapist. It is dawning on me that I self sabotage. Since my sister's death I've gained a ton and my sugars and blood pressure are way up...still I can't do it. It's really important that I do better.

:grouphug:

• Like 2

*Haven't read all the replies

I got tired of trying to do everything "right".  I don't have time, and I can't be miserable all the time because it takes up energy I don't have.  I decided to just do what I wanted.  For me, it is easier to resist eating too much in the morning/afternoon.  I stay busy and get by on a little of this and a little of that until about 4pm.  By then, I've usually had about 700 calories of whatever I wanted.  It might have been a brownie and a soda, or it might have been cheesesticks and apples.  I literally eat what I want, but just keep the calories low.  At 4pm, I allow myself to just start eating.  I have about an 800 calorie "budget" to spend, and it can take a while to rack that up.  We often go for an after dinner walk, which allows me another 100-200 calories.  I have a large dinner, and dessert most nights.  I'm losing weight pretty quickly, and slowly, my food choices are changing.  I'm more likely to reach for the apple instead of the brownie.  

I'm not saying that my way is what you should do.  Instead, I'm saying you should stop fighting yourself.  Tweak your natural habits to work for you, instead of trying to become something you aren't, especially when you least feel like it.

• Like 4

:grouphug:  :grouphug:

I'm chiming in here because I know exactly how you feel right now.  I think what started my journey with health is a bunch of factors that all came to a head.  

1. I began to realize that I was hurting my kids by modeling poor eating habits and an unhealthy lifestyle.  

2. I was tired of feeling like crap everyday.

3. I couldn't imagine what I would feel like in 10 years if I felt like I did then.  

4. I was tired of being uncomfortable in my skin.  I'm a petite person so carrying  an extra 10 lbs is like carrying 20 for a taller person.  

5.  I was tired of trying to find clothing to hide all my lumps and bumps.  I don't gain weight evenly all over and it showed.

6.  I wanted to practice what I tried to teach my kids. I always told them that if you want something in life you need to work for it.  

I've reached my health goals now and it feels wonderful!  

1. I believe that my kids are eating healthier because I'm eating healthier.

2. I feel so much better in my skin.

3. I feel 25 again!

4. Since I've reclaimed my health, I started to take action on starting my post homeschooling career.  It's almost like I began to see that I have it in me to work hard to reach a long desired goal.  I also have more energy to study for my classes, which I couldn't have done before.  I was so tired and sluggish all the time!  

Don't give up on yourself!  You're worth it!

I need to add that this wasn't easy at all for me.  I'm past 40 now and even when I was younger, it was incredibly difficult to lose weight.  My weight set point is really really stubborn.

Thank you for posting this!

• Like 1

I'm in the same boat as you. Google food addiction and see if it fits you. When I learnt that, yes, I'm addicted to food, in particular higher carb foods, it was quite enlightening and freeing to know it. Carbs, well, the sugars, reward the pleasure centres of our brain in the same way that other addictions do. I won't pretend to know how, specifically, but it makes sense.

So, being a fan of EFT (emotional freedom technique), I googled that and came across this: http://mysticmandy.com/eft-for-food-cravings/

I started doing this 3 times a day, sometimes before meals, other times just whenever. After a week I dropped it to once a day and the effect still kept. I lost weight and bloating (didn't have a scale, so not sure how much, but my clothes fit better). Then, as happens, I had a week away and was busy, so didn't do the tapping and script, and haven't been back to it since then, around a month ago. Regained carb cravings, bloating and clothes are tighter again.

You've given me the prod I needed to get back on it. I hope you try it, and that it also works for you. While I was doing it, I had almost zero cravings for carbs.

I think you could build up so that you no longer needed to tap, but I'd say it'd take more than my two ish weeks. It was an amazing feeling to say 'ahh, no I don't feel like that fillintheblank. Thanks anyway', and really mean it!!!

Anyway...Good luck to you, me, and anyone battling this same struggle!!!

ETA: after the first week, I pretty much just went off the script and tapped as I spoke what appealed to me at the time, but all along the lines of food addiction and feeling powerless to change, then building up to feeling able to make the change. You'll know what you really feel by the release or retention of tension in your chest area. You always know when you've got on the issue by the feeling of tension dissipating.

Edited by Isabella

Rather than cutting things out, try adding good things in. For example, buy a bunch of those (plain) bags of steamable frozen veggies. Two or three times a day, toss one in the microwave. Add a teaspoon of olive oil and some salt and eat the entire bag before eating the rest of your meal. A 12 oz bag of frozen peas is pretty filling but not very many calories, even with some oil on it. This will greatly up your veggie intake and probably crowd out much of the junk you are trying to avoid.

This is a really great tactic.  I often try to start my meal with a small salad and find that by the time I get to the main thing I'm not all that hungry and don't end up eating much.  If I'm craving anything, I'll grab a bowl of raw broccoli and a bit of dip and eat that.  It might not be what I REALLY want, but it's pretty hard to eat too much broccoli.  Lot of chewing.  Hehe

How do you it? I keep telling myself I really need to cut back on the carbs and junk. I have put on about 10 pounds in the last few months and never lost all the baby weight from last year. I am currently about 40 pounds heavier than where I would like to be. I know what's healthy and what's not, I just can't bring myself to make lasting changes to my diet. I am an emotional eater. And I need things that are convenient. I don't necessarily want to be making myself a separate dinner from what I feed my family.

I just did.  I only started about 2 wks ago.  

I am not doing ANY kind of diet - I don't agree with doing diets.

So, here how it was for me:   About two weeks ago I realized that I was the same weight as I was 9 months pregnant with my 3rd kid and that it was 45 lbs heavier than my regular weight.  I went to the mall to buy pants (bc I have NO PANTS) and when I looked at myself - I looked very very fat.  So.....

I just started walking daily.  First for about 10-15 min and now I am up to half an hour of "I-am-sweating-and-can-not-breath" walks. 

I only eat two meals a day, but I never was a breakfast eater

I try not to eat after certain time at night

I think some kind of switch just went off in  my head, bc I can't explain it any other way.  Up until now I was thinking about loosing weight all.the.time, but didn't do anything or did something for a day or two.  But this time it feels different.  I truly can't explain it, I am just doing it

Good luck!!!! It is so so hard

Just commiserating.  I too have gained, mostly from stress-eating, grabbing a handful of carbs when I'm not even hungry.  I know what I need to do also and I feel so much better when I do.  I am determined to climb back on the wagon today.  I need to remind myself that there's no reason I can't do this.  The stress of a medical thing in my family really gets to me, but I need to compartmentalize it.

Well, you sound a lot like me. I eat emotionally. I am an all or nothing person. "Oops, I ate 3 cookies, well, I blew it for the day, might as well eat 10 more". I love carbs,

I started a Low Carb diet back in October with the intention of losing 30 lbs. it's actually carb cycling (2 days of very low carbs, 5 days of moderate). I use a book called "Happy Hormones, Slim Belly" by Jorge Cruise. It's kind of gimmicky, but I like it and it has worked for me.

I have managed to stay on this diet longer than I ever have and have lost 15 lbs. so far. It's not easy, but I will share a few things that keep me motivated,

1) I tell myself I am in this for the long haul and as long as I'm either losing or plateaued, I'm good. The hardest part for me is getting back in the saddle when I fall off. Sometimes it takes a week or two, and I've gained and lost the same 3 lbs. for a while now, but I think I've finally gotten to the point where I can get back at it.

2) I remind myself that I feel better when I don't eat carbs, which is true

3) I look at pictures of myself at my heaviest

4) I keep Atkins frozen dinners on hand for an easy lunch (they'd kind of spendy, but I don't eat them every day)

5) my cooking has had to change a bit, but overall, for me, it's just been making a little extra salad and then just avoiding starchy sides for dinner in my "Slim Days"

6) the thing about carb cycling is that there are only 2 really hard days a week. The other 5 aren't horrible.

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 1

So...I just turned 50 a couple of weeks ago.  I feel like I am running out of time to make a change before menopause fully sets in and it becomes even harder.  It is hard enough already...

I was at Michaels last week looking for t-shirts.  I came across a pretty fitness spiral planner made by Recollections.  It is for 18 months and is undated.  It has a monthly calendar and then weekly pages.  It has space to track meals, glasses of water, health, hours of sleep, weekly goals and a habit tracker.  At the end of each month, it has a monthly review for goals, reflections and achievements.  I'm going to put a picture of me at my heaviest in the back clear pocket to help keep me motivated.  It also has a place in the front to list 3 goals, plan of action, and reward.  I'm going to use it whether I am having a good day or a bad day -- and I'm writing in ink :-)!  I just need to do it!!!

I feel I need to work on one or two habits at a time.  I've done WW in the past with a lot of success, but gained back.  I'm an emotional eater and I'm home with almost 12 year old twin boys all day -- LOL.  Gets a bit emotional at times!

I'm going to start with drinking enough water each day (my sleep will suffer a bit for a while), and trying not to snack on carbs (cookies or chips).  I will replace with fruit or veggies.  Once I'm doing that for a few weeks, I'm going to add in (or remove) something else.  I'm also going to walk and stretch at least 4 times a week.  I've been an all or nothing girl for too long, working on too many things at once and giving up on it all when I fail at one of them.

I have been blessed with decent health so far, but I feel like I'm really pushing it at this point.  My mom died at 62.  I really want to be around longer than that :-( !!

I also want to teach my kids healthy habits!  We talk a lot about making healthy choices, but I don't practice what I preach.  Enough of that.  They are both thin and active, but their diet could certainly use some improvement.

OP, thanks for starting this post.  Good luck to all who are dealing with this. 

ETA:  I have about 40 pounds to lose.  I weigh a few pounds more than my heaviest weight while pregnant with twins.  I only gained 31 pounds with them and they were 13 lbs. 14 oz. combined :-o !!!!  

Edited by mlktwins
  • Like 1

So...I just turned 50 a couple of weeks ago. I feel like I am running out of time to make a change before menopause fully sets in and it becomes even harder. It is hard enough already...

I was at Michaels last week looking for t-shirts. I came across a pretty fitness spiral planner made by Recollections. It is for 18 months and is undated. It has a monthly calendar and then weekly pages. It has space to track meals, glasses of water, health, hours of sleep, weekly goals and a habit tracker. At the end of each month, it has a monthly review for goals, reflections and achievements. I'm going to put a picture of me at my heaviest in the back clear pocket to help keep me motivated. It also has a place in the front to list 3 goals, plan of action, and reward. I'm going to use it whether I am having a good day or a bad day -- and I'm writing in ink :-)! I just need to do it!!!

I feel I need to work on one or two habits at a time. I've done WW in the past with a lot of success, but gained back. I'm an emotional eater and I'm home with almost 12 year old twin boys all day -- LOL. Gets a bit emotional at times!

I'm going to start with drinking enough water each day (my sleep will suffer a bit for a while), and trying not to snack on carbs (cookies or chips). I will replace with fruit or veggies. Once I'm doing that for a few weeks, I'm going to add in (or remove) something else. I'm also going to walk and stretch at least 4 times a week. I've been an all or nothing girl for too long, working on too many things at once and giving up on it all when I fail at one of them.

I have been blessed with decent health so far, but I feel like I'm really pushing it at this point. My mom died at 62. I really want to be around longer than that :-( !!

I also want to teach my kids healthy habits! We talk a lot about making healthy choices, but I don't practice what I preach. Enough of that. They are both thin and active, but their diet could certainly use some improvement.

OP, thanks for starting this post. Good luck to all who are dealing with this.

ETA: I have about 40 pounds to lose. I weigh a few pounds more than my heaviest weight while pregnant with twins. I only gained 31 pounds with them and they were 13 lbs. 14 oz. combined :-o !!!!

Thanks for sharing! I just got back from Michael's with my new fitness tracker!

In a few years my DD will be the age I was when my mom died. I need to do better.

(big group hug) for all of us dealing with this stuff

• Like 1

I've lost 12 pounds and changed my our diet. I do the meal planning, shopping, and cooking.  We all need to eat healthier meals, so everyone in my house is eating better. That means I have to do more cooking. I bought cookbooks that have healthier meals in them.  I don't keep junk food in the house.  We usually only go out once a week for unhealthy food (pizza, burgers, etc.) If we're at some social event we eat whatever we want, but at home it's healthy food.

• Like 1

I've lost 12 pounds and changed my our diet. I do the meal planning, shopping, and cooking. We all need to eat healthier meals, so everyone in my house is eating better. That means I have to do more cooking. I bought cookbooks that have healthier meals in them. I don't keep junk food in the house. We usually only go out once a week for unhealthy food (pizza, burgers, etc.) If we're at some social event we eat whatever we want, but at home it's healthy food.

I do likewise now too. It has helped tremendously. It was just way too tempting to pull out the snacks and wine/beer at night after the kids went to sleep. Now there isn't muc to snack on so I usually just have a flavored seltzer. If we want ice cream now, I force myself to pay more money in the ice cream shop. Since I'm pretty frugal, ice cream stops don't happen too often anymore