Menu

texing 20 year kills 13 people

gardenmom5

did anyone else see this?  anyone use this to talk to their kids about not texting while driving?  

the guy who took the video (you can turn the sound off if you don't want to hear profanity) recorded him for 20 minutes (he stopped just before the crash) while trying to get emergency dispatchers to do something about him.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local/article/Witness-driver-who-hit-church-bus-was-texting-11041354.php

We were nearly hit by texting drivers on US101 and I5 many times. My kids know how scary it is. It used to be just drunken drivers on US101. It is actually quite bad at the US101 highway exit to Google headquarters. We could have taken lots of photos of drivers texting holding their phones.

"“I told him, ‘Son, do you know what you just did?’†Kuchler recalled telling Young. “He just kept saying, ‘I’m sorry. I’m sorry.’â€"

Meanwhile he had spent the past 20 minutes swerving in and out of his lane.

Shame on him.

I don't know how an irresponsible kid has that kind of tank of a truck, but, he should not have been driving such a weapon.

And shame on the police who wouldn't intervene or coordinate help when they were called on due to county lines. 

What a terrible tragedy. 

• Like 3

I watched part of the video- about 6 minutes. It's not like he texted and got distracted once. He was weaving over and over and over dozens of times. Not once did he stop and think, "Gee, I'm over the center line again. Maybe I should put down the phone." Unbelievable. I wonder if he was only texting and wasn't drunk as well.

Edited by Garga
  • Like 6

I watched part of the video- about 6 minutes. It's not like he texted and got distracted once. He was weaving over and over and over dozens of times. Not once did he stop and think, "Gee, I'm over the center line again. Maybe I should put down the phone." Unbelievable. I wonder if he was only texting and wasn't drunk as well.

Seriously. The only thing that was going to stop his texting was an accident. A-hole.

• Like 1

I wish it didn't have to be illegal for people to get that it's dangerous. :/ That's lousy.

Distracted driving already is illegal. If police had gotten to him before the accident, they could have charged him, probably with a few things.

Edited by unsinkable
  • Like 3

We had to call 911 a few weeks ago on a semi-truck driver. We were on the interstate, which thankfully was not busy at all. He was weaving from the far left lane back over to the strip that makes the horrible sound when you drive on it (sorry don't know the name).

Anyway, we just knew he was going to crash, and I almost had a panic attack. DH described the truck to the dispatcher and stayed way back. I don't know if they got him or not, because we exited to a rest stop a few minutes later. They said they were sending a trooper to intercept him, and there was a weigh station soon thereafter. It was a terrifying experience, and I couldn't help but wonder what could have happened had we not noticed how he was weaving and if we'd tried to pass him.

If people are so stupid and selfish as to think it's ok to text and drive, then I'm not sure what can be done, to be honest.

• Like 1

We had to call 911 a few weeks ago on a semi-truck driver. We were on the interstate, which thankfully was not busy at all. He was weaving from the far left lane back over to the strip that makes the horrible sound when you drive on it (sorry don't know the name).

Anyway, we just knew he was going to crash, and I almost had a panic attack. DH described the truck to the dispatcher and stayed way back. I don't know if they got him or not, because we exited to a rest stop a few minutes later. They said they were sending a trooper to intercept him, and there was a weigh station soon thereafter. It was a terrifying experience, and I couldn't help but wonder what could have happened had we not noticed how he was weaving and if we'd tried to pass him.

If people are so stupid and selfish as to think it's ok to text and drive, then I'm not sure what can be done, to be honest.

I call it a rumble strip

"Rumble strips, also known as sleeper lines, rumple strips, alert strips, audible lines, "the corduroy", growlers, "drift lines", "drunk bumps", and "woo woo" boards, are a road safety feature to alert inattentive drivers of potential danger, by causing a tactile vibration and audible rumbling"

• Like 5

I wonder if the people following and calling in to the police wish they'd honked or something each time the guy swerved.  It would have been a lot of honking.  But I wonder if it would have helped?  I think most likely not.  Then the texting driver would have just gotten mad.  But if I had been following him, I would be turning it over and over in my mind if there was some way I could have done something to stop it from happening.  

I mean, we all think, 'Gee that guy'll cause an accident!'  but part of us doesn't believe he really will.  Everything will probably be ok in the end, we think.  And so we don't take strong action, because we want to avoid histrionics and being overly dramatic about things.  

But those poor people in the car saw the accident, and then looked into the dying eyes of the people on the bus afterwards.  That's gonna be very, very hard to get past.  I'm not blaming them.  I'm just imagining that I would be thinking over and over to myself, "Was there anything else I could have done? It didn't seem like he'd *really* hurt anyone, but now that I know that he did...what should I have done?"  I would be reliving it over and over and kicking myself thinking, "Maybe if I'd honked, he would have gotten mad, but then those people would all still be alive."

• Like 4

the strip that makes the horrible sound when you drive on it (sorry don't know the name).

Rumble strip.

I have in my life , accidentally driven out of my lane and onto the grass, and it's a shock that wakes you the heck out (metaphorically.... I have never fallen asleep driving).

That road had  a huge shoulder and he still hit the grass.

While the driver said he was texting I am sure they did some drug tests too because he's ridiculous.  I know texting can be that bad.  But still.

• Like 2

ugh.  I just lost a post.  I hate that.

911 dispatcher - another site has the tapes.  the dispatcher did call the correct county dispatcher (before and after the accident)  the cell tower would have routed the call to the wrong county.

a "no texting" law is as effective as a restraining order.  it's only good in retrospect.  distracted driving is already illegal - that includes (as reported by truck drivers) people eating cereal, putting on make-up, shaving, etc.  (i've seen the last two more than I've seen someone texting)

another site brought up the "why didn't they honk?"  more than one commenter shared their experience with honking at a distracted driver.  talk about road rage and dangerous driving -the 'distracted' driver just stepped up their reckless driving  .. . the most dangerous response was for the distracted driver to slow down - and pull a gun.  he also followed those people for miles.  he was eventually arrested.

• Like 2

ugh.  I just lost a post.  I hate that.

911 dispatcher - another site has the tapes.  the dispatcher did call the correct county dispatcher (before and after the accident)  the cell tower would have routed the call to the wrong county.

a "no texting" law is as effective as a restraining order.  it's only good in retrospect.  distracted driving is already illegal - that includes (as reported by truck drivers) people eating cereal, putting on make-up, shaving, etc.  (i've seen the last two more than I've seen someone texting)

another site brought up the "why didn't they honk?"  more than one commenter shared their experience with honking at a distracted driver.  talk about road rage and dangerous driving -the 'distracted' driver just stepped up their reckless driving  .. . the most dangerous response was for the distracted driver to slow down - and pull a gun.  he also followed those people for miles.  he was eventually arrested.

I brought up about honking.  See, I personally wouldn't honk because I wouldn't want the person to get road rage. 

And yet, I still wonder if I then witnessed an accident and saw the people dying, if I still wouldn't think to myself, "I should have risked the road rage to save all these people."  

It wouldn't be rational, but I would still feel that way: that I should have done something, and it would nag and upset me for a long time afterwards.

• Like 2

I brought up about honking.  See, I personally wouldn't honk because I wouldn't want the person to get road rage. 

And yet, I still wonder if I then witnessed an accident and saw the people dying, if I still wouldn't think to myself, "I should have risked the road rage to save all these people."  

It wouldn't be rational, but I would still feel that way: that I should have done something, and it would nag and upset me for a long time afterwards.

you can make yourself crazy engaging in "coulda, woulda, shoulda".   it's natural - but it's not healthy.

• Like 3

So what if someone honks. Like anyone can hear that over the radio and vehicle noise anyways. If you watch the video the gf says she wishes she could read the tag number and the driver says he doesn't want to get that close in case guy hits someone. From that distance and that distracted or whatever, I doubt he driver would have noticed honking.

I don't see any way that guy was "just" texting. I think he had to be high or drunk too at a minimum. Too many close calls, too much grass, too many medians. Any normal person would've sat their phone down after a close call....or two....or three...or four. I will be interested to see what comes out of the blood tests. I am glad they have the video though. It should help keep him from pleading some extenuating circumstance to say he wasn't at fault. 

Edited by texasmom33

"Just texting" but at different points the videographers mention they estimate that he was driving at speeds between 65-80mph.

Some info that struck me as unusual from the article. He's 20 years old - yet plays football for an area high school. The info is off, or the young man may also have some other cognitive challenges. I'm guessing we will learn more eventually, but maybe not for a while since I imagine there will be a number of criminal and perhaps civil suits filed and under investigation.

That young man's life, as he anticipated it, is over. I have to wonder also about the person with whom he was texting. How much liability does s/he bear?

• Like 1

"Just texting" but at different points the videographers mention they estimate that he was driving at speeds between 65-80mph.

Some info that struck me as unusual from the article. He's 20 years old - yet plays football for an area high school. The info is off, or the young man may also have some other cognitive challenges. I'm guessing we will learn more eventually, but maybe not for a while since I imagine there will be a number of criminal and perhaps civil suits filed and under investigation.

That young man's life, as he anticipated it, is over. I have to wonder also about the person with whom he was texting. How much liability does s/he bear?

I hope none. How in the world are we supposed to know what someone is doing when they text us? 

• Like 7

Interesting question.  I think the answer is 'little to none.'   How could they bear any?  The only way I can think of would be if the person texting while driving told the recipient they were texting, and that person encouraged them to text and drive.   I'm not even sure that would make them liable?

Edited by marbel
  • Like 1

I hope none. How in the world are we supposed to know what someone is doing when they text us?

Good point. I think part of me is just curious about what was so fascinating that he couldn't put down the phone, since apparently he was having a 20 minute long text conversation before the crash. I wonder, what if the text record shows that he said anything about having just about run off the road, you know, something like that.

While the driver said he was texting I am sure they did some drug tests too because he's ridiculous.  I know texting can be that bad.  But still.

I'm a traffic engineer. Basically I design traffic signals for a living but also I do traffic studies which includes looking at accident reports and talking to City officials (police, signal maintenance, etc).  There has been a steep increase in traffic signal poles getting hit in the last five years. Because of texting and driving. It is as bad as drinking and driving. The accidents are just as severe. 

• Like 3

Ditto. 

It's now illegal to touch your phone for any reason. And yet, I see people texting and driving on the daily.

It's illegal to touch your phone while driving here and the police have been very proactive in pulling people over. Also, the fines can be steep. My hairdresser "picked up her phone for just a second!" and ended up with 3 points on her license (10 points gets your license suspended and points stay on your license for awhile - I got a speeding ticket once and it was 1 point for reference) and a $500 ticket. They also had a big sign campaign here letting everyone know not to text/call while driving. I think it's helped. 

A separate "no texting" law isn't really necessary. "Reckless driving" covers it just fine.

I think it is necessary.  Reckless driving, to my knowledge, indicates that you are currently being reckless.  A no texting law would indicate that you're an idiot and will likely become reckless in the near future.  I could be wrong.

For the record, the Texas House overwhelmingly passed a bill JUST LAST WEEK that would make it illegal to text and drive. It has been sent to the Senate and is awaiting a vote. With this concurrent tragedy, I think it's safe to say this bill will become state law.

The accident photos are interesting. The truck looks like the driver wouldn't have made it, whereas I look at the big van and damage done to it and wonder how all but 1 passenger died especially since mossy had on seatbelts. The driver of the van, yes, there's a lot of damage there, but the rest of the van looks to have held up well. Just interesting. Nothing to do with texting/driving, etc. 😒

The accident photos are interesting. The truck looks like the driver wouldn't have made it, whereas I look at the big van and damage done to it and wonder how all but 1 passenger died especially since mossy had on seatbelts. The driver of the van, yes, there's a lot of damage there, but the rest of the van looks to have held up well. Just interesting. Nothing to do with texting/driving, etc. 😒

Well, considering the van's occupants were older...(oldest was 87, though some were younger).

I also read that, though the van had seat belts, they were lapbelts only which means possible head/spinal injuries upon impact. No chest belt to hold the torso.

• Like 1

Well, considering the van's occupants were older...(oldest was 87, though some were younger).

I also read that, though the van had seat belts, they were lapbelts only which means possible head/spinal injuries upon impact. No chest belt to hold the torso.

Agreed. No air bags either I bet.

That Dodge dually is a massive truck.  I couldn't tell from the video if it was a 3500 or a 2500 model or what, but you're looking at a curb weight of close to 7,000 lbs for a truck like that. That van didn't stand a chance.

I also still think he was drunk and for some reason it seems like drunks have an ability to walk away from horrible accidents without a scratch, or only minor injuries. I've always wondered why that is, or if it's just a perception for the occasional freak accident like this. But it seems whenever you hear something like, "family of four headed to church killed by drunk driver," the impaired driver lived and everyone else died. 

I'm a traffic engineer. Basically I design traffic signals for a living but also I do traffic studies which includes looking at accident reports and talking to City officials (police, signal maintenance, etc).  There has been a steep increase in traffic signal poles getting hit in the last five years. Because of texting and driving. It is as bad as drinking and driving. The accidents are just as severe. 

That's because there's really no difference in the driving pattern.  Driving while under the influence (whether of alcohol, drugs, or any other substance) is illegal because the driver suffers divided attention impairment as a result of the ingestion of the substance.  Drivers who are texting, or talking on their phones, or playing on their tablets are, likewise, suffering from divided attention impairment.  EVERY vehicle is potentially a deadly weapon; I'm at a loss as to why people cannot be convinced to focus their attention on driving while they're, you know, driving.  What a tragedy.

• Like 2

That's because there's really no difference in the driving pattern. Driving while under the influence (whether of alcohol, drugs, or any other substance) is illegal because the driver suffers divided attention impairment as a result of the ingestion of the substance. Drivers who are texting, or talking on their phones, or playing on their tablets are, likewise, suffering from divided attention impairment. EVERY vehicle is potentially a deadly weapon; I'm at a loss as to why people cannot be convinced to focus their attention on driving while they're, you know, driving. What a tragedy.

I know I've seen studies that even hands free phone conversations impair driver focus. What about talking with other passengers in the car? Listening to the radio?

Having someone to talk to or something to listen to seems helpful to me when I am tired. Of course being tired is brain impairing all on its own...

Texting seems particularly dangerous because eyes and hands are engaged.

I know I've seen studies that even hands free phone conversations impair driver focus. What about talking with other passengers in the car? Listening to the radio? Less of a problem; different brain function. Edited to clarify:  This was a quick response to the RADIO portion.  The other conduct you mention is not the same.  Even hands-free cell use is DANGEROUS; there is still significant impairment.   Talking with passenger, less bad.

Having someone to talk to or something to listen to seems helpful to me when I am tired. Of course being tired is brain impairing all on its own...  Sleep deprivation is functionally the same as DUI/texting.

This is a GREAT paper to read and to pass on to any new/prospective drivers.

http://www.nsc.org/DistractedDrivingDocuments/Cognitive-Distraction-White-Paper.pdf

Edited by JoJosMom
  • Like 2

I don't think he is still in high school.  I'm not sure where I saw it( went back and looked and it isn't in this article) but I got the impression he had played high school football when he was there for a little bit.  I also got the impression that he hadn't graduated, but like I said, I cannot find the place where I got that impression.  

Here is a site that shows he only played football his freshman year and has him graduating in 2015.

http://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/jack-young/nwiZ7vTrEeKZ5AAmVebBJg/gendersport/football-stats.htm

But somewhere I remember reading an interview with a teacher or something that made me think he was a fringe student and may not have graduated.

I was under the impression he played when he was in high school - but is out of high school.  I had no impression as to whether he graduated or not.

look at where the engine is in that van - it's inside the passenger compartment.  in addition that only lap belts allow a lot of head/chest trauma that can kill a person on impact.  (though even chest belts can lead to severe trauma that can kill a person on impact. thinking of one case where not a mark on the bodies of three people who were killed by their arteries being severed from their hearts upon impact.)

Agreed. No air bags either I bet.

That Dodge dually is a massive truck.  I couldn't tell from the video if it was a 3500 or a 2500 model or what, but you're looking at a curb weight of close to 7,000 lbs for a truck like that. That van didn't stand a chance.

I also still think he was drunk and for some reason it seems like drunks have an ability to walk away from horrible accidents without a scratch, or only minor injuries. I've always wondered why that is, or if it's just a perception for the occasional freak accident like this. But it seems whenever you hear something like, "family of four headed to church killed by drunk driver," the impaired driver lived and everyone else died. 

texting will do that - I watched one kid who jump the curb, drove OVER the bushes in the median, then back down onto the road.  I initially thought he was drunk.  nope, just texting.  that was on a city street at no more than 20mph due to traffic and lights.

it's the fact this guy never stopped and would have had to have done that a for well over 20 miles. so either a complete conversation - or playing a game?  watching something? (that's getting more common) even after close calls he didn't put the phone down.  moron.  

he would have had airbags.  they did have to cut him out.

the reason drunks are more likely to not be severely injured is the alcohol relaxes them so they aren't all tense at impact.

This is a GREAT paper to read and to pass on to any new/prospective drivers.

http://www.nsc.org/DistractedDrivingDocuments/Cognitive-Distraction-White-Paper.pdf

Thanks!

Tiredness/sleepiness aren't just a matter of sleep deprivation. For example, I usually feel sleepy in the early afternoon after lunch, even when I am well rested.

Edited by maize

I know I've seen studies that even hands free phone conversations impair driver focus. What about talking with other passengers in the car? Listening to the radio?

Having someone to talk to or something to listen to seems helpful to me when I am tired. Of course being tired is brain impairing all on its own...

there are points I'll have to tell dudeling he can't talk to me because I'm driving.   usually an obnoxious merge where I have to have complete focus.   (the mercer weave  isn't the only one .. . . )

texting uses hands, eyes, and mind.   so none of those things are focused where they need to be - the road and other cars.

• Like 3

I think the speed of the impact was likely a big contributer to fatality. Two cars hitting head on at highway speeds (with one maybe going 80 mph) is an enormous force. The driver of the pickup would have had an airbag at least, the passengers in the van did not. Also, bench seats in vans often do not have head rests, there is nothing at all to limit whiplash.

Edited by maize
  • Like 3

there are points I'll have to tell dudeling he can't talk to me because I'm driving. usually an obnoxious merge where I have to have complete focus. (the mercer weave isn't the only one .. . . )

texting uses hands, eyes, and mind. so none of those things are focused where they need to be - the road and other cars.

Yes, I do the same thing: "hey, everybody be quiet, I have to really focus on the road right now!"

Even when they aren't talking to me there are times when I just need a distraction free environment.

• Like 3

Listening to something like the radio or a podcast does not bother me, perhaps because it is essentially one sided. However I have had conversations in the car that are distracting to the point that I have said, let's talk about this when we get home I need to focus on driving right now.

• Like 3

I've also read the difference with talking on the phone (hands-free) vs to another occupant is that they can be aware of the road situation, at least if it's an adult. If DH is driving and he and I are chatting and something happens that requires extra attention, I see it too. I stop talking. Though we may be talking, I'm an extra set of eyes. 

Kids can definitely be a distraction and I've told my kids often that they need to follow rules in the car about not kicking the driver's seat, not screaming, and responding immediately if they're told to settle down/be quiet because driver needs to focus. 

• Like 5

I have read (articles, not original studies) that the phone conversation takes more attention than the conversation with a person who is present in the car. Something the brain has to do when the other person is only heard.

I can from my own experience confirm that a hands-free phone conversation while driving distracts me much more than talking to a passenger in my car.

• Like 2

I have read (articles, not original studies) that the phone conversation takes more attention than the conversation with a person who is present in the car. Something the brain has to do when the other person is only heard.

I can from my own experience confirm that a hands-free phone conversation while driving distracts me much more than talking to a passenger in my car.

I'm pretty sure Mythbusters did this one. The passengers in the car experience any change in circumstance with the driver and will likely alter the conversation accordingly, whereas the person on the other end of the phone wouldn't be aware of a potential problem.

• Like 2

Well, I'm not sure about the no hands on phones rule.  When I use my GPS, I hold my phone in my hand and both hands on the wheel.  I glance at it just like my speed and mirrors.  It is not distracting.  I set it before I start.  I also use hands free phone during driving and I use "Hey, Siri" voice to text often.  I find it not one bit more distracting than the multiple conversations between kids and me during a drive.  I do not assume if someone is holding their phone, they are texting or checking FB or something.

Days of flipping through tapes and cds...that was my most distracted driving days.  Rewind, stop, play...  Glad that does not exist anymore.

I honestly don't know what the answer is.  Easy to make laws and so hard to enforce them!